Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Sam is not dynamic in either phase. He's barely an above average running QB, but no elite speed or shake. His passing is below average and really bad when he's on the run. We're not gonna do shit in the offense heavy Big 12 with that at QB. Got to have a dynamic playmaker either running or passing. Sam is neither. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I blocked out some of the self pressuring Shane does but perhaps that is a side effect of the lines he played behind. Today the line looked plenty decent.  

My guess is they watch the film, see several throws Sam straight up missed, and decide to throw Shane out there some against Tulsa to see how it works out. 

No.

If u put in shane to beat up on the cupcake you destroy the team. Shane will fuck up under real pressure like USC will give.

The way you beat usc, is you start running the fucking ball. I donno if that means fire Tim " faggot" Beck, but at this point if TH doesn't figure it out hes gonna be fucked here at Texas. I donno if timmy isthe problem, but he needs to fix it. 

Houston struggled against Rice 2 years removed from TH so that tells me he's a great coach. If he can fix this offense and have them killin mother fuckers like the 2nd quarter drive I'll be fine. 

Tre and Keo as well as Danny have enough to take this team to the big12 championship. I love the receivers too, but I don't see it working the pass/run balance they currently have. I also dont see it working with the simple read and speed option they are running. You gotta have more plays. You gotta have more offense than that.

F U C K 

• Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

No.

If u put in shane to beat up on the cupcake you destroy the team. Shane will fuck up under real pressure like USC will give.

The way you beat usc, is you start running the fucking ball. I donno if that means fire Tim " faggot" Beck, but at this point if TH doesn't figure it out hes gonna be fucked here at Texas. I donno if timmy isthe problem, but he needs to fix it. 

Houston struggled against Rice 2 years removed from TH so that tells me he's a great coach. If he can fix this offense and have them killin mother fuckers like the 2nd quarter drive I'll be fine. 

Tre and Keo as well as Danny have enough to take this team to the big12 championship. I love the receivers too, but I don't see it working the pass/run balance they currently have. I also dont see it working with the simple read and speed option they are running. You gotta have more plays. You gotta have more offense than that.

F U C K 

I’m grasping for straws because we have a QB that misses basic throws. That’s gonna totally fuck us. Today defensive pressure was no excuse. 

Unfortunately accuracy throwing the ball is one of those innate talents.  You can improve incrementally, but today we were missing Mickey Mouse stuff. 

No.
F U C K 

O-line got zero push today. How are we gonna run the ball consistently? I like next to nothing about this offense.

Herman and Co. have always preferred Sam's personality over Shane's. I think that's basically what their competition has always come down to. How many times has Herman complained about how Shane "wasn't vocal enough"? Truth is he has never really had a fair shake as long as Mensa has been here. As has been pointed out, Shane had pure dumpster fire level OL/RB play, plus Dim Beck calling square peg in a round hole plays.

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

Allegedly they played sam because they wanted to use him in the run game and then only did that when we had to in the 4th.

Uh, they absolutely did not do it when we had to. On the last drive Maryland was playing a junk prevent defense with two rushers and one fat spy. That would have been the perfect time, and there was plenty of time to do it, to run a QB draw behind Porter's lead blocking. We never did it and instead opted to have Sam Ehlinger play the role of dropback passer with 4 targets against 8 defenders in pass coverage as Porter's first read was pass protection on a handful of plays.

Ab-fucking-surd.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Serious question: since we have the new redshirt rule, do y'all think we'll be seeing Rising or Thompson out there? Sam and Shane are just not going to do it. 

I was unaware of this new rule. I say we play Rising starting with Tulsa and if he can get us through TCU unbeaten/very competitive with 1 loss, you burn the shirt

Edited by Vince_McCoy_Williams
  • Like 1

Just now, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

I was unaware of this new rule. I say we play Rising starting with Tulsa and if he can get us through TCU unbeaten/very competitive with 1 loss, you burn the shirt

I just don't see what you have to lose at this point. If he sucks against Tulsa then you just put Sam or Shane back in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Sure, put him in, he will get injured again squeezing the ball with zero pocket presence and get injured again. 

I wish I was wrong, but gunslinger is what we will get for the rest of the year. Rising and the other QB only play in 4 games, max. They redshirt, and TH builds a stable of QBs like they had at buttplug state. 

A stable of QBs is very valuable in todays cfb. When one gets injured, move the next one in. Run those fuckers all day because they can slide and get game ending penalties easy. Look at Gary Johnson. 

I'd sure like to see Shane with a relatively clean pocket. He did alright in 2016 before the line went in the shitter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Kid has guts but makes way too many STUPID mistakes....Ridiculous that this University cannot find a quality QB.

Decent QBs don’t want a Charmin single ply OLine. Now however the OL is actually better IMO in some respects than the previous 2 years. Maybe we will get consideration from a serviceable QB if OL keeps improving. A serviceable OC is also a requirement decent QBs would want....

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Ehlinger lost me today when he threw it away on a 2-pt try. I believe that’s maybe the dumbest football play I’ve ever seen. Kid is not bright.

Weelllll, dunno if that 'lost' me, but it certainly was a moment that made me think 'how dumb is this kid?'

And, the dumbest play ever was called by Mack Brown, lining up for a long but certainly makeable FG and... hahaha! Fake! Punt! With an entire team on the field of big blockers, plus a kicker and a holder, it got run back 95 yards for a TD. Nebraska. Still can't figure out what could have made him think that was a Good Idea...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Weelllll, dunno if that 'lost' me, but it certainly was a moment that made me think 'how dumb is this kid?'

And, the dumbest play ever was called by Mack Brown, lining up for a long but certainly makeable FG and... hahaha! Fake! Punt! With an entire team on the field of big blockers, plus a kicker and a holder, it got run back 95 yards for a TD. Nebraska. Still can't figure out what could have made him think that was a Good Idea...

nope, worst play was the GDGD special in Lubbock, 2008. Absolutely insane crowd that's ready to just blow and this idiot calls a handoff to a gimpy Chris Ogbonnaya 6 yards deep in our own end zone. we had the best team in america and we essentially lost our national title shot on that play. that one play doesn't happen and we beat Tech.

• Like 1