Rap City: The Basement

BurntOrange&White

I have owned my general ignorance of rap on this the old site many times, but every once in a while I hear something I really love.  While I guess it's probably more hip hop than rap, I'm currently digging "Kawhi" by SA/Austin act Third Root.  Any recs on who else I might like based on this tune?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have owned my general ignorance of rap on this the old site many times, but every once in a while I hear something I really love.  While I guess it's probably more hip hop than rap, I'm currently digging "Kawhi" by SA/Austin act Third Root.  Any recs on who else I might like based on this tune?

jimmyjazz, not sure if this is something you may like, but it was one of the first thing that popped into my head when I listened to that song. It's by a guy nicknamed Apathy and titled "Jack Ruby". I love the sample used in the song and how the song sounds kind of dark. I'm not the biggest fan of underground, although they do have some great lyricist, but I like this song a lot.... https://youtu.be/8k9R9MbNqA8

Eta - sorry, I'm on phone and haven't figured out how to embed it in post like you did. 

Edited by SqueezeDeez

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm currently digging "Kawhi" by SA/Austin act Third Root.  Any recs on who else I might like based on this tune?

Not hip-hop but the primary sample they use in that song is from an Ocote Soul Sounds song. It's a pretty cool band if you like Latin jazz -Afro beat kinda stuff.

As far as hip hop, I've been listening to a lot of older instrumentals lately like stuff from J Dilla.

Wrt to posting vids, it looks like you can just copy/paste directly into the text box and it will automatically embed for you. I'm on Android but have noticed someone else say the same.

Edited by D_Goose