Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

4 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

What’s up with the rumors that Yurcich wasn’t calling the plays?

Because the game plan looked like a classic Herman Big 12 road game plan where we run into loaded boxes, give up sacks against 3-8 looks, and we are inefficient as fuck. Nothing from this game looked like what Yurcich called against UTEP or in any game while at OSU.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because the game plan looked like a classic Herman Big 12 road game plan where we run into loaded boxes, give up sacks against 3-8 looks, and we are inefficient as fuck. Nothing from this game looked like what Yurcich called against UTEP or in any game while at OSU.

Yes, I unfortunately watched the game, too. After hearing about Tom Herman using play calling sheets during the game, I was questioning about the legitimacy of said rumor.

Edited by USNALonghorn

On InsideTexas they're speculating that Yurcich may have stayed behind for contact tracing-related reasons (same story with Hudson Card)

Seriously, how would this be not generally known to anyone covering the game that is remotely paying attention?

Or is that the issue? The “journalists” are covering the games remotely?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dude had a "shitty" game, went 67.5% and 5 TD, 1 INT, and rushed for 16/69 @ 4.3 yard average with a TD.
That was a shitty game.  Can't wait for the good ones.

I think you are cherry picking some stats here...

If you take out the last 3min of the game and look at the other 95%. Those completions and yards will tell a more accurate picture of why it didn’t feel like a great game. There were a ton of poorly thrown balls and bad decisions - plays not made, and there were a ton of wr screens that inflated his completion percentage. It’s not like he was carving up the defense, so excluding the last two drives, it wasn’t great. The last two drives were pretty damned good, they were his best work of the day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, EastTexan said:

I'd say OL, special teams, tackling, coaching had a bit to do with Sam having to play his ass off. Lot of moxey by Mr Ehlinger.

Hook'em!

No one ever said he doesn’t have a lot of moxey, plenty of that.  He just has a lack of decision making and accuracy, this wasn’t the first or last time we will see that.  

Edited by Hook1997

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

No one ever said he doesn’t have a lot of moxey, plenty of that.  He just has a lack of decision making and accuracy, this wasn’t the first or last time we will see that.  

Outside of the first couple of drives, he looked off the entire game.

Then he decided to be good on the last 3 drives.

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Yep, he was a second slow and somehow got away with it. I’ll give him a pass if his OC was indeed not at the game.

21 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

If you take out the last 3min of the game and look at the other 95%. Those completions and yards will tell a more accurate picture of why it didn’t feel like a great game. There were a ton of poorly thrown balls and bad decisions - plays not made, and there were a ton of wr screens that inflated his completion percentage. It’s not like he was carving up the defense, so excluding the last two drives, it wasn’t great. The last two drives were pretty damned good, they were his best work of the day.

You have a very odd definition of "cherry picking".  In point of fact, YOU are the one "cherry picking" stats.

I mean, "let's take out the best drives of the day and he doesn't look as good" is kind of an obvious take.

I'm not going through the whole game, but

Drive 1:  4 for 4 for 37 yards, 2 yard rushing TD.

Drive 2:  2 for 3 for 16 yards

Drive 3:  3 for 3 for 48 yards and 1 TD

That gets us through the 1st quarter at 9/10 and 101 yards, 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, so yeah, I think you're not really seeing things very well this morning if you think "taking away the last two drives" makes him look pedestrian.  Did he look as good during the middle stretch of the game?  No.  That's why they play 4 quarters.  Nobody is saying he's Vince Young, by the way.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dude had a "shitty" game, went 67.5% and 5 TD, 1 INT, and rushed for 16/69 @ 4.3 yard average with a TD.

That was a shitty game.  Can't wait for the good ones.

His”  shitty” stats were helped by Schooner’s early drops and Eagles unfortunate drop, at least a couple scores there.

41 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

TILstats are only kept for the first 57 minutes of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You have a very odd definition of "cherry picking".  In point of fact, YOU are the one "cherry picking" stats.

I mean, "let's take out the best drives of the day and he doesn't look as good" is kind of an obvious take.

I'm not going through the whole game, but

Drive 1:  4 for 4 for 37 yards, 2 yard rushing TD.

Drive 2:  2 for 3 for 16 yards

Drive 3:  3 for 3 for 48 yards and 1 TD

That gets us through the 1st quarter at 9/10 and 101 yards, 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, so yeah, I think you're not really seeing things very well this morning if you think "taking away the last two drives" makes him look pedestrian.  Did he look as good during the middle stretch of the game?  No.  That's why they play 4 quarters.  Nobody is saying he's Vince Young, by the way.

Sam didn't play his best game but WRs did him no favor until the final minutes of the game when Sam figured out Josh Moore is the go to guy when you absolutely need a third down conversation or TD. You don't throw to Schooler on 3rd and long where he has to make a contested catch. He is no Duverney. I hope between Jake Smith and Josh Moore we will have two reliable targets when things break down.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I can somewhat understand this feeling and no one is saying he had his best game but let's remember that he led the team to 41 points before he went bananas in the 4th.  

Now let's look at the drives that didn't score points.

1st drive was a 3 and out -- Brewer drops an extremely catchable ball on 3rd down which would have been a first.  Punt

2nd drive was a 3 and out -- Misses Schooler.  Bad pass on 3rd.

3rd drive was a punt after Brewer drops another ball in his hands for a first.  Punt

4th drive.  Penalty.  Stupid option, trick play which didn't go anywhere.  3 and 21.  Punt.

5th drive.  Interception.  Awful decision after a sloppy route 3 and 7.  2nd down Eagles dropped a ball in his hands.

6th drive.  Penalty.  Sack on 3rd and 23 when Tech rushes 3.  

7th drive.  Punt after an illegal chop block.  3rd and 17.  Sack when Tech rushes 3.

So those are the drives, mostly in the 2/3rd quarters where we stalled.

3 drops lead to 2 punts and a terrible pick.  3 other drives where he has 3rd and a country mile because of penalties.  He missed Schooler on the 2nd drive.  So, I don't think he played a clean game whatsoever but on the road, with some drops, penalties and still 41 points with 10 minutes in the game.  

Sam's going to probably always miss a couple of passes. He's not Colt when Colt got in the zone, but the pass to Schooler down the seam to start the come back once we were down 15 is a fucking seed.  Dude balled when he had to.  I think asking him to be perfect is a tough way to judge any player.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Seriously, how would this be not generally known to anyone covering the game that is remotely paying attention?

Or is that the issue? The “journalists” are covering the games remotely?

Herman's post game press conference appeared to be a zoom call. I doubt reporters are allowed to travel.

Edited by HtownHorn

Sam refuses to take easy yards against 3-8 defensive looks. It has been a problem going on 3 years now. RB and TE are wide open consistently against those looks in the flats and he never throws the ball to them. He either takes off running into the teeth of the 8 defenders, or throws a jump ball in to double/triple coverage. The 1st drive of the game he had two such looks, and ran both times out of a clean pocket for minimal gains. Both times he had Wiley and Ingram wide open respectively.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Sam refuses to take easy yards against 3-8 defensive looks. It has been a problem going on 3 years now. RB and TE are wide open consistently against those looks and he never throws the ball. He either takes off running into the teeth of the 8 defenders, or throws a jump ball in to double/triple coverage. The 1st drive of the game he had two such looks, and ran both times out of a clean pocket for minimal gains. Both times he had Wiley and Ingram wide open respectively.

Don't think that's a Sam thing, think that's a coaching thing.