Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

41 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

This thread is filled with 5x more people bending over backwards to exalt this guy as some sort of all time great QB, on par with the likes of VY, Colt, Dak Prescott, and Tim Tebow. The posts from earlier this season are embarrassing. Countless posters insisting that Sam was perfect, blameless, and being sabotaged by everyone around him. His cult like following has quieted down since its become more and more obvious that he's not special, but the truth is that his own personal fan base has made him arguably the most overrated Longhorn in recent memory. That's what happens when you feverishly insist that an inconsistent, merely above average QB is on par with actual CFB legends.

Further, the number of Texas fans and alumni who became more fanatical and dedicated to Sam Ehlinger than to Texas football is pathetic and embarrassing. The fact that so many people *still* believe that Sam would be some transcendent QB if only he had a different coaching staff is equally stupid and baseless. Like Tom Herman's track record with QBs sucks. Give me a break. VY had Mack and GDGD holding him back and he played like a demigod. Colt had older/lazier Mack and GDGD, played behind some terrible O lines, had almost no help from the RB position/run-game game planning, and he still managed to be a two time Heisman finalist, an All American, named NPOY, etc., because he's, you know, an actually great and all-time QB. You guys have seriously got to let go of this idea that Sam is some All World QB talent who's being wastedand be real with yourselves. He is who he is, not who you want him to be. 

You know who still won’t win a mNC, Rick Barnes. Stfu 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

I mean, it's become pretty crystal clear that 2 things are true:

1) Tom Herman fucking sucks at recruiting and developing oline

2) Tom Herman's offense is built around his QB being his best rusher and taking a complete beating. He hasn't had a 1000 yard rusher at RB as a head coach. He very clearly and demonstrably does not know how to utilize his run game personnel properly.

Does Sam miss throws? Absolutely. But lets not act like Jake Smith and Tariq Black haven't dropped some incredibly easy balls this year that would have been big plays. Let's not forget that he's been mostly money in the 4th quarter of these games. Kid plays with heart and doesn't make excuses like his head coach.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

We are basically two plays away from being in the playoff conversation.  One was a boneheaded move by the end which cost us the game.  The other was on a defense at the time couldn't derail an Amtrak train much less a freshmen qb in OT.  If we were in the conversation right now would there be so much hate for Sam?

38 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

We are basically two plays away from being in the playoff conversation.  One was a boneheaded move by the end which cost us the game.  The other was on a defense at the time couldn't derail an Amtrak train much less a freshmen qb in OT.  If we were in the conversation right now would there be so much hate for Sam?

The tech game should have been a loss and both of OSU or WV were one score games. This is a good (not great) team that is held back by inconsistent play and untimely mistakes. If we could run this team back next year in a normal full 12 game season, it's probably a 9-3 team with most games being decided in the 4th qtr. That's probably the ceiling for a team coached by this staff with Sam at QB.

11 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

"Sure Sam has been off". Reading comprehension is not your strength.

It's mine.  "Sure Sam has been off" implies he's regularly on.  As about 125 people on here have posted, he really has never been save for a hot spell or two.  He's just not a gifted passer.  And if you read his post, it was that he messes throws up even when not pressured.  Which he does.

No biggie, he's a great guy and gamer.  But he's been responsible for almost singlehandedly losing 3-4 games, as QB's can be, mostly early in his career.  But he's also been responsible for singlehandedly winning about 3-4.  So I guess it's a wash.

He's a good QB but not in the top 5 for sure of UT QB's.  Maybe in the 5-10 range.  Maybe.

He’s not a very good pocket passer. Herman should have designed some kind of triple option offense for him and RoJo. In too many plays he holds on to the ball for way too long. I don’t know if it’s because the WRs suck are running routes, or the play design sucks (some other offensive minds such as Riley or Gundy seem to be adept at designing plays that leave a receiver wide fucking open; Herman...nah), or he doesn’t have confidence in himself or the WRs winning 1-on-1 matchups. His arm strength is so-so. It’s like he has to put his whole body behind the ball in order to throw it far. And sometimes he’s inaccurate.

Didn’t Sam complete lik

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

He’s not a very good pocket passer. Herman should have designed some kind of triple option offense for him and RoJo. In too many plays he holds on to the ball for way too long. I don’t know if it’s because the WRs suck are running routes, or the play design sucks (some other offensive minds such as Riley or Gundy seem to be adept at designing plays that leave a receiver wide fucking open; Herman...nah), or he doesn’t have confidence in himself or the WRs winning 1-on-1 matchups. His arm strength is so-so. It’s like he has to put his whole body behind the ball in order to throw it far. And sometimes he’s inaccurate.

He’s actually a really good pocket passer. He’s not a good deep ball passer. Short to intermediate passing he’s one of the best in cfb

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Didn’t Sam complete lik

He’s actually a really good pocket passer. He’s not a good deep ball passer. Short to intermediate passing he’s one of the best in cfb

Meh, I’d like to see some advanced stats on this. He definitely makes some good intermediate throws, but he also does shit like miss a 5 yard hitch by 8 feet or force our guys to jump to catch a screen pass totally fucking up play timing. That latter shit sticks out more to me but I’d like to see a real breakdown. What is definitely true is his completion percentage this year is not good.

• Like 1

Most of y'all in this thread sound like scorned lovers. Get over the fact that Sam didn't turn into Colt Tebow. He's not that great nor that bad and nobody is saying otherwise. He's a decent passer who goes through hot and cold streaks. His running and leadership have won us some games that we shouldn't have over the last four years and he deserves more credit than anyone else for the fact that the football program is much improved over where it was 4 years ago. Let's let this season play out before we make any final judgements on his legacy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

This thread is filled with 5x more people bending over backwards to exalt this guy as some sort of all time great QB, on par with the likes of VY, Colt, Dak Prescott, and Tim Tebow. The posts from earlier this season are embarrassing. Countless posters insisting that Sam was perfect, blameless, and being sabotaged by everyone around him. His cult like following has quieted down since its become more and more obvious that he's not special, but the truth is that his own personal fan base has made him arguably the most overrated Longhorn in recent memory. That's what happens when you feverishly insist that an inconsistent, merely above average QB is on par with actual CFB legends.

Further, the number of Texas fans and alumni who became more fanatical and dedicated to Sam Ehlinger than to Texas football is pathetic and embarrassing. The fact that so many people *still* believe that Sam would be some transcendent QB if only he had a different coaching staff is equally stupid and baseless. Like Tom Herman's track record with QBs sucks. Give me a break. VY had Mack and GDGD holding him back and he played like a demigod. Colt had older/lazier Mack and GDGD, played behind some terrible O lines, had almost no help from the RB position/run-game game planning, and he still managed to be a two time Heisman finalist, an All American, named NPOY, etc., because he's, you know, an actually great and all-time QB. You guys have seriously got to let go of this idea that Sam is some All World QB talent who's being wastedand be real with yourselves. He is who he is, not who you want him to be. 

Almost no help from the rb position LULZ. So that 07 team didn’t have Jamaal rush for 1700 yards and 20 TD’s. You are fucking regarded if you think Vince and Colt played on the same kind of footbal teams Sam did. Jordan Shipley makes Sam a heisman finalist, ramonce Taylor lights this new age big 12 the fuck up. Cedric benson and Jamal Charles are different animals man...Daniel young, some JAG transfer from cal, Ingram and oh a third string QB. Hahahaha I almost couldn’t type it out it was so preposterous. Colt stumbled against ok state being an all time great. He also lost to k-state and aggy two years in a row. From 02 to 09 we had the best athletes on the planet and only Vince young went undefeated once. Being great is hard, and being really good takes more than just a QB fuck faces. Sam can be average, it’s fine that he is. It’s not his got damn fault tho. Meyer, saban, or dabo ever trot out their 3rd string qb to play rb behind tua, Trevor, or fields? I don’t even blame Chris Simms for sucking shit through a straw against blOwU because in hind sight Mack was scared shitless of stoops and played “not to lose” instead of to win. Bill Snyder made QB’s like Sam fuck our faces for years. TCU did it this year. Next year will be the proof if we still have herman and we trot out Thompson or card. It will be a shit show I guarantee it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Didn’t Sam complete lik

"When throwing into a tight window, completing just eight of 54 such throws this season" doesn't equate to accuracy or being "one of the best in cfb" at short to intermediate passing... 

I am willing to give Sam some benefit of the doubt here that he's been playing hurt. In the past two years he's made the throws that he's missing badly now. 

As has been said, Herman's offense gets his QB killed. So you better recruit depth at QB. See: Jones, Cardale.

We knew this when we hired him. Recruits know this too. Come to Texas and get your brains beat in is not a real great sales pitch. 

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Maybe this isn't the right message board for you. 

Let me rephrase. Wtf classifies as throwing into a tight window? Defender within 5 yds, 10 yds, 15 yds? More importantly wtf does this stat even matter and what does it have to do with Sam’s short to intermediate passing accuracy?

9 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Let me rephrase. Wtf classifies as throwing into a tight window? Defender within 5 yds, 10 yds, 15 yds? More importantly wtf does this stat even matter and what does it have to do with Sam’s short to intermediate passing accuracy?

“Tight” throws are defined by a defender being within an arm’s length of the receiver, or in the right spot in a passing window so as to discourage the throw.

Source: pff

Just now, Eggo said:

“Tight” throws are defined by a defender being within an arm’s length of the receiver, or in the right spot in a passing window so as to discourage the throw.

Source: pff

So he’s less accurate when a WR has a defender draped all over him? Cool!! Sounds like more of an indictment on our WRs than Sam but whatever 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Almost no help from the rb position LULZ. So that 07 team didn’t have Jamaal rush for 1700 yards and 20 TD’s. 

..."and yet he still finished as a Heisman finalist twice, was an All American, NPOY winner, etc." that's the rest of my quote. And in those two seasons that I referenced, the ones where he finished as a Heisman finalist and an All Americans, our running game was pathetic. did you want to address what i actually posted, or is your disingenuous response just a way for you to vent some anger? 

UT's leading rushers Colt's junior year:

Colt McCoy- 561 yards, 11 TDs

Vondrell McGee- 376 yards, 4 TDs

Chris Ogbonnaya- 373 yards, 4 TDs

Cody Johnson- 338 yards, 12 TDs

UT's leading rushers Colt's senior year:

Tre Newton- 552 yards, 4 TDs

Colt McCoy-348 yards, 3 TDs

Cody Johnson- 335 yards, 12 TDs

Vondrell McGee- 300 yards, 2 TDs

but please, continue with your retarded, indignant response about how Colt had all of his amazing success as a QB while being surrounded by some amazing (see: nonexistent) running game. 🙄 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

But here is the thing, being a 4th year starter Sam also does a bad job of coming off his 1st and second reads. He doesn't do well hitting check downs when if you watch the games there are players there wide open. He's forcing balls deep and into windows he shouldn't. 

The first part may have some validity.

But he is not forcing balls into windows he shouldn't very often. A deep ball into man coverage is not forcing it into windows he shouldn't. Now if you want to argue he should take more underneath higher percentage throws, then that's a good argument. And that argument would be supported by a discussion that our WRs simply do not make plays often. An example is Moore in the endzone versus OU that results in a pick. Yes underthrown. Not a bad decision. But the WR did a poor job fighting for the ball too.

This year Sam has seemingly been less inclined to take underneath routes. Is it his doing? Has he been instructed to take more deep shots? Is he trying to prove he can? But this was not the reason we lost to TCU. Penalties, dropped balls, the fumble, and disappointing defense were the primary reasons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

..."and yet he still finished as a Heisman finalist twice, was an All American, NPOY winner, etc." that's the rest of my quote. And in those two seasons that I referenced, the ones where he finished as a Heisman finalist and an All Americans, our running game was pathetic. did you want to address what i actually posted, or is your disingenuous response just a way for you to vent some anger? 

but please, continue with your retarded, indignant response about how Colt had all of his amazing success as a QB while being surrounded by some amazing (see: nonexistent) running game. 🙄 

Aside from Bijan, are you saying those rb’s aren’t better then the ones we have right now? Do me a quick favor and post the running stats from 2017. If you think any of colts years were like our 2017 year then I give up man. You win. 

Colt McCoy = most underrated player in CFB history. Essentially left the field with his team leading every game. He may have had 1 second vs Tech. And the offensive talent around him was minimal in those two years.

I'm not saying Sam is Colt. But some comps. Sam led his team to more points in a single OU game. Probably averaged more vs. OU since Colt led his team to the fewest points versus them too. Colts 2009 season was not as good as 2008. His last full game played he led us to 13 points when his defense gave up 100 yards of offense. He made poor throws, held the ball too long (not all the sacks were the Olines fault), and missed open guys.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Honest question here, have you seen our running stats this year? 

Did anybody just see the first two passes from Justin Fields? That’s how a great QB throws. 
Yeah ok. Did you see that WR separation? Particularly the TD. Did you see the clean pocket? But most significantly did you see the open field? Easy reads. And when your OC does that continously your confidence goes up. Fields did exactly what he should do.

And did you just see that shitty shitty read and throw?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

“Throwing into a tight window”? Wtf does that even mean?

It means every throw in this offense because no one is ever open.  

I used to get worried one of my die hard Gator friends was going to shank me if I mentioned that Tebow likely wouldn’t succeed in the NFL.  There is a reason he is the best comparison to Sam.  They are both skilled FBs with some pretty good passing abilities. One just happened to have an elite coach.  

• Like 1

Aside from Bijan, are you saying those rb’s aren’t better then the ones we have right now? Do me a quick favor and post the running stats from 2017. If you think any of colts years were like our 2017 year then I give up man. You win. 

you do me a quick favor and quit moving the goal posts for your own weird, pointless agenda. you're starting combative arguments for the purpose of arguing. stop doing that. 

Edited by shadow_operative

42 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He is. You’re absolutely right. But he’s also been hurt. 

Every year this has been the same excuse for his poor play. At some point you have to perform in the face of the injuries. To the point of being drafted, that will be an issue for teams in the league because there are far fewer possessions (opportunities) and you can’t miss that many throws. He’s setting passing records based on volume throwing, not because of his passing prowess. 

• Like 1

Honest question here, have you seen our running stats this year? 

Colt McCoy was a 2x Heisman finalist (the 08 and 09 seasons) while playing behind two porous O lines, with old/lazy Mack and GDGD running the offense, and virtually zero RB game to help him out. That's what I said. That's what you quoted. Why you keep responding to this with posts about Jamaal Charles, Bijan Robinson, the 2007 team, the 2020 team, and so on and so forth, I cannot explain. 

That said, if we're going to go down this road, then it's seems to me that the point you're trying to make is that if we took  2008/09 Colt McCoy and had him switch places with 2019/20 Sam Ehlinger that the difference in results would be negligible. Is that what you're trying to say? Because if not then I don't understand what point it is that you're trying to make. 

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I mean, it's become pretty crystal clear that 2 things are true:

1) Tom Herman fucking sucks at recruiting and developing oline

2) Tom Herman's offense is built around his QB being his best rusher and taking a complete beating. He hasn't had a 1000 yard rusher at RB as a head coach. He very clearly and demonstrably does not know how to utilize his run game personnel properly.

Does Sam miss throws? Absolutely. But lets not act like Jake Smith and Tariq Black haven't dropped some incredibly easy balls this year that would have been big plays. Let's not forget that he's been mostly money in the 4th quarter of these games. Kid plays with heart and doesn't make excuses like his head coach.

i could take your last paragraph, flip everything around, and it would still be 100% true.

Have Sam's WRs dropped some balls? Absolutely. But let's not act like Sam doesn't make 5-10 totally poor throws every game, often missing wide open targets for what should be huge plays. Yeah, he's helped lead some comebacks (with plenty of help from prevent-type defenses and miraculous special teams plays), but we would never have been in those holes in the first place if Sam had been hitting his wide open targets for big plays and TDs to begin with. 

See? It's all about framing it the way you want to frame it. Both posts are equally true (i didn't even mention Sam's propensity to hold onto the ball too long, his erratic decision making, or his struggles with screens/short throws) but they paint an entirely different picture. The fact that so many of you insist on framing it that way is really what says it all.

and as for this line:

"Kid plays with heart and doesn't make excuses like his head coach."

Well no shit. The two situations aren't exactly analogous, are they. Tom Herman is under immense pressure from one the largest, whiniest, most powerful, and most entitled fan bases in all of sports. His head is on the chopping block, and he has to manage *the entire football program*, a 100 hour-a-week job which consists of him overseeing more than 100 people and their roles, their egos, their feelings, their jobs, their positions, their classes, their play, their mental health, their job security, their families, their livelihoods, and so on and so forth. Meanwhile very vocal portion of our fan base straight up hates this guy, disrespecting him at every turn, blaming literally every struggle on the team on him, and basically saying that he's a stupid piece of shit who deserves to be fired and excommunicated.

meanwhile, the other one is a superstar Big Man On Campus Austin Westlake hero QB who, despite ranging from mediocre - plain ole bad more than anyone wants to admit, gets treated like a golden god who has never done anything wrong in his life. he goes out there and sucks shit for three and half quarters week after week and the same people who crush Herman every day are all, "hey Sam, can I gargle your balls while you impregnate my daughter?" 

no shit one of those guys has an easier time than the other when it comes to "making excuses". 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Oh i get it now. You're a Tom Herman defender. You get to just blame it all on Sam, and ignore the fact that if there is a better QB on the roster, Tom Herman either doesn't have the intelligence to recognize it or the balls to make the move. Which would still make him a shitty, ineffective coach.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Oh i get it now. You're a Tom Herman defender. You get to just blame it all on Sam, and ignore the fact that if there is a better QB on the roster, Tom Herman either doesn't have the intelligence to recognize it or the balls to make the move. Which still makes him a shitty coach.

thanks for this substantive, germane reply to my posts. it's this type of high minded conversation that separates surly from the rest of the over the top, fanatical sports team based message boards out there. 

11 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Sam is a very good if limited QB who's been constantly hamstrung by a stubborn, moronic Coach that refuses to address shitty oline play or scheme to our talent advantages. Did I cover everything?

Our OL is rated the 2nd best in the Big 12 behind Kansas State. Watch other teams play. There are very few QBs who have more time to throw than Sam.

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Colt McCoy was a 2x Heisman finalist (the 08 and 09 seasons) while playing behind two porous O lines, with old/lazy Mack and GDGD running the offense, and virtually zero RB game to help him out. That's what I said. That's what you quoted. Why you keep responding to this with posts about Jamaal Charles, Bijan Robinson, the 2007 team, the 2020 team, and so on and so forth, I cannot explain. 

That said, if we're going to go down this road, then it's seems to me that the point you're trying to make is that if we took  2008/09 Colt McCoy and had him switch places with 2019/20 Sam Ehlinger that the difference in results would be negligible. Is that what you're trying to say? Because if not then I don't understand what point it is that you're trying to make. 

The point of all of it is simply that even 08/09 football teams were better than any team Sam has had with a better head coach. Lazy Mack is better than any version of herman. In 07 when Colt had a bad ass rb he didn’t need to carry the football team. In 08/09 with a less successful rushing attack Colt was forced to carry the team and did a HOF caliber job. Sam has had 4 fucking years of having to carry the team. He’s never had a 1,000 yard rusher line up behind him. I don’t want to compare Colt and Sam in terms of legacy, I’m sorry if that’s what it ended up becoming. Whatever Sam has become has very little to do with his actual progression or ability. He should have turned into a good QB that got us to a CFP. Period 

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah ok. Did you see that WR separation? Particularly the TD. Did you see the clean pocket? But most significantly did you see the open field? Easy reads. And when your OC does that continously your confidence goes up. Fields did exactly what he should do.

And did you just see that shitty shitty read and throw?

Yeah, their offense makes playing QB look (emphasis on look) so damn easy 

Yeah, their offense makes playing QB look (emphasis on look) so damn easy 
A lot of it is actually easy. Throw it to Wilson and Olave. Those guys aren't the 3rd read. Same reason every OU QB will put up numbers. Riley and Day make much of it easy. But a great oline and game breaking WRs.

Every offense gets those easy gimme plays for a QB. We need more just like the Bijan game clincher vs WVU. The TCU game we had several but screwed them up with senseless penalties.

• Like 1