Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

I agree but what team or coach right now would give him a shot at starting next year?  No one will, I’d say he’s doing good if he stays suiting up next year as a backup and doesn’t get third string or practice squad

The league doesn’t have 32 solid starting QBs, much less another 64 backups. Sam has put up enough decent tape in preseason to be on several squads in 23. Colts might keep him, I don’t take Foles playing out as a slap at Sam but simply the best decision. Foles is a very good short term solution and they aren’t eliminated yet odd as that sounds. Reich will land somewhere as will his OC and QB coach. The league is about linkages and trees. Sam will get a shot to compete. He has not shown he can be a starter yet.

They’d be further along as a team had they just left Sam in at QB. Foles has been awful. Ryan was poor too.

Chances are the Colts would be in the same predicament. With the exception being that most likely by now Sam would be in the concussion protocol. The team sucks. Badly. With an inept coaching staff. Why do some of you think Sam should be playing in this mess? They are doing him a favor. Sam will get his shot in Indy with the new coach or elsewhere.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Chances are the Colts would be in the same predicament. With the exception being that most likely by now Sam would be in the concussion protocol. The team sucks. Badly. With an inept coaching staff. Why do some of you think Sam should be playing in this mess? They are doing him a favor. Sam will get his shot in Indy with the new coach or elsewhere.

Cause reps help. Immensely. People know it’s a shit show so Sam has limited downside in the show. But, if he shows some merit, that increases his future chances. If you think Sam will ball up in the fetal position, then, yeah, don’t play him. If you think that, you probably outta get your noggin checked cause there isn’t any basis for it.

The organization knows Ryan and Foles are not the future. That’s not to say Ryan won’t be back next year. If they think Sam may be a future option, then, yes, the organization would be further along had they explored him more. Would they have made the playoffs with Sam or look good right now? Most likely not. This is a look into the Colts future. They opted not to take it.

Right now, playing is Sam’s best shot at a starting job opportunity.

Believe they said, this was the Colts first TD in 30 drives.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's isn't about catching a break.  Love him, what he did and what he stood for at UT but Sam doesn't have starting NFL QB arm talent or decision making ability.  Whether he even has enough to be a career back up is also undetermined at this point.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's isn't about catching a break.  Love him, what he did and what he stood for at UT but Sam doesn't have starting NFL QB arm talent or decision making ability.  Whether he even has enough to be a career back up is also undetermined at this point.  

What qualifies you to say this? And that’s a legitimate question.

I get the question about his arm. The decision making ability is an absolute unknown at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

If Chase Daniel can carve out a 14 season (and counting) career as a backup, there’s no reason Ehlinger can’t. But that actually *is* about catching a break, I’d say.

While I think it’s premature to dismiss him as a career backup plug-in occasional starter (obvious comparison Colt McCoy)….

….man, that penultimate pass to an open receiver on the sideline at the (maybe) edge of FG range….sailed. He’s got to be able to connect on that to survive in any capacity

13 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

While I think it’s premature to dismiss him as a career backup plug-in occasional starter (obvious comparison Colt McCoy)….

….man, that penultimate pass to an open receiver on the sideline at the (maybe) edge of FG range….sailed. He’s got to be able to connect on that to survive in any capacity

I was pleasantly surprised by his Hail Mary. Came up a few yards short of the end zone but looked impressive.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...