The QB Situation

Junior Miller

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If the Oline is going to protect this well all season then Shane needs to get a chance under center. Especially if Sam isn't going to use his legs when he loads of space in front of him. 

I honestly don't know why people think Shane is going to be any better. They both are what they both are; that is they should both probably be backup QBs. 

you mean the offensive system that won a national title with their 3rd string qb?

They aren’t running that system. Show me where Cardell would roll to the short side of the field and self-sack. Show me where slow developing plays were the norm. Show me where the guy with a hot hand gets benched and not heard from again.

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

They aren’t running that system. Show me where Cardell would roll to the short side of the field and self-sack. Show me where slow developing plays were the norm. Show me where the guy with a hot hand gets benched and not heard from again.

Yeah. This was the ‘throw shit against the wall and see what sticks but if it sticks we’re gonna go ahead and try some other shit to see if it sticks’ offense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

you mean the offensive system that won a national title with their 3rd string qb?

oh for fucks sake please stop. this team and coach sucks. watch the fucking game. rewatxh the first half. fuck man we suck and not in the good way

idiot, the system is fine, we aren't running it. We aren't running any system, just throwing shit out there.

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I honestly don't know why people think Shane is going to be any better. They both are what they both are; that is they should both probably be backup QBs. 

Because Shane was better than Ehlinger has ever been when the line wasn't a complete shitshow and running for your life didn't comprise 50% of the offense (i.e. in 2016).  236-of-391 (60.4%) of passes through the first 12 games of his career for a UT freshmen-record 2,958 passing yards and 21 passing touchdowns.  Granted he also had Foreman to take some of the heat off, but he also had Connor Williams.  The contest arose last year when there were no RBs, no OL, and the QB was getting decapitated every 8th play or so.  Ehilinger is more decapitaton-resistant.

• Like 2

The only situation is Hermbeckhandayton need to let Sam do his thing...and that's run the fucking ball if the D leaves a huge hole open for him. With Buchele and two capable Freshman QB's on tap it's ok if means he has to sit a game or two with injuries.

I mean, Vince wasn't Vince until Mack and GDGD let him be Vince. (And no, I'm not comparing Sam to Vince, just sayin)

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

triple covered, maybe 4 and Mr. Magoo forces it there.

Lulz  !

FML !

“It’s awful,” Ehlinger said. “To have three turnovers in the last three drives, first one, arm got tipped. Second one was a fumble. Third one, had to take a chance. Obviously we need to protect the football to win, but before that, we should’ve never been in that situation.

“We started too slow, we started hesitant. I think it’s a great learning moment for us.”

“I still love him,” tight end Andrew Beck said. “He’s going to be our quarterback and we all love him. That’s not the defining moment of Sam’s career, I can assure of that. It’s not the defining moment of the season. I’m not too worried about it. He’s going to be fine, I promise.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/maryland-34-texas-29-three-late-turnovers-raise-questions-whether-anything-changed/

Edited by torre

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You only get "happy feet" when you're moving around needlessly. Shane's movement was necessitated by unblocked blind side rushers and marginally blocked front side rushers.

If the line can protect Shane like they did Sam, Shane would hit more passes. What I don't know is how defenses would change without the threat of Sam running. I would have put Shane in to start the second quarter today.

Ehlinger looked like he'd just come out of a trance in the first quarter. The dull-eyed look as we got a delay penalty on the first play made my stomach go to a bad and familiar place.

I'm very tired of not really believing Texas will or can win a game like this. Maybe we'll bounce back. Maybe not. But it will take some real difference to ease this sense of doom I have whenever we get behind in a game.

The offense lacks any kind of coherence. We come to life running tempo to end the second quarter, but we abandon that for the slow clap offense the rest of the game. We have success running up the middle, but we run at the same spot three times in a row for 9, 4, and 0 yards. WTF? 

We seem to bumble around looking for something that will work instead of setting up something to work. I don't know how to do that myself, but I recognize it when it happens.

Three turnovers to end the game. Two were interceptions. Start Shane.

This. Totally agree.

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Won't be surprised if we see Heard getting reps against Tulsa next week.

They should have probably gave Heard a decent shot last season.  I dont have high hopes for any of the QBs.  They cant even teach our starter to lead the running back on a dump pass instead of throwing it behind him.....Sams accuracy is total shit.  I guess Heard couldnt be any worse.

11 minutes ago, torre said:

Lulz  !

FML !

“It’s awful,” Ehlinger said. “To have three turnovers in the last three drives, first one, arm got tipped. Second one was a fumble. Third one, had to take a chance. Obviously we need to protect the football to win, but before that, we should’ve never been in that situation.

“We started too slow, we started hesitant. I think it’s a great learning moment for us.”

“I still love him,” tight end Andrew Beck said. “He’s going to be our quarterback and we all love him. That’s not the defining moment of Sam’s career, I can assure of that. It’s not the defining moment of the season. I’m not too worried about it. He’s going to be fine, I promise.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/maryland-34-texas-29-three-late-turnovers-raise-questions-whether-anything-changed/

The first and third explanation bother me.  I would have wanted him to flat out say it doesn't matter the circumstance, it's on me as the leader of the team if we turn the ball over in crunch time.  

The better the offensive line, the more I might wonder if Shane can do a little better.  At best.  I need to see the offensive line against a little more talent on the other side to really feel better about this unit for the year.  I also don't think they can waste Rising until the last four games absent injury.  

I agree with the statements regarding the system. We all know that Herman/meyer run the shit out of the qb. We all know if Sam is the qb then run him. With the plan we executed today we may as well have gone with Shane. I understand we have several coaches providing input on our game plan and the next play, but maybe we need to strip that down to Herman and whoever the hell the real OC is. 

11 minutes ago, UTDD said:

The better the offensive line, the more I might wonder if Shane can do a little better.  At best.  I need to see the offensive line against a little more talent on the other side to really feel better about this unit for the year.  I also don't think they can waste Rising until the last four games absent injury.  

The red shirt rule isnt that you can only play the final 4 games, it's just no more than 4 games total. I wouldn't wait until the final 4 games sinve that 4th one from the end is West Virginia. We aren't throwing him out there cold against them. 

I'd play a combo of Shane and Rising against a shitty Tulsa defense to start to get both of them some reps and get Rising hopefully a little confidence against the lower-level team. 

• Like 4

Just now, Junior Miller said:

The red shirt rule isnt that you can only play the final 4 games, it's just no more than 4 games total. I wouldn't wait until the final 4 games sinve that 4th one from the end is West Virginia. We aren't throwing him out there cold against them. 

I'd play a combo of Shane and Rising against a shitty Tulsa defense to start to get both of them some reps and get Rising hopefully a little confidence against the lower-level team. 

Nod on the rule, but I still doubt they play Rising this early just in case of a real injury.  I do think they can play Rising before the final four games, but I doubt he plays before that rough four game stretch. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Because Shane was better than Ehlinger has ever been when the line wasn't a complete shitshow and running for your life didn't comprise 50% of the offense (i.e. in 2016).  236-of-391 (60.4%) of passes through the first 12 games of his career for a UT freshmen-record 2,958 passing yards and 21 passing touchdowns.  Granted he also had Foreman to take some of the heat off, but he also had Connor Williams.  The contest arose last year when there were no RBs, no OL, and the QB was getting decapitated every 8th play or so.  Ehilinger is more decapitaton-resistant.

This is correct

Neither is a good qb for different reasons. I think throwing a freshman in before they're ready is also a bad idea.  In other words, things don't look real rosy this year.  It's why I didn't get excited before I saw how Ellinger would look.  The rest of the team doesn't matter if the qb doesn't get it done.

I’d go with Heard, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Problem is they won't run anything that actually takes advantage of his talent. Plus, it's probably too late for him now. Now he is just taking playing time away from a real wr.

I feel sorry for the young man. He got screwed over by incredibly shitty coaching. We all saw that he had the talent, he just needed coaching to take that next step.

Hell, he was ranked ahead of DeShaun Watson(I know that doesn't guarantee anything). But it does tell what kind of talent the man had. All he needed was a decent coach.

17 hours ago, Sejjr said:

We have no fucking offensive identity. I have no idea what type of offense we are trying to run, and it appears the coaches don't know, either. 

yep this is your problem top to bottom. bad QB play is a symptom of this

i love the ZR when the QB never keeps it. great idea guys

we do one misdirection play (the reverse) and the Terps had THREE guys to tackle our guy for a loss. Maryland rand the jet sweep like 5 times and averaged >10 yards a carry.

When the other team's defense TECMO BOWLs your offensive play call at a rate of like 50% then something is really fucking wrong with it top to bottom. 

The first and third explanation bother me.  I would have wanted him to flat out say it doesn't matter the circumstance, it's on me as the leader of the team if we turn the ball over in crunch time.  

That’s leadership and accountability. Herman’s not practicing or preaching it so there is none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/1/2018 at 7:20 PM, hookem48 said:

With an elite offensive line this system is fantastic. However, unlike the veer and shoot, with a below average line it looks like the trash we’ve witnessed under Herman. 

Rewatched the tempo/Ingram drive in the second quarter. Hard to fathom that is the same team that player the second half. 

The defense lost this one by coming out on its heels. The defense WAS the offensive identity. The Os warm blanket that they could “ease” into the season. When the got bitch slapped the first 16 mins straight the offense went turtle. 

They played tight and indecisive. Their faux offseason confidence was shattered the moment Maryland went up 7-0. The defense recovered somewhat. The offense never did. 

That Ingram drive worked so well because the tempo took away the mental aspect and just made them play and rep. 

The offensive identity is still “shell shocked” and they need a spark with leadership capabilities to get out of it. (Some better play calls to establish a rhythm and better down and distance won’t hurt either ). The offense is fucked between the ears. On the field and in the booth.