Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, this is what's known as The Coach K Fallacy. You see Duke fans were unhappy with Coach K after his first four years and wanted him gone, only he went on to get it together and become one of the 3 or 4 greatest CBB coaches ever. So now every time a CBB coach gets a new job and doesn't do well for his first 3-4 years you always have fans rushing in to remind everyone that Coach K wasn't great at Duke for his first half decade, as if every Shaka Smart and Matt Doherty is really just the next Coach K in waiting.  fun game indeed. 

Jesus dude no, that's not what that is. It's showing that they are similar as NFL prospects. Seriously, choose 5 scouting reports from each. The strengths are the same, the weaknesses are the same. Not from Texas fans, from scouts. They are the same size and athletic profile. Remarkably similar stats. They played in shotgun heavy offenses with questions about how that will translate to the NFL. They are projected to be 3rd day picks. 

The point of the comparison isn't that Sam is destined to be a franchise qb/Dak clone. It's to show that hey, a guy that scouts saw pretty similarly to Sam coming into the league has found great success. I'm a Texas fan and seeing him have NFL success would make me happy. Dak represents his best case scenario upside. It's unlikely (success as an NFL qb always is) but the precedent is there, we aren't talking about Case McCoy here. 

I'm by no means a Sam fanboy btw. I appreciate what he did here but I was happy when he announced that he was moving on and I'm well aware of his limitations. I'm more than happy to hear a different opinion on him but actually engage with the conversation. Without using hindsight or what he's done with the Cowboys, why in your opinion is the Dak comparison so offensive? Honestly, what are you seeing about Dak Prescott in 2016 coming out of Mississippi St that most NFL teams didn't?

• Hook 'Em 1

Dak has always been the comp for me, they had very similar college stats (even though Dak had much better offensive coaching), similar physical profile, and checking Dak's draft scouting report I see a good deal of overlap.
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016dprescott.php
Dak:
image.png.f7e97b3bbfbaf900b5dee274411785ae.png
Sam:
image.png.a166d7955c2d42493851b8d354b39c36.png
Dak wasn't seen as a day one starter by anyone, he was a project that could be developed behind an established established guy to potentially be a starter and I think that's pretty much how teams will view Sam. Dak went as a 4th round pick and 4th or 5th is where Sam will go to. Whether or not he develops into a starter depends on a million different factors (some outside of his control) but he'll get the chance. 

Agree with this, was going to add this:
I'll add before someone else does, Sam probably doesn't have quite the arm talent that Dak does

So I’m basically with this 100 percent.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sam Ehlinger is good at football in general. He has the toolkit to succeed with incompetent coaching at the college level. If he has that, then imagine what he could be molded into around guys that are also being developed at the highest level. 

NFL players don't just come in the league and stay the same. The reason they get drafted is they continue to develop. The players that all have incredible careers in the NFL play an almost completely different game than they did in college and evolve with their bodies and capabilities over time. 

Sam has "it" he's a winner. In the face of defeat he concedes nothing - the question remains is "it" enough? For Tim Tebow it wasn't. For Dak it was. For sanchez it wasn't. For Josh allen it was. College success doesn't translate to NFL success especially with hardware or W/L record. 

Im hoping for the best for Sam, but the sad reality is that there is a very low likelihood of his success, just like there is a low likelihood for Trevor lawrence to succeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

surlybevo- where guys compare Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott over and over and all pos rep each other in agreement, and then react like this ^^^^ when someone else calls them on it. no one will ever accuse our football fans of being objective, that is for sure. 

That isnt even remotely close to why I posted that gif. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 7:21 AM, immamac said:

Im hoping for the best for Sam, but the sad reality is that there is a very low likelihood of his success, just like there is a low likelihood for Trevor lawrence to succeed. 

If I were TL I would refuse to play for about half the teams in the NFL. Make Goodell figure it out.

Were there rumors that Sam didn’t like Herman? Only thing I ever heard was people speculating based on a look or some other nonsense when Sam went to the sideline after a series. Probably more projection that anything.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Sam really did like Tom. Tom probably treated Sam pretty well since his whole job pretty much depended on Sam; at least to a greater extent than any other individual player.

• Hook 'Em 1

Were there rumors that Sam didn’t like Herman? Only thing I ever heard was people speculating based on a look or some other nonsense when Sam went to the sideline after a series. Probably more projection that anything.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Sam really did like Tom. Tom probably treated Sam pretty well since his whole job pretty much depended on Sam; at least to a greater extent than any other individual player.

Considering how he used him, I’d think Tom saw Sam as something to save his job.

10 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Only according to our favorite Carl, so take it for what it's worth. Might be true, but who knows?

23 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

He might be trying to be politically correct , but I thought he didnt like Herman and evidently had an extensive out brief discussing the bullshit in the program.

I don't know what to believe

Sam hates Tom Herman. Cannot stand him. 

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I like Ehlinger.  Dude oozes character.  That said, throwing 58 while taking 5 steps is a bit disingenuous.  I'm rooting for him.

Haha, I thought the same thing. You don't typically have the chance make a crow hop when making an in-game throw.

• Like 1