Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if i hear another mfer try to say that his O line doesn't give him any time to throw i'm going to call you a dumb motherfucker to your face, because that's what you are. jesus christ, i mean the delusion about this kid is already off the charts (people are *literally* calling him blameless over and over and over), but to say that his O line doesn't give him time? yeah there's only two possibilities here: you either do not watch our games, or you have your head so far up Sam's ass that you're incapable of being even 1% objective. Sam has WAY more than enough time to throw on a very regular basis, and this is not for debate. jesus.

Lol. Repeating something false ten times doesn't make it any less false. You want to count and tell me how many seconds this was?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, satyanash said:

Lol. Repeating something false ten times doesn't make it any less false. You want to count and tell me how many seconds this was?

spacer.png

do you want me to go make a highlight reel of the countless times that Sam overthrew wide open receivers and held onto the for 5 seconds on Saturday, because i can promise you it will be a lot longer and more compelling than the one gif you've used as "definitive proof" that Sam never has any time to throw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

do you want me to go make a highlight reel of the countless times that Sam overthrew wide open receivers and held onto the for 5 seconds on Saturday, because i can promise you it will be a lot longer and more compelling than the one gif you've used as "definitive proof" that Sam never has any time to throw. 

Yes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's really surprising to read what I'm seeing here....As a Sooner, I don' t like any player from Texas.  

Not one.  

But, I respect the hell out of Ehlinger.  

Texas has talent on the outside, but the frustrations running the ball are still there.  OU's defense isn't very good, but if any defense knows someone can't run, well...we all know what happens after that.

Ehlinger is obviously not perfect, but he is a fucking badass that gives every single ounce of energy and passion he has, to the university he loves.  Texas fans should reciprocate.

Edited by HonorableJudgeSmails
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, HonorableJudgeSmails said:

but if any defense knows someone can't run, well...we all know what happens after that.

this, a thousand times, this. In 4 years, Tom Herman's program has not developed a running game and always abandons it quickly in favor of Hero Ball. It's baffling he was able to recruit Bijan. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Yes. 

done. it's going to take a few days, as i have a flight to Philly in a few hours, and i'll be gone for several days. that said, ive already sat down and watched our possessions through the first 16 minutes of the game and i've already seen and recorded several really good, clean pockets for Sam, a play where Sam has all day but holds onto the ball and takes a sack in the red zone when he had a wide open WR, another play where Sam makes a bad throw to an open WR who had beaten his man down the field for a TD, and two more read plays where Sam clearly made the wrong decision with the ball on a read play, resulting in lost yardage. That's through I think four drives for UT. fair warning, but you might have an existential crisis when the tape irrefutably crumbles your entire world view re: Sam Ehlinger. he has been far from perfect for three straight games now, and the tape shows it. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Just now, shadow_operative said:

done. it's going to take a few days, as i have a flight to Philly in a few hours, and i'll be gone for several days. that said, ive already say down and watched our possessions through the first 16 minutes of the game and i've already seem and recorded several really good, clean pockets for Sam, a play where Sam has all day but holds onto the ball and takes a sack in the red zone, another play where Sam makes a bad throw to an open WR who had beaten his man for a TD, and two more read plays where Sam clearly made the wrong decision with the ball. That's through I think four drives for UT. fair warning, but you might have an existential crisis when the tape irrefutably crumbles your entire world view. 

Trash. Get it done today pussy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

done. it's going to take a few days, as i have a flight to Philly in a few hours, and i'll be gone for several days. that said, ive already sat down and watched our possessions through the first 16 minutes of the game and i've already seen and recorded several really good, clean pockets for Sam, a play where Sam has all day but holds onto the ball and takes a sack in the red zone when he had a wide open WR, another play where Sam makes a bad throw to an open WR who had beaten his man down the field for a TD, and two more read plays where Sam clearly made the wrong decision with the ball on a read play, resulting in lost yardage. That's through I think four drives for UT. fair warning, but you might have an existential crisis when the tape irrefutably crumbles your entire world view re: Sam Ehlinger. he has been far from perfect for three straight games now, and the tape shows it. 

lulz

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

if i hear another mfer try to say that his O line doesn't give him any time to throw i'm going to call you a dumb motherfucker to your face, because that's what you are. jesus christ, i mean the delusion about this kid is already off the charts (people are *literally* calling him blameless over and over and over), but to say that his O line doesn't give him time? yeah there's only two possibilities here: you either do not watch our games, or you have your head so far up Sam's ass that you're incapable of being even 1% objective. Sam has WAY more than enough time to throw on a very regular basis, and this is not for debate. jesus.

same goes for all of the shit talk about how his WRs drop everything, because not only is that total bullshit, but Sam factually misses more wide open WRs every game than any four year starter i've ever seen. he literally misses 2-3x more wide open WRs than we have WRs who drop good passes throughout the course of a game (not to mention some of the catches they make that are behind them or at their feet). in fact, i can recall the announcers in each of our last theee games talking about how accuracy and consistency are problems for Sam Ehlinger, this after he's overthrown yet another wide open WR who was ready to score had he gotten a pass anywhere near his giant frame. give me a break. 

every post that claims that our O line gives Sam no time to throw and/or claims that our WRs are screwing Sam but not vice versa is so patently false, and stupid, and fanboyish that it's author should be required to take a timeout from posting, go back and watch the last three games, and then come back to this board with his head fully removed from Sam Ehlingers ass. god y'all are fucking embarrassing. University of Sam Ehlinger bullshit. 

Bro we can’t run the fucking ball. We couldn’t run the ball against fucking UTEP. Oline is soft as tissue paper

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Guy is wide open across the middle.

Yeah, whatever else poor Sam (I say that no joke) had to deal with, he missed that one.  Plenty of time for that throw. That's a quick cross on 2 steps by QB.  Whatever, he's human.  But he had Brewer there if he'd just;ve thrown it.

Edited by phdhorn

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

done. it's going to take a few days, as i have a flight to Philly in a few hours, and i'll be gone for several days. that said, ive already say down and watched our possessions through the first 16 minutes of the game and i've already seem and recorded several really good, clean pockets for Sam, a play where Sam has all day but holds onto the ball and takes a sack in the red zone, another play where Sam makes a bad throw to an open WR who had beaten his man for a TD, and two more read plays where Sam clearly made the wrong decision with the ball. That's through I think four drives for UT. fair warning, but you might have an existential crisis when the tape irrefutably crumbles your entire world view. 

It won't crumble anyone's world view to see Sam's mistakes highlighted. He's never been a polished, precise QB. He's a blunt force. But lots of teams have won a lot of games with worse QBs. He has given Tom good enough QB play that the roster and program SHOULD be setup for the next QB to step in and succeed. It's not.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

man, thank god you registered and started posting here, otherwise where else would we get our fix multi paragraph posts which all say the exact same thing over and over - namely that Sam Ehlinger is perfect has never done anything wrong as a QB ever. don't know what we'd do without your hard headed, juvenile, delusional rants in this thread.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

here's another:

i have to laugh because derka took his cell phone and recorded a dvr clip on a television and posted it on youtube.... just so he could make an argument on the internet.

that said.... he aint wrong.  sam is tough, has all heart, plays balls-out at times, but his accuracy has been disappointing this entire season

holy shit this hilarious coming from the leader of the "Sam has literally never done anything wrong and is jesus christ incarnate" crew. 

So now you resort to strawman logic because you got humiliated on here, yet you are too dumb to even know it and too dumb to even recognize a fallacy.

13 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Mehh WR and DB are about even. Our WRs can’t seem to get separation Like literally every other Big 12 team I watch unless the defense has a miscommunication or trips or some bs like that.

He does have a valid point. If you throw that ball accurately the receiver has the initial separation after the break but the throw covers the receiver up. I don’t know if it goes for a touchdown but it’s definitely a catch down near the goal. 

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

that said.... he aint wrong.  sam is tough, has all heart, plays balls-out at times, but his accuracy has been disappointing this entire season

Ehlinger is a good college player, and that's it.  Not great.

Not the reason I like the guy.   I like him because he's got more heart, character and dedication then the the rest of the clowns, combined, on our team.    That's what made that post-game scene so nauseating on Saturday.    The talk of him leaving after the season to play in the NFL?   Meh.  More likely leaving to get out of the toxic clusterfuck of a football program that collectively can't hold his jock because he's simply tired of the shit.

16 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Mehh WR and DB are about even. Our WRs can’t seem to get separation Like literally every other Big 12 team I watch unless the defense has a miscommunication or trips or some bs like that.

this is just delusional. Joshua Moore clearly had his man beat and was open for a touchdown. 

i have to laugh because derka took his cell phone and recorded a dvr clip on a television and posted it on youtube.... just so he could make an argument on the internet.

76%, 67% in the first two games. Fell into the 50s and below the last two. Hardly all season.

12 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Bolded is 100% true. We started moving the ball yesterday because he finally used his legs. We also had two drives end in the red zone because of awful interceptions. All of that can be true and he can still be our best QB since Colt. 

Best QB since Colt means how much, though? The entire decade following the NC loss to Bama has been pure dogshit. Go list all the QBs we have had. Someone has to be the best. But that alone does not mean shit. If Sam is by far your best qB in the last decade, you probably are not going to win much unless your team is absolutely loaded ala the Florida teams under Myer. When he won with Tebow and Chris Leak. Both sides of the ball were fucking stacked with talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

76%, 67% in the first two games. Fell into the 50s and below the last two. Hardly all season.

Completion rate does not equal accuracy. Sam throws a lot of shitty passes that are still caught by receivers who have to change their momentum and reach for the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Your definition of “beat” is a lot different than mine apparently. He has a step sure but defender definitely wasn’t beat.   

If you don’t think josh Moore had that defender beat at the break of his route then you don’t know shit. An accurate pass out in front of Moore in stride would at worst be a huge gain down to near the goal line. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Best QB since Colt means how much, though? The entire decade following the NC loss to Bama has been pure dogshit. 

Not saying much at all.   We're going on year 11 now of an overall shit product on the field.   Ehlinger has definitely upgraded the play at QB but the bar has been pretty low in that regard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

man, thank god you registered and started posting here, otherwise where else would we get our fix multi paragraph posts which all say the exact same thing over and over- namely that Sam Ehlinger is perfect has never done anything wrong as a QB ever. don't know what we'd do without your hard headed, juvenile, delusional rants in this thread.
Thanks.

Think I said yesterday was his worst game this year. If he plays well, we win. All we needed was one more play to win so that goes for a lot of guys. And I said nothing about drops in the OU game. TCU yes. The OU game was a team cluster.

I'll give you another on your crucify Sam list. On the crappy throw to Black that got overturned, Schooler was wide open too for big, big yards.

People like him because he gives big effort. Wonderful human beings like yourself are overly critical. And I realize some may be overly positive about all his game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Completion rate does not equal accuracy. Sam throws a lot of shitty passes that are still caught by receivers who have to change their momentum and reach for the ball. 

Sam also throws a football that hits the receiver in the hands.   Completions percentage is the best statistical metric for accuracy.   It doesn't remark on the precision of where the ball should be but it also doesn't include who dropped it, who was hitting or pressuring the QB at the time.  

14 hours ago, Texaspython said:

Incredible, we’ve had some GREAT qbs. They elevated the whole team. Not this guy. In fact, his run reads are so bad, I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire rb room hates him.

He’s ok, decent, with a good coach he’d lead us to a conference champ, but whatever.

It is possible they hate him.  He clowned their asses and has run for more yards than they did together and played 'hero ball' because they couldn't get shit done.  Sam ran behind that same shit line for more yards and TD then they did.   If they hate him for them sucking, that is on them.     Sam is an above average QB, that loves UT, and leaves it all out there on the field.   If they hate him for trying then they need to quit football, and quit school.  They can go back to mommy and daddy and seek never ending praise amongst all of the other failures.  Chris brown and you can go flex and pat eachother on the back each time you make a sandwich because you didn't cut yourself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Everyone should read Scipio's breakdown of the offense for some perspective on Sam's performance. The usage rate stuff is sobering. 

We've really established a plug 'n' play system as long as the QB can fucking do everything and survive taking 50 hits a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Jerrod Heard beat ou under Charlie Strong. ou ended up in the CFP. He beat Notre Dame too. He didn’t have a picture of throwing Horns up when he was 4, though.

Sam has regressed. Someone told him to stop running and he takes 8 seconds in the pocket now. He is a wildly inaccurate passer that throws at our WRs feet or completely over throws them. His best play is a sideways screen pass for a loss. I don’t doubt his desire, but he is the tallest midget of the last 10 years.

If his best pass is for a loss why did he have so many TD passes and runs?  Why is he 90% of the offense? 

Were you one of the guys who bad mouthed Simms because Vasher put the offense in a terrible position and the line/rb allowed Evil Roy to jump over them?

For those claiming that Sam is inaccurate or that he has been a big part of the problem in Tom Herman's offense over the course of his his career, here's what PFF had to say about his play in 2019. The "6" means he was the 6th-highest graded QB in 2019.

6. Sam Ehlinger, Texas

While Texas football isn’t back to contending form, Sam Ehlinger is doing his part and had one of the top seasons PFF saw in 2019. After the Longhorns' blowout win against Utah in the Alamo Bowl, Sam Ehlinger’s PFF grade improved to 90.5 — the sixth best in the country. PFF recently debuted our wins above average metric (WAA) at both the professional and collegiate levels, and this only validates Ehlinger's great play in 2019. Regardless of position, Ehlinger was the fifth most valuable in WAA and the most valuable among those to play only 12 games. Ehlinger can hit his receiver in stride across the field like most can’t. For example, on crossing routes, his 91.8 PFF grade ranks fourth in the FBS and is one of nine to be above 80.0. Including horizontal passes, Ehlinger is second in accurate-plus pass rate behind Joe Burrow.

At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, Ehlinger is a quarterback who can handle designed runs but can bail on the pocket a touch too soon. As a result, he has placed among the top 15 at his position in both 10-plus yard runs and broken tackles. While that style of play won’t carry over at the NFL level, it’s working for him in college.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

spacer.png

I realize this is a Sam thread, but can someone explain why the RT's first step is upfield when it's a designed dropback pass?  That's how he's beat right at the snap.  Is that Jones? Step up, feet together, DE gets a free rush.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

spacer.png

2nd &16: TE lines up in the slot, no help for our inexperienced tackle, a Center who completely fails to see the delayed blitzed. 

PEAK HERMAN!!!

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Sam also throws a football that hits the receiver in the hands.   Completions percentage is the best statistical metric for accuracy.   It doesn't remark on the precision of where the ball should be but it also doesn't include who dropped it, who was hitting or pressuring the QB at the time.  

Sam throws balls that need “circus catches” made by guys like LJH, Collin Johnson, and Devin Duvernay. Remember the diving catch Duvernay made against Maryland for a TD? Duvernay was wide open and Sam would have overthrown it if Duvernay wasn’t so fast. This is the type of thing Sam does a lot. I’d like more highlights of Sam throwing 50+ yard bombs in stride to his receivers instead of wild circus catches that should have been thrown better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Sam throws balls that need “circus catches” made by guys like LJH, Collin Johnson, and Devin Duvernay. Remember the diving catch Duvernay made against Maryland for a TD? Duvernay was wide open and Sam would have overthrown it if Duvernay wasn’t so fast. This is the type of thing Sam does a lot. I’d like more highlights of Sam throwing 50+ yard bombs in stride to his receivers instead of wild circus catches that should have been thrown better. 

this. and more. what's so crazy about this discussion is the giant contingent of people who outright deny that Sam is even 0.01% culpable for anything that has gone wrong with this team, which is such an absurd and obviously false stance it's just mind boggling. someone up the page said, "this team has a lot of problems, and Sam is not one of them." that's just plain false, yet this mass refusal to acknowledge this prevents any reasonable discussion from taking place.

2009 Texas had a ton of problems, and Colt McCoy wasn't one of them. THAT is an example of a case where you have a terribly flawed team that's totally being carried by its quarterback. That is not the case with this 2020 Texas team. Sam has a ton of flaws, and he shares a large portion of the blame for the holes our team has dug itself in each of the past three games. He misses open WRs, he holds onto the ball too long when he has all day to throw, he sometimes makes really poor reads on read plays, he often hits guys in the feet on check down throws, and he often misses/ignores wide open check downs while he waits for something else to get open downfield. that's a fact. to deny this is to straight up be in denial.

now then, is he anywhere near the top of our teams list of problems? nope. does his o line sometimes get crushed and leave him in a tough spot? yep. has he had receivers drop passes they should catch? of course. has his coaching staff completely bungled the task of developing and implementing a run game to help Sam out? yes. and literally everyone who fairly criticizes Sam acknowledges these things, while a huge contingent of you have gone full-on fanatic for the kid and refuse to acknowledge that Sam literally ever does any single thing wrong, which remains to be absolutely pathetic and just plain embarrassing. you all can continue to circle jerk rep all of your posts absolving Sam of any blame all you want, but as the leader of your crew of zealots once said, repeating the same wrong thing over and over doesn't make it true. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this. and more. what's so crazy about this discussion is the giant contingent of people who outright deny that Sam is even 0.01% culpable for anything that has gone wrong with this team, which is such an absurd and obviously false stance it's just mind boggling. someone up the page said, "this team has a lot of problems, and Sam is not one of them." that's just plain false, yet this mass refusal to acknowledge this prevents any reasonable discussion from taking place.

2009 Texas had a ton of problems, and Colt McCoy wasn't one of them. THAT is an example of a case where you have a terribly flawed team that's totally being carried by its quarterback. That is not the case with this 2020 Texas team. Sam has a ton of flaws, and he shares a large portion of the blame for the holes our team has dug itself in each of the past three games. He misses open WRs, he holds onto the ball too long when he has all day to throw, he sometimes makes really poor reads on read plays, he often hits guys in the feet on check down throws, and he often misses/ignores wide open check downs while he waits for something else to get open downfield. that's a fact. to deny this is to straight up be in denial.

now then, is he anywhere near the top of our teams list of problems? nope. does his o line sometimes get crushed and leave him in a tough spot? yep. has he had receivers drop passes they should catch? of course. has his coaching staff completely bungled the task of developing and implementing a run game to help Sam out? yes. and literally everyone who fairly criticizes Sam acknowledges this, while a huge contingent of you have gone full-on fanatic for the kid and refuse to acknowledge that Sam literally ever does any single wrong, and that remains to be absolutely pathetic. you can circle jerk rep your posts absolving Sam of any blame all you want, but as your leader said, repeating the same wrong thing over and over doesn't make it true. 

Sam said that?

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Circus catches by Collin Johnson?  Ha.  Oh, you would like to see more of him hitting WRs in stride down field over 50 yards?  You like sex and money too?  whoa, we should hang out!

His WRs are not Devin/LJH neither were lazy about trying to make a catch and run, and LJ wasn't known for his blocking.  

15 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s 3 straight games where he was bad for most of it but some people don’t want to acknowledge everything that puts us in these big holes. 

I acknowledge that the team is fundamentally bad in all phases of the game but has the talent to always keep it close.

I am not even sure what this is anymore. Is this football? What the hell am I watching?

I cannot tell if Tom Herman does something truly unique in football, something that should be marvelled at at its singularness, or if somehow the game itself changed somehow back in 2017 and I didn't notice until now.

Now probably I should go check out some other games to see if they resemble this shit-show we have here at Texas but after watching a Texas game I just don't want to watch anymore football. Next week is an off-week so I might check it out and see.

Edited by Valmy77