Colonoscopy

Sbbruin

I recently had my third.  My mother and her mother both died of colon cancer, so I was on the 5 year plan.  The doc found 2 polyps and wants to have a repeat performance in 2 years...or maybe it was 3 polyps and 3 years.  I'd ask my wife, but she's sound asleep now.

I was worried going in that my prep wasn't working well enough, and I'd have to do it all over again, but the doc was able to see.  Yippee!  The old method of prepping left no doubt.  It was deserving of the "makes you say holy shit" thread, sans pics.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

It was cool until the that burring shit they shot into my arm, but that didn't last long.  Ehhh ,  and I was out. Woke up my and asshole felt weird. Not the first time.

I had polyps removes from my anus when I was five. It was unusual. I had day glo stools. yellow , green, even chartreus . It hasn't manifested as full blown ass cancer as adult. But I still have it checked every year, .

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

You already have things scheduled so I dont guess you can back out of it. There is a new procedure for people that don't have colon cancer in their family history. Cologuard, I think is the name. You provide a sample via mail to a lab and they check it. I think it works fine but obviously not as well as sticking a camera up your ass. Prep is awful. You will need to sleep on the pot because you will be peeing out your butt all night. You will be tired and cranky and hungry. Drink lots of fluids after the procedure because you will be dehydrated big time.

Edited by burntorangebongos

As I was waking up from the anesthesia I had the best feelings I’ve ever experienced. I wanted to go back to that place immediately. I get my next one in a couple years and I’m looking forward to it. The prep sucks but it’s not really that big of deal.

Did it at 50 and had cancer. Chopped out a foot of my intestines and I was good to go. Had several procedures since then. 

Try to schedule on a Monday during football season so at least you can watch football in basement while you are running back and forth to the can. 

Its not that big a deal really. The procedure itself is a non event. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Did it at 50 and had cancer. Chopped out a foot of my intestines and I was good to go. Had several procedures since then. 

Try to schedule on a Monday during football season so at least you can watch football in basement while you are running back and forth to the can. 

Its not that big a deal really. The procedure itself is a non event. 

Jeez, did you have symptoms of a family history?

1 minute ago, 936horn said:

Jeez, did you have symptoms of a family history?

Nothing. Just routine exam. 

Dr said in most cases it takes a decade to get out of hand so they get frustrated that people dont get the exam when death from this is so preventable for most folks. 

Anyway the procedure is nothing. You have the best nap of your life and then go crush some Tex Mex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A friend has a family history of colon cancer so she's been doing colonoscopies annually since she was 40 -- that's 20+ years.  She is also a dietitian.  She has found that it is way easier to go through all of the prep if you start 12-24 hours earlier than what the "blow it all out of your butt in the last few hours" instructions say. 

My wife and I have followed her advice and had no issues at all.  I also followed another friend's advice that "vodka is a clear liquid" to take the edge off of the prep fasting!

No kidding about the great sleep during the procedure. 

4 hours ago, 936horn said:

I have my first scheduled for tomorrow morning. What am I in for? Prep starts in about 6 hours...

The prep is the pain in the ass,  pun intended.  The procedure is a very potent drug induced, you're out in about 30 seconds, and it's over.  You wouldn't care if your were sodomized by a bull elephant, nor would you know.

The first time I had one I was freaking over the whole camera up your ass thing, but you're completely out you don't know shit.  

Full disclosure the first time I had one I woke up during the procedure (felt nothing), and commented on the "pink tunnel" on the video screen. The doc said WTF are you doing awake, and sent me back off to sleepy land. The drugs they use now knock you out cold.  I've always had a high tolerance to drugs for some reason.

All clean and clear. Get to do it in 10 years again. I vaguely recall coming to during the procedure and asking WTF is that, doc says “that’s your colon”. Lulz. I aggressively consumed some whataburger for lunch and home made red beans and rice is on the menu for dinner. 

• Like 1

Just to add my experience I didn’t really mind the prep all that much (although I can’t even look at yellow Gatorade anymore). The recovery from the anesthesia for me was awful. I went hard on some whataburger and almost immediately yakked it up when I got home. I crashed for a really restless nap for a while after then could barely eat dinner. I felt much better today (the day after) but I was ripping some mean ass at the office. 

I have only had anesthesia one other time but I was when I was a teenager when I got my wisdom teeth out. I don’t remember the recovery being that bad but it was a long time ago. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Tuesday morning… riding the silver stallion. Mondays gonna suck.

Yeah, it’s not a fun experience. I’ve had a couple and I’m not that old.

PSA- (to the other shaggy/surly idiots)

Do it. If you have the insurance or resources get it done. It can literally save your life. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sleep off ugly said:

Yeah, it’s not a fun experience. I’ve had a couple and I’m not that old.

PSA- (to the other shaggy/surly idiots)

Do it. If you have the insurance or resources get it done. It can literally save your life. 

Have a history of colon cancer in our family so I kind of demanded one earlier than they typically do the procedure. The found 3 polyps the first time, 6 the last time, so I'm betting there'll be more Tuesday, hopefully benign.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Time for mine... Anyone have a favorite butthole doctor in Austin?  
Austin Gastroenterology has a southwest office in the same building my normal doctor's office.  Probably will go there unless convinced otherwise.

That’s where I go. I use Srygley (sp). I think he’s from Tennessee and he sounds like it. Went to Duke Ned school I believe. Good dude.