do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

I saw another infograph, whatever we're calling them.  It was yet another reminder that Jerry never said, "What's the deal with..." during the show.  Either in the scripted scenes or in the opening standup bits.  But I swear when George is contemplating whether or not to go play Frolf...Jerry pops up in a bubble over his shoulder and says something like, "And what's the deal with...(can't remember the noun he says."  Am I remembering that right?  

He says it in The Butter Shave too when he's "throwing the set" for Bannia. 

Jerry is on stage at the comedy club, Kramer is in the audience.

Jerry: What's the deal with lampshades? I mean if it's a lamp, why do you want

shade?

Kramer laughs hysterically, he's the only one.

Jerry: And what's with people getting sick?

Newman: Hee hee! Yeah yeah!

Jerry: I mean, what's the deal with cancer?

Man in audience: I have cancer!

Kramer: Oh, tough crowd.

• Hook 'Em 1

It pops up every few years whenever there's news about Seinfeld (show, or Jerry, or Netflix).  It tried to pin the whole cliched expression to that "Standup and Win" sketch he did on SNL 30 years ago.  But I knew he said it a few times on the show, if even ironically.  

It also reminded me that after every single time we've seen Jerry's standup, he always does the same thing.  Comes out for an "encore" to take questions from the audience. And it doesn't really matter who shouts what, he always answers the same 3 or 4 and then does the Newman thing to close.  one time though, at least in Austin, he pretended to be asked about his favorite quote from the show.  Everyone wants him to do one of the classic seinfeld-isms.  But he said he loves all his episodes equally, like his children.  But that for years, he did use one line around the house all the time when his kids were picky eaters.  "If you're one of us...you'll take a bite."  It was such a throw-away line in that new suit episode for George.  But that it resonated with Jerry decades later made me smile.  I use it with my kids today (both of whom suck at eating).  /csb

"I don't think more flan is the answer!" 

33 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Name the only (ex) UT football player to ever appear in an episode. Necessitates a pretty deep dive.

Okay, jokes aside.  That's a really good question and an interesting bit of trivia I'd love to know.

Can you at least give us a hint? 

19 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The Joel Rifken episode should give it away once you recall the specifics of the episode but you still have to take a little leap from there. 

Cracks me up that "the Masseuse" episode (Joel Rifkin episode as well) played up the idea that O.J. Simpson could be a serial killer, a year+ before he actually became one.  I mean, I guess not so funny for Nicole and Ron.  But funny to me.  One of Joel Rifkin's possible name changes was Ned Rifkin, who worked at UT for a time as Director of the Blanton Museum of Art.  And in real life he played college sports, basketball at Syracuse.  Lawrence Taylor is in this episode, but we know he did not play ball at Texas.  

Neil Watkins, aka "T-Bone", is from Texas...but I doubt he played college ball given that he was barely taller than Costanza.  

So all that to say, give us another hint.  'Cause we ain't found shit...

He also wasn't that great for UT.  60% career FG%.  Not awful, but not noteworthy.

And apparently he retired years before that episode even aired.  Worlds were colliding!

I started again from the beginning on Netflix, and I'm not sure it would have made it today past the first few seasons. I enjoy them but they are so different than what the show eventually became. The tertiary characters in the later seasons are what really make the show, in my opinion. At the time I didn't even know who George Steinbrenner was but those scenes were still hilarious as is the basic premise that a loser like George wound up with a pretty fucking cool ass job.