Hair Metal

cabowabo

Love hair metal. Sex, drugs and rock and roll. It was loud and fun. Got to see Poison, Skid Row and Vince Neil probably ten years ago. Vince sucked, but the rest was awesome.

I got to see Skid Row open for Bon Jovi in 1991. Was epic.

Saw Whitesnake and Warrant open for Motley Crue on different tours. Poison open for David Lee Roth. Skid row open for GnR. Kix and Britney Fox open for Ratt. Tesla with Great White.  All between 87 and 92 in Dallas.  Oh yeah, can’t leave out Winger at the Music Mill Amphitheater at Six Flags. Loved me some hair metal around middle school age.  

Back in the early 90's, saw Warrant and Poison. On the Flesh and Blood tour. Also saw Damn Yankees and Bad Company(neither were exactly hair metal). Also saw Joan Jett open for Aerosmith on the Pump tour, again not really hair metal, just hard rock with a lot of hair involved.

Fast forward to the last decade, saw Ratt open for Poison. Saw Warrant and Poison again(post Jani Lane death). Saw Tesla/Alice Cooper/Motley Crue. Cooper does not fit the genre as such. Vince Neil was the only disappointment at that show, he could not keep up with the lyrics anymore, a much older Alice put him to shame. Saw Slash, again not really as much hair metal. Saw Heart open for Def Leppard. Saw Bon Jovi on their Because We Can tour. Also have seen AC/DC, KISS, Aerosmith and ZZ Top in the last decade but none of them really fit the description. They were just great artists during that era.

Saw Motley Crue on the Girls, Girls, Girls and the Dr. Feelgood tours.  Then saw Vince Neil solo right after he got kicked out of Motley Crue in like 94 or so.  He was traveling around to small clubs and his band sounded just like the Crue.  Even had a tall lanky drummer that played like Tommy Lee.  It was actually a pretty good show.  He played pretty much all Crue songs.  We got to meet him after the show and got his autograph.  

I had no idea Jani Lane had died.  Acute alcohol poisoning at a Comfort Inn.  Interestingly, his Wikipedia page calls Warrant ‘glam metal’ and his birth name was John Kennedy Oswald and he was born 3 months after Kennedy was killed

He also said Cherry Pie was his biggest regret.

Steel Panther is epic and should be here.

He also said Cherry Pie was his biggest regret.

I never got this...people who claim to hate being stereotyped or pigeonholed because they had a hit single. "But our band was so much more than the one song..."blah blah blah bullshit. Take the fame and riches from your one hit and be happy. One hit is more than 99.999+ % of aspiring musicians ever get.
And Warrant certainly had more than just one hit. So what if it was a campy, cheesy song that broke them? That dude got laid more because of that one song got than he ever did for anything else in his life.

If I recall it was more the the label owned them, and was dictating what kind of music they should be making. I think that’s really hard on most artists.

But your point has some merit. Plus I’m pretty sure he was banging Bobbi Brown for a little while after that video.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:31 PM, Ldogg53 said:

I got to see Skid Row open for Bon Jovi in 1991. Was epic.

Yup, saw that one at the Superdrum, although I thought it was earlier, more like 1989 after the New Jersey album came out in 88?  Also saw their next tour for Keep The Faith.

Van Halen for 5150 and OU812.  My folks said I was too young to go with my older brother for 1984 so I missed that one.

Def Leppard for Hysteria.

Motley Crue for Dr. Feelgood.

GnR for Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion

Poison for Open up and say...Ahh! and Flesh & Blood.

At other times throughout the 80s and 90s, saw Aerosmith, Cinderella, Scorpions, Quiet Riot, Twister Sister, and yes, even Europe.

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Agreed. I saw them in Vegas and they were excellent. 

I saw them there as well...I told this story in the "Brush With Greatness" thread but I chatted with Vinnie Paul (Pantera/Hellyeah) after a SP show and we sang "Never Say Goodbye" by Bon Jovi as it played over the PA. He's a funny dude.

• Like 1

Does Steel Panther talk belong here?

What about Steel Dragon?

Amongst others, saw Bon Jovi open up for Ratt in 1985 at El Paso Coliseum. My mom took me and a friend.

Motley Crue Theater of Pain tour the following year at the same venue.

I was so pissed she wouldn’t let me go to Def Leppard on their Pyromania tour with a friend in 1983. That was the greasy Mexicans show.

It’s weird that the wiki for that tour doesn’t show that show.

ba7c9171a55e977059ef80231d433e64.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyromania_World_Tour

http://defleppardandelpasotexas.com

On 4/4/2018 at 10:54 AM, utee94 said:

Yup, saw that one at the Superdrum, although I thought it was earlier, more like 1989 after the New Jersey album came out in 88?  Also saw their next tour for Keep The Faith.

Ahhh you are correct.  Just checked and the Houston show I attended was Sept 29, 1989. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 1:44 PM, Buzzrock said:

Kip Winger is on a solo acoustic tour right now.

Heh. A couple years ago, me and a couple friends went to see Tesla/Alice Cooper/Motley Crue. I already had a Metallica Kill "Em All tour shirt and a AC/DC Black Ice tour shirt. One of my friends decided to order a plain black tee with nothing but Winger on the front. So lent the AC/DC shirt to the other friend, I wore the Metallica shirt. It was somewhat disappointing, only a couple of people got our joke.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 9:03 PM, utee94 said:

Wow, you're old AF.

And you should feel even worse, because I'm old.  But you're even older.

Hey, not that I'm that old, but I do know it takes wisdom to get to live anywhere past 40 these days, so rock on..!

Also my favorite rock song I used to listen to on the radio as a kid:

The best "hair metal" album. Honestly, other than their look, shit's way heavier than hair metal. There was a youtube comment that was something like "This is whisky drinking, cocaine snorting, pussy getting music." Yep, that about sums it up.

You Tom is still making music?

• 3 years later...

Heard about this on a podcast, and I'm way behind on podcasts, so this news is a month old.  I tried to search the forum and didn't see anything on it. 

Cinderella lost two band members on the same day.  Sucks.

Cinderella Guitarist Jeff LaBar Dead at 58

Jeff LaBar, best known as the guitarist for glam metal band Cinderella, has died. His son Sebastian confirmed the news on Wednesday via a social media post. He was 58. The cause of death was not disclosed.

“My father, my hero, my idol, passed away today. I’m currently at a loss for words. I love you pop!,” Sebastian wrote via Instagram. “If you could, please share pictures or video of all the fun times we all had with my dad. It would be greatly appreciated.”

LaBar linked up with Cinderella in 1985, after founding guitarist Michael Schermick departed. He joined the Philadelphia band as they were signing to Mercury/Polygram and remained in the band through 2017. In 1986, they released their debut album, Night Songs. The LP’s breakthrough single “Nobody’s Fool” reached Number 13 and the album hit Number 3 on the Billboard 200. They subsequently toured with Poison, David Lee Roth, and Bon Jovi.

Their sophomore album, 1988’s Long Cold Winter, contained their biggest hit, “Don’t Know What You Got (Till It’s Gone).” The power ballad hit Number 12 on Billboard Hot 100. The LP tipped to frontman Tom Keifer’s penchant for blues rock, which continued to flavor their final two albums, 1990’s Heartbreak Station and 1994’s Still Climbing. In between, Keifer lost his voice due to vocal cord issues. Cinderella went on hiatus in 1995.

A year later, they returned for a tour and a greatest hits compilation. They continued to tour in the early 2000s and in 2006, they marked their 20th anniversary of their debut album, alongside Poison. Keifer’s vocal cord issues derailed another planned tour in 2008, but they resumed hitting the road a few years later, which included a 25th anniversary tour in 2011, and a rock cruise in 2013. In 2017, after years of inaction, Keifer announced that Cinderella would not reunite.

LaBar also worked on side projects, including one with Cinderella bandmate Eric Brittingham called Naked Beggars, though he parted ways with the group in 2007. LaBar released his debut solo album, One for the Road, in 2014. He played all of the instruments except the drums on the LP.

“Heavy hearts cannot begin to describe the feeling of losing our brother Jeff. The bond between us over decades of creating music and touring the world is something that we as a band uniquely shared,” Cinderella bandmates Keifer, Brittingham and Fred Coury said in a statement. “Those memories with Jeff will be forever alive in our hearts. It’s unimaginable that one of our band brothers has left us. We’re sending his wife Debinique, his son Sebastian, family, and friends our deepest condolences.

“Jeff’s memory and music will be with us forever. We all… band, family and management appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of love. Rest In Peace Jeff.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/cinderella-guitarist-jeff-labar-dead-obituary-1197576/

GRAMMY-Award winning Cinderella & KISS keyboardist, Gary Corbett, has passed away at the age of 62.

The keyboardist passed away on Wednesday (July 14), the same day as Cinderella guitarist Jeff Labar passed, who was found dead by his wife Debinique in his Nashville apartment.

Corbett died after battling an aggressive form of lung cancer that metastasized his brain and hip. 

The sad news of Corbett’s passing was confirmed via his Facebook page on Thursday (July 15).

“It is with great sadness and the heaviest of hearts that the Cohen/Corbett family needs to let everyone know that after a hard fought battle with cancer, Gary Corbett passed away last night,” the post read. “Those who knew Gary know that we and the world of music have all lost a very talented, funny, kind and gentle soul. The pain cuts so deeply that our hearts are bleeding.”

Tom Keifer, Eric Brittingham and Fred Coury, the remaining members of Cinderella, issued a statement mourning the loss of the late keyboardist. 

“Late [Wednesday] night, while we were still trying to process the sad news of losing Jeff, we got word that our long time keyboard player Gary Corbett lost his battle with cancer,” the statement began. “Gary was a talented musician and good hearted friend. He toured with Cinderella on and off for many years. Our deepest condolences go out to Gary’s wife Lenora and his family and loved ones. RIP Gary.” 

Corbett was best known as the touring keyboardist for popular rock group Cinderella as well as the offstage keyboardist and backing vocalist on tour for KISS. According to LA Weekly, Corbett appeared on KISS’ LPs Crazy Nights, Hot In The Shade and Revenge. Prior to working with the two rock groups, he is credited for co-writing Cyndi Lauper’s hit “She Bop” and working with former Foreigner frontman Lou Gramm.

He has also conducted the live orchestra for pop star Debbie Gibson as well as composed the music for Martha Stewart’s Back To School Kmart tv advertising campaign.

The late musician had earned a couple GRAMMYs for his work with Reggae icons Damian and Stephen Marley.

https://musicmayhemmagazine.com/grammy-award-winning-cinderella-kiss-keyboardist-gary-corbett-dead-at-62/