Brandon Jones

USMCHorn

He has more size and speed than Deshon. If he can have a senior year with some takeaways, keep destroying the run game and stay healthy, this dude is looking at a great draft day. Safeties are hard to project but I’m thinking 2nd-3rd. He is an elite athlete for the safety position.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to really interested to see where he gets drafted.  Kid is Yancied up,  loves contact, and he's quick to the ball - I want him on my team.  Watching him shake off the block from an offensive lineman (75) after the pick at 14:06 in the second quarter, and then blow up another offensive lineman (76) is a thing of beauty.  I would put that play on every strength and conditioning video to recruits. 

• Like 1

Love me some Brandon Jones. Pound for pound he and Brown are the toughest MFers on the team. Pursues well, wraps up, hits like a ton of bricks. His run support has never been in question. I thought he covered well from what I saw last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 4:32 PM, williemackgarza said:

Man, never knew the b jones backstory.
Pretty dusty up in here.
Dude is a great player. Gives 100% ea play. Ill be rooting for him
Hookem

Thx for your post.... Went back and rewatched.  Damn ceiling fan must be dusty up in here...

• Like 2

For anyone that has analyzed replays on the defense, how come he hasnt been more involved in passbreak ups/ints?  Is it the corner on his side of the field that gets burned on the deep plays. Ive seen him play toward the line of scrimmage and he has shown to play well there.

He’s been playing more in run support and closer to the line I think.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ousux said:

His days as a current longhorn player are coming to an end and its been up and down, (his best days may be in the NFL) but he will forever have a place in my heart for his epic aggy/liucci bitchslap.

Hook em Brandon.

fify

11.13.2019 | Football

Jones named semifinalist for Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year

The senior DB is the second Longhorn to be named a semifinalist for the award.

AUSTIN, Texas  – Texas defensive back Brandon Jones was named a semifinalist for the 2019 Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award, the Witten Award selection committee announced Wednesday. Jones joins former Longhorn captain Andrew Beck (2018) as semifinalists for the honor, which was first awarded in 2017.

Jones, a native of Nacogdoches, Texas, has played in and started all nine games for the Longhorns as a team captain this season. He has made a team-high 61 tackles, and has also recorded 4.5 tackles for loss, three pass breakups and intercepted two passes. He was a preseason watch list candidate for both the Bronko Nagurski and Lott IMPACT trophies, as well as a member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.

Jones lost his father to liver disease when he was in seventh grade and has worked hard to provide a foundation for his mother and four brothers. Besides being a frequent participant in Texas' team community activities, such as hospital visits and rebuilding a local playground, Jones built a special relationship with a young cancer patient he met at Dell Children's Medical Center in Austin.

Jones recently gifted Jayden Morton, the friend he met through his time at Dell Children's, one of his jerseys as a token for the impact Morton has had on Jones' life.

The Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award will announce three finalists on Monday, Dec. 16. The winner will be announced at the award ceremony on Feb. 18, 2019, at The Star in Frisco, Texas. Last year, Wisconsin's D'Cota Dixon won the award. The inaugural Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award was presented to Shaquem Griffin of UCF in 2017.

The award, presented by Albertsons and Tom Thumb, is the first college football honor to focus primarily on a player's leadership, both on and off the field.

The winner of the Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year will also receive a $10,000 contribution in his name to his school's athletic scholarship fund. The contribution will be made by Jason Witten's SCORE Foundation, the official charity of Jason and his wife Michelle. The SCORE Foundation, founded in 2007, has positively impacted tens of thousands of children and families in Texas and Tennessee over the last 12 years. The foundation operates its nationally-recognized SCOREkeepers program, which places trained male mentors on staff to work with children at family violence shelters, at nine shelters in the two states.  

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/13/football-jones-named-semifinalist-for-jason-witten-collegiate-man-of-the-year.aspx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/28/nfl-combine-update-texas-s-brandon-jones-has-met-with-three-teams/

I forgot he was injured and not going through drills at the combine, but found this interesting while looking for how he was doing.

He made a binder and broke down film and scheme for every single team as interview prep . Pretty good way to spend rehab time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Really happy for Brandon Jones.  Anyone that watched that texags documentary knows that Brandon had to step in big ways after his father passed for his family.  The guy represented Texas well and played his butt off.  He now gets to join the Texas NFL DBU class.  Congrats Brandon and hook em!

• Like 5