Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 hour ago, deft said:

None of that means squat if nfl doesn't know what it's doing when they pick players.....which is often. 

Bro they changed the rules where you can't hit QBs low. This dude is untouchable. Checkmate Koach Kool!

kyler-murray-1.jpg?w=2000

Heard a football coach talking about how critical it is for Bama to keep Tua healthy to win a Championship this year... avoid ankle, knee or shoulder injuries.

The same is especially true for Texas this year.  Ehlinger was hurt at Westlake, and has already had a concussion and shoulder injury as a Longhorn.  Texas success this year will be dictated by how healthy Hermanator can keep Sam Ehlinger.    Tom has to limit the number of hits on Sam to create the best chance to Win the 2019 B12 CCG.

Edited by LTtxfan

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard a football coach talking about how critical it is for Bama to keep Tua healthy to win a Championship this year... avoid ankle, knee or shoulder injuries.

The same is especially true for Texas this year.  Ehlinger was hurt at Westlake, and has already had a concussion and shoulder injury as a Longhorn.  Texas success this year will be dictated by how healthy Hermanator can keep Sam Ehlinger.    Tom has to limit the number of hits on Sam to create the best chance to Win the 2019 B12 CCG.

Agree.  Also, most teams are in the same position when it comes to a star QB.  

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sort of. If our OL can take a big jump, then we won’t need to use Sam as much, but this team is at it’s absolute best when Sam is running, and you can’t just go away from that. Our best chance to win the B12 and more is to use Sam heavily in the big games, so it’s not just strictly about limiting Sam’s hits.

Herman needs to strike a delicate balance between running him a lot in our tough matchups and conserving him against the lesser teams, but we’ll need our OL to better be able to impose its will in the traditional run game this year for that to happen.

Edited by Burt Macklin

I've always thought it was more dangerous to take a hit from the pass rush while looking downfield, versus a designed run. Mensa ball seems to call for getting ahead and taking the air out of the ball, and hopefully we'll be better at that...

Did this offense get a reputation for being prone to QB injury based only on the championship season at tOSU?

3 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I've always thought it was more dangerous to take a hit from the pass rush while looking downfield, versus a designed run. Mensa ball seems to call for getting ahead and taking the air out of the ball, and hopefully we'll be better at that...

Did this offense get a reputation for being prone to QB injury based only on the championship season at tOSU?

Greg Ward Jr. hurt his shoulder, too. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sort of. If our OL can take a big jump, then we won’t need to use Sam as much, but this team is at it’s absolute best when Sam is running, and you can’t just go away from that. Our best chance to win the B12 and more is to use Sam heavily in the big games, so it’s not just strictly about limiting Sam’s hits.

Herman needs to strike a delicate balance between running him a lot in our tough matchups and conserving him against the lesser teams, but we’ll need our OL to better be able to impose its will in the traditional run game this year for that to happen.

We did this with VY in 2005.  He probably could have run for 2000 yards and 25 touchdowns on that team to leave no doubt for the Heisman if he had a coach like Urban Meyer who would have let him run wild.  But Mack pretty wisely limited his carries and hits.  

20-1 is a damned good payday. Does Sam have a chance? Yes, but it would be a team award. If he leads us to 13-0, he gets it unless Tua and/or Trevor does likewise, and may get it even then... but I think it takes the unbeaten season for him.

Frankly, betting the crazy lines on Bama-0U and Texas-Georgia last bowl season was a much better wager.

Just now I opened this thread on the first page which began right after the Maryland game last year... boy have some things changed. 

Oooh hot take alert! Did you guys know that we were hard on Sam 2 years ago?! It’s true, just read the first pages of this very thread!
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We already did this a few weeks back. Now isn’t the time for more shaming. Now we prepare for the slaughter.

No shaming going on. I'm new around here, and just saw this thread for the first time last night. I found it amusing to see how we all acted after that game (myself included), and how far Sam has come. Preparing for the slaughter is all that has been on my mind for the past month, I can't wait.

• Like 1

PFF Ranks all 130 College QB's:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019

6. TEXAS: SAM EHLINGER

Ehlinger leads all returning Big 12 quarterbacks with his 113.5 passer rating from a clean pocket, one of the more stable metrics when looking at quarterback progression from year to year. It’s likely that his third season in Austin should be his best yet and once again set the PFF College record for single-season grade from a Texas quarterback even higher. His 19:2 touchdown-to-interception ratio from a clean pocket is one of the country’s best and he’s been no slouch when the opposition has sent extra rushers on a blitz, seeing a 100.5 passer rating on such passes. He can handle what the defense shows him and is ready to take the next step in an already remarkable career to date.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, Tex Long said:

20-1 is a damned good payday. Does Sam have a chance? Yes, but it would be a team award. If he leads us to 13-0, he gets it unless Tua and/or Trevor does likewise, and may get it even then... but I think it takes the unbeaten season for him.

Frankly, betting the crazy lines on Bama-0U and Texas-Georgia last bowl season was a much better wager.

I think it was getting pumped pretty hard at 20-1 because last I checked it's down to 15-1. 

Personally I don't think it requires an undefeated season - the Heisman rarely does for someone to be at least in contention. There's a universe where Sam goes for 50 TDs and 4,500 total yards and gets his hat in the ring even if Texas is 12-1 or 11-2. 

(and no that isn't my prediction for this season - just making the point you have to account for nutty seasons like that when oddsmaking)

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it was getting pumped pretty hard at 20-1 because last I checked it's down to 15-1. 

Personally I don't think it requires an undefeated season - the Heisman rarely does for someone to be at least in contention. There's a universe where Sam goes for 50 TDs and 4,500 total yards and gets his hat in the ring even if Texas is 12-1 or 11-2. 

(and no that isn't my prediction for this season - just making the point you have to account for nutty seasons like that when oddsmaking)

Rapelor was 6-3 in the conference the year Bob won the Heisman.  

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

King and Herbert being above Sam is a joke. Mason Fine  at 5 is just kind of a gimmicky pick, but I’m sure he’ll have a higher PFF grade because of his level of competition.  Herbert’s just flat out not that good. He couldn’t even compete 60% of his passes last year against a soft schedule, and over the course of career, his completion percentage drops while his INT ratio spikes when he faces even decent defenses. King put up great numbers last year, but a lot of that was due to the Briles system. He’s going to have a lot more hiccups in a more traditional offense under Holgo.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

King and Herbert being above Sam is a joke. Mason Fine  at 5 is just kind of a gimmicky pick, but I’m sure he’ll have a higher PFF grade because of his level of competition.  Herbert’s just flat out not that good. He couldn’t even compete 60% of his passes last year against a soft schedule, and over the course of career, his completion percentage drops while his INT ratio spikes when he faces even decent defenses. King put up great numbers last year, but a lot of that was due to the Briles system. He’s going to have a lot more hiccups in a more traditional offense under Holgo.

I'm not sure I buy Shane being this high but I'll take it 

42. SMU: SHANE BUECHELE

Buechele is now the clear-cut starter for the Mustangs after battling, and ultimately losing, the job to Sam Ehlinger at Texas. Buechele has a lot of arm talent and with the QB controversy conversation behind him, will look to build on some impressive tape that follows him. He has strong accuracy and if he can increase his yards per attempt average that may have plagued his time at Texas, he could be as good as some of the other electric quarterbacks in his new conference.

• Like 1

I really think Sam needs 13-0 to be seen Hoisting the Heisman. 12-1 might get it, IF the 1 is the first 0U game and we knock them off in the CCG; 12-1 won't do it with the L at the end - Colt was pretty much dropped even with a W against Nebraska. Either Tua or Trevor being unbeaten would likely derail Sam in any event.

And, of course... chickens count hatches etc. At the rate the RBs are dropping, we may wind up 5-wide 100% of the time...

Cool pic.  

Sam's like the Terminator, but instead of being born and predestined to grow up and lead the battle against the robots, he was born to lead Texas back from Hell even before said Hell had even begun.  I'm guessing someone during the Case McCoy or Tyrone Swoops years must have gone back in a time machine and introduced his parents and told encouraged them to start "doin' it."  So Sam's the little punk kid on the motorbike in T2, Sarah Connor is his mom, his Dad is "Kyle Reese" from T1 (who died).  I think we can agree the parallels are scary.    

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Cool pic.  

Sam's like the Terminator, but instead of being born and predestined to grow up and lead the battle against the robots, he was born to lead Texas back from Hell even before said Hell had even begun.  I'm guessing someone during the Case McCoy or Tyrone Swoops years must have gone back in a time machine and introduced his parents and told encouraged them to start "doin' it."  So Sam's the little punk kid on the motorbike in T2, Sarah Connor is his mom, his Dad is "Kyle Reese" from T1 (who died).  I think we can agree the parallels are scary.    

I appreciate the level of thought + detail here. Although clearly was VY who time traveled.