On the Mensa train or not?

Zavala

On the Mensa train or not?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe a Tom Herman led Texas team can compete for National Titles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, waiting to see how this season plays out
    • Not sure, let's see where we are at after year 3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/14/18 at 08:02 AM

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I was lined up for tickets until that 21 point meltdown.  I will say that he seems to be on a better trajectory than I gave him credit for.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ll eat as much crow as y’all want to shovel on to my plate. 

Kinda think we’re back.

BACK TO WORK, YEAH

• 4 weeks later...

The poll was closed before the start of the USC game when we were 1-1 btw. 

Still on, comfy, ready to watch the team continue to grow under TH. 

No these two bullshit last second losses didn't change my mind. Lets see how they respond the rest of the season, we win a decent bowl game, I'm a happy camper for this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still on the train as long as it's moving forward and seems to be gaining momentum..

If it parks at the station for a bit I might step off and grab a snack, but reserve the right to jump back on board if the whistle sounds...and/or jump off again if it's creeping along too slowly.

Does that answer the OP guestion?

On 9/2/2018 at 11:55 PM, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I voted no. I was under the impression Herman was an offensive guru. He has a horrible OC and won't do anything about it. What's frustrating is see what other coaches and OC's in the Big 12 can do with lesser talent.

I bought into Herman. I was wrong. A NC caliber coach doesn't bring a team unprepared. Yesterday was an embarrassment.

Last, I thought Ehlinger would make a good jump in year 2. Herman sure as shit ain't no QB whisperer.

Just bringing this back around

Edited by texifornia

I feel like Herman is not an elite coach yet, but has the potential to learn from mistakes and become one eventually.

The Big 12 championship game was concerning however... he should not have completely abandoned the run on offense like that, and he should have blitzed much more often on defense. As previously stated, the lack of in game adjustments is concerning.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I was just having fun with the first hot take I saw. Sam was definitely butt in the UMD game.

Sam was basically the same guy in the first three quarters of Maryland that he was in the four games that followed (which we won). In the fourth quarter, one of his interceptions was deflected, the other probably was his fault but there also seemed to be some sort of miscommunication/misunderstanding on the route. He really wasn't that terrible.

11 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I feel like Herman is not an elite coach yet, but has the potential to learn from mistakes and become one eventually.

Agree with this!  He’s not a finished product. You can see a lot of things done this year that weren’t done last year. He’s still growing and figureing it out. We’re in a pretty good spot if he this capable of a HC and still noticeably getting better. 

Not as happy with the likely ending record as I hoped to be after some of the surprising early season wins (some of which got less surprising as the season went on), but anyone with eyes could see that our weakest points last year were significantly improved this year.

Granted, the baseline was pretty damn low, but our oline, running game, qb and receivers were all notably better this year.  That's not by accident. 

Unfortunately, we had a surprising new crop of problems show up in the defensive side, and we'll have to see if Todd Orlando is the real deal or Manny Diaz part two.  I think he'll figure it out and be a good one. 

I saw an aggy post on Twitter that it's funny how optimistic we are after this year given our record may end up close to our 2013 record that got Mack fired.  One of the first replies pointed out that we lost our games in 2013 by an avg of three tds.  I could give a shit about moral victories, but you can also use your eyes and see we're competitive in every game we play, which hasn't been the case for a long while. 

Recruiting is also going very well and it staff has shown an ability to find and bring in juco and grad transfer talent where we need it.  We're the most physical version of Texas I can remember since 2005, which is a nice change. 

We're not there yet, and Tom may not get it done, but he's sure as hell earned another season and, unless the wheels fall off next year, probably another couple of seasons to get us there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i am on the train because i have seen what else is out there as coaches. and it ain't easy here at UT. but Herman definitely has a few things he needs to shore up in his game day coaching that could keep him from reaching elite status. i do think he will learn. i mean he is pretty new at head coaching. it is good for him to figure out all this shit his first few years while he is rebuilding the program.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...