[Video]Sam Ehlinger vs Maryland

cdain3

After the interceptions that cost us the USC, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech games, the fact that Sam Ehlinger is allowed to continue to start after throwing that pick at the end is as big a reason to doubt Herman's competency. Protecting the ball is the most important thing for your quarterback and Ehlinger has proved time and again he can't do it. It's a joke.

• Like 3

i only watched the first quarter.  we sucked so decided to head out to the lake.  fuck watching shit.  hadn't seen any of the game or highlights until this vid.

from reading this board and the criticisms, i expected him to suck really bad.  he's inconsistent as fuck.  but he's only a true soph.  looks like some of the throws he didn't have much to throw to.  i blame that on the fucking dipshit designing and calling plays.  i'm not ready to toss in the towel on him but i sure would like to get a look at buechele.  if we're not going to run the fucking qb, then why not have the more accurate passer play the drop back qb role.  fucking coaching, how does it work?

but that last interception, holy shit on the decision to throw it into a fucking gaggle of defenders and on the execution of said shitty fucking throw.  he's not accurate, play the other motherfucker who is more accurate.  can't be any worst than losing the way we did on saturday.

He's not great in the pocket but I wish we would not roll him out so much.  We don't have to do that this year now that we have real tackles.  He's even less accurate on the run than in the pocket and can see even less of the field.  The defense just pinches everything to the sideline because they know he can't see the middle,  so he ends up just tapping the ball on a four count and throwing an uncatchable ball to the bench.  At least in the pocket he can take off if the line breaks down.

Buechele is more accurate and he makes the right reads. Problem is he makes them three seconds too late, like getting onto the bus home and THEN he throws it. He’s a narcoleptic Tom Brady with sloth blood. Can we just spike his Gatorade with cocaine?

1 minute ago, EtOH said:

Buechele is more accurate and he makes the right reads. Problem is he makes them three seconds too late, like getting onto the bus home and THEN he throws it. He’s a narcoleptic Tom Brady with sloth blood. Can we just spike his Gatorade with cocaine?

I think Shane will play better considering the improved pass protection (it was pretty good vs Maryland). He just needs a chance. 

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

So don't call plays where he has to block.  Call plays to the strength of player.  And if CJ won't block for shit, bench him.  

Then he will leave early for the NFL,  tear it up in the pre-season and we will all bitch about how he wasn't used correctly. Looks like Tarzan. plays like Jane. Vicious cycle.

He's not great in the pocket but I wish we would not roll him out so much.  We don't have to do that this year now that we have real tackles.  He's even less accurate on the run than in the pocket and can see even less of the field.  The defense just pinches everything to the sideline because they know he can't see the middle,  so he ends up just tapping the ball on a four count and throwing an uncatchable ball to the bench.  At least in the pocket he can take off if the line breaks down.

We roll him out because he is to dumb to consistently read defenses/route combos from the pocket.

Cutting the field in half and simplifying his reads are what the coaches are trying to do here.

Additionally, theoretically he is mobile so threatening the edge in the run game should open up the passing game behind it.... except he doesn’t threaten shit and he can’t complete shit.

I don’t think Shane is the answer, he would be considerably better than he he was last year, but we have seen what we get with him.

Honestly, I would roll the freshmen out. You cannot tell me with a straight face that our freshmen would be making as many or the same level of wtf plays that are Sam is/has been making.

I'll do a couple specifics:

@0:10 - First play.  Sam throws a quick-out, but the WR runs a quick-in.  Don't know who had it right.  Honestly, it looks like a quick dagger concept, which means Sam both misread the coverage and misthrew the ball. But that's far from certain.

@0:50 - Presnap read is a Man2.  They have both LBs walked up inside on the left.

The play is a shallow mesh between Beck and CJ.

Sam seems to change protection to slide left. The RB is "gone" (no protection but he'll also draw off a blitzer).  Beck should check hot because both LBs appear to be - and eventually are - leaving the middle wide open.

As a bonus, the dime back (I believe it's their OLB) is misaligned.  He's got no chance to cover anything quick to Beck.

Snap.  Blitzing LB peels off to the RB.  The other one is actually playing an aggressive spy.  No blitz, but the middle is still vacant.  The slide left call actually backfires because now we have 3-1 to the "blitz" side and 2-2 the other.  The center stays to double the NT.  It happens.  The protection isn't terrible for a quick throw.

In the secondary, Maryland pulls the backside safety into the vacant middle.  I call this Man1-Lurk.  There's a slight chance that the Dime was supposed to drop and double Duvernay and Beck was always the safety's man, but either way the safety is there to trap the hot route and generally clog the middle of the field.  He is ready to earhole Beck if the ball is thrown.

There's no time for the mesh to form.  The RT gets pushed back, Sam scrambles right, beating the rusher.  The spy gets lost for a second, but recovers enough to force Sam to the sideline.  With Beck on a shallow cross - his presumed man still nowhere to be found.  This actually works out well.

However, the backside safety gambles, stepping up to make sure Sam can't run, and tips what should have been a lay-up to Beck.

I meant to do more, but so much happened in that one play.  Maybe later. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

that last one is so fucking stupid.  time time time time time over throw WR in triple coverage by 3 feet 

On that last play, I wonder who was covering Cade Brewer running across the field. It seems like he could have run for at least 10 after the catch. Also, overall, Sam was really slow going through his progressions and was late on most of his pass attempts and rarely went to the hot route despite it being uncovered. Further, he needs to anticipate players getting open after they break instead of waiting to see if they clear their coverage.

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

After the interceptions that cost us the USC, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech games, the fact that Sam Ehlinger is allowed to continue to start after throwing that pick at the end is as big a reason to doubt Herman's competency. Protecting the ball is the most important thing for your quarterback and Ehlinger has proved time and again he can't do it. It's a joke.

To be fair, it was an Ehlinger fumble that cost us the USC game.  He's a dual threat!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fico said:

I don’t think Shane is the answer, he would be considerably better than he he was last year, but we have seen what we get with him.

Honestly, I would roll the freshmen out. You cannot tell me with a straight face that our freshmen would be making as many or the same level of wtf plays that are Sam is/has been making.

I don't think you're wrong.  I'd probably start Shane against Tulsa and see if there is any hope.  Of course, if we were to win comfortably then we'd be stuck with him until the next debacle, which would be soon.

I was on board with Sam most of last season and coming into this season, going on the assumption that things slow down and improve greatly from year 1 to year 2.  Boy was I wrong.  I'd be shocked if Sam doesn't start against Tulsa and continue starting for the same reason I pointed out above.  All of this just delays the chance to see what one of the freshmen can do, and unfortunately, it pushes that decision into conference play, when the stakes are so high that it probably forces the coaches to just stick with Sam or Shane.  Maybe the somewhat better line will hide the warts a bit, but after last weekend, I'm pretty doubtful.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Sam got sacked once in 39 attempts.

Watch that video and honestly assess how many times Shane would have been sacked. I say about 6 times.

Shane is a career 62% passer. Sam is 57%. I wouldn't trade more sacks for a +5% completion rate.

Fuck, I would if it meant no dumbass decisions that cost UT the game. Sam has that rep, it’s going to be tough to lose it. 

Just rewatched the game and it was disgusting what a piss poor performance Colin Johnson displayed when he was supposed to block.  It's great some of the catches he makes but on other plays he's killing drives by not even putting forth any effort when he's blocking.  Basically he tries when the ball is coming to him but otherwise screw the team.  That's just who he is.  

Edited by stork642

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

Just rewatched the game and it was disgusting what a piss poor performance Colin Johnson displayed when he was supposed to block.  It's great some of the catches he makes but on other plays he's killing drives by not even putting forth any effort when he's blocking.  Basically he tries when the ball is coming to him but otherwise screw the team.  That's just who he is.  

It is on Longhorn network right now. I dare you to watch it again.

18 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Fuck, I would if it meant no dumbass decisions that cost UT the game. Sam has that rep, it’s going to be tough to lose it. 

Statistically, TD/INT ratios get better with each season for college QBs. Shane has played one game as a true soph. He's going to make mistakes and throw untimely INTs.

Honestly I blame the coaches. A) we shouldn't have been in that situation. B) on 3rd and 10 in a 4-down situation with time to play, Sam didn't understand he didn't have to win the game with each throw. And C) The best playmakers were not in the game.

Part of Shane's problem last year, I think, was trauma from being screwed over repeatedly by his OL.  When Sam saw or feared it coming, he could go into fullback mode, Shane doesn't have that ability, so he gets creamed or selfsacks (which Sam showed some talent for Saturday). It was that much worse when he was nursing injuries from being constantly creamed. I think if Shane gets the opportunity to stand and deliver (your money or your life), he will do so with some success.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ, look at the play at 1:23 left. No awareness at all. Easy pitch and catch to 2 guys.

We’re passing into a 3 man box repeatedly. They bring pressure he holds it and rolls out away from half his WRs. There’s no hurry in CFB, time stops to move the chains. We should have run the damn ball right up the middle.

Why the fuck is he not running. That’s his strength. If he dies, he dies. We’ve got 3 more.

CJ and LJ need the ball every down. Keaontay and Tre need the damn ball. I don’t fault Tre at all, he got clobbered.

DD needs shots over the top. This lateral passing, invariably behind the receivers is maddening. CJ can’t or won’t block, stop asking him to.

stop telegraphing what you’re going to do. Every damn time Jamison or Moore came in we went to them. It is so fucking obvious.

QUIT GOING 5 WIDE WITH PORTER OR BECK!!!

[augie] WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE!!! GOD DAMNIT!! THIS ISNT SOME FUCKING GAME!! THIS IS YOUR LIVES!!![garrido]

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

Oi.

Watching that after the fact, he was worse that I remember. I will give him credit, the deep throws to CJ and the hump ball for LJH were nice throws. The TD to Duvernay was not great but he at least gave his guy a chance. When his number was called he did show the running ability that he is theoretically out there for.

That said, he misses a lot. Way too often for a P5 QB. He has no touch and no pocket presence. And he sure did not seem to bring the confidence/attitude boost he is also ostensibly out there for. Honestly that video felt like watching Tyrone Swoopes when he was full time QB or Tebow in the NFL.

The coaching staff obviously did him no favors with the play calling. The game was called in a way that didn't just fail to play to his strengths, it actively amplified his weaknesses. I am assuming that he wasn't just passing on chances to run, because he has shown that he will take off, but rather that that was explicitly not a part of the game plan. If that's the approach the staff wants to take, the this offense can be successful, but it needs to be Buchele back there. Not necessarialy advocating for that, and the staff would probably call a game for him like he was a 6'2" 230 bulldozer.

Damn, that was rough. OL did look really good in pass pro overall, and Maryland's DL would be able to hang just fine in the B12, so that is at least a silver lining.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

I said it last year - we’ve got Tebow without the decision making or the wins....simple as that

Take Tebow  and make him not as strong,  not as quick, reduce his IQ by about 70 percent, and somehow a worse passer. Then take Tony Romo and extract his choke gene, magnify it by 100, and stick it in the mix. Then you get Ehlinger. 

Edited by future man

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

Statistically, TD/INT ratios get better with each season for college QBs. Shane has played one game as a true soph. He's going to make mistakes and throw untimely INTs.

Honestly I blame the coaches. A) we shouldn't have been in that situation. B) on 3rd and 10 in a 4-down situation with time to play, Sam didn't understand he didn't have to win the game with each throw. And C) The best playmakers were not in the game.

Maybe I don’t understand what yours saying... I’m not a Shane fan but he played in 9 games as a sophomore last year not 1 🤔  1400 yards and 4 picks...  you prob meant Sam, I understand now

and to to your point about Sam, if a D-1 college football QB doesn’t understand the basics of football then well... he is a dumbass... your trying to tell me he REALLY didn’t understand game Management? C’mon man, HS kids know that 

Edited by okiehorn

Tom will stick with Sam no matter what. Tom has always been up Sam's ass since he enrolled early at UT. Sam has always dreamed of playing for UT, and Herman has wanted to be a HC at Texas ever since he was a GA. Since Tom is so literary and poetic, he sees it as his destiny that he is the HC alongside a QB who has always wanted to play here. It's like two virgins who think they are destined to be together. Once they finally get to the fucking, it's not that great because they haven't had much practice. Expand your horizons and see who else is out there before firmly making your decision while everyone else around you has to suffer. 

10 hours ago, bluto said:

I think the OL was much improved, esp over a Connor-less 17 line, but Maryland rushed only 3 quite a bit

agreed... the verdict is still out on the handling the heavier numbers that USC and OU will throw at us, but the initial OL results were clearly an improvement over last few years.   If I am Tulsa's D Coordinator and Sam is starting, I am inclined to mimic Maryland and play more coverage than blitz until proven wrong.  So, we may not get a clearer picture on how the OL handles blitz pressure until the big stage games.

12 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Sam got sacked once in 39 attempts.

Watch that video and honestly assess how many times Shane would have been sacked. I say about 6 times.

Shane is a career 62% passer. Sam is 57%. I wouldn't trade more sacks for a +5% completion rate.

Honest question.  What is the interception rate?

I count 5 egregiously missed throws (2 for interceptions. another that Collin didn't block for Duvernay, but the throw was still terrible), time, pocket, he had all but just missed. I also counted two missed check-down opportunities where he tried a throw he didn't make but had Watson for 4-5 yards right in front of him. The difference between 2nd and 5 and 2nd and 10 is monumental from an offensive playcalling standpoint.

There's another 2 (to Moore and to Watson) that the worst things about the play weren't his throws but they were still bad (pressure in his face to Moore, Watson fumbled his in the 4th qtr).

This doesn't look good. His offense didn't always help him out (a bit of pressure, not last year, but some. Collin not blocking on screens.), but if we're looking for a QB that can elevate the offense when he does get opportunities, this does not bode well.