Netflix to produce Witcher series starring Henry Cavill

Michael Knight

Season finale was not compelling. 

This series is better as a series of short stories, when the humor and creativity comes out.

When it needs to piece together a cohesive narrative, it's obvious the backbone isn't as strong as a game of thrones or LOTR or whatever.  The depth of world building isn't there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

While I can appreciate Yennefer’s breasts the show is called “The Witcher” not “Let’s spend 80% of the show on Yennefer’s stupid backstory that no one cares about”

need more focus on when she was naked and writhing with the Gin symbol on her lower abs...  that was a good scene

21 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I agree with most everyone else on here. Watched the whole series and was pretty entertained I guess but had no idea what was happening overall.

It was like a collection of various scenes with a high production value and just stitched together to try and create a story

So, would you say it resembled an expensive RPG?

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So, would you say it resembled an expensive RPG?

Yes, for sure.  The Striga/Yennifer transformation episode, there’s a ton a really, really subtle storyline tells dealing with timeline,  but if you blink you will miss them.  I had to rewind a couple of times to get where that episode happened in the story line. The mishmash timeline makes things terribly confusing since you don’t have the ability like in a book to stop and look back two chapters.

For anyone who's discovering this series via TV, the books are fantastic if you like the fantasy genre, and the games are also very well regarded, though can have a bit of a learning curve. There's nothing wrong with setting the games to the easiest mode and just playing through them for the story. There's a ton of side story and world-building in both the books and the games.

19 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I’m only halfway through the season, but I don’t get all the complaints about the timeline. If you were confused, you just weren’t paying attention. It’s all there.

it’s definitely not meant to be watched by those looking at their phone, surfing surly, or otherwise distracted. Had to rewatch the first four eps  immediately after finishing the fourth, and yeah it was all there. 

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

it’s definitely not meant to be watched by those looking at their phone, surfing surly, or otherwise distracted. Had to rewatch the first four eps  immediately after finishing the fourth, and yeah it was all there. 

Same, had to rewatch

While the fight choreography was pretty great throughout, the best fight choreography by far was the Blaviken scene from episode 1, which was apparently a full reshoot. I expect Season 2 will employ more of that level of badassery in the choreography.

And despite a lot of negative critic reviews, the show is the most popular thing on Netflix right now, which pretty much makes it the most popular show in the world. 

Edited by Sejjr

The show is weird. Some of the stuff is really great, like the Yen transformation scene, the Striga, the fight at Blaviken, and then the Golden Dragon shows up looking like Dragonheart 9: the Search for Spock straight to VHS. Whoever said this was a modern Kevin Sorbo Hercules nailed it. 

Book: Dwarves are short, stocky badasses

Show: Dwarves are just small people who say rude things and do nothing. They're like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

haven't played the games haven't read the books followed the timeline just fine.  calanthe dies - data point.  reference that calanthe is a teenage girl and won her first battle - data point.  calanthe at a suitor's ball - data point.  just have to put your phone down and watch. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://deadline.com/2020/07/netflix-the-witcher-blood-origin-spinoff-series-1202995701/

Getting a spinoff/prequel

Netflix has announced The Witcher: Blood Origin, a limited series from The Witcheruniverse.  6 parts, live-action.

Spoiler

Blood Origin will be a six part, live-action limited series, and a prequel to the streamer’s series The Witcher. Set in an elven world 1,200 years before the world of The Witcher, the show will chart the origins of the very first Witcher, and the events that lead to the pivotal “conjunction of the spheres,” when the worlds of monsters, men, and elves merged to become one.