Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

So I guess to keep it on topic I feel very neutral to whether we bring in Card, or whoever, and give him a shot because I feel like the problems with this team are with every single member of the team. Just replacing Sam wouldn't really change what this team is.

So why not? Just clear the benches and let's see if anyboy can play this game.

44 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

2009 Texas had a ton of problems, and Colt McCoy wasn't one of them. THAT is an example of a case where you have a terribly flawed team that's totally being carried by its quarterback. That is not the case with this 2020 Texas team. Sam has a ton of flaws, and he shares a large portion of the blame for the holes our team has dug itself in each of the past three games.

Of course Sam shares in the blame. But to suggest he's not carrying this team?

That 2009 team had a ton of NFL talent on defense (like a dozen in the 2 deep), taking pressure off Colt, and while the OL was shitty (as is tradition), they were all juniors and seniors. Not to mention Jordan fucking Shipley (1485 yards). That team scored 16 points vs OU and 13 vs Nebraska and won both. The rushing attack outside of Colt put up 1,718 yards. Colt only ran for 348 yards in 14 games. 

After 4 games SE has 242 yards. If this team played 14 games, players other than SE project to put up 1,655 rushing yards and there's no thousand yard receiver (Moore gets very close at 991). The 2009 receiver room was better. The 2009 OL was better. The TEs are a wash. The RBs and running games are a wash. It's actually funny how many parallels there are between that 09 offense abd this 20 offense. 

I choose to believe that the youth on today's roster is better than 09's, but it seems clear that both Colt and Sam did/are carrying flawed offenses. The 2021 QB room, on paper, looks much better than it did in 2010 but there's no guarantee we won't miss the fuck out of Sam next year, despite his limitations.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Texas offense: 49.5 points/game #2 in the country

Texas Defense: 36.2 points/game #116 in the country

And If you want to remove the OT game from the equation:

Texas offense: 51 points/game #1 in the country

Texas defense: 30.7 points/game #98 in the country

But yeah, lets continue on about why Sam is the reason this team is 2-2.

Edited by ioueleventybilliondollars
i can spell, I promise
  • Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, B00M said:

Of course Sam shares in the blame. But to suggest hes not carrying this team?

stop right there. A)I am addressing the scores of people in this thread who have repeatedly and in no uncertain terms claimed that Sam shares zero blame for our teams's struggles. it's the very reason for every single one of my posts. And B)I never suggested that he hasn't been carrying us. I am specifically addressing the "Sam has done no wrong" crowd. i couldn't be more clear about that.

funny thing is, some of the same people giving your post pos rep are the same ones claiming that Sam is blameless.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

this. and more. what's so crazy about this discussion is the giant contingent of people who outright deny that Sam is even 0.01% culpable for anything that has gone wrong with this team, which is such an absurd and obviously false stance it's just mind boggling. someone up the page said, "this team has a lot of problems, and Sam is not one of them." that's just plain false, yet this mass refusal to acknowledge this prevents any reasonable discussion from taking place.

2009 Texas had a ton of problems, and Colt McCoy wasn't one of them. THAT is an example of a case where you have a terribly flawed team that's totally being carried by its quarterback. That is not the case with this 2020 Texas team. Sam has a ton of flaws, and he shares a large portion of the blame for the holes our team has dug itself in each of the past three games. He misses open WRs, he holds onto the ball too long when he has all day to throw, he sometimes makes really poor reads on read plays, he often hits guys in the feet on check down throws, and he often misses/ignores wide open check downs while he waits for something else to get open downfield. that's a fact. to deny this is to straight up be in denial.

You are trying so hard to be right, and you are still so wrong.  Sam is not Tom Brady, with VY's legs and Dan Marino's arm, and he isn't the problem with the team.  He is not the reason the team lost.   Comparison to the 2009 team that won the conference and competed for the title?  Haha, you are fucking reaching.    Sam is not even 0.1% of the problem with this team.  The guy who got 6 TDs is not the problem.   The other guys who didn't get TDs or 100 yards.  Rojo ended with -3 yards.  Ingram had 15 yards on 3 carries.  Bijan was 5 for 17 yards.  Sam has more yards than the entire running back group x3.   Yeah, Sam is the problem.   We had more receptions and more yards that OU and still lost.  Yeah Sam is the problem.  Our kicker waited until the blocker was on top of him to try the kick, yeah Sam is the problem.  Our other kicker had a block that cost us the game, and yeah,  I guess that was Sam too.  Our defense had 1 SACK and theirs had 6.  Our defense was there for 100 plays, theirs 85.  Texas averaged 12.5 yards on Punt Returns, and they averaged 29.   We had 0 Kick return yardage.   They had 1 for 28 yards.    I suppose you are right in retrospect, Sam really needs to step it up with his kick coverage and kick return blocking.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

stop right there. A)I am addressing the scores of people in this thread who have repeatedly and in no uncertain terms claimed that Sam shares zero blame for our teams's struggles. it's the very reason for every single one of my posts. And B)I never suggested that he hasn't been carrying us. I am specifically addressing the "Sam has done no wrong" crowd. i couldn't be more clear about that.

funny thing is, some of the same people giving your post pos rep are the same ones claiming that Sam is blameless.

So you are basically trying to say that Sam isn't the perfect QB, with a perfect arm, perfect timing, and perfect decision making?  Well, shit, you are arguing against only yourself since not one fucking person said he was infallible.   But is he part of the problem? Not one fucking bit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You are trying so hard to be right, and you are still so wrong.  Sam is not Tom Brady, with VY's legs and Dan Marino's arm, and he isn't the problem with the team.  He is not the reason the team lost.   Comparison to the 2009 team that won the conference and competed for the title?  Haha, you are fucking reaching.    Sam is not even 0.1% of the problem with this team.  The guy who got 6 TDs is not the problem.   The other guys who didn't get TDs or 100 yards.  Rojo ended with -3 yards.  Ingram had 15 yards on 3 carries.  Bijan was 5 for 17 yards.  Sam has more yards than the entire running back group x3.   Yeah, Sam is the problem.   We had more receptions and more yards that OU and still lost.  Yeah Sam is the problem.  Our kicker waited until the blocker was on top of him to try the kick, yeah Sam is the problem.  Our other kicker had a block that cost us the game, and yeah,  I guess that was Sam too.  Our defense had 1 SACK and theirs had 6.  Our defense was there for 100 plays, theirs 85.  Texas averaged 12.5 yards on Punt Returns, and they averaged 29.   We had 0 Kick return yardage.   They had 1 for 28 yards.    I suppose you are right in retrospect, Sam really needs to step it up with his kick coverage and kick return blocking.  

this is the exact type of delusional shit that i'm talking about. hey another long-ass rambling post about that literally just says "Sam is not the problem". why are you even quoting my post just to say that, when i have never once said that Sam *is* the problem? you're so ready to jump stupid at anything that even hints that Sam has been anything leas than perfect that it's as if you haven't read a single word that i've said. You damn sure didn't respond to anything i said. christ. 

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I can see why some wouldn't want to put blame on Sam because the offensive game plans are just shitty. What other team hands the ball off to RBs 11 times and expects their QB to be successful? A real actual FBS running game would make Sam look more decisive. Fewer hits on him might make him more accurate.

I know it's a lot to take in, but many see Sam's struggles as an indictment on the coaching staff for not implementing better schemes, game plans, etc. They see Sam and, despite his limitations, mistakes, etc, think we've wasted a QB that it took us ~8 years to find. 

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So you are basically trying to say that Sam isn't the perfect QB, with a perfect arm, perfect timing, and perfect decision making?  Well, shit, you are arguing against only yourself since not one fucking person said he was infallible.   But is he part of the problem? Not one fucking bit.  

LMFAO, do you hear yourself?!?! Your last sentence completely refutes the entire rest of your post. as if Sam has literally never done anything to contribute to Texas not doing well or falling behind. absolute lunacy from you zealots. embarrassing.

Edited by shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

LMFAO, do you hear yourself?!?! Your last sentence completely refuted the entire rest of your post. absolute lunacy from you zealots. 

I supposed that was too nuanced for a you to understand.    That is not a compliment.   

48 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

LMFAO, do you hear yourself?!?! Your last sentence completely refutes the entire rest of your post. as if Sam has literally never done anything to contribute to Texas not doing well or falling behind. absolute lunacy from you zealots. embarrassing.

I know this might be hard to wrap your mind around, but a  player can be fallible and not be the problem. At the same time.

john cena mind blown GIF

2 hours ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

I know this might be hard to wrap your mind around, but a  player can be fallible and not be the problem. At the same time.

john cena mind blown GIF

not hard for to wrap my head around at all, as i've never referred to Sam as the problem. he's simply not perfect. that's all. he's nowhere near the top of the list of our problems.

i *literally* could not be more clear, precise, and specific with what i'm talking about, and to whom i am responding to, and the Sam Stans still cannot wrap their heads around it. a true testament to the delusion and cult-like following that Sam Ehlinger Stans embody. 

ebery post that claims that Sam is literally 0% responsible anything negative = a circle jerk of pos rep. any post which implicates that Sam is less than perfect and even somewhat to blame for even a modicum of UT's struggles, and you're met with belligerence and defiance. i cannot repeat enough how embarrassing and pathetic this is. even VY never approached this type of cult-like following. 

9 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Mehh WR and DB are about even. Our WRs can’t seem to get separation Like literally every other Big 12 team I watch unless the defense has a miscommunication or trips or some bs like that.

Lulz. A better QB completes that pass 80% of the time. Hell most QB's Texas has faced complete that pass. Not sure it would have been a TD, but Sam has to lead the WR there. Sam tries hard and has all intangibles in spades, but he's a flawed QB throwing the ball. It hasn't gotten better in 4 years.

Both things can be true. The OL is abysmal and Sam still struggles making throws a better QB makes. I think the worst throw, granted it's not all Ehlinger's fault, was the one he short hopped to a wide open Eagles. Ehlinger just isn't capable of making a back foot 40 yard strike, Ewers is. He's an elite QB, Sam is not. There is nothing wrong with that, give Sam Bama's OL and WR and he's a Heisman candidate.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

i *literally* could not be more clear, precise, and specific with what i'm talking about, and to whom i am responding to, and the Sam Stans still cannot wrap their heads around it. a true testament to the delusion and cult-like following that Sam Ehlinger Stans embody. 
ebery post that claims that Sam is literally 0% responsible anything negative = a circle jerk of pos rep. any post which implicates that Sam is less than perfect and even somewhat to blame for even a modicum of UT's struggles, and you're met with belligerence and defiance. i cannot repeat enough how embarrassing and pathetic this is. even VY never approached this type of cult-like following. 

You, really, should just shut the fuck up. But, I do admire your ability to fill a post page with words. Lots of words. Many words. A shit ton of words. A whole helluva lot of words. Dozens of words. Wall to wall words. Sort of like how I fill up the shitter after eating tacos.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

You, really, should just shut the fuck up. But, I do admire your ability to fill a post page with words. Lots of words. Many words. A shit ton of words. A whole helluva lot of words. Dozens of words. Wall to wall words. Sort of like how I fill up the shitter after eating tacos.

200.gif

you guys can hype each other up all you want, but the fact remains- the things you're saying are patently hyperbolic and objectively delusional. and the shit i'm saying is, by any measure, 100% objective, fact-based, and rational. your insistence that the exact opposite is true continues to be just embarrassingly fanboyish and juvenile. your every post is, on its face, absurd. i would welcome any of you to respond to my post with facts, stats, and anecdotal evidence, addressing the things i've said with factual refutations, while leaving out all emotion and personal biases, but the entire lot of you have proven that this is *literally* impossible. it is, again, pathetic and embarrassing. you all are responsible for putting Sam Ehlinger on the precipice of becoming the single most overrated player in UT history. Congrats, fanboys. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

just to give the zealots one more chance at being even remotely rational- what, exactly, do you think i am saying about Sam Ehlinger that you take issue with? it's that simple. if you can answer that question by citing something that i've actually said in the last day or two, then we can have an adult discussion. if not, then by all means, carry on with Operation Head In The Sand. 

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you all are responsible for putting Sam Ehlinger on the precipice of becoming the single most overrated player in UT history. Congrats, fanboys. 

Sure. Us assholes posting on this board have the power to do this. Now who is being delusional?

Very little of what we post here matters at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this. and more. what's so crazy about this discussion is the giant contingent of people who outright deny that Sam is even 0.01% culpable for anything that has gone wrong with this team, which is such an absurd and obviously false stance it's just mind boggling. someone up the page said, "this team has a lot of problems, and Sam is not one of them." that's just plain false, yet this mass refusal to acknowledge this prevents any reasonable discussion from taking place.

2009 Texas had a ton of problems, and Colt McCoy wasn't one of them. THAT is an example of a case where you have a terribly flawed team that's totally being carried by its quarterback. That is not the case with this 2020 Texas team. Sam has a ton of flaws, and he shares a large portion of the blame for the holes our team has dug itself in each of the past three games. He misses open WRs, he holds onto the ball too long when he has all day to throw, he sometimes makes really poor reads on read plays, he often hits guys in the feet on check down throws, and he often misses/ignores wide open check downs while he waits for something else to get open downfield. that's a fact. to deny this is to straight up be in denial.

now then, is he anywhere near the top of our teams list of problems? nope. does his o line sometimes get crushed and leave him in a tough spot? yep. has he had receivers drop passes they should catch? of course. has his coaching staff completely bungled the task of developing and implementing a run game to help Sam out? yes. and literally everyone who fairly criticizes Sam acknowledges these things, while a huge contingent of you have gone full-on fanatic for the kid and refuse to acknowledge that Sam literally ever does any single thing wrong, which remains to be absolutely pathetic and just plain embarrassing. you all can continue to circle jerk rep all of your posts absolving Sam of any blame all you want, but as the leader of your crew of zealots once said, repeating the same wrong thing over and over doesn't make it true. 

@TreatyOak

you gave this post a "fuck you". since you feel so strongly, go ahead and actually respond to the post and explain yourself. 

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sure. Us assholes posting on this board have the power to do this. Now who is being delusional?

Very little of what we post here matters at all.

who is being delusional? uh, that would very clearly be you. i don't know what "power" it is that you're referring to (feel free to fill me in), because there is no "power" required here. if the fans overrate the player then the player is overrated. what part of this scenario involves some sort of unpossesed "power" by the fans?  

here are the facts: this team’s problems are >99.99% on the coaching, defense, offensive skill players, and the OL.  whatever is left might be attributable to sam but even that is debatable.  that lifetime longhorn has put this university on his back and continues to make plays week after week and he gets no help from the rest of the team.  anyone with even a cursory knowledge of general sports and basic competition knows that this is factual and backed up by evidence.  

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 4

What are y’all even going back and forth about? Sam is not the reason we’re losing. Is he perfect, no. Do some of our fans and media overrate him a bit, sure. But he’s not even top five reason we suck ass. If Greg McElroy, AJ McCaron, and Cardale Jones can wIn nattys, we should be able to atleast be competitive with Sam

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

What are y’all even going back and forth about? Sam is not the reason we’re losing. Is he perfect, no. Do some of our fans and media overrate him a bit, sure. But he’s not even top five reason we suck ass. If Greg McElroy, AJ McCaron, and Cardale Jones can wIn nattys, we should be able to atleast be competitive with Sam

you answered your own question within your own post. we're going back and forth because, despite the fact that literally no one is calling Sam "the problem", or even claiming hang he's among our bigger problems, a large contingent of fans feel compelled to rabidly and angrily reply every time someone else points out that Sam has been a flawed player this year, and that he is not some all-time great, upper echelon, perfect QB who has never done anything bad ever. 

One group would like to have an objective, adult discussion about the thread topic; the other group wants to set the thread on fire and burn the whole site down because *gasp* some of us dare to point out that Sam is a flawed and imperfect player too. 

i mean, this is supposed to be a thread about Sam Ehlinger, but the zealots from the Church of Sam Ehlinger have turned it into a thread about our football team's issues.

Poster A: makes a post about Sam that is deservedly critical during the third straight game where Sam has not been great.

Posters B-Z: SAM IS NOWHERE NEAR OUR TEAMS LIST OF PROBLEMS HE IS FUCKING PERFECT. (proceeds to type out four paragraphs detailing what all is wrong with the team).

This is supposed to the the place where we discuss our quarterback. As of now it's the place where we get yelled at for discussing our quarterback. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, B00M said:

Except he actually is an all time great at Texas, despite our toxic divisive loser culture. Imagine how good he'd be if he came into a winning program.

you're entitled to your opinion, but (outside of this thread) you'd be in the minority; by a lot. VY, Colt, Bobby Layne, James Street. That's the list of all-time great Texas QBs. Sam puts up stats because of the era he plays in, but stats don't make you an all time great. remember when Sam told the world that "We're baaaaaaccccckkkk!!!" Yeah, an all time great QB wouldn't be 10-7 since then, featuring multiple wins where his team had to come from behind against truly inferior teams, in part due to his consistently erratic throwing and decision making.

and before we even start up again with how bad everyone else around him is, stop. think back to the Colt years. in 2008 our running game was so bad that Colt was our leading rusher. We had no TE, our O line was terrible, and Greg Davis was calling the plays. in 2009 our O line was somehow worse, our run game was still nonexistent (Colt again led the team in carries by a mile- our no.1 RB was Tre Newton who ran for 552 yards), Colt was running for his life every play, and GDGD was still calling the plays. We went 25-2 over that stretch, and that included a hard luck loss to Bama in the NC game and a road/night loss that came down to the last play vs the best TTU team ever. That's what an all-time QB does.

Sam is in the discussion with the Applewhite's, Simms's, and James Brown's of the world, and frankly, he doesn't stand out compared to any of them. He's nowhere near an all time great, any more than Hodges Mitchell is an all time great RB at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, futureman said:

here are the facts: this team’s problems are >99.99% on the coaching, defense, offensive skill players, and the OL.  whatever is left might be attributable to sam but even that is debatable.  that lifetime longhorn has put this university on his back and continues to make plays week after week and he gets no help from the rest of the team.  anyone with even a cursory knowledge of general sports and basic competition knows that this is factual and backed up by evidence.  

Oh, so you're saying that the team shouldn't turn to their 3rd string quarterback when they're struggling? What a 180 on that position.

16 hours ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

Texas offense: 49.5 points/game #2 in the country

Texas Defense: 36.2 points/game #116 in the country

And If you want to remove the OT game from the equation:

Texas offense: 51 points/game #1 in the country

Texas defense: 30.7 points/game #98 in the country

But yeah, lets continue on about why Sam is the reason this team is 2-2.

^^^^^ great example of what i've been talking about all thread. absolutely no one has said that Sam is the reason we are 2-2. nobody. not once. the rest of your post amounts to two lines of team stats, and yet your inane post is brimming with pos rep. it's all very cult-like and fanboyish.

i've avoided out and out saying this all thread long, because the last thing this abortion of a thread needs is to go full CR, but the parallels are too clear to ignore: you Sam Stans are 100% analogous to these Trump cultists, for whom facts, stats, anecdotal evidence, science, and truth mean nothing. You've decided that you fanatically worship this person, and anything that is said which implies that he's less than perfect or responsible for anything bad will be met with outrageous denial and a rallying of the troops. it is 100% cult-like, and i've never seen anything like it at Texas. 

If you want to discuss him, approach it in a way that allows for actual discussion. Pointing out bad throws or bad reads as "proof" of anything doesn't come across as discussion. Especially when the posts are laced with words like "literal", "factual", "cult", "8th grader", "embarrassing" ... Discussion requires shades of grey and context and you're not allowing that. 

We've been wandering in the wilderness, miserable for 10 years, and most of us are not interested in criticising one of the only bright spots on the team. He has effectively done his job. If there's someone else on the roster you think should play instead, do tell. 

I assume next you'll lead a highly nuanced conversation highlighting Ossai's bad plays?

• Hook 'Em 1

There a lot of dumbfuckery in here.

A couple thoughts:

- Has Sam been perfect? No. Has he made some strange decisions? Yes. Does he try to do too much sometimes and it hurts us? Yes. Do I think he's or best shot at winning? Yes.

- I'm pretty sure Sam is being told not to run, and then told to when we can't win unless he does. It was reported he had a bad bruise above a knee before last week's game and he might still be tender and that's why he's being curtailed early. Or maybe they want the other RBs to do something. Either way, it's obvious on the zone reads that he not taking the obvious choice on purpose, and I'm sure that's on the coaches.

- as for all of these receivers he should be hitting in stride or whatever, it's funny y'all automatically assume the receiver will catch it. How often have we bitched about Eagles or Smith or Epps or Brewer or Schooler not making a catch that was in their hands? I saw Moore drop more than one the past two weeks. We can't assume that a perfectly thrown ball would result in a completion. Yes, he could throw to a different receiver than the one he tried. He seems to go for the homerun ball too often.

- I won't compare Sam to Vince or Colt. He doesn't have their talent or ability to read the field. But I'll always admire his dedication and heart. He labored under a weak gameplan that did him no favors and ignored his strengths, but when he was allowed to he single-handedly pulled our team up and gave us a chance we thought was gone. He was visibly puffing in that 3rd and 4th OT, but he wasn't quitting.

-@shadow_operative should stick to stalking and posting pics of Instagram sloots

- our defense sucks

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

^^^^^ great example of what i've been talking about all thread. absolutely no one has said that Sam is the reason we are 2-2. nobody. not once.

Except you just compared sam's W-L record to Colt's as proof that he's not an all time great Texas QB. Despite Colt's team's having a winning foundation and a dozen NFLers playing defense, as if that doesn't matter. 

If we'd taken advantage of Sam's time here and used him to build an offensive identity, a running game, and built the foundation of a winning culture, you'd unquestionably call him an all time great. Instead we're seemingly on the brink of needing to turn to yet another 4/5-star freshman QB, asking them to be so elite they elevate the play of everyone around them. And then when they struggle with inconsistency in our coaching carousel, we'll highlight their inaccurate throws and turnovers instead of celebrating their successes and perseverance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you guys can hype each other up all you want, but the fact remains- the things you're saying are patently hyperbolic and objectively delusional. and the shit i'm saying is, by any measure, 100% objective, fact-based, and rational...

Pos rep for the providing me with a legitimate laugh out loud experience this morning!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1