Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He can be a part of the game plan, sure. But I seriously doubt he sees the field. We cannot put teams away. I doubt he’s the answer at QB. If he starts the next 2 years I’d be pretty surprised. 

No doubt. I have no faith that he will see the field just as you said, we can't put teams away. Who do you think starts over him? Card or JQJ?

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

He basically admitted today he is injured. Not an excuse but I would def. think about starting Thompson against Kansas just to get Sam some more rest for ISU

at least let Thompson run 1st QB for the next 12 days

I concur. It's just too bad Herman is a moron and won't allow that to happen. God forbid you show faith in your backup that you recruited to give your starter time to heal. 

29 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I concur. It's just too bad Herman is a moron and won't allow that to happen. God forbid you show faith in your backup that you recruited to give your starter time to heal. 

Herman is desperately trying to save his job, he'll happily run Sam into the ground if that's what it takes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It pisses me off every time I think about how we have two guys in the backfield who can pass and run, and a smart coach would have already installed a new offense to take advantage of that. We would have smaller, quicker offensive linemen who can move, and every snap would be some combination of Sam pass, Sam run, Sam splits out wide and snap to RoJo, snap to Sam who laterals it to RoJo who throws a forward pass. Shit like that. Can we clone Emory Bellard?

On 11/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Nope said:

Another sub 50% completion rate game...how hurt is he?

I assume hurt enough to be completely inaccurate enough to not hit wide open receivers. 

whatever it is there is no excuse for missing some of the throws he’s missing. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHyGqB-lPqc/?igshid=4eux4z266dvd

Guess we aren’t embedding today, whatever 

Thx @Nope  

Really illustrates how poorly Sam has thrown the ball during the 2020 CFB Season...

41.   SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Among the many Big 12 quarterbacks to take a big step back is Sam Ehlinger, whose passing grade has gone from 81.2 in 2018 to 86.9 in 2019 to 73.5 in 2020. There are way too many instances where he scrambles when he shouldn’t, forcing a bad throw off structure. On those plays this season, Ehlinger ranks fourth-to-last in passing grade among FBS qualifiers.

Ehlinger's accuracy this year has been spotty, too. He has the 11th-worst rate of uncatchable balls thrown over 10 yards downfield (46%). And he hasn't fared any better when throwing into a tight window, completing just eight of 54 such throws this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-quarterback-situations-ahead-of-cfb-week-12

17 minutes ago, Nope said:

There are really 41 FBS teams playing this year??

That list has 127.  Look who are #6, #13, #50 and #63

•  6.     SPENCER RATTLER, OKLAHOMA
  • 13.    KELLEN MOND, TEXAS A&M
  • 41.   SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS
  • 50.   NICK STARKEL, SAN JOSE STATE
  • 63.   BROCK PURDY, IOWA STARE

63.    BROCK PURDY, IOWA STATE

There hasn’t been a bigger disappointment in college football this year than Purdy. He shined as an underclassman in 2018 and 2019 with passing grades of 88.0 and 82.2, respectively, and proved to be one of the best passers in the country when in rhythm. He had a lot of moments where he tried doing too much off structure, but his impressive timing and anticipation were routinely on full display in those two years.

This year, all that good has vanished. Purdy has taken a significant step back, lowering his passing grade to 60.7 while sitting outside the top 100 in both big-time throw rate and turnover-worthy play rate

Edited by LTtxfan

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Devin and Lil Jordan were not Megatron.  And our current crop of WRs cant catch worth a shit.  Our DBs drop fewer passes.

Duv caught a lot of passes and only dropped one that year I believe so any comparisons with him involved are skewed. This years team has the most fucked up rotation I’ve ever seen so I don’t even know if you can blame them honestly. The injuries and terrible game plan have severely limited their productivity. Cade brewer out wide is all we need as proof that nobody knows what the fuck they are doing right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Devin and Lil Jordan were not Megatron.  And our current crop of WRs cant catch worth a shit.  Our DBs drop fewer passes.

They both and Johnson saved his ass many times with bad passes.  Most of his deep highlights are them making diving catches or just great catches on bad balls by coming back and catching the ball over the defender, ect.   As for the he’s hurt crowd it’s the same passing we have seen the whole time he just doesn’t have acrobatic catching receivers to save him anymore.  His deep ball is shit and always has been.  He’s got grit love the kid but man I hope he gets drafted somewhere so we can move on.  

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Our outside receivers are the worst outside receiver group ive ever seen at Texas

What does that matter when the pass isn’t close to them?   And to say the worst is a stretch?  If the balls not close does it matter if they are the worst or actually not bad but don’t catch crazy catches always...   sure a couple were easy drops but most were not.  They were off throws. Let’s be real.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Really illustrates how poorly Sam has thrown the ball during the 2020 CFB Season...   41.   SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Among the many Big 12 quarterbacks to take a big step back is Sam Ehlinger, whose passing grade has gone from 81.2 in 2018 to 86.9 in 2019 to 73.5 in 2020. There are way too many instances where he scrambles when he shouldn’t, forcing a bad throw off structure. On those plays this season, Ehlinger ranks fourth-to-last in passing grade among FBS qualifiers.

Ehlinger's accuracy this year has been spotty, too. He has the 11th-worst rate of uncatchable balls thrown over 10 yards downfield (46%). And he hasn't fared any better when throwing into a tight window, completing just eight of 54 such throws this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-quarterback-situations-ahead-of-cfb-week-12

Everyone wants to blame the QB when the numbers get worse, but fail to look at all the variables. What would happen to Trevor Lawrence's numbers if he had to play behind the Texas shitty OL? Sure Sam has been off, and the talent at WR has dropped, but Josh Moore has been good. However, I still think the biggest factor has been the OL. No QB can be successful running around for their life all game.

Sam looked battered the past few games and his WRs have stone hands.   We will have a chance to see Sam rested and healed in a few weeks.   The shit o-line will hopefully took another step forward (maybe they will be less runny shit and more like dehydrated 3 day old shit that hurts) when we see them and the WRs will have at least better hands than DBs.    Maybe Tom Herman can remember that the guy, whose job it is to run the ball, should run the ball and that all RBs/WRs are not interchangeable.    Maybe Monkeys will fly out of my butt and maybe our center will stop trying to swallow the football with his asshole during gametime.    Maybe Tom Herman will recognize that what people call momentum is actually morale and to take advantage of it, I get it, football speak is sometimes stupid (defense this) but this was never the point.  

There's a lot of hyperbole in this thread. Sam never was and never will be as precise of a thrower as Colt McCoy. He is also not as bad as this year's statistics indicate. He's dealt with sub-par coaching, poor offensive game plans, and less than reliable wide receivers. This year's offensive line has been a tremendous disappointment in regards to pass pro. 

What we saw from him in 2018 and 2019 should be his norm. With proper coaching and this year's roster, it should be more than good enough to win the Big12 and play in the CFP.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

Everyone wants to blame the QB when the numbers get worse, but fail to look at all the variables. What would happen to Trevor Lawrence's numbers if he had to play behind the Texas shitty OL? Sure Sam has been off, and the talent at WR has dropped, but Josh Moore has been good. However, I still think the biggest factor has been the OL. No QB can be successful running around for their life all game.

Yeah the current WRs struggles have hurt Sam.  But Sam has regressed significantly this season, partly due to being banged up...

Wish Sam would take advantage of more checkdown throws... that really hurt TEXAS in the tcu game.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

It's not all Sam's fault. Our shitty O line can't hold blocks for shit most times. A lot of plays are busted because of terrible blocking. Most of this season the O line collapses and Sam ends up running for his life.