do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

or I could just not be lazy and get out the complete set of DVD's we have of the entire series (except for Season 5 or 6, I musta gotten drunk and donated them) and watch everything with the yadayada notes and no ads.  But my wife and I figured it out.  We like to still watch them once or twice a week when they come on in syndication because it reminds me of when I watched her "get the show" and subsequently understand a bit about my humor.

We were both in grad school and working, this is 20 years ago.  Had recently met her, and her staying over at my place was a new development.  I didn't have money leftover to pay for cable and even network channels didn't come in on my boxy TV.  But Fox came in clear as day, and this was when they ran the 10:00 & 10:30p Seinfeld reruns every single weeknight.  I wouldn't get home from work or class until 9:00p, we'd eat dinner, and get in bed together and watch those two episodes.  I had probably already seen every episode at that point, but she never watched it (every girl of that generation watched "Friends" on Thursdays and then put their backpack purses on to hit the bars).  But after about a year and a half of that routine, she had pretty much seen every episode and she loved the show even more than I do now.  She makes way more references to it than I do in real life.  Even the Lighthouse and Sony thing at the end of a rerun isn't annoying to us, it reminds us of when we'd get up to brush teeth or whatever, but then run back for the final joke after the credits.  You don't get that sequence on the DVD's.  

But look at me now, 20 years later...and I'm still just several hundred millions of dollars behind Larry David in net worth.  

On 4/8/2021 at 4:02 PM, Lobo said:

or I could just not be lazy and get out the complete set of DVD's we have of the entire series (except for Season 5 or 6, I musta gotten drunk and donated them) and watch everything with the yadayada notes and no ads.  But my wife and I figured it out.  We like to still watch them once or twice a week when they come on in syndication because it reminds me of when I watched her "get the show" and subsequently understand a bit about my humor.

We were both in grad school and working, this is 20 years ago.  Had recently met her, and her staying over at my place was a new development.  I didn't have money leftover to pay for cable and even network channels didn't come in on my boxy TV.  But Fox came in clear as day, and this was when they ran the 10:00 & 10:30p Seinfeld reruns every single weeknight.  I wouldn't get home from work or class until 9:00p, we'd eat dinner, and get in bed together and watch those two episodes.  I had probably already seen every episode at that point, but she never watched it (every girl of that generation watched "Friends" on Thursdays and then put their backpack purses on to hit the bars).  But after about a year and a half of that routine, she had pretty much seen every episode and she loved the show even more than I do now.  She makes way more references to it than I do in real life.  Even the Lighthouse and Sony thing at the end of a rerun isn't annoying to us, it reminds us of when we'd get up to brush teeth or whatever, but then run back for the final joke after the credits.  You don't get that sequence on the DVD's.  

But look at me now, 20 years later...and I'm still just several hundred millions of dollars behind Larry David in net worth.  

I loved watching the yada yada notes and all the deleted scenes.  I should do that again.  Also,

7ad9a48f-2383-4c6c-af08-3e1272c3ff24_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, look. We've never worked together on a lie. Now, you don't understand how I work. I have a certain way of working. Jerry and I have worked together a few times. He knows how I work. It's not a personal thing, y'know? We're just trying to come up with the best possible lie. That's what this is all about.

9 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

image.png.ee5a8a2e567ed092706d45def9ff690c.png

That’s nothing. They modified his refrigerator to fit in an impossible space. What’s more interesting is Kramer’s apartment. Sometimes the door opened into a hallway with coat hooks on the wall. (Think about that.) With the reverse peephole you could see his couch made from a 50’s roadster. Kenny Rogers’ neon light showed straight through. Jerry’s apartment demanded far less suspension of our disbelief than Kramer’s did. Kramer’s apartment was all over the place and that’s without it ever actually having levels.

And someone please tell me where Newman got the cow-spotted slow cooker and why he kept it in the living room.

These are features, not bugs. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s nothing. They modified his refrigerator to fit in an impossible space. What’s more interesting is Kramer’s apartment. Sometimes the door opened into a hallway with coat hooks on the wall. (Think about that.) With the reverse peephole you could see his couch made from a 50’s roadster. Kenny Rogers’ neon light showed straight through. Jerry’s apartment demanded far less suspension of our disbelief than Kramer’s did. Kramer’s apartment was all over the place and that’s without it ever actually having levels.

And someone please tell me where Newman got the cow-spotted slow cooker and why he kept it in the living room.

Bravo

Have they taken a crack at creating the 3-D floorplan for Kramer's apartment?  We see his immediate entry area.  We see his bedroom, or really just Jerry on his bed.  We see his "living room" which may or may not contain a hot tub, a Farbman chest of drawers, and a table somewhere big enough for a large poker game.  We never see his kitchen or his living room without the Merv Griffin Show set.  He was going to set out to remove everything from his apartment and simply put in "levels" with pillows.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Have they taken a crack at creating the 3-D floorplan for Kramer's apartment?  We see his immediate entry area.  We see his bedroom, or really just Jerry on his bed.  We see his "living room" which may or may not contain a hot tub, a Farbman chest of drawers, and a table somewhere big enough for a large poker game.  We never see his kitchen or his living room without the Merv Griffin Show set.  He was going to set out to remove everything from his apartment and simply put in "levels" with pillows.  

ac7f5017-9749-4eb3-b2dc-83aa6700eec8_tex

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And framed headshot of Jerry hanging on the wall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He should install another garbage disposal.

See, I thought about this.  And I realized in the scene with him making the shower salad, as he's facing his showerhead...to his right is a wall and to his left is the rest of the bathroom.  But the floorplan posted above has the wall to his left and the opening to the bathroom to his right.  So we'll have to trash it and start over.

Now my whole day is ruined! 

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

that’s a typo. 

no, that ^ is a typo. 

The Clarkman manual had a "misprint."  

Edited by Lobo

When they show the exterior of Jerry’s apartment building, notice all the diamond shaped metal plates studding the walls. That tells you that the building is in California where it’s been retrofitted to bring it up to earthquake code. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

No, it was an earthquake in New York after all.  As a result of the massive orgasm given John Cheever by a Mister Henry Ross.  Some say, it left him a cripple.  Not unlike his sister Sara.  Oh, the irony.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When they show the exterior of Jerry’s apartment building, notice all the diamond shaped metal plates studding the walls. That tells you that the building is in California where it’s been retrofitted to bring it up to earthquake code. 

I believe they were installed with the cabinets. Good work by Connie. Conrad. Whatever.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Diamond shaped, squares rotated 45 degrees, quadrilaterals on the long end...it's whatever Jerry wants. 

Yeah, I get it. I figured just referring to them as diamond shaped was the more economical way of expressing it and I’m pretty sure that’s how they were referred to in the DVD commentary.