Where to live in Denver Metro Area

Doc Holliday

So I’ve been kicking around the idea of moving to Denver and I want to be central in the best spot to live in a walkable nice area with top restaurants and bars, basically the best spot to meet fine young professional women. I’m a 31 year old single well paid engineer. From what I’ve been able to gather Lower Highland is the best neighborhood in the city for this? 

• 3 weeks later...

Piggybacking on this thread.  Moving to Colorado early next year for work.  Will be working in Loveland and looking for recommendations on where to live in Northern Colorado.  Interested in walkable areas in smallish towns or having some land near the mountains.  Have considered Longmont and Fort Collins for walkable options but no clue regarding mountain area options.  Would like to limit my commute to Loveland to 35-40 mins each way.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I checked out cherry creek, golden triangle, downtown, and LoHi. Ended up getting a place a block from union square. Pretty stoked on it. 

Union Station is a great spot.  You'll love it as long as you can stomach the rent.  If I lived downtown, it would be in the Union Station/Riverfront Park area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Right, Union station not union square! I loved the location and the views, very excited to move in down there and just in time for snowboarding season. 

You need to ride the ski train to Winter Park at least once.  It is a fun experience, especially with a couple friends, and you'll be able to go door to door without getting in a car.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

There were a few small cities the wife and I loved between Denver and FC. Loveland, Longmont I think, and something else. Great social vibes, but we would ONLY live close to downtown in those places, I mean walking distance to all the fun, otherwise it's a no go. We looked for a house with a tree fiddy budget (seriously) but couldn't find anything. Maybe it was bad timing but I don't think those people sell their houses very often. I wouldn't either. 

Edited by GotThatFire

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, Sandman said:

You should get a place in Pueblo, so you'll have easy access to all of those sweet government pamphlets. 

Also, my grandparents lived in a shitty trailer park in Brighton, so this hits close to home.

When I was river rafting 2 years ago, we were joking with the guide that he lived in pueblo because we couldn't hear where he actually lived due to excess road noise from the yellow dog bus.  We would ask random questions like is there good Mexican food in pueblo, or how was the skiing, etc.  He was a good sport with it all. 

18 hours ago, smokebomb said:

Serious question - what don’t you like about Denver? And will you be leaving Colorado or just Denver? 

The cost of living is pretty high without companies paying wages that reflect it. Too many people. Traffic drives me insane. I’d prefer to live somewhere more rural. I don’t care if we stay in Colorado or not.

Basically, when I told my wife I was okay with moving to Colorado I told her I just didn’t want to live in Denver. I hate living in big cities. My wife was getting out of the Navy and companies will generally only talk to exiting military when they’re within 3 months of their exit date. So the 3 months before he exit date was a mad dash to find jobs and Denver was the only place we could find jobs.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well - signing a lease this week w/ a parking spot - will be near chessman park, right off of colfax, with plenty of restaurants, bars, pubs, breweries, etc. that are walking distance or bike riding.  I am happy with it and not paying 2k+ for rent.   I'll be moving closer to the end of march now and can't wait. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Well - signing a lease this week w/ a parking spot - will be near chessman park, right off of colfax, with plenty of restaurants, bars, pubs, breweries, etc. that are walking distance or bike riding.  I am happy with it and not paying 2k+ for rent.   I'll be moving closer to the end of march now and can't wait. 

Cheesman Park.  I love running there.  Lots of hawt girls running and people walking dogs.  Great area.  My buddy who we stay with when we visit our daughter lives 8 blocks south of there. 

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Cheesman Park.  I love running there.  Lots of hawt girls running and people walking dogs.  Great area.  My buddy who we stay with when we visit our daughter lives 8 blocks south of there. 

I'll be one block north of the park - looking forward to running it with the youngest dog and general laziness on gorgeous days when I can

We'll have to get a beer when you come up! 

• 1 month later...

Made it up here! It was an adventure and the TL;DR, or the short of it, version - uhauls suck ass for tall people, my original apartment I cannot fit into the shower, literally, and will be moving to an upgraded place a couple blocks away in May. Living out of boxes and going full on hippy since I can't shower. 

I like the neighborhood and Cheesman Park.  This strip of Colfax is an entertaining mix of junkies and the regular folk.  I found a bar that has Avery's Maharaja on tap and Pete's Kitchen is fucking good diner food that will be a legit hangover cure spot.  

• Like 1

isnt Cheesman full of the gays?

Why would you want to live in the hood with the gays when you can live in the oh so interesting burbs with all of the amazing diversity that comes with that everyone is straight white and coupled lifestyle?

Potential opp coming up to move to Denver for current company. I have a young kid with another one coming sooner than later so schools are important to me. Office will be downtown so I don’t want to live too far out. 

So far it seems like cherry creek, and Stapleton are near to downtown with good elementary schools. Any other areas to target?

22 hours ago, 936horn said:

Potential opp coming up to move to Denver for current company. I have a young kid with another one coming sooner than later so schools are important to me. Office will be downtown so I don’t want to live too far out. 

So far it seems like cherry creek, and Stapleton are near to downtown with good elementary schools. Any other areas to target?

Couldn't tell ya for schooling purposes.  There are quite a few neighborhoods/townships that I saw that were heavy on middle aged families with kiddos.  Wheatridge, Washington Park, etc.  Cherry Creek is nice and more bougie and has the mall if you're into that.  Plus, Scooters is in Cherry Creek and that's where the Texas Exes watch games.  

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, Doc Holliday said:

Couldn't tell ya for schooling purposes.  There are quite a few neighborhoods/townships that I saw that were heavy on middle aged families with kiddos.  Wheatridge, Washington Park, etc.  Cherry Creek is nice and more bougie and has the mall if you're into that.  Plus, Scooters is in Cherry Creek and that's where the Texas Exes watch games.  

Thanks - this has taken a bit longer to crystallize than I thought, but looks like we are on for EOY shipping out there. In all likelihood, it'll be a 2 to 3 year deal. Looking at home prices I can't see how its a good idea for me to drop cash on a house in the current market, so we are thinking maybe going rental. 

Couple more specific questions now that the time approaches - what's the thoughts on the market short term? Rent is better than buy if the horizon is 3 years or less right?

If we rent I could see going 4-5k/mo. Looks like enough to get into Cherry Creek, but if we are able to spend that amount, is there another neighborhood that is comparably nice? Keep in mind, I'll have to make it worth my Woodlands housewife's while to uproot and move to Denver, so a "nice" neighborhood is a plus if only so she doesn't bitch. 

My office is smack in the middle of downtown, and I am used to commuting about 45 mins, so anything that's like 30 mins or less would be great.

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Anybody, maybe @Schulz2.0 , have an opinion on a location that's easily accessible to the U of C Hospital complex in Aurora? Don't want anything too suburban-ish if that's at all avoidable.

Stapleton or Cherry Creek would fit the bill, depending on your budget.  Lowry is also nice.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1