[Video]Sam Ehlinger vs Maryland

cdain3

This guy can’t hit a WR screen pass or throw in the flats to save his life.  He was avg to below avg on the intermediate and deep routes.  Threw 2 dimes to Collin but besides that, he should be an option QB like Collin Klein.  Dude has no business trying this sit in the pocket and reading defenses.

• Like 2

Just now, Skipper said:

Didn't someone do one of these for Malik after game 1 last year to highlight how much he sucked (and the Shag mob was ready to bench him)?  Maybe this thread ends up the same way.  One can hope right?

yes, it was Neon.  Same guy that started the Fire Tom Herman thread.  Maybe it'll end up being good luck since those hot takes are so fucking retarded.  

Sam missed about 7 throws and he could've run on 4 of them for huge gains.  Let's see how he does the next 2 weeks.  

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also...

Our O-line by no means is great but there was definite improvement in the pass blocking from last year.  There were times Sam had 4-5 seconds to throw and couldn’t muster a single yard.

It looked improved to me as well. Enough so to further highlight Sam’s deficiencies.

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also...

Our O-line by no means is great but there was definite improvement in the pass blocking from last year.  There were times Sam had 4-5 seconds to throw and couldn’t muster a single yard.

Thats what stood out to me - even more than Sam's play.  Out OL last year was dog shit.  There was a definite improvement in the pass blocking though the run blocking appears to be a work in progress.

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This guy can’t hit a WR screen pass or throw in the flats to save his life.  He was avg to below avg on the intermediate and deep routes.  Threw 2 dimes to Collin but besides that, he should be an option QB like Collin Klein.  Dude has no business trying this sit in the pocket and reading defenses.

A Dirt Burglar is gonna pick one of those flats off next month, watch. 

14 minutes ago, JBJ said:

That video is so erratic.  There's glimpses of great throws, but he misses more than a few quickouts and screens.

O-Line is definitely improved.

my 2 cents here

he was good on many throws. missed a few. and if we had a bigger view we could probably see him missing the open guy / reads

HOWEVER, notice the WRs are covered like stink on shit. we are running like the same passive BS passing game and when no run game it ends up looking like that. 7 or 8 in coverage and no where to throw. I'd say scheme and playcalling are much more or a concern than the QB. we are running a run heavy spread offense and we suck at it so the panicked passing that follows looks terrible for a number of reasons

#9 is not a good WR blocker either. that is obvious to see to.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Colin Johnson is proof of the maxim "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

He is a 6'5" creampuff of softness.

So don't call plays where he has to block.  Call plays to the strength of player.  And if CJ won't block for shit, bench him.  

Edited by Poolflood

11 minutes ago, staboner said:

we are running like the same passive BS passing game and when no run game it ends up looking like that. 

Aka 2017 and coaching adjustments.  UT now plays reactionary football and the coaching staff is not good at making adjustments. Or at least sticking to the ones that work. Maryland forced Texas into their game plan and Sam isn’t experienced enough to take the game over himself.

There is plenty to criticize about his play making skills but damn, the coaching staff puts him in a shitty position to suceed.

• Like 2

The kid is never going to be Colt when it comes to his accuracy. But let's not act like the WRs helped him out a ton either. Duvernay made a great catch for the first TD, but LJH/#14/Porter and a few others dropped some very catchable balls in important situations. No one's perfect so I wouldn't expect him or them to be either. There's enough blame to go around. I blame play calling/scheme to be the biggest concerns. There should've 5/6 possessions that they came out decisively & went up tempo. It's just obvious that the entire offense is more efficient when they do. They went with it 1 drive in the first half, scored and never really ever committed to it again!

Super Frustrating!!!

• Like 1

I have combat fatigue -- was his passing that erratic last year?  He had 3 nice long completions, one of which was overthrown but the WR made an outstanding catch for a TD.  Other than that, he was mostly throwing high or wide, with a couple of low and outside sucker pitches just for effect.  Crimony, kid.  Calm down.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I have combat fatigue -- was his passing that erratic last year?  He had 3 nice long completions, one of which was overthrown but the WR made an outstanding catch for a TD.  Other than that, he was mostly throwing high or wide, with a couple of low and outside sucker pitches just for effect.  Crimony, kid.  Calm down.

Yes, he has been extremely inaccurate since he arrived on campus.  Even many of his completions are shit throws, that otherwise would have garnered big time yards after catch.

Edited by Fico

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

it was that erratic.  The good keeps you coming back, the bad makes you lose games

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Crazy thing is on average, that is the most accurate passes within the Ehlinger offensive arsenal... The problem is it takes too long for the plays to develop...

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's petting the rabbit too hard.

• Like 1

Just now, kopp0e said:

Crazy thing is on average, that is the most accurate passes within the Ehlinger offensive arsenal... The problem is it takes too long for the plays to develop...

75% of the reason it takes to long to develop is because he cannot get the ball to his receivers accurately.  They are constantly having to turn around, reach down, or wait on the ball... which cause them to be slower in getting up field, which coupled with or weak ass blocking makes those plays impossible to execute. 

If Sam is the QB then he needs to be heavily involved in the run game and throwing off of play action only.  If we are not going to do that, then he needs to sit.  

• Like 2

I made a derogatory comment about Sam on Saturday, and realized a few minutes later that it was pitiful for a guy my age to be ragging on a 19 year old kid who is busting his ass on a bigger stage than I have or will ever perform.  Unfortunately, posts can't be deleted and have a very short window for editing.  Sorry to be a party pooper, but from this time forward, I'll try to restrict my criticism to coaches... okay, and probably seniors.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

So don't call plays where he has to block.  Call plays to the strength of player.  And if CJ won't block for shit, bench him.  
Well, can you run a run spread offense when your best wr can't block? Anytime he comes in to the game it's an obvious pass. Anytime he's out it's a run.

Sam's accuracy is terrible. Watching those highlights again today though he doesn't seem as happy footed as he did on Saturday. Also the routes we have our WRs running are terrible. They're getting zero separation. And we need to stop dropping passes that hit us in the hands.

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Well, can you run a run spread offense when your best wr can't block? Anytime he comes in to the game it's an obvious pass. Anytime he's out it's a run.

Sam's accuracy is terrible. Watching those highlights again today though he doesn't seem as happy footed as he did on Saturday. Also the routes we have our WRs running are terrible. They're getting zero separation. And we need to stop dropping passes that hit us in the hands.

Yes you can.  You just don't run a wr screen to his side when his responsibility is to block.  Beat his ass some more in practice to teach him but that play is dead.  Lol or play to his strength.  Have him wiff a block and throw to him over the top.