Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I just wanted to drop a post reminding all of you faithful cowboys fans that there really isn’t much hope for this franchise and you might want to think about re-orienting your life around something other than the cowboys.

The owners are truly idiots and really don’t care about winning. They care about making billions and living a lavish lifestyle. And the ‘tards that have take over for Jerry have only one thing in common with their dad: bloodlines. They certainly aren’t qualified to run a football franchise. They’ve proven that year after year. Pull off the band-aid. It’s incredibly liberating.

I did - I switched to becoming a bigger Rangers/Stars/Mavericks fan.... It's worked out well........

• Haha 1

Short article about Connor..... I think it reinforces the thoughts that this year is going to be a standard rookie campaign with some good, some bad, and some ugly.  He's very young to come out and he's being forced into a new position which generally is required to be very strong at the POA, his clear weakness coming out.  I still feel they should have flipped La'el and Connor to start out but they seem all in on making him a guard at this point.  Both guys were sub-par, to say the least, vs Carolina.  The OL, overall, was terrible.... If the Cowboys are going to do anything this year, it has to start up front.  They have to be better.... a lot better.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/09/12/cowboys-rookie-connor-williams-debut-didnt-best-wanted

Williams started at left guard and gave up two of the six sacks allowed by the offensive line. Defensive tackle Kawann Short overpowered him in the second quarter and again in the fourth.

Immediately after the game, Jason Garrett talked about how Williams, "battled his ass off.'' The head coach tempered his praise the next day, saying how the Panthers game was a challenging one for the rookie.

"There's some areas in pass protection that wasn't good enough and we'll continue to work with him on that,'' Garrett said.

Williams weighed 296 pounds at the scouting combine in February. The Cowboys now list him at 310. He's improved his spot and bench press in recent months, although he doesn't give a specific number.

Still, his strength is an issue as a first year player.

"Strength comes with time,'' Williams said. "It's not like I'm going to get super strength overnight, so it's all about technique right now and learning from my flaws.''

It's also about making the adjustment from a college tackle to someone who now plays inside.

"Moving from tackle to guard and then playing a 200-pounder to 350, it's definitely an adjustment,'' Williams said. "But it's something I can definitely learn and get better at.''

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Short article about Connor..... I think it reinforces the thoughts that this year is going to be a standard rookie campaign with some good, some bad, and some ugly.  He's very young to come out and he's being forced into a new position which generally is required to be very strong at the POA, his clear weakness coming out.  I still feel they should have flipped La'el and Connor to start out but they seem all in on making him a guard at this point.  Both guys were sub-par, to say the least, vs Carolina.  The OL, overall, was terrible.... If the Cowboys are going to do anything this year, it has to start up front.  They have to be better.... a lot better.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/09/12/cowboys-rookie-connor-williams-debut-didnt-best-wanted

Still wondering if the Cowboys would be better off with him at RT and La'el at LG.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

This was very bad from Dak...

He had about half a dozen throws vs Carolina that no NFL quarterback should miss. We make fun of knee jerking but I'm in full blown panic mode over Dak right now.

Some of those awful throws were with a relatively clean pocket, too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

He had about half a dozen throws vs Carolina that no NFL quarterback should miss. We make fun of knee jerking but I'm in full blown panic mode over Dak right now.

I was and still am a fan of Dak but I am officially worried now. I blew it off as Zeke being gone last year and missing Tyron for some games and whatever else. But he's had another full offseason to work with and had a healthy team this year minus Travis. And I know he's a big part of the line and probably the most important piece. But Looney is a suitable replacement.

I also think he has zero support system from his coaches. And his QB coach is Kellen fucking Moore. Years 2 and 3 are huge for young QBs because this is when the league gets film and will gameplan and adjust to shut you down. That is where our coaches should help him to counteract. This all plays a factor as well. But sorry ass coaches or not, some of those missed throws are unacceptable. I'm not sure what happened to the 2016 Dak.

The QB class for next year's draft is pretty piss poor by most draft expert's accounts. 

Also, anyone else worried about this OL? They looked pretty subpar and even really bad on Sunday. Tyron seems to be losing ability every year now. Connor is a huge liability. I don't think he's big enough to play guard in the NFL right now. Hopefully he can beef up in the offseasons. But without Travis next to him, he will be exposed even more. Martin is a rock as usual. Collins is pretty eh. Not as bad as Connor but not great. Looney is a suitable replacement for Travis but obviously nowhere near Travis. I am not even sure where I rank this unit right now. We are in huge trouble if this line can't get close to the levels of 2014 and 2016. The blueprint of this offense is run the ball, control the lines and the clock. Wear down the team over the game and dominate late. Well if we can't even run the ball at all, this offense is going to look Buffalo Bills bad I think. Then again, this staff didn't even stick with the run. Zeke had 15 carries. Didn't even touch the ball the final 5min of the game.

20 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Half dozen?  I think it was more like 3-4 and he has to complete those throws, no excuses and to his credit, he didn't make any.  More worrisome is some of the missed reads (he had Beasley open in the middle of his vision on the 4th down fumble), but also the offense wasn't "Dak friendly" at all.  I'm not sure we had any called QB runs other than the 2 point conversion.  We didn't get him on the edge very much by moving the pocket and we called almost no RPO's.  All of these were supposed to be staples of the new offense, instead the "new wrinkles" were more WR screens, a TE screen, and a Tavon thing.  We didn't go deep.... at all and everything was pretty much 15 yards or shorter for most primary reads.  It was a shitastic game plan executed like dog shit.  I'm sure Linehan will come out with max protect early in the first quarter and throw it deep to Thompson one time to "stretch" the defense in a hackneyed effort to avoid criticism.  If the OL is going suck, it's going to be long season.... Hell, if the OL is going to be average, it's going to be a long season....

It's one game so we'll see if they can knock the rust off, but it was a really poor effort offensively..... And our WRs and TEs didn't make many, if any, plays on their own.  As Elliott said after the game, they know they're going to load the box.  Can Linehan and thru extension Dak and the WRs make enough plays to make them pay??  I'm not sure our OL is good enough anymore to just block the shit out of everyone consistently enough, regardless if the safety sinks.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

One thing that was odd in the second half, is how little TWill was out there.  He’s probably the best on the team at finding soft areas in the zone and moving to the QB when the QB is moving around.   Was very successful doing that with Romo.  So Dak is running around and we had 3-5 plays where 2 receivers are within 4 yards of each other and not moving back to the QB.  Idiotic 

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Totally agree about flipping Collins and Williams. There were times during Collins' rookie year where he looked dominant in the run game. He was admittedly inconsistent in pass pro, but those inconsistencies come with being a rookie.  I really think Collins could've developed into an all-pro guard had he stayed there. He's a JAG as an RT and Williams is totally out of position as a guard. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

One thing that was odd in the second half, is how little TWill was out there.  He’s probably the best on the team at finding soft areas in the zone and moving to the QB when the QB is moving around.   Was very successful doing that with Romo.  So Dak is running around and we had 3-5 plays where 2 receivers are within 4 yards of each other and not moving back to the QB.  Idiotic 

That was one thing they seemed to be emphasizing in preseason, and it looked pretty nice. But then Sunday happened, and when it seemed to be the thing they should be doing, it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Totally agree about flipping Collins and Williams. There were times during Collins' rookie year where he looked dominant in the run game. He was admittedly inconsistent in pass pro, but those inconsistencies come with being a rookie.  I really think Collins could've developed into an all-pro guard had he stayed there. He's a JAG as an RT and Williams is totally out of position as a guard. 

The problem there is Williams hasn't had any significant reps at tackle, since they were trying to get him acclimated to playing guard. It's highly unlikely he would be able to just start at right tackle and look much better than Chaz Green. He would need weeks of prep while serving as a backup. If they made a move like that it would be Fleming starting at tackle. But I don't think they make that move in the immediate future. A couple more games like this and something would have to give. Let's just hope they improve.

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

While you could certainly make that argument, I believe that's more indicative of how inept our front office was.

Things under Will McClay and Stephen Jones appear to be better than under Jerry.

Yes, we should be able to take advantage of Dak's low salary, but we are still suffering from bad Romo, Dez and T Crawford contracts.  Hell, even Dan Bailey had become dead weight.  Paying a guy 3.8mil, he better be one of the top kickers every year.  He finished at 75% last year and still hasn't signed with another team.  

I'd rather them take a year or two to figure things out financially than to continue treading water by kicking bad contracts down the road. 

9 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

How are the Cowboys salary capped locked when they have no good players?  Amazing!

They aren't. They have plenty of space. Even with all the dead money. Going into next offseason, they will have a shit ton. But we will probably continue to shop at Dollar General to fill our holes and Stephen can claim how good he is at managing the cap. 

Heard a stat regarding Dak in Car that made me feel better.

With receivers he's played with before (Beas, TW, Swaim etc) he was 14 of 18.

New guys (Gallup Hurns etc) 5 of 11.

He's still got some bad misses, especially Gallup on the crossing route, but I thought it was interesting to look at it from that angle