do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

Guest Lobo

actually Kudrow and Cox are in their late 50's.  Aniston is 52.  Yes, there's obviously some surgery and makeup artistry going on...but a lot of it just good genes and taking care of themselves.  The Chandler and Joey guys look like bad road.  While he's a douchebag on and off screen, the Ross guy is aging pretty well. Him  Not working for 20 years does seem to stop time as they say.  

Typing this from campus right now and just remembering Thursday nights in the mid 90's at college.  If I was dating someone, we'd watch "Friends" with all her roommates 'n shit before they headed out to party.  If I was single, it was shit 'n shower during "Friends", to start 'pre-gaming' during Seinfeld, then hit the bars.  Even though "Seinfeld" is eternally my wife and I's show (she was a "Friends" girl in college) now, I can watch a rerun of a Season 6 or 7 episode and know if I was single when I first watched it or dating someone and listening to her complain that the show was weird and we needed to get to xyz bar for $2 kamikazee shots.  

This will sound "Seinfeld" elitist, but "Friends" would have never been as big as it was had it not ridden in on "Seinfeld's" coattails when it did.  If that show had to go it alone with Veronica's Closet or some other half-assed "Must See TV" sitcom, it would have made it, but it would not be in the eschelon it is now.  Also, do yourself a favor this summer.  Watch 1 or 2 "Friends" reruns.  The show holds up like shit.  Anyway, not to pick on them too much.

Then again, maybe "Seinfeld" doesn't make it if "Cheers" doesn't help them out in the early 90's.  

Edited by Lobo

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

actually Kudrow and Cox are in their late 50's.  Aniston is 52.  Yes, there's obviously some surgery and makeup artistry going on...but a lot of it just good genes and taking care of themselves.  The Chandler and Joey guys look like bad road.  While he's a douchebag on and off screen, the Ross guy is aging pretty well. Him  Not working for 20 years does seem to stop time as they say.  

Typing this from campus right now and just remembering Thursday nights in the mid 90's at college.  If I was dating someone, we'd watch "Friends" with all her roommates 'n shit before they headed out to party.  If I was single, it was shit 'n shower during "Friends", to start 'pre-gaming' during Seinfeld, then hit the bars.  Even though "Seinfeld" is eternally my wife and I's show (she was a "Friends" girl in college) now, I can watch a rerun of a Season 6 or 7 episode and know if I was single when I first watched it or dating someone and listening to her complain that the show was weird and we needed to get to xyz bar for $2 kamikazee shots.  

This will sound "Seinfeld" elitist, but "Friends" would have never been as big as it was had it not ridden in on "Seinfeld's" coattails when it did.  If that show had to go it alone with Veronica's Closet or some other half-assed "Must See TV" sitcom, it would have made it, but it would not be in the eschelon it is now.  Also, do yourself a favor this summer.  Watch 1 or 2 "Friends" reruns.  The show holds up like shit.  Anyway, not to pick on them too much.

Then again, maybe "Seinfeld" doesn't make it if "Cheers" doesn't help them out in the early 90's.  

I love your random diatribes. 

Guest Lobo

I hate them.  I have these running commentaries in the back of my head at almost all times and they just have to spew out their random knowledge combined with some attempt at pithy humor.  I'm pretty quiet in real life so this is my coping mechanism.  This, and talking to my wife.  Thank God she loves the show, otherwise my life would even more awkward.  Sometimes I feel like George's Brother.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I hate them.  I have these running commentaries in the back of my head at almost all times and they just have to spew out their random knowledge combined with some attempt at pithy humor.  I'm pretty quiet in real life so this is my coping mechanism.  This, and talking to my wife.  Thank God she loves the show, otherwise my life would even more awkward.  Sometimes I feel like George's Brother.  

Or Jerry's sister

Guest Lobo

Did they ever mention he had a sibling?  I thought in the first truncated season, they mentioned he had a brother---then never mentioned it again. I thought maybe the line was even uttered by the dad who was recast before the second season?  I know there was mention of a George brother and I think a sister for Elaine.  We meet both Seinfelds, both Costanzas, Elaine's dad, and Kramer's mom.  But never a sibling, though there are mentions early on.  I think Elaine's sister is even mentioned much later, like season 4 or so.

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Did they ever mention he had a sibling?  I thought in the first truncated season, they mentioned he had a brother---then never mentioned it again. I thought maybe the line was even uttered by the dad who was recast before the second season?  I know there was mention of a George brother and I think a sister for Elaine.  We meet both Seinfelds, both Costanzas, Elaine's dad, and Kramer's mom.  But never a sibling, though there are mentions early on.  I think Elaine's sister is even mentioned much later, like season 4 or so.

Chinese restaurant Jerry mentions his sister.  Nipple Christmas card Elaine is talking to her sister about the card and her nephew 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Good call by the new guy, didn't realize it was a sister, not brother that Jerry mentions.  

Gimme partial credit on Elaine's sister mention coming in Season 4 though...I was right about that.  

This is what happens in middle age.  The encyclopedic/episodic knowledge morphs/devolves into more of a "Well that particular line of dialogue is still top of mind, but it more reminds me of my own milieu."  

Guest Lobo

Thread derail (again)------can we all stop and acknowledge the comedic genius that was Manny on Seinfeld.  Played by the incomparable Tony Plana.  Sure it was a small role, but he was among the very first "bigger names" to come do an episode of Seinfeld to flex his comedic chops when he plays Manny in 1991 on the show.  Just Season 2, Episode 5....they get a man who had already played a supporting role in "An Officer and a Gentleman", Chico in "The Best of Times", Feo 'Get Behind me Satan' in "Born in East L.A.", a recurring role on TV series like "Hunter" and "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice."   And oh yeah, just a little role called "Jefe" in "The Three Amigos"...maybe his all-time classic role.  then he goes and does a bit role on "Seinfeld" before setting back off on an illustrious 30 year career of more tv and film.

At the time, he was one of the biggest names to come and do a day on the show at that point.  We now know of dozens who did the same.  Lawrence Tierney was a big name when he came on early in Season 2.  He wanted a bigger part and apparently hated the show and the atmosphere on the set FWIW.  You could say Kevin Dunn in Season 1, but he was much more of an unknown at the time than Tony Plana. 

Salud to Tony Plana, kind of the first.  

Edited by Lobo