On the Mensa train or not?

Zavala

On the Mensa train or not?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe a Tom Herman led Texas team can compete for National Titles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, waiting to see how this season plays out
    • Not sure, let's see where we are at after year 3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/14/18 at 08:02 AM

TH works his ass off cultivating disdain. It’s not easy to keep that up 24/7 in season, but he is on track for disdain perfection.

Just consider how hard it is to smirk all, the time, on camera, thru a variety of questions..... the focus and concentration to hold a smirk for that long , and come back to it...well that’s something. He definitely  has  the  “it” factor for repelling affection and admiration...not at all a simple task. Worth every penny....

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Nah it's about winning games. Or to put it in a "scoring points" mindset, say you are 90% to hit the FG and 40% to get the TD, which scores more points? It's easy to do one or both of being risk-averse or results-oriented (gambles that work are smart, those that fail are stupid).

You make two suppositions, yet present only conjecture, not evidence.

Run the actual numbers (easily counted), and get back to me.

Unless he turns this year’s team around (as in 10-2 turn around), I want him gone.
There have been absolutely no improvements from last year, that are obvious.
Stupid mistakes, horrible player management and mind-boggling horrible play calling.
same shit different year 
Cant fire a coach after two years, sends the wrong message to potential hires.

That message being if you suck and lose to teams like Maryland twice in nearly identical format you will get fired?
I'm okay with that and don't want a coach threatened by that message.
Firing a coach after 12 or so games is a great strategy to get top level coaching to take a look at an opening on any level.

I'm in the wait-and-see camp.  I feel about the same way as I did when Charlie Strong's Longhorns lost to Notre Dame in 2015.  It was more of the same as the year before -- shitty unimaginative offense with a lack of discipline and organization.  I guess you could say that Notre Dame was significantly better than Maryland.  But it was still the first game of the second season, and I wasn't on the "Fire Charlie" bandwagon. 

The thing is, beyond being a smirking hair-plugged douchebag, MensaTom's giving out the exact same bullshit about fixing things and things looking really good in practice, blah blah blah... and then showing nearly identical ineptitude at play-calling and personnel choices. The only thing you can give him a +1 over Charlie for, is that he hasn't displayed the vacant thousand-yard stare during the games, and you aren't embarrassed for him in his PCs.

The one other thing he has over Charlie is that he's young enough that you can expect that he might learn and change. 

About football, I mean, not Life Its Own Self. Pretty sure he's always going to be a douchebag - but if he wins, I'm not sure I actually give a fuck.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Can't beat Maryland but can win a national title. Got it

Serious question, how much better is this team with an elite QB? Review any Surly football thread and one would conclude that a universe doesn’t exist where Greg Davis has any ties to a championship winning team.

Short of an unprecedented meltdown where we win only a couple, Herman is our coach next year, so that is at least how long he will get. (Sadly, I am not sure he gets fired at 4-8 without some off-field issue.) He may win enough to get beyond year 3 and at that point we don't know who will be on the field or who will be the OC. Without added conditions, I think it is possible that a Cam Rising or Roschon Johnson could lead a future Herman coached team to a title, so I while I am not confident in Herman himself, I won't definitively say he can't win a title here.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:15 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

I voted yes because he can win a national title. He won't, but it's moronic to think he doesn't have more ability than Jimbo Aggins or Gene Chizik.

You can want him gone, and still see his potential. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Give me VY, Famous Jameis, or Cam, and my fat ass could win an NC at some school like Duke. The challenge is to find a coach who doesn't have to have superman as QB1. 

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We will struggle to be bowl eligible and could easily start 1-4. Anyone who watched us play MD and thinks differently is just whistling past the graveyard. I’m off the Herman train and remain envious of programs who hire coaches who win big in their first couple years. 

2-6 heading into the WVU game which is a toss-up to me.  We have to win that game to make a bowl.  I'm not spending the week between Christmas and New Year's with extended family.  

8 hours ago, Tex Long said:

The only thing you can give him a +1 over Charlie for, is that he hasn't displayed the vacant thousand-yard stare during the games, and you aren't embarrassed for him in his PCs.

That bullshit with Of Mice and Men and "our players trying too hard" was plenty embarrassing. 

• Like 1

We need a stud QB to be great again. More than half a dozen QBs have started for Texas since Colt, most of which were ranked 4 and 5 stars on recruiting services. Best one we’ve had out of the bunch was arguably David Ash, and he was a 3 star playing with concussions half the time. Meanwhile our conference rivals that have had 10 win seasons had QBs like Treyvone Boykin, Baker Mayfield, RGIII, and I think okie lite had a stud QB too during their semi recent 10 win season. On Shaggy people kept saying we just need a QB that can “drive the bus” but is not needed to make plays...how has that worked out for us this decade? Only team that can get away with a mediocre game manager as QB is Alabama but now with Tua they have a real stud so none of this national title hunt bs really matters since they’re a shoe in the next couple years anyway. In the meantime, we need to continue to search for that stud QB whether he’s already on our roster (Cameron Rising) coming next year (Roschan Johnson) or an up and coming 9th grader already tearing it up on Varsity. Until we find that stud QB, AND A QB COACH/OC THAT WONT BREAK HIS SPIRITS AND DESTROY HIS CONFIDENCE, we will not see a 10 win season until then.

Edited by perfectchaos007

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

That bullshit with Of Mice and Men and "our players trying too hard" was plenty embarrassing. 

I played JV baseball with this kid whose dad was convinced he should have been on varsity, even as a sophomore who was hitting .240. HIs dad told the coaches it was because the pitching was too slow. 

I'm in the wait-and-see camp.  I feel about the same way as I did when Charlie Strong's Longhorns lost to Notre Dame in 2015.  It was more of the same as the year before -- shitty unimaginative offense with a lack of discipline and organization.  I guess you could say that Notre Dame was significantly better than Maryland.  But it was still the first game of the second season, and I wasn't on the "Fire Charlie" bandwagon. 

I’m the same. It’s early to call for firing, I’ll reevaluate at end of year. Herman has already shown to be a great recruiter so if he can get his offense squared away we should be in good shape for the future.

I think we lost to Maryland because they told Sam not to run it. There were multiple times he could have tucked and run but kept sliding sideways to try and find a receiver. He doesn’t so that well. Sams only way to be effective is to play like Tebow and look at one route, if it’s not wide open then run it.

Staff is scared of Sams concussion issues, and rightfully so, but he isn’t a pocket passer so the staff and Sam need to make a decision, either run it with abandon and risk concussion or mice in to another QB

I voted yes because the question was phrased using the word "can".  Had it been "will" I would have selected the wait and see option.  I think he will need to make some coaching changes (OC and the various position coaches), figure out personnel selection during games, and find a QB.  Those are three big things to do and I doubt that they can or would happen this year, but I think things will get better and we will probably win some games that no one expects us to.  The O line pass protection was better and I am not sure there is a position on offense that isn't better than last year (although last years offense was bad, so its not saying much).  I think the defense is slightly worse.  The rest of the big 12 got worse this year too, with most of the big name senior QBs moving on (that also happened at USC).

I'd rather be on the menstrual train. At least then, we'd only have to deal with the insanity for one week a month.

We're all stuck on the Hermenstrual train with a psychopathic conductor who's heading full apeed ahead towards the collapsed bridge while all the engineers around him are begging for him to apply the brakes. This should turn out well.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, TXSooner518 said:

Playing not to lose instead of playing to win isn't "playing the percentages" nor is it winning football.

I will grant you Tom Landry never went for 2, but that was less a strategic decision and more that he stopped coaching in 1988 and the NFL added the 2pc in 1994.

Bears "played the percentages" and "took the points" last night and got f'd in the a. Results notwithstanding, CLEARLY better to take two shots at 1 yard to win the game, rather than attempt a FG which guarantees Aaron Rodgers has a chance to beat you. 

Both CLE and PIT hurt their win equity also by going gutless and settling for 40+ yard FGs in a rainstorm instead of trying to get closer.

Try to WIN THE GAME FOR YOURSELF instead of playing scared and risk-averse and gutless.

I have to admit that watching this momentum aggy has manufactured is making me that more antsy. Honestly, it feels like us last year. Playing USC tough reminds me of the Clemson game. The recruiting highs, etc. 

Now, if aggy has a good season this year . . . and I still think they will not... we have a problem. 

Likewise, if Tom can't get us to 8 wins this year, we got a problem. 

I've been a fan of Tom but for, 1.) Tim Beck hire, and 2.) Bullshit losses against Maryland. 

I'm giving him a pass on Tulsa. 

didn't see this thread, didn't vote...don't care that I am bandwagoning, 

yes

I agree with Kasey Studdard that Herman is one of the premier offensive minds in the college game, and I think that he will get his ego managed and begin to put his stamp on our offense more and more....with the defensive backs we have and the Oline getting a clue, this team can be elite again in a year or two.  Firing the guy would only set us back all over again. I want him to be the coach here. 

I like that he is an asshole to the media, too.

Arrogance requires wins, and he just got one with all of the lights on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

didn't see this thread, didn't vote...don't care that I am bandwagoning, 

yes

I agree with Kasey Studdard that Herman is one of the premier offensive minds in the college game, and I think that he will get his ego managed and begin to put his stamp on our offense more and more....with the defensive backs we have and the Oline getting a clue, this team can be elite again in a year or two.  Firing the guy would only set us back all over again. I want him to be the coach here. 

I like that he is an asshole to the media, too.

Arrogance requires wins, and he just got one with all of the lights on.

I think that elite offensive mind is going to get the no lube treatment next weekend. If we look semi-competent next weekend and put together sustained drives I will be shocked and come back here for some crow.

• Like 1