Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Actually though this entire thread is ridiculous. I just re-watched the 2nd half of the USC game. For a true sophomore under the big lights Ehlinger was phenomenal. Composed, in control, making calls at the line. Yeah he isn't throwing receivers open like Dan Marino but that's a bit much to ask right now.

As long as he keeps showing improvement, this is the best we've looked at QB in a long time. 

Hook 'em and double fuck TCU 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

There won’t be any controversy. He’ll start for the next 2.75 years when healthy. 

Nice to see you back on this thread after Sam had a good game against a shitty team. You were nowhere to be found after his Maryland performance. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Nice to see you back on this thread after Sam had a good game against a shitty team. You were nowhere to be found after his Maryland performance. 

Sure I was. Not happy and critical of him. 

Ehlinger on 3rd and 4th down against USC (through 3Q, the 4Q was essentially garbage time as Texas was up 23 points and USC never threatened in UT's territory).

9-14, 64% conversion rate on 3rd downs

1-1, on 4th down.

6-8-114-1 passing

7-27 rushing

Two of the failed conversions was a pass batted down at the LOS, the WR would have converted otherwise and Collin Johnson dropped a ball right in his hands beyond the sticks.

I know everyone was complaining about his 15-33, but he really had a decent game when it mattered.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Sam is going to be really effective his junior and senior years in a mason randolph kind of way. Big running qb that is a decent passer.

He fits this offense perfectly. Bludgeon the defense into submission. I think 2020 is going to be a special year if we can reload on the lines effectively, which means great roster management (recruiting, grad transfers, attrition, etc).

Mason Rudolph threw for nearly 5,000 yards at a 65% completion rate his senior year. Ehlinger might not throw for 5,000 yards in his career.

He has gotten better at commanding the offense. His needs to work on his accuracy and decision making. Holds on to the ball too long.

I think he is at his best when the coaches just let him play instead of hand cuffing him. Maryland..WTF was that? He will continue to get better but I don't think he will set the football world on fire. He is David Ash esque.

Edited by RowdyVic

48 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

A better question is who on the roster right now gives us the best chance to beat TCU.

nah. there's all sort of back and forth in here about sam and shane, but if in the end we can all agree that either one is at best a middle-of-the-pack QB who is waaaaay behind the best in the league, then does it matter? We've chosen Sam, warts and all, and that's that. He's not going anywhere in favor of Shane Buechele any time soon. He's totally mediocre and he shouldn't inspire a ton of confidence in anyone, but he's the guy. I'd rather spend time hoping that we put him in a position to succeed than worrying about the totally mediocre QB behind him who hasn't been able to beat out Ehlinger for two straight years. 

Edited by Goo Punch

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Actually though this entire thread is ridiculous. I just re-watched the 2nd half of the USC game. For a true sophomore under the big lights Ehlinger was phenomenal. Composed, in control, making calls at the line. Yeah he isn't throwing receivers open like Dan Marino but that's a bit much to ask right now.

As long as he keeps showing improvement, this is the best we've looked at QB in a long time. 

You sound like a fucking idiot when you use a word like “phenomenal” to describe Ehlinger’s play on Saturday. It is hard to take you seriously as a poster after reading that. 

9 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Sure I was. Not happy and critical of him. 

The premise that Sam Ehlinger is good enough to hold off competition from legitimate talent, while Tom Herman fights for a third and/or fourth year in part due to Ehlinger costing him 3-4 games per year is the kind of hawt take I’d expect from the likes of you. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not throwing receivers open is a huge deal and is the difference between adequate QBs and good QBs and it has an even bigger impact on the offense overall. QBs who can't do that cause themselves to be pressured more and that's an especially big deal for Ehlinger because he frequently makes terrible decisions once he decides to leave the pocket. It's also not a skill that simply develops over 4 years like other football skills, although it does get better for some guys. More frequently, though, a guy who doesn't have that anticipation simply never develops it. We will see with Ehlinger, but basically every single pass he throws is later than it should be. Even the ones that work out like the TDs to Humphrey and Moore against USC are at least a little late. Also, Dan Marino is weird to use as an example of that skill. Marino didn't have to do that because he had a lightning quick release (Ehlinger's is average at best) and a cannon for an arm. He more than basically any QB in history could afford to wait to make sure that the receiver was open and he frequently did.

Also, there's zero chance that Ehlinger is better than non-concussed David Ash, but he's probably the best we've had since Ash.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not throwing receivers open is a huge deal and is the difference between adequate QBs and good QBs and it has an even bigger impact on the offense overall. QBs who can't do that cause themselves to be pressured more and that's an especially big deal for Ehlinger because he frequently makes terrible decisions once he decides to leave the pocket. It's also not a skill that simply develops over 4 years like other football skills, although it does get better for some guys. More frequently, though, a guy who doesn't have that anticipation simply never develops it. We will see with Ehlinger, but basically every single pass he throws is later than it should be. Even the ones that work out like the TDs to Humphrey and Moore against USC are at least a little late. Also, Dan Marino is weird to use as an example of that skill. Marino didn't have to do that because he had a lightning quick release (Ehlinger's is average at best) and a cannon for an arm. He more than basically any QB in history could afford to wait to make sure that the receiver was open and he frequently did.

Also, there's zero chance that Ehlinger is better than non-concussed David Ash, but he's probably the best we've had since Ash.

So what you're saying is Sam Ehlinger is NOT Dan Marino?  OH GOD WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!!!  

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The premise that Sam Ehlinger is good enough to hold off competition from legitimate talent, while Tom Herman fights for a third and/or fourth year in part due to Ehlinger costing him 3-4 games per year is the kind of hawt take I’d expect from the likes of you. 

So let’s see: 1) at some point you had an inkling that Herman was fighting for a 3rd year after Maryland ; 2) you consider Shane Buechele as “legitimate talent”; and 3) you failed to grasp that that my entire point was not extolling the greatness of Sam, but rather saying Shane isn’t the answer. Good work pal. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You sound like a fucking idiot when you use a word like “phenomenal” to describe Ehlinger’s play on Saturday. It is hard to take you seriously as a poster after reading that. 

Just jump.

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He has been throwing a pretty ball, and he's been more accurate. All it takes is repetition. The dude must've been throwing guys open in 7-on-7 because you only get 4 sec to throw.

23 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

So let’s see: 1) at some point you had an inkling that Herman was fighting for a 3rd year after Maryland ; 2) you consider Shane Buechele as “legitimate talent”; and 3) you failed to grasp that that my entire point was not extolling the greatness of Sam, but rather saying Shane isn’t the answer. Good work pal. 

You just solidified him as the starter for the next 2.75 years. Actually, let’s back up...have you been drinking this morning?

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You just solidified him as the starter for the next 2.75 years. Actually, let’s back up...have you been drinking this morning?

When healthy. Yeah, I made the assertion that he would start over unknown freshmen / seniors in high school. I’m totally hammered. 

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What a wasted QB class.  We had to scramble to even end up with him.  That New Mexico kid and Locksley were our choices.  Who were the in state guys that year?  Murray and?

Jarrett Stidham, Kyler Murray, Quentin Dormady, Chason Virgil, Ben Hicks

Those were the guys who made the Texas Top 100 list.

17 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He has been throwing a pretty ball, and he's been more accurate. All it takes is repetition. The dude must've been throwing guys open in 7-on-7 because you only get 4 sec to throw.

Four seconds? That's a lifetime in the pocket in a real football game. Most sacks happen before 3 seconds are up.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

nah. there's all sort of back and forth in here about sam and shane, but if in the end we can all agree that either one is at best a middle-of-the-pack QB who is waaaaay behind the best in the league, then does it matter?

I've felt this way since early last year.  I think Shane is better but neither is nearly good enough to win the conference before they use up their eligibility.  Maybe one could be a caretaker type if the rest of the team was operating at a high level.

Edited by WBT

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Four seconds? That's a lifetime in the pocket in a real football game. Most sacks happen before 3 seconds are up.

Yeah have you ever seen/played 7 on 7? As soon as you take the ball off the stand the clock starts, you have 4 sec to get rid of the ball or it's a "sack".

Just now, WBT said:

I've felt this way since early last year.  I think Shane is better but neither is nearly good enough to win the conference before they use up their eligibility.  Maybe they could be a caretaker type if the rest of the team was operating at a high level.

How is Shane better? 

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yeah have you ever seen/played 7 on 7? As soon as you take the ball off the stand the clock starts, you have 4 sec to get rid of the ball or it's a "sack".

PFF keeps pro stats on 'Time to Throw' - they might keep stats for college but I don't have an account.

Huckleberry is right - 4 seconds is an eternity for a QB

From the 2012 NFL season:

Rank Name Team Drop backs To Throw
1  Russell Wilson SEA 274 3.14
2  Michael Vick PHI 366 3.12
3  Cam Newton CAR 266 3.04
4  Robert Griffin III WAS 309 3.01
5  Alex D. Smith SF 244 2.9
6  Andrew Luck IND 371 2.86
7  Kevin Kolb ARZ 217 2.84
8  Matt Cassel KC 260 2.82
9  Josh Freeman TB 274 2.79
10  Christian Ponder MIN 330 2.78
11  Aaron Rodgers GB 373 2.76
12  Tony Romo DAL 335 2.76
13  Jay Cutler CHI 278 2.74
14  Matt Ryan ATL 331 2.73
15  Ben Roethlisberger PIT 316 2.73
16  Brandon Weeden CLV 356 2.72
17  Philip Rivers SD 285 2.72
18  Matthew Stafford DET 369 2.71
19  Sam Bradford SL 278 2.71
20  Mark Sanchez NYJ 291 2.68
21  Drew Brees NO 357 2.67
22  Matt Schaub HST 260 2.67
23  John Skelton ARZ 187 2.64
24  Joe Flacco BLT 299 2.62
25  Eli Manning NYG 331 2.59
26  Andy Dalton CIN 315 2.59
27  Blaine Gabbert JAX 271 2.58
28  Carson Palmer OAK 347 2.57
29  Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 281 2.57
30  Ryan Tannehill MIA 261 2.57
31  Peyton Manning DEN 304 2.51
32  Matt Hasselbeck TEN 240 2.5
33  Tom Brady NE 335 2.49

24 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He really has not been throwing "a pretty ball", and he definitely hasn't been more accurate, as he's coming off a 15-33 performance.

• Like 1

Just now, Goo Punch said:

He really has not been throwing "a pretty ball", and he definitely hasn't been more accurate, as he's coming off a 15-33 performance.

I'm not going to defend Sam - because he most definitely isn't an 'accurate' QB - but its kind of bullshit to use a one game sample size and not provide any context.  There is a hell of a lot more than goes into it than just here are the attempts and here are the completions.  

1 minute ago, WBT said:

More accurate, doesn't make as many dumb decisions, more explosive runner when he gets into the open field

I won't really argue with your first point.

He doesn't make as many dumb decisions in terms of throwing where he shouldn't, but that's often because he makes no decision at all and just takes a sack, which is also dumb.

I've had Cancun vacations far more explosive than Shane is a runner, so I have no idea where that is coming from.  If you want to defend Shane vs Sam, running is not where you start. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

PFF keeps pro stats on 'Time to Throw' - they might keep stats for college but I don't have an account.

Huckleberry is right - 4 seconds is an eternity for a QB

From the 2012 NFL season:

Rank Name Team Drop backs To Throw
1  Russell Wilson SEA 274 3.14
2  Michael Vick PHI 366 3.12
3  Cam Newton CAR 266 3.04
4  Robert Griffin III WAS 309 3.01
5  Alex D. Smith SF 244 2.9
6  Andrew Luck IND 371 2.86
7  Kevin Kolb ARZ 217 2.84
8  Matt Cassel KC 260 2.82
9  Josh Freeman TB 274 2.79
10  Christian Ponder MIN 330 2.78
11  Aaron Rodgers GB 373 2.76
12  Tony Romo DAL 335 2.76
13  Jay Cutler CHI 278 2.74
14  Matt Ryan ATL 331 2.73
15  Ben Roethlisberger PIT 316 2.73
16  Brandon Weeden CLV 356 2.72
17  Philip Rivers SD 285 2.72
18  Matthew Stafford DET 369 2.71
19  Sam Bradford SL 278 2.71
20  Mark Sanchez NYJ 291 2.68
21  Drew Brees NO 357 2.67
22  Matt Schaub HST 260 2.67
23  John Skelton ARZ 187 2.64
24  Joe Flacco BLT 299 2.62
25  Eli Manning NYG 331 2.59
26  Andy Dalton CIN 315 2.59
27  Blaine Gabbert JAX 271 2.58
28  Carson Palmer OAK 347 2.57
29  Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 281 2.57
30  Ryan Tannehill MIA 261 2.57
31  Peyton Manning DEN 304 2.51
32  Matt Hasselbeck TEN 240 2.5
33  Tom Brady NE 335 2.49

I don't disagree but using NFL statistics is flawed.  It's a completely different game that has actual parity.