Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Tricky spot.  He’s probably better off sitting for a year or two and learning from Reich.  On the other hand, he needs to beat out Eason to firmly claim the backup job when Wentz is healthy and avoid practice squad duty.   I really don’t want to see him thrown to the wolves, which is what is going to happen to whoever wins the job if they don’t pick up a vet.  I think Sam can have a nice NFL career, but I think getting thrown into the fire immediately might cause more harm than good.

As long as James Harrison is still retired, Sam should be OK. Dude welcomed Colt and Vince into the NFL with kill shots.

51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Tricky spot.  He’s probably better off sitting for a year or two and learning from Reich.  On the other hand, he needs to beat out Eason to firmly claim the backup job when Wentz is healthy and avoid practice squad duty.   I really don’t want to see him thrown to the wolves, which is what is going to happen to whoever wins the job if they don’t pick up a vet.  I think Sam can have a nice NFL career, but I think getting thrown into the fire immediately might cause more harm than good.

Plenty of QBs have found success on the field in their rookie seasons recently (Hebert, Burrow, Murray,  Mayfield, L Jackson) and most of those guys stepped into rosters that didn't make the playoffs the previous year. If Sam ends up QB2 and Wentz isn't ready to go, it's a better opportunity than most would have. Step up and show you have what it takes to be an NFL QB. Sam's played a lot of football on big stages, let 'er rip.

45 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Plenty of QBs have found success on the field in their rookie seasons recently (Hebert, Burrow, Murray,  Mayfield, L Jackson) and most of those guys stepped into rosters that didn't make the playoffs the previous year. If Sam ends up QB2 and Wentz isn't ready to go, it's a better opportunity than most would have. Step up and show you have what it takes to be an NFL QB. Sam's played a lot of football on big stages, let 'er rip.

You named 5 guys picked in the first round.  Sam went in the 6th round for a reason, he needs to work on some things.  I think it would be beneficial to him if he got a little time to work on his craft.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Tex48 said:

If Sam starts, I'm ordering Sam's jersey from DHgate and becoming a Colts fan again.  I was a fan of them when Luck was there because I thought Luck was hilarious and such a fun guy to watch play.  I'm mainly a cowboys fan but if Sam becomes QB1, they will become my new AFC team.  

I just spent a decade as a Texans fan and I actually might entertain this as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

You named 5 guys picked in the first round.  Sam went in the 6th round for a reason, he needs to work on some things.  I think it would be beneficial to him if he got a little time to work on his craft.  

What about Dak Prescott then or Russell Wilson?  Opportunity windows are narrow in the NFL, especially for QBs.  Sam has one now.  He needs to seize it as it may not come again and it sounds like he's doing just that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

update posted on espn this morning

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz and guard Quenton Nelson are trending toward recovering from foot surgeries in time for next month's regular-season opener against the Seattle Seahawks, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The Colts announced last week that both Wentz and Nelson would be sidelined five to 12 weeks after undergoing operations to repair the same foot injury.

Wentz, who had surgery Aug. 2, will start his rehab next week but was at the Colts' training camp practice Tuesday without a walking boot and without limping.

The Wentz reclamation story is going to be fascinating. Because he was garbage last year and a notch below Hurts. He reminds me of Garrett Gilbert in 2011 in field vision and consistency. So bad that we trotted Case McCoy and raw David Ash to replace him.

If Reich can fix Wentz, then Ehlinger definitely needs to stay on with the Colts. At the very least, he’ll get a system down and get good habits.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

The Wentz reclamation story is going to be fascinating. Because he was garbage last year and a notch below Hurts. He reminds me of Garrett Gilbert in 2011 in field vision and consistency. So bad that we trotted Case McCoy and raw David Ash to replace him.

If Reich can fix Wentz, then Ehlinger definitely needs to stay on with the Colts. At the very least, he’ll get a system down and get good habits.

At this point its not just fixing Wentz, its about buying time to ramp Ehlinger properly before tossing him into the spotlight 

Little doubt they'll toss Wentz back into the starting job , how many snaps Ehlinger gets is another question 

First practice with the Panthers this afternoon from 4-6 pm.

I saw this morning on NFL Network that Peter Schrager said he thinks Sam will earn the starting role until Wentz is back. They have a segment where you take a Big Shot and that was Peter’s—and he’s pretty connected. He said that was the buzz. Jacob may be physically built like the prototypical QB and have a stronger arm but they said Sam thinks like a QB. Super smart and makes better overall decisions. That everyone around the Colts has noticed this.

The people below are the ones that have been covering Colts training camp:

Kevin Bowen

George Bremer

Joel Erickson

Stephen Holder

Zak Keefer

Mainly, I get most of my information on the Colts training camp from those guys via Twitter. Hopefully, the weather won’t force them inside. Shitty storm to the west of Indianapolis. 

Let’s go Sam! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 6

Highlights so far for the Colts offense in 1-on-1 — 2 very bad drops by Pittman on deep balls. Both lost TDs on gorgeous throws from Eason. — Patmon has the best catch of the day going up over his defender to snag a TD from Ehlinger. — Strachan looks like he belongs.

Eason also having pretty good day (some beautiful passes) BUT the OLine for Colts appears to be shitty…(LT—is one issue)…Eason was 7-10 on last drive but sacked 3 times (last sack killed drive.) he’s not as mobile or as quick with decision making as Sam. Colts keep getting hurt in practice (their field sucks?) if they roll with Sam he’s earned it but also bc he’s more mobile. The OLine collapsed around Both QBs a bunch today…Sam is used to being able to make plays when that happens. No one knows about Wentz time table (he’s been at practice the last two days and not limping) bc he starts rehab next week. If he’s not ready I can totally see Sam being the starter…Also Irsay gave interviews at intermission of practice today and said they are rolling with in-house QB until Wentz is healthy. It’s fucking official—I’m gonna have to get a Colts T-shirt 

Clip from Peter Schrager that I mentioned upthread…

The hype is real. Go Sam Go! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Eason also having pretty good day (some beautiful passes) BUT the OLine for Colts appears to be shitty…(LT—is one issue)…Eason was 7-10 on last drive but sacked 3 times (last sack killed drive.) he’s not as mobile or as quick with decision making as Sam. Colts keep getting hurt in practice (their field sucks?) if they roll with Sam he’s earned it but also bc he’s more mobile. The lone collapsed around Colts a bunch today…Sam is used to being able to make plays when that happens. No one knows about Wentz time table (he’s been at practice the last two days and not limping) bc he starts rehab next week. If he’s not ready I can totally see Sam being the starter…

Clip from Peter Schrager that I mentioned upthread…

The hype is real. Go Sam Go! 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bevo14 said:

The colts forum I perused a few weeks ago is going to be verrrrrrrrrry confuzzled by these results.

They are backtracking after today. They will justify it as shitty OLine and Sam is mobile. Most seem to like him. Eason would have had two TDs but a sure one was dropped by Pittman. I can’t wait until Sunday. Tomorrow’s practice very important as it appears they are really giving Sam a lot of looks and reps. I feel like they were shocked he was this good and it became undeniable after last week. I don’t know I’ll join their Colts fan forum…but if I do I will be a fan of the team even though I am choosing this team bc of Sam. lol lol 😂 

• Hook 'Em 3

Wrap up:

From 107.5 The Fan:

• Frank Reich was pretty pleased with his quarterback play on Thursday, and he should have been. Before we break Jacob Eason and Sam Ehlinger down individually, let’s focus on them as a pair with the two splitting starting reps again on Thursday. The two combined to go 20-of-26 (12-of-15 when running the 1st unit) against the Panthers, with no turnovers. That’s impressive, especially when you factor in this was their first time ever going against another NFL defense, the starting O was missing its left tackle, left guard and on to a third-string center. Plus, it was the windiest practice day of camp. Thursday was one of the better combined days of the entire camp for Eason and Ehlinger.
  • Eason got the initial look with the starters. He finished the day 8-of-11, and 5-of-6 with the starters. Eason made his best throw of camp in the red zone, delivering a frozen rope to Kylen Granson for a touchdown. Eason was sacked a couple of times. He completed balls to Zach Pascal 2x, Parris Campbell 2x, Dezmon Patmon, Mike Strachan T.Y. Hilton, and Granson.
  • Ehlinger went 12-of-15, going 7-of-9 with the starters. He started with 9 straight completions. He was sacked once and had to scramble out of bounds on another play. Ehlinger had several really nice throws in the red zone on Thursday. With the wind picking up, Ehlinger still had plenty of arm to hit on some connections in the red zone. Ehlinger completed passes to Mike Strachan 3x, Michael PIttman 2x, Jordan Thomas, Benny LeMay, Zach Pascal, Dezmon Patmon, Jonathan Taylor, Jack Doyle and T.Y. Hilton. Thursday was another highly efficient day for Ehlinger. If the Colts were playing their first regular season game tomorrow, Ehlinger starting would not be a crazy idea at all. There are certainly limitations to his game, but he’s been shown some pretty good consistency when rising up to the first team.
  • The offensive line, particularly the tackles, had some struggles on Thursday, with Julie’n Davenport again as the starting left tackle. Braden Smith had some issues in his return to work. Danny Pinter (foot) got hurt early in practice, so the Colts were down to third-stringer Joey Hunt with the starters.
  • Ehlinger and the offense wasn’t as crisp in 7-on-7, with some miscommunication on a couple of occasions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

The colts forum I perused a few weeks ago is going to be verrrrrrrrrry confuzzled by these results.

My question is how bad is the Colt’s defense with both putting up numbers like that?   If he keeps it up like he has so far he will pass Eason.  

Edited by Hook1997

Just now, Hook1997 said:

My question is how bad is the Colt’s defense with both putting up numbers like that?   If he keeps it up like he has he will pass Eason.  

Colts D is solid. Eason and Ehlinger were going against Panthers today and tomorrow before their Sunday pregame against Panthers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Colts D is solid. Eason and Ehlinger were going against Panthers today and tomorrow before their Sunday pregame against Panthers. 

Ok so the panthers D sucks then cause come on they are out there making even Eason look like Brady with those numbers. Lol

• Hook 'Em 1

The Ehlinger-Strachan connection is real

“Ehlinger started slowly in practice when the teams went live, facing some early pressure and misfiring on a few throws on the move. The quarterback whose every rep counts was going to need a few big throws to keep up his ascension.

Just then, Irsay spoke to a small group of media and was asked about the quarterback situation. The team owner ran through some platitudes before seemingly lightening up and offering a fun morsel on Ehlinger.

“With Sam, we’re always hoping and you think, ‘Where’s the next Montana or Brady? Could that be him?’ You just don’t know,” Irsay said.

From that point on, Ehlinger got hot. Eason looked solid, too, but Ehlinger had a few more splash throws — especially during tempo and in the red zone — and a better overall performance.

“That’s me, that’s my thing right there,” Ehlinger said. “I like 11-on-11 football, you know? … Seven-on-seven has its place, I get it. But I like when we line up, put the ball down and 11 guys go to work. That’s football, to me at least.”

Strachan caught multiple passes from Ehlinger on Thursday as the pair have formed a bond since becoming teammates. Ehlinger had a similarly sized wideout at Texas in 6-foot-6 Collin Johnson (now with the Jaguars), but Steve Smith had another comp in mind for Strachan.

“I think he’s what [the Colts] wanted Devin Funchess to be,” Smith said.

Noted for his own work ethic, Ehlinger instantly gravitated toward Strachan once he saw how the receiver put in the time.

“He’s come in and had the underdog mentality, [he’s] wanted to learn as much as possible,” Ehlinger said. “Still soaking up information every day.”

The two even have set up their own little daily debriefings to sort out each practice plan.

“Every morning he’s like, ‘Let’s go through the script.’ So you have the learner mentality and the physical ability to do whatever he wants to do. That’s a pretty decent combo.”

There’s a scenario where Ehlinger goes from nice camp story to third string. The same goes for Strachan, who remains one member of a deep stable of pass catchers. There’s also a possibility that each could play an unexpectedly significant role for a quality AFC contender.

Ehlinger feasibly could be in line for meaningful quarterback duty this season. Strachan is bigger than Michael Pittman Jr., faster than Mo Alie-Cox and could be a red-zone threat. Could this happen?

“We’re just blessed,” Strachan said. “And only God knows what will happen. Until then we just work hard and pray for the next opportunity. We’re really having fun out here doing it.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-ehlinger-turning-heads-in-colts-camp-with-help-from-his-freak-rookie-receiver-025029835.html

Sam being Sam. And he found a great target. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Growing up I was a Cowboys fan like most North Texas kids. As I got older, I enjoyed watching the Saints more and always liked Drew Brees because, well, he's Drew Fucking Brees. As a nearly 30 year old man, I have become less and less interested in pro ball. To the point that I *maybe* watched two full games last season. 

Now? Fuck yeah I'm buying an Ehlinger jersey and I'll wear that motherfucker with pride. Sam is the man. Go make Jake and Ross proud, Sam. Hook 'em!

• Hook 'Em 3

Glad Sam’s having a good camp, but some of y’all need to tap the breaks. The likelihood of significant snaps this season is low. Can only hope he puts out good tape in the pre-season and/or the Colts start valuing him higher than 3rd string. 

Not to say you shouldn’t enjoy the positive press, but perhaps the jersey purchases should stay on hold

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Glad Sam’s having a good camp, but some of y’all need to tap the breaks. The likelihood of significant snaps this season is low. Can only hope he puts out good tape in the pre-season and/or the Colts start valuing him higher than 3rd string. 

Not to say you shouldn’t enjoy the positive press, but perhaps the jersey purchases should stay on hold
Meh, I'm not into NFL jerseys...but I'm not gonna fault anyone for buying one with an ex-Longhorn players name on it. Sam many not have been the best QB to ever wear burnt orange, but that isnt entirely his fault. What he was is the type of player we expect all of them to be..ambassador for the brand from start to finish.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Sam - 218th pick

Brady - 199th pick

Coincidence Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic (I’m out of free articles)

I understand the “pump the brakes” mentality…but Sam can pull this off. I believe. First Longhorn QB in what feels like forever to have this kind of buzz and sports reporters saying he has a real shot to be the starter. Big test this weekend.

4-6 tonite another dual practice with the Panthers. Then they are off tomorrow until Sunday’s preseason game. I am jacked! I want to see what everyone is writing and talking about. The fact in essentially 12 practices, Sam is very much in the conversation is outstanding.   I know Wentz will be back at some point but I think Sam will beat out Eason for the starter role. Wentz cannot stay healthy and while I have nothing against him Sam got drafted to the best possible team. And as it turns out, he wasn’t a throw away pick—the scouts and coaches really wanted him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We all know deep down that he can beat out Carson Wentz for the job. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

He won't have to beat out Wentz. Wentz is gonna Wentz, and then it'll be the backup's job, whoever that is.

(Hint: it will be Sam)

And my brain will explode. Just kidding. Colts have a rough regular season schedule. The first 6 games are not easy. What’s cool is the Colts/Panthers game is the only one scheduled for Sunday. Two and half weeks ago barely a mention of Sam on google/Twitter and now articles out the ass. Can’t wait to see what happens. 🤘🏼

• Like 1