Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 11/17/2019 at 11:56 AM, satyanash said:

That's the response of a kid that has to fall in line and isn't able to say what he wants to. The kids can only run what play is called. It's obvious that most of them are handcuffed by what is coming in from the sidelines. There are certainly some underachievers, but for the most part, they are set up for failure, and its a damn shame. 

On 11/16/2019 at 9:30 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Man. You lovvvveee Sam. It’s like you think he’s playing out of this world and it’s the only reason we’re competitive. He’s mediocre. Nothing more, nothing less.

Seems to me you're way off the mark here.  He's not Colt right now...but he IS a reason they aren't a dumpster fire completely right now for sure IMO.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:56 AM, satyanash said:

I've noticed this about the offense. Compare that to OU and you see that they come with a purpose on EVERY FUCKING DRIVE. Maybe its because they have better players, better game plan, worse defense over the years which compels them to do so but whatever it is, they show up ready. They impose their will, show a sense of urgency and execute like no other. 

Whereas Texas shows up and hopes to do stuff whatever that stuff is and shrugs shoulders when they can't and on to the next drive to be seven down.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's like 35th on the list to be concerned about right now.  Also, our play calling and specifically sequencing this year is fucking terrible.

I agree.

I think Sam’s best trait is his love for the game. I wonder how much “give a fuck” he has left in him this year. I get the impression he knows his coaches are a complete joke.

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

One play I noticed sums up what I’ve been seeing. Sam had Duvernay open on a simple short crossing route. But Sam double clutched and stared him down for an extra second or two, giving the ISU defender enough time to close the distance and hit Duv as soon as he caught it. 

Had Sam just thrown the ball without hesitating, Duv catches it with room to run and probably gains at least another 5 yards.

9 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

He’s self sacking so much

These are related. He's slow to the third progression and check down.

Edited by JBJ

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Another thing about OU, you might hold them up for a while, but you aren’t gonna stop them.

That's because they change things up if they don't work. You saw that against Baylor, initially you saw Lincoln using upperclassmen WR like AD Miller, Basquine in absence of CD Lamb as he thought they might give them a better shot and it didn't work so what does he do? Brings in his stable of true freshmen 5 star WR in Wease, Haselwood, Stogner(TE) and they made all the difference. They scored 3 of the 4 TDs OU scored.

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

So you agree, yet you called him mediocre, and just said his best trait is his love for the game (competitiveness), yet you wonder how much “give a fuck” he has left. Take a lap. Take two fucking laps. 

Calm down, Rex. I think Westlake is a wonderful high school and that Highland Park is filled with wonderful people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re m.o. is to lob hyperbole-laden inflammatory bombs (though they’re at Greenspoint so who cares), contradict yourself, and get defensive with attacks you perceive will have some effect on those calling you out. 

Rex, I’ve always enjoyed arguing with you. That will never change.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Totally agree with you but pretty sure he didn’t play a few games last year (maybe he just missed one). With the start he got off to, the stinkers versus OU and TCU, and the lack of substantive improvement in completion % and QBR leave me wanting. 

Still, agreed that he’s nowhere near a problem. He’s a significant asset. And to say he’s mediocre is silly. 

I think he left Baylor early and then Iowa State midway.  I think.

Sam totally fucked,j jinxed, boodooed everythkng with his stupid, arrogant ill-advised comment after the Georgia game.  I knew it at the time - said it like he’d been waiting to say it just like VY - 

Yeah that was some forced bullshit. I’m sure he was caught up in the moment, but it was still foolish.

One play I noticed sums up what I’ve been seeing. Sam had Duvernay open on a simple short crossing route. But Sam double clutched and stared him down for an extra second or two, giving the ISU defender enough time to close the distance and hit Duv as soon as he caught it. 
Had Sam just thrown the ball without hesitating, Duv catches it with room to run and probably gains at least another 5 yards. Why did he hesitate there? Why the second guessing? 
He looks indecisive too often. He is not playing with confidence. Dogshit coaching has drained it out of him or something.
These are related. He's slow to the third progression and check down.

It's a mix of these, IMO. Sam has shown to be decent at best as a decision maker over the course of his career. He can be slow to make the throw and also can get caught staring down a target. He's doing it ten games into year three so he is who he is there.

As a coaching staff, if you can't correct that, you have him go 1-2 and run and make sure he fucking slides. It's pretty obvious when you watch him play that he feels like he has to make as much happen as possible every snap. Whether that's explicitly coming from the staff or it's just implied by the poor game plans, I don't know. That distinction doesn't really matter in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sam is regressing. He still doesn't see the middle of the field, and only when he started checking down late in the 3Q did the offense start moving the ball consistently. The problem is though routes are open all game. That said Sam is least of the problems on offense.

It also doesn't help that Texas almost exclusively runs 11 personnel and the TE is the worst player on the field for either team. It also doesn't help that the only 2 WRs that run good routes and fight for the ball consistently are Duvernay and Johnson, and Johnson has missed half the season due to injury. I would tell Epps to hit the portal, he needs to be a TE but refuses.

Edited by HtownHorn

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Sam is regressing. He still doesn't see the middle of the field, and only when he started checking down late in the 3Q did the offense start moving the ball consistently. The problem is though routes are open all game. That said Sam is least of the problems on offense.

It also doesn't help that Texas almost exclusively runs 11 personnel and the TE is the worst player on the field for either team. It also doesn't help that the only 2 WRs that run good routes and fight for the ball consistently are Duvernay and Johnson, and Johnson has missed half the season due to injury. I would tell Epps to hit the portal, he needs to be a TE but refuses.

Epps can’t play TE because he can’t block a 3rd grader 

• Like 1

Great competitor. Great ambassador for the school. Tough as fucking nails.  Will always love him for these things.
Good passing skills.  Average arm.  Love that he can run over a LB for 5 or 6 yards.   Our next level needs to be someone who runs around and dismisses LBs for 15 yards.

I was thinking the same. There was a comment about running at Baylor with the QB like OU did I tell he matchup last week. I thought that it made sense, but what Ehlinger has as an 8 yard run is a 15 yarder for Hurts. Two different levels of speed and ability.

And I love Sam even if I echoed my displeasure with his play at times. He is what we needed to get back to the level of QB play at the position. I still think he will have a great year next year. But to get to the next level as a program, you need someone faster at QB to really exploit the matchup against a LB. Also, need someone with a bigger arm. (Both of which I know are not easy to find)

31 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

I was thinking the same. There was a comment about running at Baylor with the QB like OU did I tell he matchup last week. I thought that it made sense, but what Ehlinger has as an 8 yard run is a 15 yarder for Hurts. Two different levels of speed and ability.

And I love Sam even if I echoed my displeasure with his play at times. He is what we needed to get back to the level of QB play at the position. I still think he will have a great year next year. But to get to the next level as a program, you need someone faster at QB to really exploit the matchup against a LB. Also, need someone with a bigger arm. (Both of which I know are not easy to find)

he is not having a great year next year.  he's a good QB and a gamer but the offense is broken and has been figured out by opposing DC's.  Its not Sam's fault.  It is ALL, every last bit of it, on Tom Herman and his merry band of idiots.

• Like 2

he is not having a great year next year.  he's a good QB and a gamer but the offense is broken and has been figured out by opposing DC's.  Its not Sam's fault.  It is ALL, every last bit of it, on Tom Herman and his merry band of idiots.

You are assuming that the offense doesn’t get “fixed.” I am assuming that someone is brought in to get Tom the fuck out of the way.

17 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

You are assuming that the offense doesn’t get “fixed.” I am assuming that someone is brought in to get Tom the fuck out of the way.

I get it but what you are saying is not going to happen.  Tom "Mensa" Herman's only calling card is his offense.  He is not going to let someone run a different offense or tweak his offense.  there is too much hubris.  unless by "get the fuck out of the way" you mean firing said Herman.

• Like 2

Great competitor. Great ambassador for the school. Tough as fucking nails.  Will always love him for these things.
Good passing skills.  Average arm.  Love that he can run over a LB for 5 or 6 yards.   Our next level needs to be someone who runs around and dismisses LBs for 15 yards

Agree with most of what you said except the great passing skills part. He has horrible accuracy on deep balls and average accuracy on 10-20 yard throws, often either overthrowing or throwing at the legs.

It’s easy to make the excuse that our offensive playcalling sucks, which it does, but Sam also misses key passes and we don’t have LJH to magically catch everything. Drives stall when he makes bad throws to average receivers (except Duv of course).

I think he falls somewhere between David Ash and Chris Simms. Certainly the best QB since 2009, but nowhere near Colt or Vince.

I get it but what you are saying is not going to happen.  Tom "Mensa" Herman's only calling card is his offense.  He is not going to let someone run a different offense or tweak his offense.  there is too much hubris.  unless by "get the fuck out of the way" you mean firing said Herman.

I truly think that there will be changes for the better. Getting Tom’s guys out will be a huge first step. The more he feels discomfort, the better. We will need someone who comes in and tells him to get out of the way. Someone who has proven more than he has and won’t get run over.