On the Mensa train or not?

Zavala

On the Mensa train or not?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe a Tom Herman led Texas team can compete for National Titles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, waiting to see how this season plays out
    • Not sure, let's see where we are at after year 3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/14/2018 at 08:02 AM

After the way they started the game by sleepwalking and going away from the uptempo AND locking Ingram in a closet after he was gashing Maryland, I'm off the train. This is like deja vu, we've all seen this story before. 

Still the same bonehead mistakes, same stupid personnel decisions. I think I might be more open to doing other things with my Saturdays. Mensa doesn't have enough skins on the wall as a HC to be this arrogant. His attitude is one reason why I don't think he'll be flexible enough to say "I made a mistake" or "I fucked up, I need to make a change" because that would be admitting a mistake. 

Herman is so full of shit. No fucking body is impressed with his brain skills. He comes across as if he is still a pussy hunter. His vanity is wearing thin with many of us.

The season is by no means lost. Mostly because it just fucking started. But, rather then fucking up a metaphor on Steinbeck literature, how about teaching our guys fundamental football.

And play the best player. Hermans failure to go back to Ingram was inexcusable after his initial success.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Playing not to lose instead of playing to win isn't "playing the percentages" nor is it winning football.

I will grant you Tom Landry never went for 2, but that was less a strategic decision and more that he stopped coaching in 1988 and the NFL added the 2pc in 1994.

I don't think it was football smart to pass up 2 close FG opportunities against USC last year.

I don't think it was football smart to pass on the extra point at the end of the first half against MY.

Other examples exist from last year as well.

It's about scoring points.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

I don't think it was football smart to pass up 2 close FG opportunities against USC last year.
I don't think it was football smart to pass on the extra point at the end of the first half against MY.
Other examples exist from last year as well.
It's about scoring points.
I guess we can agree to disagree.

Nah it's about winning games. Or to put it in a "scoring points" mindset, say you are 90% to hit the FG and 40% to get the TD, which scores more points? It's easy to do one or both of being risk-averse or results-oriented (gambles that work are smart, those that fail are stupid).

10 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Playing not to lose instead of playing to win isn't "playing the percentages" nor is it winning football.

I will grant you Tom Landry never went for 2, but that was less a strategic decision and more that he stopped coaching in 1988 and the NFL added the 2pc in 1994.

Shhhhhhh, dammit!  He was on a roll.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XOVERX said:

I voted "no" because Mensa is not football smart. He doesn't play the percentages, and he has zero clue about how to fit personnel to scheme. Zero.

The smartest football coaches are guys like Tom Landry. Tom almost always took the points. He almost never went for two - a low percentage decision - because Tom apparently figured he might need that one point late in the game.

Tomwould take the 3 with 4 minutes left in the 4th, and 4th and 3 on the opponent's 21, behind by 4. Then he'd kick the winning FG with 20 seconds left in the game.

I can't tell you how many times, early in the 4th quarter, I'd bitch at Tom for taking the 3, or the 1 extra point, instead of going for two, when it was so obvious that "I" was right, but we took Tom's easy points instead.

But here come the Cowboys winning the game with seconds left because Tom took the 3 a few minutes earlier.

Tom taught me something: Play the percentages and take the points.

Last year how many times did Mensa go for it on 4th down, deep in the opponent's end, instead of taking the 3? I still say Mensa lost USC because he f-ing refused to take the FGs, our crappy FG kicker notwithstanding, and went for the low percentage 4th down conversion attempt.

And this year here we go again. Mensa was stupid not to take the 1 at the end of the first half against MY. That mistake didn't figure into the loss this time, but it was still a stupid coaching call.

Mensa my ass.

Now, please continue with your Tom Landry memories.

As I've stated, actual intelligent people don't need special cards to show others how smart they are. I'm about as far fucking off of the MENSA train as one can get.

I guess it could be theoretically possible for Herman to win back some of my support, but after yesterday, hiring (and trying to keep) Casey fucking Horny, retaining Beck/Mehringer/Warehime/Giles, and continuing to play Porter, I am seriously hard pressed to think of what he could do to pull that off.

traincrash2.gif

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

Option #3. Right now signs are not good. I mean I get that maybe we had one coach who could be great everywhere else but here, but now two? I am starting to worry that the problem might not be with the head coaches. But hey if we end up the regular season 7-5 and win whatever Corporate Sponsor Bowl we end up at then I will be satisfied that the rot is starting to be cleared out. Well ok and start pulling off these close games instead of suddenly turning it over constantly when the game is on the line.

But man you guys come up with lame ass jokes and then keep telling them until they go from lame until they make me want to rip my eyes out. Can we stop with the lame ass Mensa thing? It was painfully unfunny the first time it was made. I get it. Tom Herman is not a genius.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slade said:

After the way they started the game by sleepwalking and going away from the uptempo AND locking Ingram in a closet after he was gashing Maryland, I'm off the train. This is like deja vu, we've all seen this story before. 

Still the same bonehead mistakes, same stupid personnel decisions. I think I might be more open to doing other things with my Saturdays. Mensa doesn't have enough skins on the wall as a HC to be this arrogant. His attitude is one reason why I don't think he'll be flexible enough to say "I made a mistake" or "I fucked up, I need to make a change" because that would be admitting a mistake. 

He doesn't have any skins on the wall, unless you are talking about a dead motivational rabbit.  

Great fucking job btw, try to show off intellectually in a presser and flop.  Next time he talks about hydration I'm sure we will hear about Brawndo and electrolytes.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I voted to reserve my right to see how this season plays out, but if that wasn't an option I'd have gone with "No." I guess it's possible that Saturday ends up being a complete and total aberration in what is otherwise viewed as a successful season in which the program makes its first meaningful progress in five years, but the trend lines aren't encouraging. I hung on a little too long with Strong, so maybe that is influencing my outlook here, but there was absolutely nothing on Saturday, even if we'd won the game, to indicate that this is even a B12 championship level staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOODY said:

Nope, Herman better win out to make me change my mind.  Here comes the neg votes but someone has to speak the truth about this program.

So if we don't win a national championship you are out? That's your position?  Everyone should rightfully be pissed off but this place has become fucking Texags level of full retard.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So if we don't win a national championship you are out? That's your position?  Everyone should rightfully be pissed off but this place has become fucking Texags level of full retard.

We are going a bit overboard.  The season is salvagable.  But given our post-Strong PTSD, this event really looks to be rather long-term defining.

I keep seeing reference to "systemic problems" within the AD infecting the football program with some sort of long-term, coach-transcending malaise. Just going by "correlation," there seems to be an element of truth to this.  While I agree that the AD is often FUBAR, I think we have the right guy in place to unfuck it.  Moreover, I don't see how that would extend to the football program.  Perhaps it's really just not getting the right coaches that can recruit the right talent, develop it, and, apparently importantly, evaluate what they see in intra-team scrimmage and practice.  Seems like both Herman and Strong were deceived by what they saw during the off-season, or weren't observing in the proper way, thus overestimating positives, underestimating negatives, and poorly preparing as a result.

It appears that there was a serious disconnect between what Herman thought he saw in the off-season and what he put on the field Saturday.  So he is in a state of disbelief and dissonance, which I suppose is understandable.  But how he got there is very troubling.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

Never was. Dude felt like a fraud. Figured out how to motivate underrated and underhyped kids to win 2 big games in 2 years to get himself a $5 million contract at Texas. That was his plan and we bought it without even considering anyone else. Ignored or brushed away all the red flags 

This right here. I keep hearing stories from people that have interacted with him how awkward, strange, and insecure the dude is. Then I got to thinking about his track record. The dude finished tied for 5th place in the AAC his final season. FIFTH. PLACE. Why the fuck did we get excited to hire that mediocre shit??

Edited by Otter

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Of course not, it was hyperbole.  God you Herman dick holders.

You really think this team is going to be 4-1 with the upcoming schedule?  Do you?  It could happen and if it did I would eat a huge crow and beg for forgiveness.   If that is to happen Herman is going to have to take over the offense because this offense, sucks.

12 minutes ago, MOODY said:

You really think this team is going to be 4-1 with the upcoming schedule?  Do you?  It could happen and if it did I would eat a huge crow and beg for forgiveness.   If that is to happen Herman is going to have to take over the offense because this offense, sucks.

When the fuck did I say that?  I didn't think we would go 4-1 in that stretch before the season started so certainly don't after what we saw Saturday.  I have no idea if Herman is the guy long term guy.  But we better hope he is because if this year continues to go like Charlie's 2nd year went we are going to continue to be in football purgatory for the foreseeable future.  You don't build winning programs changing coaches every 2/3 years.

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Bro, you know he didn't win the AAC in his final year at Houston right? Yet we fucking hired him. Look it up. Sad but true.

Yep. Fucking Baylor's coach won the AAC championship that year. And we hired the dude that tied for 5th place. Fucking brilliant.

was but not. been off for like 7 years now i think anyway. the culture of how FB works with corches and friends and suck on offense is too stupid to pay attention to. enjoying the brief time of FSU and VT. just rather watch other suck than ours. too many resources to suck this bad, over and over again.

Voted No. It was a yes or no question. I also voted with the thought of the question being about conference titles as well. Cant see anything after 14 games that shows me he will be more than an 8 win at most coach.  Sucks.

Hook 'em, you sons of bitches!!!!

Mack gets a brainfart every year vs OU but at least finished with 10+ wins.

Everybody gets a 1 game pass.   (this wasn't the year TX was expected to go undefeated). 

Unfortunately Herman used that up, in the 1st game, against Maryland of all opponents.....

The goodwill is up.  He'd better play above expectations for the next 4 games.  Not necessarily win them all - but play above expectations, and show none of the idiocity in team/game management displayed vs UMD

12 hours ago, tjhooker said:

17 yes votes yet not 1 making the case on here he is leading us to a NC.

I don't know that he can develop Sam into a great college QB, but I do think he can develop a great college QB from a guy he recruits. Unfortunately, starting Sam as a true Freshman wasn't the best for his career. Similar to what happened to Shane. 

That's half the equation, keeping TO is the other half of the equation. Also, his focus on OL and DL will continue to keep the team strong. I just hope he can keep Hand and Giles.

Unless he turns this year’s team around (as in 10-2 turn around), I want him gone.

There have been absolutely no improvements from last year, that are obvious.

Stupid mistakes, horrible player management and mind-boggling horrible play calling.

same shit different year 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

CAN it? Sure. He's smart enough to win, he's pissy enough to win, and he's capable enough of instilling discipline to win.

WILL it? Fuck naw. He's too narcissistic to win, and he doesn't show a propensity to learn from mistakes.

I don't mind him being a dickhead. I just mind him being a belly-button lint obsessed dickhead.

20 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Who the fuck are the 10 morons that voted yes?  Show yourselves and explain.

I voted yes. 

Because I'm not overreacting to one game and the revolving door of head coaches is a sure fire way to mediocracy.  

Will he bring home a championship? I don't know.  Can he build a team that will contend for one?  If he can turn in a solid season and recruit like he did last year, it's certainly possible.

Hell, I'm not sure Saban could turn things around in 3 years, but the negativity and entitlement expressed here over the last few days is aggie-esque and that shit's contagious bro. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I voted yes. 

Because I'm not overreacting to one game and the revolving door of head coaches is a sure fire way to mediocracy.  

Will he bring home a championship? I don't know.  Can he build a team that will contend for one?  If he can turn in a solid season and recruit like he did last year, it's certainly possible.

Hell, I'm not sure Saban could turn things around in 3 years, but the negativity and entitlement expressed here over the last few days is aggie-esque and that shit's contagious bro. 

It's not that people expect him to turn everything around immediately. The reason people don't have faith in him is that he hired a shit offensive coordinator that everyone knew was shit. The offensive coordinator was proven to be shit in the first season. And Herman inexplicably chose to retain said shit offensive coordinator despite it being obvious to anyone that even casually follows this football team. It is, quite literally, the exact same thing that got our last incompetent head coach fired. We have no faith because we've experienced this exact same things before.

Also, with respect to his ability to recruit like he did last year, why on earth would any offensive recruit come to Texas? 

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

How in the fuck is it moronic to think that? Because of his time at Houston? 

No, because of the creativity he used to show as an OC. His personnel decisions are what is sinking him, and there is a chance that after we fire him (because he won't learn from those mistakes here, and it would be equally moronic to wait a long time to confirm that probability), he will learn from them somewhere.

He's a smart guy who is currently outsmarting himself. Sometimes those guys change, sometimes they don't. But they have to get fired first, usually.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I voted yes because he can win a national title. He won't, but it's moronic to think he doesn't have more ability than Jimbo Aggins or Gene Chizik.

You can want him gone, and still see his potential. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Can't beat Maryland but can win a national title. Got it

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

No, because of the creativity he used to show as an OC. His personnel decisions are what is sinking him, and there is a chance that after we fire him (because he won't learn from those mistakes here, and it would be equally moronic to wait a long time to confirm that probability), he will learn from them somewhere.

He's a smart guy who is currently outsmarting himself. Sometimes those guys change, sometimes they don't. But they have to get fired first, usually.

How about if we just kick the shit out of him until he learns from his mistakes? That might speed up the learning process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Can't beat Maryland but can win a national title. Got it

Dude, please. That's about as logical as a middle school girl on her first period. Sucking, even in one season plus one game, does not define one's potential.

I'm already on record as wanting to fire the guy, but I'd like to do so in a logical manner, not all estrogen'd up like that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So he’s Jason Garrett with fewer skins on the wall? 

2 hours ago, jettrink said:

Fuck you Walden, you pussy-headed motherfucker.  You are what wrong with the University of Texas at Austin.  You and your ilk need to get fuck outta here.  BTW, no offense to real pussy intended.

I love you, too, sweetie. By the way, that's someone else's neg rep. I think you're just adorable.

• Haha 1