Where to live in Denver Metro Area

Doc Holliday

End of the year and no later than March, I'll be moving to the Denver area. I work 100% remote and can live anywhere.  

For those that know the area, what parts should I focus my attention on for living?  Must be large dog friendly, would enjoy a social scene, grocery store close by, and a bar I can walk too. Ideally, I'd want something "affordable."  Not looking at downtown and not looking for child rearing suburbs. 

Gracias in advance. 

been a long fucking time since i lived there, but the aforementioned West Highlands, Sloans Lake, Wheat Ridge area was the trend of the sprawl for young professionals.  Pricing is probably nuts by now.  

Family suburbs is south - littleton, columbine.  Family yuppies is south east towards Cherry Creek.

I'd rather live west towards the mountain than east towards the plains

Edited by 52-80

3 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

End of the year and no later than March, I'll be moving to the Denver area. I work 100% remote and can live anywhere.  

For those that know the area, what parts should I focus my attention on for living?  Must be large dog friendly, would enjoy a social scene, grocery store close by, and a bar I can walk too. Ideally, I'd want something "affordable."  Not looking at downtown and not looking for child rearing suburbs. 

Gracias in advance. 

What is your budget?  Denver as a whole is not really all that affordable anymore.

55 minutes ago, dmtx said:

Evergreen is great. 2000 ft higher than denver. actually feels like ur in Colorado. saw a herd of elk stroll through my bro in laws yard. dont know much about Conifer except some friends like it  

My cousin has a rural property with a Conifer address that has a beautiful view looking down on the Denver metro. Several black bears roam her mountain and raid the trashcans regularly. It's an easy drive to and from Red Rocks.  There's a lot to like about the area.

Target range is $1,200 - $1,800/month although I can afford up to 2k/month and would rather not go that high if I don't have too.  

Thank you for the recommendations.  I'll be renting/leasing to begin with and goal would be to move further into the mountains after a year or three. 

I'll live with whatever traffic as it can't be as bad as Austin has been or my stint up in DC. 

58 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

Target range is $1,200 - $1,800/month although I can afford up to 2k/month and would rather not go that high if I don't have too.  

Thank you for the recommendations.  I'll be renting/leasing to begin with and goal would be to move further into the mountains after a year or three. 

I'll live with whatever traffic as it can't be as bad as Austin has been or my stint up in DC. 

Not going to find a whole lot in that range if you are looking to rent a house.  Park Hill would probably give you the most options.

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Ah, renting is a lot more affordable up there, especially if you do an apartment instead of a house.  My daughter (me) pays $1700 for a 3BR apt in Golden -- it's not nice/new, but it's not bad at all.  3-BR houses in that area are more like $2400 minimum.

1 hour ago, CO Horn said:

Not going to find a whole lot in that range if you are looking to rent a house.  Park Hill would probably give you the most options.

Sunnyside might be an option as well.  That neighborhood is really changing fast.  Not gonna sniff renting a house for $2k in any of the more desirable areas.

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Ah, renting is a lot more affordable up there, especially if you do an apartment instead of a house.  My daughter (me) pays $1700 for a 3BR apt in Golden -- it's not nice/new, but it's not bad at all.  3-BR houses in that area are more like $2400 minimum.

The hard part with an apartment depends on how big a big dog is in Doc's case.  Zeus would not be allowed at most apartments, even those that allow dogs.

I have some friends with a house they rent out in the West Highland area.  Actual house with a yard.  No idea what they charge and no idea what their pet policy is.  I visited them when they used to live in that house and I remember walking to some bars and restaurants.  That is all I've got.  

Morrison fit the bill?  Very small town-ish, Ready access to many parks/ nature trails for pup. Big stores are not that far away in Lakewood.  Still some decent eateries/ bars.

Damned close to Red Rocks and easy to go up into the mountains.

If DIA is part of your consideration, that would be one drawback, with regard to commute.

16 hours ago, CO Horn said:

Not sure if you need to get the airport a lot. If so, there is a light rail line that goes to the Airport.  There is a station at 38th & Blake, so you may want to look at River North area if that is the case.

I like the River North area except for the fact they call it RiNo

On 9/5/2018 at 8:19 AM, Doc Holliday said:

Gracias in advance. 

If you can live anywhere but need to be close to be Denver, why not head to somewhere like Leadville or Georgetown? 

26 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I have limited knowledge of Colorado; what would be better that is within a couple hours' drive of Denver, which I (possibly wrongly) assumed was the OP's wish? 

Golden or morrison.  Fuck being hours away...sometimes you need the big city restaurants, sporting events, and esp the airport

59 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Golden or morrison.  Fuck being hours away...sometimes you need the big city restaurants, sporting events, and esp the airport

Speaking of big city sporting events in Golden...

Have I mentioned that my daughter is running Blaster the Burro at the epic CSU-Pueblo@Mines football game next week? 

I have?  Whatever.  I literally can't remember being this excited about something.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, Chewbacca said:

The hard part with an apartment depends on how big a big dog is in Doc's case.  Zeus would not be allowed at most apartments, even those that allow dogs.

I have 2 dogs, Abbey is 55 pounds, and Bells is a 6 month old Eng.Bulldog/Labrador mix and weighs 48 pounds already.  I expect her to be close to 70 or 80 pounds when she's filled out. 

Living conditions will be determined on whether or not they can stay there.  

16 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

I have 2 dogs, Abbey is 55 pounds, and Bells is a 6 month old Eng.Bulldog/Labrador mix and weighs 48 pounds already.  I expect her to be close to 70 or 80 pounds when she's filled out. 

Living conditions will be determined on whether or not they can stay there.  

You should be good, then.  Most apartments out here are dog friendly, but most will prohibit dogs over 80#.  So just say she is 65-70 and you'll be good.  They don't get out scales or anything.

If you are willing to go the apartment route (especially if you're willing to get a 1BR) , you'll have a lot more options in your budget.  Based on your criteria, I'd look to be somewhere in Riverfront park.  I think it's the best downtown area for dogs as there is a big park right there where you can walk them.  And it's right in the big middle of everything.  Another option would be Wash Park.  A little bit away from downtown but still walkable to lots of restaurants, and again, a big park right at your door.  Golden is a great choice for getting away from downtown, but food choices are much more limited, Morrison even moreso.  Gets you closer to the mountains, though.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, Beau Vine said:

Speaking of big city sporting events in Golden...

Have I mentioned that my daughter is running Blaster the Burro at the epic CSU-Pueblo@Mines football game next week? 

I have?  Whatever.  I literally can't remember being this excited about something.

Your daughter is doing a donkey show?

Sub-fuckin-scribed.

Edited by TornACL
  • Haha 1

Last year I spent a month near Denver. One of my goals was to decide between Denver or "the mountains" if I ever moved there. I chose the mountains. I found Denver kind of ugly, and not high enough. If I had to move, I would want to live in a place like Conifer. It's high, and if you need to drive to Denver it's maybe 30 minutes away.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 9:44 AM, XYZ said:

Last year I spent a month near Denver. One of my goals was to decide between Denver or "the mountains" if I ever moved there. I chose the mountains. I found Denver kind of ugly, and not high enough. If I had to move, I would want to live in a place like Conifer. It's high, and if you need to drive to Denver it's maybe 30 minutes away.

getting high seems to be popular...

and @Napolean, my cousin in Lakewood said it was snowing there earlier this week.  Winter is coming...

Edited by slorch