Brandon Jones

USMCHorn

7 hours ago, ousux said:

Great pick by the phins...he's one I always thought wouldnt reach his peak until the NFL, still think that. Hook em Brandon!

Yep. Actually getting to play in a coherent system will do wonders for him. He’s an extremely smart player and absolutely works his ass off. He’s only going to get better and better. 

(Taylor Estes) Brandon Jones taken by Miami in third round of 2020 NFL Draft

In a somewhat surprise move, the first Longhorn off the 2020 NFL Draft board is former safety Brandon Jones. The former Texas safety was selected No. 70 overall by the Miami Dolphins in the NFL Draft. While Jones has proven to be a consistent playmaker for Texas, the senior captain being picked first is a little bit of a surprise to the NFL Draft pundits.

After receiving an invite to the 2020 NFL Combine, Jones was not able to participate in workouts or drills at the event due to a lingering shoulder injury he dealt with throughout his senior season. Jones , ended up having post-season shoulder surgery.

Jones made headlines entering the NFL Combine, not because of his on-field performance, but because of what he did off the field knowing he would not be able to participate in the combine workouts. Rather than solely working on his physical rehab, Jones spent the last eight weeks breaking down every NFL team's defensive plays from the 2019 season, according to Bleacher Report's Matt Miller.

"All 32 teams. Every defensive play. Jones told me he has notebooks for every team he'll hand out during interviews at the combine," reported Miller. Jones was invited to participate in the Reese's Senior Bowl, and while he made the trip down to Mobile, Ala., his shoulder surgery made him unable to play in the game. With the limitations he has dealt with since wrapping up his career at Texas, Jones knee  he had to prove himself even more to NFL organizations.

After four years on the Forty Acres, Jones wrapped up his college career with 47 game appearances where he racked up 233 career-tackles, including 14 tackles for loss and four interceptions. Voted a captain ahead of his senior year, Jones made an impact during his final season playing in burnt orange, and finished second on the team with 86 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss, in addition to adding two interceptions, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

The Longhorns wrapped up the 2019 season on a high note when they posted a dominant performance over then-No. 11-ranked Utah in the Valero Alamo Bowl. Texas did so without the offensive and defensive coordinators from the 2019 season after Herman fired DC Todd Orlando and removed the OC title from Tim Beck at the end of the regular season.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, LebongJames said:

He has more size and speed than Deshon. If he can have a senior year with some takeaways, keep destroying the run game and stay healthy, this dude is looking at a great draft day. Safeties are hard to project but I’m thinking 2nd-3rd. He is an elite athlete for the safety position.

1st off the board for Texas and in the 3rd rnd. This was a not bad take for August.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:55 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Man that video brings the tears 

I hope the non-booster independent media company Texags.com can get rights to that footage and include it in a postscript to their excellent Brandon Jones recruiting documentary.

Rooting for him more than normal.  He was one of our best tacklers.  He often took a perfect angle on pursuing the ball carrier even when deep or starting from the other side of the field.

He bailed out some mind numbingly poor angles from defenders with much better initial position more times than I care to remember. Never developed the coverage or ball skills to be a truly elite college safety, but with there the NFL is headed I think he can have a good career as a hybrid type that plays in the box on early downs.

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Last year's 6th pick of the 3rd round, Darrell Henderson,  signed a 4 year, $4.2 million deal. That included a $1 million signing bonus.

Glad to see someone like Jones get that kind of money. The signing bonus is the only guaranteed part of the contract but most second day picks play out the entire contract, unless you’re a total moron or just don’t work hard like Foreman or Malik. I highly doubt Jones will have those problems. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Glad to see someone like Jones get that kind of money. The signing bonus is the only guaranteed part of the contract but most second day picks play out the entire contract, unless you’re a total moron or just don’t work hard like Foreman or Malik. I highly doubt Jones will have those problems. 

Was that Malik's problem?  Seemed like he was a hard worker, just had T-Rex arms and no true position

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...