do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

They just throw them in the episode.  For instance, when Newman is explaining to Kramer how it can go down when the mail guys grab him, there's an extra Newman line.

not sure how I feel about that...

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

were they in the original broadcasts?  i know they cut a few seconds here and there in syndication to add a commercial or 2.

I do know how I feel about that.  outraged!

On March 25, 2020 at 11:10 AM, Biff Tannen said:

I've noticed on Hulu they have some minor deleted scenes or lines that weren't in the original broadcasts.

They have deleted scenes on the DVDs. You view them separately from the episodes. Sometimes they include portions of the scene that actually aired so you couldn't splice them in easily. Are you sure you're not just seeing complete episodes on Hulu that weren't edited for syndication?

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I also never really realized that the Festivus episode isn't called "Festivus" it's "The Strike"

In the DVD commentary they said that The Strike wasn't the best name in retrospect but they didn't realize how hugely popular the Festivus storyline would be. I also watched The Soup Nazi commentary the other day and they said they all thought that episode was going to be sort of a "turkey." They never thought it would go over like it did. 

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They have deleted scenes on the DVDs. You view them separately from the episodes. Sometimes they include portions of the scene that actually aired so you couldn't splice them in easily. Are you sure you're not just seeing complete episodes on Hulu that weren't edited for syndication?

In the DVD commentary they said that The Strike wasn't the best name in retrospect but they didn't realize how hugely popular the Festivus storyline would be. I also watched The Soup Nazi commentary the other day and they said they all thought that episode was going to be sort of a "turkey." They never thought it would go over like it did. 

Yeah I have all the DVDs too, but haven't watched them in years.  And yeah, we had the syndication convo upthread.  

Meanwhile:

Jerry, she looks EXACTLY like you.

No she doesn't.

Yeah, maybe she doesn't, I don't care.

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's exactly right. 

Most of us who have been watching Seinfeld obsessively for the past 20 years have been doing so on the syndicated versions on TBS. Most of those episodes have some editing on them to make their run times identical for the syndication window, as the original "as-aired" versions were allowed some variations in run time by a minute or two.

If anything gets chopped off, it's typically the last 10-20 seconds of a scene or something where there's just one more joke before going to break or the next scene.

It's the same thing on the Simpsons. If you listen to the commentary tracks on the DVDs or online, they will often talk about the jokes here and there that got cut for syndication.

One of the more interesting Seinfeld things regarding syndication is that in the original "The Handicap Spot" episode, a different actor played Frank Costanza (it was his first appearance in the series).  After the episode they brought in Jerry Stiller to play him and they actually re-shot the scenes for "The Handicapped Spot" for syndication. 

So if you saw they syndicated version of that episode for years, you saw Jerry Stiller playing Frank.  But since the show on Hulu is the original "as-aired" versions, you see the original actor playing Frank Constanza in that episode.   (It's season 4, episode 22 if you want to check it out)

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That's exactly right. 

Most of us who have been watching Seinfeld obsessively for the past 20 years have been doing so on the syndicated versions on TBS. Most of those episodes have some editing on them to make their run times identical for the syndication window, as the original "as-aired" versions were allowed some variations in run time by a minute or two.

If anything gets chopped off, it's typically the last 10-20 seconds of a scene or something where there's just one more joke before going to break or the next scene.

It's the same thing on the Simpsons. If you listen to the commentary tracks on the DVDs or online, they will often talk about the jokes here and there that got cut for syndication.

One of the more interesting Seinfeld things regarding syndication is that in the original "The Handicap Spot" episode, a different actor played Frank Costanza (it was his first appearance in the series).  After the episode they brought in Jerry Stiller to play him and they actually re-shot the scenes for "The Handicapped Spot" for syndication. 

So if you saw they syndicated version of that episode for years, you saw Jerry Stiller playing Frank.  But since the show on Hulu is the original "as-aired" versions, you see the original actor playing Frank Constanza in that episode.   (It's season 4, episode 22 if you want to check it out)

Jerry's dad was a different actor also.  I don't think they re-shot that episode, but could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Jerry's dad was a different actor also.  I don't think they re-shot that episode, but could be wrong.

No, he's still there. They recast that role. That's not terribly uncommon in early seasons of shows. Like how a different actor originally played Father Mulcahy on MASH before they gave the job to William Christopher. 

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That would be The Smelly Car. Frank Costanza doesn't appear in that episode. 

"Amazing. I drive them to lesbianism, he brings them back."

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would be The Smelly Car. Frank Costanza doesn't appear in that episode. 

"Amazing. I drive them to lesbianism, he brings them back."

Frank Costanza doesn't appear in The Handicap Spot?  I beg to differ.  The whole story line is about George borrowing Frank's car to take the group to the mall (or wherever) to get the Drakes a wedding present.

Kramer talks George into parking in the handicap spot and then they come out and people are surrounding the car looking for who did it.

Yada yada yada... later Frank is in the middle of receiving an award from a local non-profit for his work helping handicapped people and the police show up at the door because it was his car.

Here's a side-by-side of Frank giving George a head slap - the original "as-aired" with John Randolph playing Frank Costanza on the left and the re-shot version with Jerry Stiller on the right.  

spacer.png

Here's another shot of John Randolph from the original episode -- you might recognize him as Clark's dad in Christmas Vacation. :) 

spacer.png

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Frank Costanza doesn't appear in The Handicap Spot?  I beg to differ.  The whole story line is about George borrowing Frank's car to take the group to the mall (or wherever) to get the Drakes a wedding present.

Kramer talks George into parking in the handicap spot and then they come out and people are surrounding the car looking for who did it.

Yada yada yada... later Frank is in the middle of receiving an award from a local non-profit for his work helping handicapped people and the police show up at the door because it was his car.

Here's a side-by-side of Frank giving George a head slap - the original "as-aired" with John Randolph playing Frank Costanza on the left and the re-shot version with Jerry Stiller on the right.  

spacer.png

Here's another shot of John Randolph from the original episode -- you might recognize him as Clark's dad in Christmas Vacation. :) 

spacer.png

Season 4 episode 22 is The Smelly Car. 

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/entertainment/larry-david-golf-caddies-gofundme-trnd/index.html

Saw this story and something caught my eye

The comedian, also known for creating and starring in the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm," started the fundraiser with American media executive Lloyd Braun. Their goal is $150,000.

Within a week of its launch, they've raised nearly $111,000.

Am I crazy or is that a lot of gum?

just watched ‘the dealership’ on hulu.  the opening scene is a conversation between jerry and george about flying cars.  pretty sure I’d never seen it and I’ve seen the dealership a million times.  these scenes deleted for syndication are blowing my fucking mind.  how much new seinfeld is out there waiting to be seen?  I was younger during the original run of the show so I didn’t really watch them until they hit syndication. 

• Like 1

SANDI: Are you breaking up with me?

JERRY: Are we going out?

SANDI: You're breaking up with me, aren't you? (almost crying)

JERRY: Do you want me to break up with you?

SANDI: If that's what you want.

JERRY: I don't even know what you're talking about.

SANDI: Fine. Break up with me.

JERRY: All right. We're broken up.

SANDI: (little pause) Can we still be friends?