Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 9/1/2018 at 3:37 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Kid has guts but makes way too many STUPID mistakes....Ridiculous that this University cannot find a quality QB.

This here.  If Sam were a soldier, he’d heroically jump on a hand grenade, die absorbing the explosion and save the lives of his entire platoon — after first accidentally pulling the pin while fucking around in the barracks trying to learn how to juggle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s not that he’s a fucking moron when the ball is in play. Well, it is that, but it’s also that when he’s had time to digest what happened, he still isn’t aware he has 2 plays to get a 1st down.

I don’t know if he’s been coached on this and still doesn’t understand or he’s never been coached on this. Either way, we are fucked, cause he’s the anointed one. 

Edited by bschoolprof

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I don’t know if he’s been coached on this and still doesn’t understand or he’s never been coached on this. Either way, we are fucked, cause he’s the anointed one. 

He’s just borderline retarded. If he were a black kid from east Texas that could barely form a sentence we wouldn’t be scratching our heads trying to figure this one out. It’s the white westlake thing throwing everybody for a loop.

Sam is a sophomore and really, should be sitting.  If we had a healthy qb system, a Junior with more experience would be playing. The coaches misused Sam as well.  If he's a mobile qb that enjoys running, play to his strengths or play another.  The game definitely hasn't slowed down for him.

As it is, expect transfers.  Others are sitting behind someone that is still learning and hasn't been in the system all that much longer.   If I'm Shane, I transfer so I can play somewhere else without losing any more eligibility. He'd do well at Tulsa or elsewhere but if he stays, he's done.  

F'k Herman for not preparing these guys.  If he can turn this season around--great, but he squarely earned this loss.  

37 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I really don't think you need to be coached on this.  Hell, half of this place hasn't even played football at any level and understands this.

13 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Sam is a sophomore and really, should be sitting.  If we had a healthy qb system, a Junior with more experience would be playing. The coaches misused Sam as well.  If he's a mobile qb that enjoys running, play to his strengths or play another.  The game definitely hasn't slowed down for him.

As it is, expect transfers.  Others are sitting behind someone that is still learning and hasn't been in the system all that much longer.   If I'm Shane, I transfer so I can play somewhere else without losing any more eligibility. He'd do well at Tulsa or elsewhere but if he stays, he's done.  

F'k Herman for not preparing these guys.  If he can turn this season around--great, but he squarely earned this loss.  

Sitting won't really help Sam, at least not to be a legit Big 12 QB, which is what we need.  He's inaccurate, slow, and non clutch.  Sitting on the bench will not fix that.

2 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I really don't think you need to be coached on this.  

I am Sam does apparently.  

34 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Someone tell Georgia, Alabama, and USC about their unhealthy QB systems. 

59 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He’s just borderline retarded. If he were a black kid from east Texas that could barely form a sentence we wouldn’t be scratching our heads trying to figure this one out. It’s the white westlake thing throwing everybody for a loop.

The posters who are scratching their heads, trying to figure this out are a small minority.  This has nothing to do with race.  We've probably passed on as many good Westlake players as we have signed bad ones, and .500 is above where we are on overall evaluations.

30 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Someone tell Georgia, Alabama, and USC about their unhealthy QB systems. 

What has USC won? Didn't we almost beat them with a Sam last year and a bad offensive line.   And let's forget about Bama and Georgia's offensive lines and running backs since we're doing comparisons here because they probably don't ease any pressure off the qb.  And pretty sure their defenses don't help their offenses at all.  Otherwise, great analogy.  

Edited by Mdhorn

26 minutes ago, markstanco said:
23 hours ago, alphahorn said:
Sam's career at Texas better have ended yesterday.  The next time I want to hear his name better be transfer related.  If Shane gets hurt this year, then give the reigns to Rising 

Well, dont turn the TV on this Saturday then, because he is starting.

i heard him say that, just can't believe it.  we'll see.  

7 hours ago, GRHorn said:

That’s not a good point.  You want QB continuity.  You want an unquestioned leader. 

That’s something that’s practiced at all levels of football. 

Could it be a case of just needing to replace the quarterbacks coach..? Hiring away an elite qb coach could make a difference for someone like Ehlinger...

So, Sam's the better runner; Shane's the better passer--or so we've been told. Herman anointed Sam as the starter and apparently intends to avoid putting him at risk by not calling too many designed QB runs. On the few zone read plays I saw against Maryland it looked like Sam had been instructed to hand off, no matter what the read told him. After watching Sam's mediocracy, I don't see a glaring need to handle him with kid gloves. If we're going to play Sam, turn him loose and let him do what we've been led to believe he does best. In most of our minds, there's not much difference between Sam and Shane anyway, so why not let Sam play to his strengths? Shane's waiting in the wings; turn Sam loose.

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:
7 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:
It’s funny how quickly Surly jumps from one QB train to another. If Herman would have started Shane, we’d have lost our shit.

What a silly comment. If Shane would have lost in the same manner as sam, which fan base wouldnt? If Shane would have won, why attack him?

I did start with, it’s funny.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was a good game for him. He didn't make many mental mistakes that cost the the team. But the issues were still there inaccuracy on throws, holding onto ball too long, not throwing receivers open. What I did like is when it was time for him to take off and run he did so decisively. Honestly was really impressed with our OL and so happy we got the win. That was a huge momentum boost for us heading into conference play. 

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Sam Ehlinger 15/33 223 6.8 2 0 51.4

14 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Last night was a good game for him. He didn't make many mental mistakes that cost the the team. But the issues were still there inaccuracy on throws, holding onto ball too long, not throwing receivers open. What I did like is when it was time for him to take off and run he did so decisively. Honestly was really impressed with our OL and so happy we got the win. That was a huge momentum boost for us heading into conference play. 

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Sam Ehlinger 15/33 223 6.8 2 0 51.4

Sam made several mental mistakes that nearly cost the game. He self sacked himself into a a safety,  threw 2 or 3 near interceptions that were ill advised and on multiple occasions audibled into trouble. Just because USC was too sorry to make us pay for them does not mean they did not happen. 

He did though do a better job of taking off instead of pressing the throw. Against USC athletes they were only 4 to 5 yards and against lesser defensive talent those will be nice plays if he can make those reads. He showed some progress but only some. He still has a lot of work to do or OU and TCU will take advantage. 

• Like 1

Sam still looks 50/50 at best throwing past 15 yards against AIR. He did improve last night, but we switch QBs last night and Duvernay has 3 TDs. Hell on Colin Johnson’s first catch of the game Dev had 3 steps on his man with nothing but the end zone beyond. 

Needs to throw the ball away instead of the sacks, but learned during the game. 

He is still a step or two late letting the ball go often throwing our receivers into defenders and rarely hitting guys in stride on anything but a go. 

He’s got a long way to go, and the lack of accuracy may mean he never gets there. 

• Like 2

I found herman’s Post game presser answer about why he subbed everywhere but at QB late in the game pretty telling. Basically said he didn’t want a QB coming in cold trying to handle snaps. If I’m Buechele, that statement makes pretty clear the level of confidence my head coach has in me. Chances are pretty strong he’s going to be called upon to carry this offense at some point...must be good knowing your coach has no confidence in your ability to even take a snap.

• Like 1

Good on Sam for winning the gimme (in the sense that the entire team carried itself to victory).  I hope it didn't ossify him as the starter because the mistakes and inaccuracy are disconcerting.

No idea what the coaches saw in the camp and practice battles.  Wish Shane would have a few series to show off.

• Like 1

Are we talking about the same indecisive Shane, who holds onto the ball too long, self sacks, doesn't see open receivers, and we came to conclusion last season that his deep ball wasn't nearly as accurate as the legend tells us?   That Shane Buechele?  We want to replace Sam with him for a few series to see what he can do?   Hard pass...

On edit...I left out gets injured nearly every game.....still hard pass.......

Edited by HuntinHorn
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I found herman’s Post game presser answer about why he subbed everywhere but at QB late in the game pretty telling. Basically said he didn’t want a QB coming in cold trying to handle snaps. If I’m Buechele, that statement makes pretty clear the level of confidence my head coach has in me. Chances are pretty strong he’s going to be called upon to carry this offense at some point...must be good knowing your coach has no confidence in your ability to even take a snap.

Maybe what Herman wanted to t say was that Sam still needed a lot of reps to  prepare for TCU. Maybe he thought that would be showing a lack of confidence in his starter.

He avoided the big mistake especially in the 4th but it wasn't close so there wasn't pressure on him. That defensive stand after Young fumbled and subsequent Block 6 ensured we wouldn't see 4th quarter killer turnover machine Sam. 

15-33 not good but he did throw  a lot more deep than usual so not as bad as it appears since he hit several of the deep passes. 

Have to see him not fuck up some close games down the stretch before I say he has a shot to be successful here,  but it was a pretty good bounce back from two horrible games. 

Are we talking about the same indecisive Shane, who holds onto the ball too long, self sacks, doesn't see open receivers, and we came to conclusion last season that his deep ball wasn't nearly as accurate as the legend tells us?   That Shane Buechele?  We want to replace Sam with him for a few series to see what he can do?   Hard pass...
On edit...I left out gets injured nearly every game.....still hard pass.......

Shane has been in multiple offenses, multiple coaches, and always behind a horrible line. Sam self sacks and tends to give opportunities away including last night when he gifted another interception again, but it was dropped.

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Shane has been in multiple offenses, multiple coaches, and always behind a horrible line. Sam self sacks and tends to give opportunities away including last night when he gifted another interception again, but it was dropped.

Both of your descriptions can be true..... nothing better than to be the backup QB when Texas isn't good.  We still have folks who think Heard should be a QB.  Aside:  I actually now agree with them, because he's been a WR for 3 years and still is horrible.  Make him a backup 3rd QB.  Sam is still maddeningly inconsistent but he played pretty well last night except for the safety which wasn't called.  He has a Heard problem where he breaks the pocket and if his eyes are up, he will go right 95% of the time and he's always a hair late in his reads but perhaps with game reps he can start to process quicker.  He ran the ball well, avoided really bad turnovers, and he got better as the game went on..... I have nothing against Shane, but Sam did nothing to warrant losing his job last night.  He played well for a true Soph.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

He avoided the big mistake especially in the 4th but it wasn't close so there wasn't pressure on him. That defensive stand after Young fumbled and subsequent Block 6 ensured we wouldn't see 4th quarter killer turnover machine Sam. 

15-33 not good but he did throw  a lot more deep than usual so not as bad as it appears since he hit several of the deep passes. 

Have to see him not fuck up some close games down the stretch before I say he has a shot to be successful here,  but it was a pretty good bounce back from two horrible games. 

This is where I stand. Those deep throws are low percentage, and he converted quite a few of them but also left nearly a handful that should've been TD's. He's just a sophomore, he will improve. 

Against OU/TCU/ISU he will have to check down or take off a lot more. Those teams will take away the deep pass and Sam still needs to show that he can adjust to the cloud coverage. Otherwise it was a good game by him, and attacking deep opened up our run game a little. It will come in handy against OU who seemed incapable of stopping ISU's tall receivers. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are redshirting Shane. He’ll have 2 years of eligibility wherever he goes next year.

25 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sam doesn't self sack near as much as Shane does.  Shane drops his head, runs into an olineman's back and falls down.    Sam at least gets positive yards most of the time when he has to run and stays looking down field.  Not to mention Shane gets hurt when the winds blows too hard

Edited by HuntinHorn

4 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are redshirting Shane. He’ll have 2 years of eligibility wherever he goes next year.

That might be the plan. But your starter has finished exactly one season un-injured since he was a sophomore in HS and has missed 1/3rd of his games as a starter due to injury in that same time. Might be a good idea to get the backup some snaps.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think Herman just told us that he's not going to use Buechele in blowouts in case he needs him later in the year. I think Buechele is preserving a shirt to be a 2 year grad transfer, and Herman is respecting that without making a big issue out of it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I think Herman just told us that he's not going to use Buechele in blowouts in case he needs him later in the year. I think Buechele is preserving a shirt to be a 2 year grad transfer, and Herman is respecting that without making a big issue out of it.

So is the theory our actual backup is true freshman with our starter injury prone? The nightmare won’t end.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So is the theory our actual backup is true freshman with our starter injury prone? The nightmare won’t end.

No, but Buechele can play in 4 games and shirt. That's why I believe he didn't play last to save 4 games to play in case Sam gets hurt. Otherwise, it would be down to 3 games to potentially fill-in for nothing other than to hand the ball off to a RB.

• Like 1