Official "Fuck this stupid ass-commercial" thread

Prepuce of Doom

Hilton or Marriot; some hotel company;  woman who sounds like she's speaking through a cheap megaphone says, "It would be great if human beings were actually great at being human."  Hey, fuck you.  It would be greater if your ads weren't laden with sanctimonious bullshit.  I'm sick of being lectured about how I need to be a  better person.  Just STFU and concentrate on providing clean sheets and towels and cleaning the bathroom.

• Like 4

Agree 100% with the above post, RDCanecutter.

The incessant stream of big pharma ads fucking cause health problems!  If someone needs medical advice they damn sure don't need to get it from television.  Eliminating big pharma ads should be the next battleground for the Surgeon General (does one still exist?).  These karma vampires should be removed from all platforms.  Someone very dear to me has their A-Fib somewhat under control but must keep a finger poised on the mute button or channel change button to get through a half hour of cable.  And they definitely do NOT want to hear the two dozen harmful potential side effects of  "Alphabetaphiloxipoppinhrpuffinstuffelol" and the like.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Any pharma ad that shows people running happily in the sunlight thanks to Alphabetaphiloxipoppinhrpuffinstuffelol.

Fuck that. I can just get drunk and feel good and run around outside, until the cops show up.

This. I read somewhere that pharma TV ads are allowed in only two countries in the world, but I have no idea if this is actually true. I know for a fact that pharma ads on any media (not just on TV) are not allowed in some countries. But there’s literally zero chance that the US government would bite the hand that feeds it, no matter the consequences.

13 hours ago, XYZ said:

This. I read somewhere that pharma TV ads are allowed in only two countries in the world, but I have no idea if this is actually true. I know for a fact that pharma ads on any media (not just on TV) are not allowed in some countries. But there’s literally zero chance that the US government would bite the hand that feeds it, no matter the consequences.

Well it wasn't that long ago that they weren't allowed here as well 

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Well it wasn't that long ago that they weren't allowed here as well 

Yep. But we had cool cigarette ads, muscle car ads, and Major Matt Mason ads instead.

I submit to you, Sir, that if I could invent a working time machine to send people back to that era, that a man could get rich selling concessions to the Time Machine customers waiting in line to use it.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, XYZ said:

I would like to see both pharma ads and sleazy law firm ambulance chaser ads disappear.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:11 PM, Bama Llama said:

Agree 100% with the above post, RDCanecutter.

The incessant stream of big pharma ads fucking cause health problems!  If someone needs medical advice they damn sure don't need to get it from television.  Eliminating big pharma ads should be the next battleground for the Surgeon General (does one still exist?).  These karma vampires should be removed from all platforms.  Someone very dear to me has their A-Fib somewhat under control but must keep a finger poised on the mute button or channel change button to get through a half hour of cable.  And they definitely do NOT want to hear the two dozen harmful potential side effects of  "Alphabetaphiloxipoppinhrpuffinstuffelol" and the like.

"Tell your doctor you know more than him, even though you didn't go to med school."

46 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Probably already posted, but fuck that toilet paper ad with the animated bear singing about how clean their fucking hiney is.

It spikes my blood pressure. 

The fact that the smarmy little brat "rhymes" each line by ending with the word "clean" is infuriating and inexcusably bad and lazy writing. 

Oh, and username checks out. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Fuck that bear in the goatass.

On 9/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Any pharma ad that shows people running happily in the sunlight thanks to Alphabetaphiloxipoppinhrpuffinstuffelol.

Fuck that. I can just get drunk and feel good and run around outside, until the cops show up.

But can you do it with an erection?

maxresdefault.jpg

I did some ad/marketing work for a Pharma client a couple of years ago. Worst experience of my adult life. I quit working at ad agencies soon after. I felt dirty every fucking day with the happy people and happy  music playing while the voice over rattles off the fair balance disclosures about all of the vile side effects. 

I talked to a couple of doctors about the effectiveness of pharma ads. They said that they do in fact get a lot of patients that ask about specific pharma shit they have seen on tv. 

Budweiser's new copper lager surely sucks dicks for quarters, but i give them props for doing an ad featuring Bubbles (The Wire, not TPB), and Charlize Theron with Run DMC as the soundtrack. i hate it less than i hate most ads, and it'll take me a couple more days to get sick of this one than a typical ad. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Budweiser's new copper lager surely sucks dicks for quarters, but i give them props for doing an ad featuring Bubbles (The Wire, not TPB), and Charlize Theron with Run DMC as the soundtrack. i hate it less than i hate most ads, and it'll take me a couple more days to get sick of this one than a typical ad. 

I'll never tire of Ms Theron. She's a got damn South African treasure. 

On 9/30/2019 at 8:56 PM, Beau Vine said:

"We really need this merger," is something you always hear in merger negotiations.  

You do realize that commercials are not intended to be literal representations of reality, right? For example, there is no house where all the former Heisman winners live together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

You do realize that commercials are not intended to be literal representations of reality, right? For example, there is no house where all the former Heisman winners live together.

Yes but you have to simulate reality in a somewhat plausible manner. It you have to have a pretend football game, you don't hire 22 13 year old girls to pretend to be football players. Because the faker the scene is, the more likely it is that viewers will be all like fuck your bullshit.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:21 PM, Goo Punch said:

I can't get past the 'Completely ignoring science to write some girl power fantasy' of a skinny chick beating a man that's 4 times as strong as her in arm wrestling.

Commercials don't have to be literal or realistic, but come the hell on. 

Anyways, I came here to mention that I'm not the least bit familiar with Physicians Mutual, but their commercials are so terrible that I'd guess they suck at whatever they do.  Same for the Martha Stewart cut off your finger cooking commercial for PostIt Notes or whatever that they play 50 times a game.  50 reminders a game that I'm hating your company for bombarding us with crap.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

Don’t remember the company, but that brake-assist sensor commercial during the TX-OU game pissed me off. Mark wasn’t going to be killed by that car going 20mph. And he obviously didn’t give a shit about any of those family & friends that were talking so great about him if he just waltzed into the middle of the street with no regard for his life like that.