Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

17 hours ago, achooloco said:

his "interpretation" is as accurate as yours though, unless you have some sort of inside info. otherwise, shut the fuck up since your shit is solely based on baseless conjecture. 

to stay on topic, need to rewatch but think i liked sam's effort, even if the plays didn't always result as positive. but that can probably (unfortunately) be said about his entire career here.  hope he has some amazing last games to close out the season and gets drafted to a team willing to develop him. 

It probably won’t happen but I’d love it if he landed in Tampa Bay and had a year to learn under Brady. I know it won’t happen. That’s if Sam doesn’t come back. I’d hope wherever he lands it will be under a team that already has a QB he can learn under. Just a hope of mine. Regardless, I wish Sam all the best no matter where he goes or what he chooses to do. He’s given us everything he has and then some. It’s obvious to most of us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Dude is beat to hell, and maybe worn out.  I'll always be grateful that he did what he could.  Anybody criticizing him on the whole should reevaluate their priorities.  He's not a Brady, a Brees, even a McCoy, but he did what he could.

I'm starting to wonder if he'll get drafted.  There are a ton of miles on those treads, and it's not like his measurables are gonna light things up.  (Well, maybe his lifts.)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

It probably won’t happen but I’d love it if he landed in Tampa Bay and had a year to learn under Brady. I know it won’t happen. That’s if Sam doesn’t come back. I’d hope wherever he lands it will be under a team that already has a QB he can learn under. Just a hope of mine. Regardless, I wish Sam all the best no matter where he goes or what he chooses to do. He’s given us everything he has and then some. It’s obvious to most of us. 

Hell yeah. I'd love to have Sam in Tampa. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Seattle, NO, TB would be nice to learn from. Seattle loves drafting/taking former Texas players, too. 

That’s why I have hope he will find a team. With Covid and the fact that a lot of teams are developing guys to use as collateral for picks, I feel pretty good about his landing somewhere he will be able to develop and learn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dude is beat to hell, and maybe worn out.  I'll always be grateful that he did what he could.  Anybody criticizing him on the whole should reevaluate their priorities.  He's not a Brady, a Brees, even a McCoy, but he did what he could.

I'm starting to wonder if he'll get drafted.  There are a ton of miles on those treads, and it's not like his measurables are gonna light things up.  (Well, maybe his lifts.)

Casey better be getting plenty of practice reps so he's ready if needed... Sam has been taking way too many hits.  

23 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Wait...you think Sam has enjoyed his 4 years under herman? I’m sure as a young boy he envisioned a coach who made fun of opposing qb’s on sports center, flipped the bird to UT cameras, oh and won as often as he lost in the big 12. That’s a crazy stance man. If you are looking at my interpretation without any context then I guess you have a point man. 

Sam has had the benefit of having a really great coach. He has benefited from a coach who serves as an amazing role model. A coach  who respects his opponents and encourages the best opponents after the game to inspire them, especially the ones who come from impoverished backgrounds. He has benefited from a coach who serves as a role model and leader for an entire community. A coach who teaches players properly so that they improve as the season goes on. A championship coach who could justifiably bask in his unequalled success but instead appears humble and grateful for the life he has led. You see, Sam owes his success to Todd Dodge, not that idiot at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Sam has had the benefit of having a really great coach. He has benefited from a coach who serves as an amazing role model. A coach  who respects his opponents and encourages the best opponents after the game to inspire them, especially the ones who come from impoverished backgrounds. He has benefited from a coach who serves as a role model and leader for an entire community. A coach who teaches players properly so that they improve as the season goes on. A championship coach who could justifiably bask in his unequalled success but instead appears humble and grateful for the life he has led. You see, Sam owes his success to Todd Dodge, not that idiot at Texas.

Haha! Better be careful man, there’s a couple sensitive fuckers in here who think “message board speculation” doesn’t have a place on a message board that’s known for speculation. I agree though 100 %, anything Sam has been taught came from a much more mature place. 

I think, based on nothing more than my observations, that he suffered a leg or ankle injury and it has slowed him down on his runs.

He had a boot on his left foot near the end of the Baylor game. And yesterday he had little or no gains on several runs that he usually gets 10+ yards.

Somehow he found an extra gear to avoid the rush at the end of regulation and OT. As we all agree....he’s a tough mf’er.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Haha! Better be careful man, there’s a couple sensitive fuckers in here who think “message board speculation” doesn’t have a place on a message board that’s known for speculation. I agree though 100 %, anything Sam has been taught came from a much more mature place. 

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

I think, based on nothing more than my observations, that he suffered a leg or ankle injury and it has slowed him down on his runs.

He had a boot on his left foot near the end of the Baylor game. And yesterday he had little or no gains on several runs that he usually gets 10+ yards.

Somehow he found an extra gear to avoid the rush at the end of regulation and OT. As we all agree....he’s a tough mf’er.

Exactly, but people think since he wasn't jumping around in celebration he's mad cuz herman did a thing 2 years ago 😂

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Exactly, but people think since he wasn't jumping around in celebration he's mad cuz herman did a thing 2 years ago 😂

He’s injured because herman is an idiot man. It’s causation. One thing led to the other. How many rb’s have we recruited? Our second string rb is a former qb who has never played the position. Our OL is awful. Our game plan blows. We hired an OC but our offense is the same. When your situation is the same consistently for 4 years you have to find the source. Who else can you blame? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s why I have hope he will find a team. With Covid and the fact that a lot of teams are developing guys to use as collateral for picks, I feel pretty good about his landing somewhere he will be able to develop and learn. 

You and me both. If he's drafted it'll be late round, but he's a smart kid that can definitely help a team in more ways than just being a qb. His intelligence should transfer well, and who knows, maybe he'll catch on to coaching? That's my hope for him, anyway  

• Hook 'Em 1

Whatever? I don’t understand all the comments. Maybe I’m not meant to. Who cares? Whether Sam is the best QB we have had in 20 years isn’t for debate. He isn’t the best. We know who is. Our rivals did and do. Lmao. When I came to the shaggy board the worship for David Ash and the blame for the program and all coaches as a whole was beyond absurd. Ash was a great kid. Great guy all around and see he is doing well. 
Sorry, Ash was a mediocre QB and glad he found his way to business success now. There still is I Think west lake/Lake Travis (who cares btw I grew up in Amarillo and don’t give a fuck) bullshit. Who cares? Most of us do not care. It’s not hard to see that Sam has played his heart out. Jmo. David Ash, was not that good. Sorry.

Yes we all know about the concussions and the fault and blah blah. He was never that good. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Whatever? I don’t understand all the comments. Maybe I’m not meant to. Who cares? Whether Sam is the best QB we have had in 20 years isn’t for debate. He isn’t the best. We know who is. Our rivals did and do. Lmao. When I came to the shaggy board the worship for David Ash and the blame for the program and all coaches as a whole was beyond absurd. Ash was a great kid. Great guy all around and see he is doing well. 
Sorry, Ash was a mediocre QB and glad he found his way to business success now. There still is I Think west lake/Lake Travis (who cares btw I grew up in Amarillo and don’t give a fuck) bullshit. Who cares? Most of us do not care. It’s not hard to see that Sam has played his heart out. Jmo. David Ash, was not that good. Sorry.

Yes we all know about the concussions and the fault and blah blah. He was never that good. 

Have a pos rep for a good post. And because I grew up in Amarillo as well. But if you went to Tascosa I will neg the crap out of you B|

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/1/2020 at 7:53 PM, MirrOlure said:

He had a boot on his left foot near the end of the Baylor game. And yesterday he had little or no gains on several runs that he usually gets 10+ yards.  . Somehow he found an extra gear to avoid the rush at the end of regulation and OT. As we all agree....he’s a tough mf’er. 

Yeah, no way Sam is healthy right now -- Dude is gutting it out !!!

Joseph Cook: Everyone is playing through pain at this point, especially Sam Ehlinger

The hits, scrapes, dings, bumps, and bruises for any individual player accumulate as a football season carries on. That was on display for the Texas Longhorns against Oklahoma State when Joseph Ossai, who began the game in a shoulder brace, abandoned the protective measure at some juncture. He may have been feeling some pain but he obviously felt well enough to whip Cowboy offensive linemen on a consistent basis.

Ossai isn’t the only player fighting through pain. The offense is placed on Sam Ehlinger’s shoulders week after week. He does it with his arm and his legs, the latter of which has him leading Texas in rushing attempts. Sacks play into that statistic, which means even more hits on the Texas quarterback. The Longhorn offensive line allows 2.67 sacks per game, a mark that is sixth in the ten-team Big 12 Conference.

Ehlinger takes hits at a very steady rate and those hits have him looking less than 100 percent on the field of late. That isn’t stopping Ehlinger from playing with 100 percent effort. According to Ehlinger, he’s not injured, but hurting, and hurting is no excuse for him to not be on the field.

“Part of being a good football player is being able to play through pain,” Ehlinger said Monday. “That’s just part of it. That’s the way it goes. When you choose football, you choose the most physical sport besides maybe rugby and some other sports. For the most part, the most physical sport. In order to excel at that sport, you have to be able to have a physical toughness to you.” These aren’t injuries, which Ehlinger described as “a structural damage to your body” that can only worsen in playing a game. This is what comes with the territory of playing football.

Ehlinger has been remarkably durable despite the accumulation of hits he’s taken throughout his career. He’s on pace to lead the Longhorns in rushing attempts for the second time in his four-year career. There being a three-way split among Longhorn running backs does contribute to him leading the team in carries, but it serves as more evidence of what he is asked to do and what his body goes through week after week.

Ehlinger recorded a carry 13 times against Oklahoma State and tallied -9 yards. Five Cowboy sacks for a loss of 37 yards obviously plays into that stat line, but it speaks to the number of hits Ehlinger took on the way to Texas’ overtime win. For the fourth-year quarterback, it’s just part of the job. Playing hurt is what he knows, and what he seems to do well.

“Sam’s hurt all the time,” Texas head coach Tom Herman said Tuesday. “This is a guy that plays the game very physically, and he’s going to be banged up, bumps and bruises, body is going to be sore, and he doesn’t mind. That’s the way he plays, he knows that’s the way he plays, and he knows that’s how he’s going to feel on Sundays and Mondays. He’s pretty used to this.”

Of course, others in the Longhorn locker room are experiencing what Ehlinger discussed with the media. Any player who plays not just on Saturdays, but on Saturdays and five other days during practice knows the risks associated with playing football and the physical beating that comes with it. Ehlinger does it while front and center. Others follow his lead. It’s all Texas can ask for from the fourth-year quarterback.

Edited by satyanash

Now that was a bad passing game from Sam (WVU). Seemingly every ball was underthrown with so many guys so far beyond the DBs having to stop and jump. Dont think there was a single overthrown ball today. Glad it came in a win, and he continued to protect the ball, but we need Sam to improve or get healthy or whatever quickly.

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Trust me, I can see that he is injured. And it has massive negative impact on the offense 

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

He needs a 3 week recovery period. Play Casey against Kansas.

Something is wrong with Sam Fo-Sho...   I like the idea of Casey being part of the gameplan vs jayHawks...

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I’m not paid to be an offensive coordinator, but I’d love to see a 3 headed run game monster with Bijan, Casey, and RoJo. Our offensive line actually looks serviceable in run game blocking. Control the clock and keep our nasty defensive line well rested against Kansas.

That seemed to be the blueprint from the Baylor game.

and I really do think Sam needs rest. The reality is, if we even want to dream of winning the conference with Sam as the starter, we have to have a healthy Sam, that can throw and run with purpose. And if he isn’t healthy, we will get beat before the championship game, let alone against most likely ousux in that game. I don’t have faith in the staff to do much if anything to rest Sam except for trying to call less QB runs, like they have been doing the last 3 years when he’s been hurt.