Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

lol.... Shocking!  Frankly, I feel bad for the guy.  Really wish him luck on his sobriety, but probably best to move on..... I guess you can NPI him or whatever where he doesn't count vs roster spot and doesn't get paid, but I was extremely skeptical he'd ever help us over a full season and those concerns seem warranted.

Told you guys this team sucks.  Dak won't last more than a few more years, which sucks, because he's the only "star" player right now I genuinely like personality-wise.  Fuck Jerry Jones.  Fuck Jason Garrett.  Fuck everyone.    

Edited by 'stache

Bob Sturm nailed it in his piece on the Athletic today.

1) Jerry and Co. built this team like the NFL is in the 1990s (durr “smash mouth football!!!” durr), while completely ignoring that this is a passing league and ignoring the offense revivals across the league (Rams, 49ers, Eagles, etc.). 

2) If you’re gonna win in the NFL, you either need an elite QB or an elite offensive scheme. For many years, Romo bailed out the coaching staff by going into hero mode every game. Dak, while solid, is no Romo and the coaching staff has no idea how to get the most of him.

3) The coaching staff is subpar, but the architects of the team are the bigger issue. Obviously, we all know who will get the blame at the end of the season.

This offensive gameplanning and playcalling is yet again atrocious. We all heard how this team would have new wrinkles but its the same exact junk yet again. Did not even attempt to use Tavon besides the lame play Lucky used to get. No creativity at all.

Defense was improved but Carolina is offensively challenged. And way too many 2nd and longs turned into 3rd and short and drives kept alive. It was good enough to win yesterday if the offense chipped in but there are still glaring issues going forward, especially when we play better offenses.

I have been a fan of Dak since the beginning but I am very worried about him. He does not look comfortable in the pocket any longer. Terrible throws and many of them are short. Meaning his footwork is off because he has made those throws before.

We went all in on this OL and yesterday it did not look good. I know Frederick was out. But Connor and Collins looked bad. Tyron is definitely not what he was. Not good news when you invest that heavily into one position and your whole offense is based on the run and they could not run and hell at times, didn't even stick with it.

And fuck Garrett and his crony Linehan. Fuck them both. Useless fucking coaches who have no value and we continue to roll with these clowns.

Extraordinarily disappointing performance.   Then today on 105.3, the midday show was asking Stephen some questions that were raised by Aikman during yesterday's broadcast, namely that there seemed to be a lack of creativity and ineffective game planning.  Stephen said something to the tune of "Well a lot of people can play armchair quarterback....blah blah blah."  

IT WAS FUCKING TROY AIKMAN!!!!  NOT ARMCHAIR JOE from South Dallas!!!  

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Extraordinarily disappointing performance.   Then today on 105.3, the midday show was asking Stephen some questions that were raised by Aikman during yesterday's broadcast, namely that there seemed to be a lack of creativity and ineffective game planning.  Stephen said something to the tune of "Well a lot of people can play armchair quarterback....blah blah blah."  

IT WAS FUCKING TROY AIKMAN!!!!  NOT ARMCHAIR JOE from South Dallas!!!  

I heard that shit, too. That and his constant usage of "at the end of the day", I turned that shit off. Fellas, he is just as bad as his dad. This is a family business and the reigns will go to him when Jerry dies unfortunately. Also, both of them are terrible at speaking.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

We went all in on this OL and yesterday it did not look good. I know Frederick was out. But Connor and Collins looked bad. Tyron is definitely not what he was. Not good news when you invest that heavily into one position and your whole offense is based on the run and they could not run and hell at times, didn't even stick with it.

Agreed.  Sean Lee was also out of position a lot.  That's where the low amount preseason reps for these guys came back to haunt us. 

I hate these empty sets, especially early in the game.  You have fucking Zeke and your WR core is suspect, yet you wanna roll 5 wide?  What?

Oh and then second possession you want to give the sole carry to Tavon and then throw twice?  I'm not sure creativity is the problem with these guys.  It's their inability to be non-creative and stick with what works, which is pounding the ball with Zeke. 

4 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Agreed.  Sean Lee was also out of position a lot.  That's where the low amount preseason reps for these guys came back to haunt us. 

I hate these empty sets, especially early in the game.  You have fucking Zeke and your WR core is suspect, yet you wanna roll 5 wide?  What?

Oh and then second possession you want to give the sole carry to Tavon and then throw twice?  I'm not sure creativity is the problem with these guys.  It's their inability to be non-creative and stick with what works, which is pounding the ball with Zeke. 

It is so fucking maddening. Everything you listed is coaching. Garrett and Linehan need to be fucking gone. Now. We are a run based team. We went all in on the OL, drafted Zeke at 4, Dak is showing he is regressing. So why the fucking fuck are we running a spread offense like we are the Packers with Rodgers? I don't get it. And its not like Carolina jumped out to some huge lead and we needed to pass. Even at 0-0 we were not committed to the run. I know there wasn't a lot of holes but you have to keep at it. Going spread with this personnel is not going to cut it.

Once again, our coaching staff fails us. It is bad when you and your buddy and family can sit at a sports bar and just call out the plays before they happen. Think how easy it is for an NFL coordinator to do the same. Predictable, stale, putrid playcalling. I know you will have some point to the 90s Cowboys and how they were predictable. Yeah well guess what, we had one of the best OL in history and a trio of HOF offensive guys. Not to mention a very good TE and other WRs. We aren't even close to that right now so what do you have to do? Keep the defense on its heels. Get creative. Scheme. But nope. We run the same tired shit we do every season but expect it to be different?

I don't want to give up on Dak yet. Yesterday I said I don't think he's the answer and he might not be. But after a lot of thinking, I want to see what he does with real coaching. Coaches who will play to his strengths. Not expose him like ours. Not to mention, Kellen Moore is the QBs coach. So yeah, lets hire a guy who has zero experience coaching and got beat out by Dak to coach a young QB. Smart!

As a Texans fan I can tell you the XavierSua-Filo is pretty fucking terrible. As in- thought one of his buddies was pranking him when they called and said someone wants to sign him terrible. They said during the broadcast yesterday that 4 of the 5 Texans o-linemen were new this year and all the guys they replaced were out of the league...not any more! So we've got that going for us...which is nice

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I heard that shit, too. That and his constant usage of "at the end of the day", I turned that shit off. Fellas, he is just as bad as his dad. This is a family business and the reigns will go to him when Jerry dies unfortunately. Also, both of them are terrible at speaking.

I have a feeling once Jerry is out those three spoiled ass 60 something year old kids will fight each other tooth and nail for control of the franchise. A lot like what happened with the Lakers. Maybe one will kill the other 2 and upon conviction the franchise goes up for sale by the remaining family that wants nothing to do with it. 

• Fuck You 1

I'm not against the idea of having a smashmouth running game.  In fact I like it.

My issues with the offense are a several.

Don't run into a 7-8man box.  Ever.  Don't try to prove a point.  Get the ball outside or do whatever you have to do to avoid facing 2nd and 11.  I want to be able to run the ball too. I don't care when that happens. 1st down or 4th quarter. Doesn't matter

Don't run the ball on 2nd and 16 or 2ndand 21 you stupid fucks.

Why do we feel the need to feature 2 or 3 sub standard TEs at the same time 

Where the web back go?

We have no creativity when our game plan doesn't work.  For some reason they can't adjust.

You play to win the games.  For as crazy as Ron Washington was, his quote about doing that the games asks you to do is spot on.  There's a way to win every game imo.  Or at least most of them.  If you are paying attention it will show you.  These blind stubborn motherfuckers don't look.  Fuck Garret saying we only worry about what we do. Not the other team.  Fuck that noise. 

I'm still in on Dak.   Scars and all. He's got to be much better but I don't think they're helping him succeed with the play calling.

Football is stupid and I hate it.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

I have a feeling once Jerry is out those three spoiled ass 60 something year old kids will fight each other tooth and nail for control of the franchise. A lot like what happened with the Lakers. Maybe one will kill the other 2 and upon conviction the franchise goes up for sale by the remaining family that wants nothing to do with it. 

Give it to Charlotte

I am not going to bump the offseason thread but where are those people saying how great Stafford is? Dude is a stat padding loser and a poor man's Romo. 

Romo wasn’t a loser, asshole. Haven’t you learned yet that he was a goddamn hero for his ability to actually move the offense despite Ginger calling the same five plays over and over again? Despite the shit defenses Jerry assembled year after year? And the comparison was Dak v Stafford. Both stink. At least Stafford has big games sometimes. It’s probably not all Daks fault because the coaching is still dog shit. But he’s no Romo and unfortunately he needs to be to ever succeed in this bullshit system.

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Garrett and Linehan need to be fucking gone.

I don't mind CEO style coaches if they hire the right coordinators.  Garrett does a good job of handling Jerry and I'm not sure that's a task many coaches would like to take on.  I get the Jerry hate, but getting rid of the owner is likely not gonna happen, so unless I want to root for another team, I try not to worry about it.

Linehan has consistently underperformed with the talent given.  He also conveniently forget how to stick to the running attack, ALL THE TIME. Hell, the only success he's had here is when he runs the damn ball like 30x a game.   If we miss the playoffs this year, they need to make a change offensively.  

Also, I believe keeping the entire offense out for the bulk of preseason was a bad idea and certainly had an impact on their performance.  That's on the coaches. You can't play scared.  That said, it was CWill and Collins who struggled the most on the line and they had the most playing time in preseason so I don't know what to believe.

The offense looked to settle in by the 4th quarter, so hopefully they can use that momentum going into this week.  If not, there won't be any more excuses and we will not be a very good football team. 

I just wanted to drop a post reminding all of you faithful cowboys fans that there really isn’t much hope for this franchise and you might want to think about re-orienting your life around something other than the cowboys.

The owners are truly idiots and really don’t care about winning. They care about making billions and living a lavish lifestyle. And the ‘tards that have take over for Jerry have only one thing in common with their dad: bloodlines. They certainly aren’t qualified to run a football franchise. They’ve proven that year after year. Pull off the band-aid. It’s incredibly liberating.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I just wanted to drop a post reminding all of you faithful cowboys fans that there really isn’t much hope for this franchise and you might want to think about re-orienting your life around something other than the cowboys.

The owners are truly idiots and really don’t care about winning. They care about making billions and living a lavish lifestyle. And the ‘tards that have take over for Jerry have only one thing in common with their dad: bloodlines. They certainly aren’t qualified to run a football franchise. They’ve proven that year after year. Pull off the band-aid. It’s incredibly liberating.

You do realize there are still Browns fans who come out in droves for their games?  Losing sucks, but it's part of being a fan.  Being loyal, and going through the lulls is what makes eventual victory, as unrealistic as that may be, taste so much sweeter.  

36 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Don't you think if I could've done that I would've 20 years ago?  I can't and it fucking sucks

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Did this exact thing after the 08 Eagles game. Still a fan of the team, but no longer care much about losses. If they lose, at least we get to see Jerry squirm.

25 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Off topic, but if a team ties every game over a 16 game season, do they have a better record than a team that goes 7-9? And if they have the same record as an 8-8 team, how would they determine the tie breaker?

Let’s bring in Mike Pereira 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Haha 1