On the Mensa train or not?

Zavala

On the Mensa train or not?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe a Tom Herman led Texas team can compete for National Titles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, waiting to see how this season plays out
    • Not sure, let's see where we are at after year 3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/14/18 at 08:02 AM

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I voted no because nothing I've seen from him as a head coach at Houston or Texas indicates that he has what it takes to coach a team to a national championship.

This. The dude shows no signs of being a championship caliber coach. He actually shows signs of being a subpar coach.

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

if that dumbass Charlie Strong got 3 years anyone hired should get 3 years.

Why are people so set on answering a different question?

Will he get 3 years? Sure. Was that the question?  Nope.

Is he going to get us to titletown? Fuck no.

In summary, he will get 3 years, and that means we'll still be wandering further into the desert a full decade since we mattered.

• Like 3

I voted for waiting to see how the season plays out, but the reality based on his past history, his attitude and what I have seen at Texas so far is I have serious doubts he will ever win championships and right now I have some doubt that he will even be a good coach at Texas

but there was some improvement from week one last year, but that improvement did not last I am willing to see if it last this year (I do not think there will really be much improvement or that it will last though)

so far he has shown 100% of the issues I was concerned with before he was hired and nothing positive at all

I voted no. I was under the impression Herman was an offensive guru. He has a horrible OC and won't do anything about it. What's frustrating is see what other coaches and OC's in the Big 12 can do with lesser talent.

I bought into Herman. I was wrong. A NC caliber coach doesn't bring a team unprepared. Yesterday was an embarrassment.

Last, I thought Ehlinger would make a good jump in year 2. Herman sure as shit ain't no QB whisperer.

• Like 3

I chose option 2 because that’s like my opinion man. I could’ve chosen option 3 because this is the year that will define him at Texas. If he doesn’t go on an incredible run and somehow win 10 games (lol I know right) then i think I’ll have seen all I need to see. Barring the above stated happening then next year is just a lost year, bc “all coaches should get 3 years bs”. 

Also it’s time we quit worrying about getting the next “up and coming” coaches. We need a proven winner at this level. Texas is not a learn on the job type position. Laugh at the aggy’s all we want and I’m sure they’ll be pretty bad this year but at least they’ve completely bought in (sold their souls) to attempt to be a formidable football program. It’s time for Texas to decide whether or not we want to compete at the highest level of college football or even athletics in general. Or are we willing to accept that being above board ethically very well could mean that we’ll be second tier athletically?

Voted no, but to be fair there isn't another coach that would come here and win a Natty. Texas doesn't operate the same way as Alabama, Ohio State etc. and I am good with that. That said we shouldn't be getting beat down by the teams  that we have for the last 10 years though. Jesus, we should be able to get to 8-9 wins a year on a semi consistence basis, go to a decent bowl and have our players not be an embarrassment. I for one could live with this.

Herman is 7 and 7 so far at Texas.  His staff is woefully inept, and he doesn't hold them accountable.  The offensive play calling shows no awareness of game situation or personnel strengths and weaknesses.  Defenders start too many games out of position and looking lost.  He doesn't inspire confidence and pride in the team, the staff, or the fanbase. 

Other than that, I guess he's ok.

• Like 2

We have college football right where we want it. Our plan the whole time was to become unimaginably insignificant, to the point where other teams stopped treating us like their Super Bowl. Our team doesn’t give a shit about the games outside of a few games each year and it’s hard to compete with a bunch of heartless pansies against a team that’s in their Super Bowl 

Never was. Dude felt like a fraud. Figured out how to motivate underrated and underhyped kids to win 2 big games in 2 years to get himself a $5 million contract at Texas. That was his plan and we bought it without even considering anyone else. Ignored or brushed away all the red flags 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

I've never really been on the mensa train.  I have always had some doubts, but they were more along the lines of "nothing I have seen guarantees that this is the guy."  Now I have even graver doubts.  Is it possible he pulls the chestnuts out of the fire, yes.  Will he, I dunno man, I'm worried.

Pros:  All the tertiary things surrounding a program, such as facilities improvements, social media, recruiting staff/organization, etc., he seems to have going in the right direction.  Appears to be run logically, professionally, and in some areas with some vision.  

Cons:  Either didn't have the pull, insight, or was too insecure to go after a more seasoned coaching staff.  To make matters worse, after a year of evidence, he was reluctant or unwilling to make necessary changes.  On offense, his forte', it's pretty obvious Shane or Cam Rising are the better options for *this* team.  Our WRs are the strength on offense and the O-line does look improved, especially at pass pro.  At the end of the UM game they were dropping 8 and daring Sam to throw.  He threw 2 picks.  TH is paid to understand which QB fits the team better and made the wrong call.  Just as he did last year when the O-line was in shambles and it was obvious we needed a QB who could tuck it and go.

Outlook:  TH is approaching this like he has a 5 year contract.  Reality is he's got 3.  Hopefully he understands that because if not he'll be gone by the end of next year.  

• Like 4

I voted "no" because Mensa is not football smart. He doesn't play the percentages, and he has zero clue about how to fit personnel to scheme. Zero.

The smartest football coaches are guys like Tom Landry. Tom almost always took the points. He almost never went for two - a low percentage decision - because Tom apparently figured he might need that one point late in the game.

Tomwould take the 3 with 4 minutes left in the 4th, and 4th and 3 on the opponent's 21, behind by 4. Then he'd kick the winning FG with 20 seconds left in the game.

I can't tell you how many times, early in the 4th quarter, I'd bitch at Tom for taking the 3, or the 1 extra point, instead of going for two, when it was so obvious that "I" was right, but we took Tom's easy points instead.

But here come the Cowboys winning the game with seconds left because Tom took the 3 a few minutes earlier.

Tom taught me something: Play the percentages and take the points.

Last year how many times did Mensa go for it on 4th down, deep in the opponent's end, instead of taking the 3? I still say Mensa lost USC because he f-ing refused to take the FGs, our crappy FG kicker notwithstanding, and went for the low percentage 4th down conversion attempt.

And this year here we go again. Mensa was stupid not to take the 1 at the end of the first half against MY. That mistake didn't figure into the loss this time, but it was still a stupid coaching call.

Mensa my ass.

• Like 1

Anything is possible.  A better poll question  would have been should we just cut ties at the end of the season if he’s 6-6 again (which looks somewhat optimistic at this point).  I would say no provided that CDC can get him to do what Patterson did and bring in a real OC who can run his own system with hands off.  Is that likely ?  Of course not.  So I would say yes.  But it’s not going to happen.   He’s not going to get fired this year and CDC will be doing a search in 2019. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Never was. Dude felt like a fraud. Figured out how to motivate underrated and underhyped kids to win 2 big games in 2 years to get himself a $5 million contract at Texas. That was his plan and we bought it without even considering anyone else. Ignored or brushed away all the red flags 

This is the correct answer.  Never could figure out why most thought he was the savior of Texas football.  Fuck that prick.

And I voted NO.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Pros:  All the tertiary things surrounding a program, such as facilities improvements, social media, recruiting staff/organization, etc., he seems to have going in the right direction.  Appears to be run logically, professionally, and in some areas with some vision.  

Cons:  Either didn't have the pull, insight, or was too insecure to go after a more seasoned coaching staff.  To make matters worse, after a year of evidence, he was reluctant or unwilling to make necessary changes.  On offense, his forte', it's pretty obvious Shane or Cam Rising are the better options for *this* team.  Our WRs are the strength on offense and the O-line does look improved, especially at pass pro.  At the end of the UM game they were dropping 8 and daring Sam to throw.  He threw 2 picks.  TH is paid to understand which QB fits the team better and made the wrong call.  Just as he did last year when the O-line was in shambles and it was obvious we needed a QB who could tuck it and go.

Outlook:  TH is approaching this like he has a 5 year contract.  Reality is he's got 3.  Hopefully he understands that because if not he'll be gone by the end of next year.  

Good post, and can be summed up by many old-school Texas sayings including "all hat and no cattle" and "all sizzle and no steak."

I hope Herman is sending Greg Ward, Tony Levine, and Ed Oliver most of his yearly salary because those three guys are the only reason he is in Austin today. He rode Ward to two upsets, Ward was a Levine recruit, and the flukey recruitment of Oliver tricked people into thinking he was some kind of recruiting witch. 

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

He's Charlie Strong 2.0 at this point. Both had similar debut seasons that ended in a shit bowl except Herman won his and Strong got blown out. Both start off the 2nd season with a bad loss. Strong's was bad because of how bad ND buttfucked us. Herman's was bad because it was a shit Maryland team and this was our 2nd year in a row losing to them. Not to mention they have an interim coach. So our Mensa $5mill a year coach with all this hype can't even beat Maryland without a real coach.

Herman won't even sniff a Big 12 title, much less national championships.