Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 2/6/2021 at 10:04 AM, LTtxfan said:

Wow... smdh 😂😂😂

nS9Etg04_bigger.jpg   Scott Kennedy   @ScoutKennedy

Sam Ehlinger ( @sehlinger3 ) was the model of consistency during Senior Bowl week and threw the prettiest outside ball of any quarterback in attendance. #SeniorBowl #NFLDraft #HookEm

The most recent post in the Cosmi thread has Cosmi nailing the loop-around defender AND has Sam throwing an outside ball. And boy was it pretty!... outside  

Think people suggesting he won't get drafted are exaggerating. I'm guessing 4th round and he'll be a starter eventually. Like 6 guys are gonna go in the first two rounds. His throwing is gonna look pretty good when he doesn't have to do double duty as a fullback anymore. Even Sark wanted him back.

Edited by Bevo14

he'll be a starter eventually.

He may get to start some games in his NFL career, be it due to injury or a terrible team wanting to see what they have in him, so I guess this technically has a chance to be true; but he’s never going to be a day one, season long starter.

Dak has always been the comp for me, they had very similar college stats (even though Dak had much better offensive coaching), similar physical profile, and checking Dak's draft scouting report I see a good deal of overlap.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016dprescott.php

Dak:

image.png.f7e97b3bbfbaf900b5dee274411785ae.png

Sam:

image.png.a166d7955c2d42493851b8d354b39c36.png

Dak wasn't seen as a day one starter by anyone, he was a project that could be developed behind an established established guy to potentially be a starter and I think that's pretty much how teams will view Sam. Dak went as a 4th round pick and 4th or 5th is where Sam will go to. Whether or not he develops into a starter depends on a million different factors (some outside of his control) but he'll get the chance. 

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

He said something along those lines in one of his early interviews.

Just because SARK said it during a press conference or interview doesn't mean it's the truth.  No way you publicly say something negative about Ehlinger as the new Head Coach at TEXAS...

SARK might be glad that Ehlinger is moving on to the NFL.

11 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

He said something along those lines in one of his early interviews.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just because SARK said it during a press conference or interview doesn't mean it's the truth.  No way you publicly say something negative about Ehlinger as the new Head Coach at TEXAS...

SARK might be glad that Ehlinger is moving on to the NFL.

No way would Sark want a QB with a delivery as slow as molasses in a New England snowstorm to stick around.

How can you bench the blond-haired, blue-eyed, hometown boy who has a video of himself saying 'hook'em' as a little kid and lost his father growing up? Even if benching him to turning the Horns around was as necessary as firing Tom Landry was to turn the Cowboys around, Sark didn't want the Jerry Jones role.

• Hook 'Em 1

back to comparing Sam to Dak (ugh) while also giving the caveat that "there's a million different factors that could determine whether or not he ever becomes a starter." right. there's actually not a million factors that go into whether or not Sam will ever become a starter, in fact there's really only a few- physical talent, football acumen, ability to perform on Sundays. it isn't very complicated.

this thread is totally cyclical. in the same way that no one would consider Sam a "Texas football legend" if instead of worshipping UT in Westlake he'd grown up in Muncie rooting for Purdue, nobody here would be comparing him to Dak fucking Prescott if he had played for Michigan or USC. the same fan base that was miffed at how Poona Ford could go undrafted ("DO THEY NOT WATCH FILM IN THE NFL?!?!?!) is over here comparing Sam to an MVP-level NFL QB and saying that he'll definitely become a starter, despite his film showing him to be a marginal NFL prospect at best. yeah, Vince, Colt, and Simms struggled to make it, but Sam Ehlinger is just destined for NFL greatness. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Recent post:  Cosmi thread has Cosmi nailing the loop-around defender AND has Sam throwing an outside ball. "And boy was it pretty!... outside "            Cant tell if sarcasm or not. Because he missed that throw by at least 5 yards.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

is over here comparing Sam to an MVP-level NFL QB and saying that he'll definitely become a starter, despite his film showing him to be a marginal NFL prospect at best. yeah, Vince, Colt, and Simms struggled to make it, but Sam Ehlinger is just destined for NFL greatness. 

You're ass fucking that straw man bro

1 minute ago, B00M said:

You're ass fucking that straw man bro

The Dak comparison is a good one, imo.  Dak wasn't considered a natural passer, has mechanical issues that linger to this day, similar intangibles. 

Dak's draft score was overall bad, but he wasn't terrible at any of the necessary boxes (hand size, velocity, agility).

Dak had character red flags in the draft that Sam doesn't have.  But Dak supposedly flipped this script in his interview with Jason Garrett.

Also, bear in mind the Cowboys drafted Dak above his grade, wanted him as a third-stringer, and tried to trade him off when backup Kellen Moore was injured.

• Hook 'Em 1

Completely agree. 

My point is that no one is saying SE is a sure thing, guaranteed starter or better than VY or Colt. That's just Derka setting the ball on the tee for himself. 

We're not even comparing SE to modern MVP caliber Dak. We're comparing him to the marginal NFL prospect Dak was coming out of MSU to illustrate that Dak represents his low probability potential. If i had to put money on it, SE will wash out of the NFL very quickly like the vast majority of good college QBs.

It's bizarre how invested in this Derka is but at least it's entertaining.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

Completely agree. 

My point is that no one is saying SE is a sure thing, guaranteed starter or better than VY or Colt. That's just Derka setting the ball on the tee for himself. 

We're not even comparing SE to modern MVP caliber Dak. We're comparing him to the marginal NFL prospect Dak was coming out of MSU to illustrate that Dak represents his low probability potential. If i had to put money on it, SE will wash out of the NFL very quickly like the vast majority of good college QBs.

It's bizarre how invested in this Derka is but at least it's entertaining.

lol ok. i referenced specific things that were said here today, but according to you that's "teeing myself up". oh, and responding to the Dak comparisons whenever they come up (so, once every several months) makes me "bizarrely invested"? okie silly dilly dokie o. what's bizarre is you "completely agreeing" with the Sam to Dak comparisons while also claiming that Sam probably will wash out very quickly in the league. yeah, sounds like a great comparison. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

lol ok. i referenced specific things that were said here today, but according to you that's "teeing myself up". oh, and responding to the Dak comparisons whenever they come up (so, once every several months) makes me "bizarrely invested"? okie silly dilly dokie o. what's bizarre is you "completely agreeing" with the Sam to Dak comparisons while also claiming that Sam probably will wash out very quickly in the league. yeah, sounds like a great comparison. 

Dude don't be obtuse. The comparison is as an NFL prospect coming out of college. And it is a fair one, every Dak draft profile lists his non-elite arm strength, inconsistent accuracy, grittiness, blah blah blah. Nobody is saying their expectation is he'll be a Dak in the NFL. He was drafted in the same range as Sam is projected now.

Like BOOM said above it isn't about predicting Sam will be an all-pro but I think you probababy realize that. Easier just to beat up on a strawman.

there's actually not a million factors that go into whether or not Sam will ever become a starter, in fact there's really only a few- physical talent, football acumen, ability to perform on Sundays. it isn't very complicated.

Sure, a guys pro career doesn't have any other factors. The NFL comp we are talking about was drafted to be developed over a few years but Tony Romo was injured in the preseason and Dak became a day one starter. I'm sure that didn't change his NFL trajectory in the slightest. Scheme, coaches, draft capital investment, non of those things matter, only talent and acumen. Vince Young's career would have been identical with Jeff Fisher and Andy Reid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

back to comparing Sam to Dak (ugh) while also giving the caveat that "there's a million different factors that could determine whether or not he ever becomes a starter." right. there's actually not a million factors that go into whether or not Sam will ever become a starter, in fact there's really only a few- physical talent, football acumen, ability to perform on Sundays. it isn't very complicated.

this thread is totally cyclical. in the same way that no one would consider Sam a "Texas football legend" if instead of worshipping UT in Westlake he'd grown up in Muncie rooting for Purdue, nobody here would be comparing him to Dak fucking Prescott if he had played for Michigan or USC. the same fan base that was miffed at how Poona Ford could go undrafted ("DO THEY NOT WATCH FILM IN THE NFL?!?!?!) is over here comparing Sam to an MVP-level NFL QB and saying that he'll definitely become a starter, despite his film showing him to be a marginal NFL prospect at best. yeah, Vince, Colt, and Simms struggled to make it, but Sam Ehlinger is just destined for NFL greatness. 

There's no guarantees. Most of these QBs will flame out. He has a shot to make it though and he will almost definitely get drafted.

Edited by Bevo14

45 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Dude don't be obtuse. The comparison is as an NFL prospect coming out of college. And it is a fair one, every Dak draft profile lists his non-elite arm strength, inconsistent accuracy, grittiness, blah blah blah. Nobody is saying their expectation is he'll be a Dak in the NFL. He was drafted in the same range as Sam is projected now.

Like BOOM said above it isn't about predicting Sam will be an all-pro but I think you probababy realize that. Easier just to beat up on a strawman.

Sure, a guys pro career doesn't have any other factors. The NFL comp we are talking about was drafted to be developed over a few years but Tony Romo was injured in the preseason and Dak became a day one starter. I'm sure that didn't change his NFL trajectory in the slightest. Scheme, coaches, draft capital investment, non of those things matter, only talent and acumen. Vince Young's career would have been identical with Jeff Fisher and Andy Reid. 

Dak really did luck into an extremely rare situation for a rookie QB. Has there ever been a more perfect scenario for a developing QB to succeed? Dallas had just blown a huge load building a young dominant OL with an elite RB to protect Romo. 

Dallas didn't even really want to draft Dak and had to settle for him. Two injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. Then they tried to bring in a veteran QB but that fell through. He apparently wasn't even all that accurate in practice but he was poised and could manage the offense so he got his shot.

On a different team, he doesn't get that opportunity as a rookie, and if he does, he's probably getting the shit knocked out of him like most young QBs in the NFL thrust into bad situations. And then who knows how or if he develops. 

• Hook 'Em 1

that might be a hint as to whether or not he was being sarcastic. 
Around this thread, you can never tell. I’m surprised someone isn’t blaming that on a bad route by the receiver. That’s the norm. Plus, I kinda thought it might have been a quote from some dipshit on Twitter.

giphy.gif

She’s got nice tits, but seems to have tiny nipples.

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Fucking Christ, derka. We get it. Sam isn’t as good as Danny Newsome. This is the oddest fucking hill to die on and you’re fucking derka

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Fucking Christ, derka. We get it. Sam isn’t as good as Danny Newsome. This is the oddest fucking hill to die on and you’re fucking derka

i have absolutely no idea what is getting you guys so riled up, or exactly what hill it is that i'm dying on (the one where i roll my eyes at comparing Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott i guess?), but don't let that stop you from being uber dramatic towards every single post that i make- which, btw is hilariously ironic. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i have absolutely no idea what is getting you guys so riled up, or exactly what hill it is that i'm dying on (the one where i roll my eyes at comparing Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott i guess?), but don't let that stop you from being uber dramatic towards every single post that i make- which, btw is hilariously ironic. 

Comparing Sam to Dak is just football talk man. His size, work ethic, demeanor etc. Nobody is saying he’s going to become the next 5k yard passer or a pro bowler lol. They do this shit every year with a hundred different kids. Calm the fuck down. Mark Ingram reminded people of emitt smith for fucks sake. You think Sam is just an average QB and that’s fine. I’m pretty certain he won’t be drafted 199th then go on to win 7 Super Bowls but which Michigan fan called that crazy shit happening. Did you think baker mayfield would take the browns to the playoffs? 

"calm the fuck down" he says. lol, do i not seem calm to you? you guys are hilarious. i'm not the one(s) in here losing my mind over someone else's completely benign posts. the way you guys rage at me for the littlest stuff is just too rich. guys- for the 50th time- this thread is not a Safe Space for Sam Ehlinger fan boys. people with differing opinions are allowed to respond to your posts. try and wrap your heads around that without losing it. 

oh and finally- what is the purpose of comparing Sam to Dak over and over if you're only going to end up saying, "well no one is saying that he's actually going to be as good as Dak, or have a career like Dak, or even make a roster for that matter."??? why not compare him to a poor man's Tebow, or to any other short-ish, stout, somewhat mobile QB who isn't a great passer? Why continue to all nod in solitude and agreement when comparing Sam to one of the best QBs in the NFL over and over, as if you're all being objective and rational with said comparisons? tough question, i know, but try and remain calm when answering.

Edited by shadow_operative

from thedraftnetwork.com:

Ehlinger is the billboard definition of a quarterback who’s good for the college game but will face many challenges on the next level. With below-average arm strength and hit-or-miss accuracy, he will have to be surrounded by targets who have a wide catch radius, just as he was at Texas. The Longhorns' offense was able to mask many of his deficiencies with half-field reads that allowed him to run if his first few options weren’t available. At the top of his dropbacks, Ehlinger can be real indecisive with where to go with the ball. There are lots of passing concepts that lack timing because of him hitching up in the pocket multiple steps prior to throwing. If unable to develop at QB, there may be some teams that approach him about a position switch elsewhere because of his build, physicality as a runner, and leadership qualities.   

Ideal Role: Developmental backup who may also be asked to experiment at other positions.

Scheme Fit: West Coast or Erhardt-Perkins offensive system–quick rhythm based throws with periodic deep shots down the field.

yeah, sounds just like Dak. a virtual clone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

from profootballnetwork.com:

Senior Bowl Performance

As expected, Sam Ehlinger didn’t move the needle a ton at the Senior Bowl, in regards to his NFL Draft stock. He was able to affiliate himself with NFL scouts and display his leadership ability. However, on the field, he was visibly limited, just as his tape echoed. His functional mobility earned him some nice plays, but as a passer, he failed to distinguish himself. That was evident even in the game, where Ehlinger completed just 40% of his passes

Sam Ehlinger’s limitations as a thrower

Additionally, as a thrower, Ehlinger leaves a lot to be desired. He gets by to an extent with some good mental traits.

There are times when he uses his eyes to manipulate safeties. He clearly has a decent understanding of all the different moving parts of a given play. Yet, Ehlinger doesn’t always act on that understanding consistently. He can be slow to pull the trigger when going through his progressions, and a lot of times, when he waits too long, he lowers his eyes and looks to run rather than extending the play.

Ehlinger’s arm doesn’t do him any favors, either. Ehlinger can generate decent velocity when his base is set, but overall, he has a below-average arm. His release is relatively slow and concentric, and he doesn’t display the ability or elasticity necessary to throw at different arm angles.

Ehlinger’s lack of arm strength can be somewhat mitigated in the short ranges, but it shows up much more often in the intermediate and deep ranges. There, he lacks the velocity to get the ball downfield quickly. His accuracy also lacks down-to-down consistency. Although he improved this somewhat over the course of his collegiate career, it’s still a major concern, especially in an NFL where things move faster and where windows are tighter.

The Verdict on Sam Ehlinger's draft stock:

However, that’s only half of the NFL equation. The other half consists of physical qualities, and there, Ehlinger comes up short. He lacks an NFL arm, both in terms of strength and elasticity. And he’s not as athletic as a dual-threat quarterback should be. Ehlinger’s experience and mentality should lend him an NFL career, but he’s almost certainly a Day 3 pick.

Similar to fellow Texas legend Colt McCoy, Ehlinger best profiles as a long-term backup. His competitive edge also gives him a chance in spot-starting situations.

Sam Ehlinger’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft

Anywhere from Round 5 to Round 7 is fair game for Ehlinger. I personally wouldn’t pick him until later on Day 3 — and there’s no guarantee he’s picked at all — but he has traits some NFL teams may gravitate to when looking for a quality backup. The potential fits for Ehlinger are fairly wide-reaching. Any team with a need for a backup, or an aging backup and a need for a QB3, could benefit from adding Ehlinger to the roster.

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

from profootballnetwork.com:

Senior Bowl Performance

As expected, Sam Ehlinger didn’t move the needle a ton at the Senior Bowl, in regards to his NFL Draft stock. He was able to affiliate himself with NFL scouts and display his leadership ability. However, on the field, he was visibly limited, just as his tape echoed. His functional mobility earned him some nice plays, but as a passer, he failed to distinguish himself. That was evident even in the game, where Ehlinger completed just 40% of his passes

Sam Ehlinger’s limitations as a thrower

Additionally, as a thrower, Ehlinger leaves a lot to be desired. He gets by to an extent with some good mental traits.

There are times when he uses his eyes to manipulate safeties. He clearly has a decent understanding of all the different moving parts of a given play. Yet, Ehlinger doesn’t always act on that understanding consistently. He can be slow to pull the trigger when going through his progressions, and a lot of times, when he waits too long, he lowers his eyes and looks to run rather than extending the play.

Ehlinger’s arm doesn’t do him any favors, either. Ehlinger can generate decent velocity when his base is set, but overall, he has a below-average arm. His release is relatively slow and concentric, and he doesn’t display the ability or elasticity necessary to throw at different arm angles.

Ehlinger’s lack of arm strength can be somewhat mitigated in the short ranges, but it shows up much more often in the intermediate and deep ranges. There, he lacks the velocity to get the ball downfield quickly. His accuracy also lacks down-to-down consistency. Although he improved this somewhat over the course of his collegiate career, it’s still a major concern, especially in an NFL where things move faster and where windows are tighter.

The Verdict on Sam Ehlinger's draft stock:

However, that’s only half of the NFL equation. The other half consists of physical qualities, and there, Ehlinger comes up short. He lacks an NFL arm, both in terms of strength and elasticity. And he’s not as athletic as a dual-threat quarterback should be. Ehlinger’s experience and mentality should lend him an NFL career, but he’s almost certainly a Day 3 pick.

Similar to fellow Texas legend Colt McCoy, Ehlinger best profiles as a long-term backup. His competitive edge also gives him a chance in spot-starting situations.

Sam Ehlinger’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft

Anywhere from Round 5 to Round 7 is fair game for Ehlinger. I personally wouldn’t pick him until later on Day 3 — and there’s no guarantee he’s picked at all — but he has traits some NFL teams may gravitate to when looking for a quality backup. The potential fits for Ehlinger are fairly wide-reaching. Any team with a need for a backup, or an aging backup and a need for a QB3, could benefit from adding Ehlinger to the roster.

The critique of his skillset is probably pretty accurate, but tying that to his 40% completion percentage in the senior bowl is a stretch.  There were several well-placed balls thrown by Sam that were just dropped by his receivers.  I don't recall the exact number, but it had to be 3-4.

• Like 1

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

With below-average arm strength and hit-or-miss accuracy

Dak:

• Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have

half-field reads that allowed him to run if his first few options weren’t available. At the top of his dropbacks, Ehlinger can be real indecisive with where to go with the ball.

Dak:

• Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)

There are lots of passing concepts that lack timing because of him hitching up in the pocket multiple steps prior to throwing.

Dak:

• Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I personally wouldn’t pick him until later on Day 3 — and there’s no guarantee he’s picked at all — but he has traits some NFL teams may gravitate to when looking for a quality backup.

Dak:

I think Prescott will get snatched up late on day three due to the flashes of talent that are evident on tape and an exceptional work ethic that promises improvement, but right now there isn’t much to show he’ll be anything more than a decent backup someday.

Fun Game!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

yeah, this is what's known as The Coach K Fallacy. You see Duke fans were unhappy with Coach K after his first four years and wanted him gone, and yet he went on to become one of the 3 or 4 greatest CBB coaches ever. So now every time a CBB coach gets a new job and doesn't do well for his first 3-4 years you always have fans rushing in to remind everyone that Coach K wasn't great at Duke for his first half decade, as if every Shaka Smart and Matt Doherty is really just the next Coach K in waiting. how's that working out for all those Shaka's and Doherty's? any of them become Coach K yet? okie dokie then. 

Edited by shadow_operative

"calm the fuck down" he says. lol, do i not seem calm to you? you guys are hilarious. i'm not the one(s) in here losing my mind over someone else's completely benign posts. the way you guys rage at me for the littlest stuff is just too rich. guys- for the 50th time- this thread is not a Safe Space for Sam Ehlinger fan boys. people with differing opinions are allowed to respond to your posts. try and wrap your heads around that without losing it. 

oh and finally- what is the purpose of comparing Sam to Dak over and over if you're only going to end up saying, "well no one is saying that he's actually going to be as good as Dak, or have a career like Dak, or even make a roster for that matter."??? why not compare him to a poor man's Tebow, or to any other short-ish, stout, somewhat mobile QB who isn't a great passer? Why continue to all nod in solitude and agreement when comparing Sam to one of the best QBs in the NFL over and over, as if you're all being objective and rational with said comparisons? tough question, i know, but try and remain calm when answering.

Calmer than you are....

• Like 1