Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Only Texas fans think Sam Ehlinger sucks. Everyone else praises him

He's a lesser form of Tebow. And Tebow had the luxury when he became the starter to play with a stacked roster full of talent. As well as playing for an excellent coach in Meyer. Tebow needed both of those factors to win. Sam plays for Herman and the talent here is not what it was in Florida.

He doesn't suck but he never progressed to the guy many expected after that 2018 season. Took a big step back in 2019. And now we are just back to where he was back then. Which is not good enough to win anything of significance. 

8 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Yeah you’re right he sucks. Literally every college football analyst had him top five but he sucks. Same career passing percentage as Trevor Lawrence but he’s ass

Where did I say he sucks?

You honestly think Alabama would give up Mac Jones and ND would give up Ian Book for Sam? That’s delusional. Who has him in the top 5 currently? I’d love to see that. 

Edited by 4th&Five

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

You honestly think Alabama would give up Mac Jones and ND would give up Ian Book for Sam? That’s delusional. 

You said most of the top 25 would not trade for Sam. That’s pretty much saying he sucks. Just because Bama and ND are winning doesn’t mean they wouldnt trade for Sam. Ian Book arm talent is equal to Sam if that. 

Sam is not the reason we lost to TCU or OU. He’s pretty much the reason we were even in those games. He’s singlehandedly the reason we beat Texas Tech. This entire thread is pretty much a cesspool of bitching Texas fans

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You honestly think Alabama would give up Mac Jones and ND would give up Ian Book for Sam? That’s delusional. Who has him in the top 5 currently? I’d love to see that. 

For the record if you go by career QBR Trevor Lawrence is the 47th rated QB in the last 20 years. What does the eye test say about that stat? Saban would most certainly trot Sam out. Did you see his QB’s when he won his first 2 titles? Now the trade Mac Jones straight up is pretty dumb haha but I think the point was Sam could win at bama. Mac would have trouble winning at Texas under herman. 

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

For the record if you go by career QBR Trevor Lawrence is the 47th rated QB in the last 20 years. What does the eye test say about that stat? Saban would most certainly trot Sam out. Did you see his QB’s when he won his first 2 titles? Now the trade Mac Jones straight up is pretty dumb haha but I think the point was Sam could win at bama. Mac would have trouble winning at Texas under herman

Saban could win with a paraplegic with fingers for shoulders. Lol

You honestly think Alabama would give up Mac Jones and ND would give up Ian Book for Sam? That’s delusional. 
Probably not. Kudos to Book for beating Clemson without their QB and several defensive guys. But Sam has shown more than Book that if a coach is choosing a college QB, he chooses Sam.

And Mac Jones stands back there playing glorified 7 on 7. Just like Tua before. But I would expect Saban to choose his guy.

As a sample of Books stats. 11-19. 106 yards. Against Louisville. 3 and 6 Louisville. 153 yards of total offense vs. USF. He's played 3 teams with winning records. Pitt and BC are 1 game above .500. He's played 3 with no more than 2 wins.

51 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

For the record if you go by career QBR Trevor Lawrence is the 47th rated QB in the last 20 years. What does the eye test say about that stat? 

Where are you seeing this? He’s 16th all time in passer rating per sports-reference.com so that’s a huge disconnect. QBR must really heavily factor in running.

10 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Where are you seeing this? He’s 16th all time in passer rating per sports-reference.com so that’s a huge disconnect. QBR must really heavily factor in running.

Yeah I also fucked up the wording which I’ll own up to. I found it on espn which may not be reputable on here but the stat is actually QBR in a season. Kyler Murray has the best all time and Lawrence’s best season puts him at 47th. It’s not an overall career, my bad. I think it might be time for me to take a break from surly posting lol. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This thread is pathetic. You should all be ashamed.

Two weekends of no TEXAS football games in November -- the results in this thread are not surprising.

Texas last played WVU on 11/7.  That's 20 days between games.  Can't wait to hear how "hard it is to win after 20 days off".

We have a coach who seems to be on the road to being a national laughing-stock, if he's not already there, following a coach who couldn't remember his own quarterback's name, or the zip code of the rent-free (okay, $1 a year) house he lived in, following a coach whose most memorable mantra was "Skeers ya ta death" but was still able to demand -and get - three more years (and another fifteen megabucks or so) to fix things which he had just spent the previous ten or twelve years building.

We fucking well are pathetic.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas can run the table, but Sam Ehlinger must regain his form
by Chris Hummer

8 hours ago

There might not be a college football team more tied to a single player’s identity than Texas and senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger. He does everything for the Longhorns. He’s Texas’ leading passer. He’s Texas’ leading rusher. He’s made 38 more rushing attempts than the next-closest player on the roster. His 29 total touchdowns account for 85.3% of the offense’s total for the year.  Herman employs a variation of the power spread Urban Meyer made famous, and Ehlinger, a bruising runner, embodies the spirit of that term on every snap.  "If you could design the mental and emotional makeup of a quarterback, you couldn't have designed one better in a laboratory than Sam Ehlinger,” Texas head coach Tom Herman said earlier this year. “He's not perfect by any stretch, but man, I don't know that there's another guy in my life that I would want in my foxhole than that guy.”

When things are going right, the Longhorns are really difficult to stop. Ehlinger, who squats 500-plus pounds with ease, runs quarterback power as well as anyone. Paired with a good run game and a talented group of receivers, and the Longhorns’ offense can really click. That happened last season when Texas ranked 17th nationally in points per game and 21st in average yards per play.   But that isn’t the reality right now. Texas ranks 52nd nationally in yards per play. The main culprit for Texas’ offense struggles is of course Ehlinger, the person who the unit runs nearly everything through.  His traditional numbers wouldn't tell you he's struggling: 1,834 yards, 22 TDs, 5 INTs. Yet those numbers, along with seven rushing touchdowns, don’t provide a complete picture. Remove Ehlinger’s up-and-down true freshman season from the equation, and he’s completing a career-low 58.8 percent of his passes and averaging a career-worst 7.3 yards per attempt.

The advanced stats, via PFF College, aren’t much kinder to Ehlinger:

Year.....

Adj CMP% ....

Under Pressure CMP%

CMP% Kept Clean

Adj Deep Ball CMP%

College football programs tend to work in cycles. Generally, the hope is a contender can emerge around a quarterback as he matures. Texas needed that to be the case this year with a fourth-year starter at QB surrounded by a team that returned the 21st-most production nationally. Instead, Ehlinger has regressed in almost every important category.  That deep ball adjusted completion percentage is particularly concerning. The hits Ehlinger and the running backs take in the early downs and game are supposed to lead to deep play-action shots later in drives and in games. The opportunities are there every game. Ehlinger is missing far too many.  Not only is he down 22 percent from his sophomore year deep ball percent, but he’s miles behind the elite passers in college football: Zach Wilson (78.4%), Kyle Trask (71.4%), Mac Jones (68.8%). Those downfield chunk plays change games. If Ehlinger were even close to his sophomore-year peak in that category, the Longhorns are likely sitting at 7-0 and the entire narrative surrounding the program would be different.

Take Texas’ overtime loss to Oklahoma. Down 31-17 early in the fourth quarter, Ehlinger missed Tarik Black on a post route that would’ve likely gone for a touchdown. Said FOX’s Joel Klatt on the broadcast: “That’s a senior quarterback right there. He’s got to hit him.” Against TCU, Ehlinger completed just one of his four pass attempts of 20-plus yards.  Part of this regression is understandable. Ehlinger takes more hits than any quarterback in the country. He’s been banged up all year – quad, hand, calf – and his o-line, which ranks 80th nationally in sacks allowed per game, doesn’t help either.  Still, when a team is in position to contend, it needs its quarterback to elevate, no matter the extenuating circumstances. The opposite has happened in Austin.

Facing the most critical stretch of their season, the Longhorns have a chance to secure a Big 12 title game berth with wins over Iowa State (Friday), at Kansas State and at Kansas. A team that started 2-2 and a coach who faced an oppressively hot seat now control their own destiny. And nobody is in more control than Texas' senior QB. The next few weeks present an opportunity for Ehlinger to redeem what’s been among the worst stretches of his career. He’ll never feel more refreshed than after back-to-back bye weeks. The Longhorns just better hope Ehlinger circa 2018 and 2019 makes his 2020 debut.

https://247sports.com/Article/Sam-Ehlinger-must-regain-form-Texas-Longhorns-football-Big-12-championship-155273144/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Different eras for sure, but who is the best from this bunch?  How would these other guys perform with this 2020 squad:  Sam Ehlinger, Eddie Phillips, Marty Akins, Todd Dodge, Peter Gardere or Rick McIvor.   I believe Todd Dodge and Rick McIvor would have rocked it in a spread offense.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

On 11/20/2020 at 12:54 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Aside from two games(I'm not even going to include UTEP) Sam was not pressured that much or often.

vs Tech - Arguably his best game of the year

27/40 - 68% completion - 5 TDs - 1 INT

1 hurry - 2 sacks - 8 pass deflected

vs TCU 

17/36 - 47% completion - 4 TDs - 1 INT

2 hurries - 0 sacks - 5 pass deflected

vs ousux

30/53 - 56% completion - 2 TDs - 2 INTs

7 hurries - 6 sacks - 4 pass deflected

vs Baylor

15/23 - 65% completion - 1 TD - 1 INT

0 hurries - 2 sacks - 3 passes deflected

vs OkSt

18/34 - 52% completion - 3 TD

5 hurries - 6 sacks - 5 pass deflected

vs WVU

15/31 - 48% completion - 2 TD

0 hurries - 1 sack - 7 pass deflected

Outside of ousux and okSt he's only been sacked 5 times and hurried 3 times. 

ousux vs okstate combined for 12 sacks and 12 hurries

Sam has just been bad when it comes to accuracy as he's always been. The only difference this year is what @4th&Five alluded to. He doesn't have a Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan, or Duverney to bail him out as he has had. That still doesn't excuse him missing wide open targets deep and throwing low or behind receivers in the intermediate throws. He's just been bad this year for the most part with regards to hitting targets and accuracy.

Not sure what PFF says but OB has a stats guy that's been running numbers on the OL since 2012. Says this is the best OL Texas has had since he's been tracking. Left side of the line is performing at a high level. Right side playing above average. Center is average.  

Also, a bunch of those sacks are Sam's fault. He's holding onto the ball too long and missing windows, or scrambling when it isn't necessary.

Edited by CenTex Hill Billy

Grades around 80 in their senior seasons are UDFA/ Late round NFL draft caliber players. 87+ are early round picks. 75 is average for D1. JAGs.

OL Grades (WVU)

LT Sam Cosmi - 65 snaps

No disruption allowed
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 81.38

LG Junior Angilau - 65 snaps
No disruption allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.69

C Derek Kerstetter - 65 snaps
2 run-stuffs allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.15

RG Denzel Okafor - 65 snaps
2 QB pressures allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 76.38

RT Christian Jones - 65 snaps
1 sack, 1 pressure, 1 QB hit allowed
1 holding penalty
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77

OL snaps per disruption allowed

ct1N3rW.jpg

OL Grades by Week (2020)

UmZvTLl.jpg

OL Grades last 6 years

9CWN0fh.jpg

Jags

Not sure what PFF says but OB has a stats guy that's been running numbers on the OL since 2012. Says this is the best OL Texas has had since he's been tracking. Left side of the line is performing at a high level. Right side playing above average. Center is average.  
Also, a bunch of those sacks are Sam's fault. He's holding onto the ball too long and missing windows, or scrambling when it isn't necessary.

How is the average to above average ranked 80th? Do they get extra points for snapping the ball into their own ass? Do they get extra points for allowing a sack on a 3 man rush?

This line of thinking brings to thought the question of how long is too long to hold the ball. And maybe you could argue everytime you get sacked you held it too long. If all receivers are running verticals, you're going to hold it longer. If receivers are covered, you're likely to hold it longer. If your receivers are slow, you're likely to hold it longer. All sorts of variables. 3rd and 15 versus 1st and 10. You should hold it longer on 3rd than on 1st.

What I've not heard is a good analysis on how long is too long on a particular play or even for a type of offense that compares how long the QB actually holds the ball. I heard it several times that justin Fields has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. I suppose if you present no evidence that evidence cannot be proven wrong.

If you’ve got 4 seconds to throw and get sacked, you held it too long. There’s no shame in scrambling for a few yards, dumping it off or throwing it away to have another chance. Don’t just hold onto it hoping someone comes open.
Fair enough. But I'd say certain situations dictate it is reasonable to hold it longer if that ultimately increases your conversion rate. But that is predicated on not having another chance for that possession. You do not approach 1st and 3rd the same.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

How is the average to above average ranked 80th? Do they get extra points for snapping the ball into their own ass? Do they get extra points for allowing a sack on a 3 man rush?

Its not a ranking it's a rating. Base rating is 75. Those are JAGs in D1 football. Anything below 75 is trash. I do not know the formulas used to calculate these ratings but the creator pulled from historical stats from senior seasons of OL. 

1st/early rounders were found to hit ratings of 87 with generational guys above 90 during their senior seasons. 

Late rounders and UDFA were around the 80 range. Rest of NFL caliber talent is in between. 

A center snapping the ball ass would count as a TFL. For a 3 man rush, the disruption is counted towards the lineman that blew the block.

context
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Fair enough. But I'd say certain situations dictate it is reasonable to hold it longer if that ultimately increases your conversion rate. But that is predicated on not having another chance for that possession. You do not approach 1st and 3rd the same.

The question seems to be whether Sam generally has been taking too long to stop looking for an open receiver and either run or throw the ball away, not what down it happens on. If you want to argue about the down, you need to go ahead and make a decent analysis and take all of the game variables into account. What period are we in? Are we ahead or behind? What's the field position? What formation are we in? What routes are the receivers running? Who are the receivers? Why aren't they open? Has Sam been told not to run or scramble at this point in the game? Is he in the tackle box or outside it? I have no doubt you can find many more salient points, so get right to it. 

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

This line of thinking brings to thought the question of how long is too long to hold the ball. And maybe you could argue everytime you get sacked you held it too long. If all receivers are running verticals, you're going to hold it longer. If receivers are covered, you're likely to hold it longer. If your receivers are slow, you're likely to hold it longer. All sorts of variables. 3rd and 15 versus 1st and 10. You should hold it longer on 3rd than on 1st.

What I've not heard is a good analysis on how long is too long on a particular play or even for a type of offense that compares how long the QB actually holds the ball. I heard it several times that justin Fields has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. I suppose if you present no evidence that evidence cannot be proven wrong.

Sam has admitted that he has been late and is working on timing with his receivers (per last weeks presser). Rewatch any of our games and you'll see Sam picking up receivers late. 

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

If you’ve got 4 seconds to throw and get sacked, you held it too long. There’s no shame in scrambling for a few yards, dumping it off or throwing it away to have another chance. Don’t just hold onto it hoping someone comes open.

So for the whole o-line this year thus far we are seeing 1 sack, TFL, penalty, hit, or qb pressure EVERY 5 SNAPS!!

RT and RG responsible for 55% of it. Wow Okafor got way worse this year.

okafor

59 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

37 minutes ago, Pope Joan said:

The question seems to be whether Sam generally has been taking too long to stop looking for an open receiver and either run or throw the ball away, not what down it happens on. If you want to argue about the down, you need to go ahead and make a decent analysis and take all of the game variables into account. What period are we in? Are we ahead or behind? What's the field position? What formation are we in? What routes are the receivers running? Who are the receivers? Why aren't they open? Has Sam been told not to run or scramble at this point in the game? Is he in the tackle box or outside it? I have no doubt you can find many more salient points, so get right to it. 

Here is an interesting article

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article102215367.html

here is an old list of average qb’s TTT in the NFL.

BF9CD1CF-27D9-4D09-A5C8-59CEEB16F1F4.png

39 minutes ago, Pope Joan said:

Sams issues is that he’s not looking for opened receivers. He’s looking at the same receivers too long IMO 

I'd say for those saying he's held on to the ball too long to prove it. I'm not claiming he is or isn't. I've heard it said over the years about different QBs yet never heard real data to substantiate that claim.