Anybody ever built a hunting cabin?

markstanco

Trying to save money for 2 members that are pressed for cash currently. I'd like to do a turn key building that is 15x36 with a loft but that may be too much bank for the other 2. Those run about 10k delivered.

Anyhow, 4 guys, we all have boys. Unlikely we are all down there at the same time. But, curious if anybody has built one with the kits out there. We could care less about a toilet but will install a portable AC and heater.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:06 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Maybe find a cheap old travel trailer?  Plenty can be had for 4-8k depending on how size and general shittiness.  

I would think this is your best way to go.  You just need a roof, 'lectricity, and beds.  You can get all of those from a shitty not-even-street-legal travel trailer.  Here's one that's just $8700, and there's plenty cheaper out there.

00b0b_dFZ1A47zm3P_600x450.jpg

We bought a 12'x26' Derksen cabin and had it delivered for around $7500. Still have to finish it out. We are in around $8500 pretty much finished out but still need to add plugs and stuff that will be another couple hundred. I did have some of the materials from another deal I built. You can build the same thing we have for close to half I would bet. I am just lazy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 10:16 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

We bought a 12'x26' Derksen cabin and had it delivered for around $7500. Still have to finish it out. We are in around $8500 pretty much finished out but still need to add plugs and stuff that will be another couple hundred. I did have some of the materials from another deal I built. You can build the same thing we have for close to half I would bet. I am just lazy.

Man I was thinking of doing the same thing on the 50 acres I just bought between Sonora and the Devils River. That or a Yurt

If you are comfortable doing some of the work. Shipping containers are the way to go. Especially since they are stackable. And come in 40’, 45’ and 53’.

Obviously if your needs require it to be in a remote location the cost would offset any value of using the container. If not, they can be had cheap. Easy to work on, or modify.