Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

No, but Buechele can play in 4 games and shirt. That's why I believe he didn't play last to save 4 games to play in case Sam gets hurt. Otherwise, it would be down to 3 games to potentially fill-in for nothing other than to hand the ball off to a RB.

Ah gotcha. 

So is the theory our actual backup is true freshman with our starter injury prone? The nightmare won’t end.
I'm sure the staff would turn to Buchele would if Sam were hurt. I'm sure he would put in 100 percent effort if called upon.

Obviously we're not privy to Buchele's thought process or conversations with coaches, but even if he hasn't discussed it with the staff, they can't be ignorant of the possibility. If the transfer thing comes to pass I'm sure he'll appreciate having an extra year instead of some garbage time PT.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'm sure the staff would turn to Buchele would if Sam were hurt. I'm sure he would put in 100 percent effort if called upon.

Obviously we're not privy to Buchele's thought process or conversations with coaches, but even if he hasn't discussed it with the staff, they can't be ignorant of the possibility. If the transfer thing comes to pass I'm sure he'll appreciate having an extra year instead of some garbage time PT.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not that he needs it, but it's also 2 years if scholarship to complete a grad degree versus only 1. Might not matter to Buechele, but it definitely would matter to a lot of kids and shows recruits that the staff has the kids' best interests in mind.

3 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

Sam doesn't self sack near as much as Shane does.  Shane drops his head, runs into an olineman's back and falls down.    Sam at least gets positive yards most of the time when he has to run and stays looking down field.  Not to mention Shane gets hurt when the winds blows too hard

Agree.  Sam actually runs himself out of trouble or at least enough to heave the ball out of bound a lot.  Shane just takes big sacks. 

Good game by Sam.  His percentage sucked because they were throwing deep a lot, but he didn't get picked and ended up stretching the defense so it's all good.

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Agree.  Sam actually runs himself out of trouble or at least enough to heave the ball out of bound a lot.  Shane just takes big sacks. 

Good game by Sam.  His percentage sucked because they were throwing deep a lot, but he didn't get picked and ended up stretching the defense so it's all good.

He hit Duvernay and Heard on the numbers on a couple of perfect strikes deep, too. And Collin Johnson and LJH dropped a couple of catchable balls. His percentage should've been better (although Joshua Moore bailed his ass out on that late 3Q touchdown).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

Sam doesn't self sack near as much as Shane does.  Shane drops his head, runs into an olineman's back and falls down.    Sam at least gets positive yards most of the time when he has to run and stays looking down field.  Not to mention Shane gets hurt when the winds blows too hard

Shane has never had as good as a line as we have had now.  Nor did he run into the back of of his linemen and take himself out losing yards in the Maryland game.  I seem to recall Sam doing just that.   I am happy we have Sam on our team Mrs. Ellinger.  He has some positives, but the toss to the USC defender at the half was typical for him.   

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Shane has never had as good as a line as we have had now.  Nor did he run into the back of of his linemen and take himself out losing yards in the Maryland game.  I seem to recall Sam doing just that.   I am happy we have Sam on our team Mrs. Ellinger.  He has some positives, but the toss to the USC defender at the half was typical for him.   

Yep.  Shane only really started self-sacking when the line went to hell and he was running for his life.  Under those circumstances, Sam has the potential to be or is the better QB.  With a modicum of protection, and asking the QB to stand in the pocket that doesn't immediately collapse, I think Shane has shown to be the better option.  The one caveat is whether last year gave him such PTSD that he's not as carefree as he once was.

• Like 1

Shane is no Sam, Steve.. he’s fine with the clipboard..... if he doesn’t get injured holding it.

But Surly wouldn’t be Surly without folks calling for the backup to start.

Shane (I'm theorizing, he may be limited now), gives us a better chance to exploit the middle of the field.  Something I'd gladly exchange for Sam's better deep ball.  

Interesting that the opening series Sam hit Colin over the middle for a big gain....and LJH as well during the game, but we rarely went back to it. Is that Sam or Beck’s doing?

Sam had a rough start to the game. Probably the first 15 to 20 minutes of official game time before he started to seem like the game had slowed down for him.

I like the guy, but a friend who played a bit at Texas before transferring to play at SMU many moons ago said it best when he said "Texas has a FB playing QB." I had never thought of that before, but my friend is probably right.

I hope that we get Cameron Rising into at least 3 games this year (before the bowl game) to get a look at what he can do. I feel like he is our future if we have any intention of being a balanced team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

He completed less then 50% of his passing and still throws very off over 15 yards...  sorry if I’m not sold on him beating a good team.  

This. And while a good runner, he is more of a “first down” runner than an explosive one. I think Ds are aware of the running qb but don’t fear him creating explosive plays with his feet. Some seem content to let him run and cover everything else. 

Besides the over 15yard throws, his ball placement on 15 and under is terrible. Rarely throwing to the correct shoulder or hits the receiver in stride. Too often our WRs have to make an acrobatic catch on what should be routine, ending any YAC possibilities especially when he throws at their feet. 

His on the run throw to LJH where he hit him in stride on the cross was his

most impressive throw all year (rolling right). We see a lack of explosive plays with the WR because they often must stop or redirect to catch the pass (worked in LJH’s favor on the long TD run). 

It is very telling watching in person, Defenses do not respect his arm and put our WRs on islands with little help all day and we rarely exploit it. Dev beats one on one Constantly. 

• Like 2

A friend pointed this out to me when it happened but Sam plays better after taking a big hit. He was definitely at his best after the guy from USC tried to take his head off.

He's like a golfer who plays better 6 beers in. Mensa just needs to have GJ or someone rough him up before the game starts, knock those cobwebs loose.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I think the USC team was also very mentally weak.  They started out strong, but after that blown safety call and subsequent blown possessions they looked tired and slow.  They started making tons of mistakes and their defense was gassed by the 3rd quarter.  It was gravy after that. 

Texas capitalized, similar to the Mizzou bowl game last year.  USC also gave Texas a HUGE runway to finally get going.  Better teams aren't going to give you that.  I get younger teams taking what the defense gives you.  Problems are when they don't "give" you anything and you have to take it.  We can't impose our will on offense.  We haven't for the better part of a decade.  We don't run an offense.  We run plays.  There's a difference.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Sam had a rough start to the game. Probably the first 15 to 20 minutes of official game time before he started to seem like the game had slowed down for him.

I like the guy, but a friend who played a bit at Texas before transferring to play at SMU many moons ago said it best when he said "Texas has a FB playing QB." I had never thought of that before, but my friend is probably right.

I hope that we get Cameron Rising into at least 3 games this year (before the bowl game) to get a look at what he can do. I feel like he is our future if we have any intention of being a balanced team.

I think you need to rewatch the game. Literally the opposite happened. Sam started off hot then cooled. 

39 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

A friend pointed this out to me when it happened but Sam plays better after taking a big hit. He was definitely at his best after the guy from USC tried to take his head off.

He's like a golfer who plays better 6 beers in. Mensa just needs to have GJ or someone rough him up before the game starts, knock those cobwebs loose.

This occurred to me, also.  Colt was that way.

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

He's tight.  Tense.  Uptight (like your mom...)

Seriously, that's on the coach.  We saw it with Mack @ the RRS games.  These coaches are all under a tremendous amount of pressure.  It's those that can still execute and get their kids ready to perform that succeed.  If they can't compartmentalize their anxiety, it bleeds through on the sidelines (like we saw with Charlie.  Dude looked like he was going to stroke out a few times).

On 9/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, IDIOTsavant said:

I think Herman just told us that he's not going to use Buechele in blowouts in case he needs him later in the year. I think Buechele is preserving a shirt to be a 2 year grad transfer, and Herman is respecting that without making a big issue out of it.

Herman will do anything to avoid a hint of a QB controversy. He learned that from Brown.

He chose Sam. Last thing he wants is to have Shane come in and lead the team to a few TDs.

Edited by pacman

20 minutes ago, pacman said:

Herman will do anything to avoid a hint of a QB controversy. He learned that from Brown.

He chose Sam. Last thing he wants is to have Shane come in and lead the team to a few TDs.

I don’t agree with everything Herman does but think you’re 100% full of shit here.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

Actually, I think he is spot on.  

We’ve seen Shane in action. It’s not like the dude suddenly became a scary threat on his feet, is able to make every throw, or transformed his glass body to steel. 

This offense needs consistency and confidence. All that comes from repetition. Putting Shane in changes everything.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 1:27 PM, IDIOTsavant said:

No, but Buechele can play in 4 games and shirt. That's why I believe he didn't play last to save 4 games to play in case Sam gets hurt. Otherwise, it would be down to 3 games to potentially fill-in for nothing other than to hand the ball off to a RB.

Yep. Don't use him unless you have to because of injury. It's likely if Sam was to get injured and miss the rest of the year, Rising would probably be the guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If Shane is legit grad transferring he doesn't even want to go in at this point.  I get it, it's not his choice to play or not, but if the rumors are true, then he has at least a little checked out. 

Yep, his body language was awful during the Tulsa game, he looked a little more engaged with the team against USC.

2 hours ago, pacman said:

Or have him come in and completely shit the bed, which is equally as likely given what we know about Buechele. Then you benched your starting QB and gotten worse at the position. Herman made the decision to go with Sam and deal with the learning curve. I don't particular think Sam is All Big 12 caliber QB, but he's still better than Buechele for this offense.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We’ve seen Shane in action. It’s not like the dude suddenly became a scary threat on his feet, is able to make every throw, or transformed his glass body to steel. 

This offense needs consistency and confidence. All that comes from repetition. Putting Shane in changes everything.

Worth pointing out again it’s Sam who has spent more time on the sidelines injured throughout his career than Shane. Since Sam was a sophomore in HS, he’s only completed one full season injury-free.

we’ll need somebody to step up if Sam gets injured...I tend to believe the rumors regarding Shane’s transfer...there’s no way you aren’t getting your backup valuable snaps given Sam’s injury history. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Worth pointing out again it’s Sam who has spent more time on the sidelines injured throughout his career than Shane. Since Sam was a sophomore in HS, he’s only completed one full season injury-free.

we’ll need somebody to step up if Sam gets injured...I tend to believe the rumors regarding Shane’s transfer...there’s no way you aren’t getting your backup valuable snaps given Sam’s injury history. 

I agree they are basically equal in most aspects of the game (passing ability, decision making, durability, etc.) except running. As we’ve seen, the QB must be a legitimate threat to run the ball in this offense.

I too believe the transfer rumors which is one reason why I don’t think there would be any QB controversy. Shane is not the future here and everyone knows it. Think of the QB room next year. Shane doesn’t have a chance.

I tend to think we’ll see more QBs play as the year goes on but this stretch is so important, Sam will likely get all the work for consistency and confidence.

Sam is going to be really effective his junior and senior years in a mason randolph kind of way. Big running qb that is a decent passer.

He fits this offense perfectly. Bludgeon the defense into submission. I think 2020 is going to be a special year if we can reload on the lines effectively, which means great roster management (recruiting, grad transfers, attrition, etc).

14 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Sam is going to be really effective his junior and senior years in a mason randolph kind of way. Big running qb that is a decent passer.

He fits this offense perfectly. Bludgeon the defense into submission. I think 2020 is going to be a special year if we can reload on the lines effectively, which means great roster management (recruiting, grad transfers, attrition, etc).

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Or have him come in and completely shit the bed, which is equally as likely given what we know about Buechele. Then you benched your starting QB and gotten worse at the position. Herman made the decision to go with Sam and deal with the learning curve. I don't particular think Sam is All Big 12 caliber QB, but he's still better than Buechele for this offense.

I don't disagree here either. You can certainly make the argument we haven't been ahead of any team ENOUGH to put backups in but, the most harm given our fanbase history, is to have Shane get lucky and do well in meaningless minutes. I think that weighs on Herman's mind more than anything.

You seem to be under the impression there is any coherent approach to an offensive system here. I haven't seen anything suggesting we have a "this offense". We have a collection of plays that seem to get run haphazardly in the past three games. That's the only way to describe an offense that puts both Porter and Beck (out wide and in the slot no less) on the field in obvious passing downs. Though, I guess you could argue we need a running QB though it didn't really appear that way in the MD game.

Edited by pacman

30 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I agree they are basically equal in most aspects of the game (passing ability, decision making, durability, etc.) except running. As we’ve seen, the QB must be a legitimate threat to run the ball in this offense.

I too believe the transfer rumors which is one reason why I don’t think there would be any QB controversy. Shane is not the future here and everyone knows it. Think of the QB room next year. Shane doesn’t have a chance.

I tend to think we’ll see more QBs play as the year goes on but this stretch is so important, Sam will likely get all the work for consistency and confidence.

that is definitely not true.

22 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

So what you're saying is that your handle is NOT from We're the Millers?

sam does not anticipate routes well.  he doesn't throw anyone open.  i think this is why he nevers throw in the middle of the field.  he throws after receivers have made their cuts and are open.  this means he's often late on this throws.  i haven't seen this improving at all.  

watch the end of buechelle's freshman year.  our offense became stagnant because he had the same issues that sam is having.  dc's knew what his limitations were and schemed to maximize against them.  not saying that buechelle has gotten better, we don't know because we haven't seen him this year.  but we sure know that sam hasn't progressed beyond beuchelle's freshman passing capabilities.

ou and tcu dc's have to like what they see from sam.  only have to scheme to defend the sidelines.

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

sam does not anticipate routes well.  he doesn't throw anyone open.  i think this is why he nevers throw in the middle of the field.  he throws after receivers have made their cuts and are open.  this means he's often late on this throws.  i haven't seen this improving at all.  

watch the end of buechelle's freshman year.  our offense became stagnant because he had the same issues that sam is having.  dc's knew what his limitations were and schemed to maximize against them.  not saying that buechelle has gotten better, we don't know because we haven't seen him this year.  but we sure know that sam hasn't progressed beyond beuchelle's freshman passing capabilities.

ou and tcu dc's have to like what they see from sam.  only have to scheme to defend the sidelines.

Just want to add that the middle of the field isn't being thrown in large part because roughly 90% of the routes have no one going over the middle. Either they don't trust Ehlinger to make those throws, or they're working with the Greg Davis philosophy of "I like to play offense like I have a vagina".

Also, anyone crowing right now about Ehlinger doing anything other than showing up and being positively average this past Saturday are either Westlake honks or clueless about the game. I'd like to think that Ehlinger can continue the relatively idiot-free play this Saturday against TCU, but I feel pretty certain that Patterson and crew are fucking cackling right now about how many looks they're going to give Ehlinger in order to coax a multitude of baffling turnovers. 

I think people are forgetting that Shane put up some fairly gaudy stats as a freshman, eclipsing Colt's yardage record.  Yes, people figured out our offense and Shane, and I think he got banged up in a way that affected his throwing.

Still and all, I am not sure the current or any past version of Ehlinger, even behind a rock-solid line, is capable of putting up those kind of numbers.  2,958yds/21TD/11INT.

And, we don't know for sure that Buechele, in his current mental state, is capable of reproducing those numbers, particularly in this jacked up offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think people are forgetting that Shane put up some fairly gaudy stats as a freshman, eclipsing Colt's yardage record.  Yes, people figured out our offense and Shane, and I think he got banged up in a way that affected his throwing.

Still and all, I am not sure the current or any past version of Ehlinger, even behind a rock-solid line, is capable of putting up those kind of numbers.  2,958yds/21TD/11INT.

And, we don't know for sure that Buechele, in his current mental state, is capable of reproducing those numbers, particularly in this jacked up offense.

It’s not really fair to compare any QB stats between the two offenses. I do remember not throwing to the middle of the field in Giblet’s system and we all assumed it to be because it was Shane’s weakness.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just want to add that the middle of the field isn't being thrown in large part because roughly 90% of the routes have no one going over the middle. Either they don't trust Ehlinger to make those throws, or they're working with the Greg Davis philosophy of "I like to play offense like I have a vagina".

Also, anyone crowing right now about Ehlinger doing anything other than showing up and being positively average this past Saturday are either Westlake honks or clueless about the game. I'd like to think that Ehlinger can continue the relatively idiot-free play this Saturday against TCU, but I feel pretty certain that Patterson and crew are fucking cackling right now about how many looks they're going to give Ehlinger in order to coax a multitude of baffling turnovers. 

agreed.  sam is going to have do MUCH better than 15  or whatever for 33 against tcu.  patterson is going to sit on the flat and dink routes, and dare us to beat him by running the ball or throwing over the middle.  basically the same shit he's done since herpe derp.

baby steps i guess.  in the 4th qt against tulsa, they didn't let sam throw downfield at all.  it was all flats and screens.  no way we beat tcu or ou with that chicken shit playcalling or mediocre qb play.

Edited by crash_davis

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

agreed.  sam is going to have do MUCH better than 15  or whatever for 33 against tcu.  patterson is going to sit on the flat and dink routes, and dare us to beat him by running the ball or throwing over the middle.  basically the same shit he's done since herpe derp.

baby steps i guess.  in the 4th qt against tulsa, they didn't let sam throw downfield at all.  it was all flats and screens.  no way we beat tcu or ou with that chicken shit playcalling or mediocre qb play.

I hope they do, and i hope we run the ball up the middle until the safeties creep up...