Remembering What Mack Did Well

MaybeACoordinator

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

He recruited really really well (like this stellar 2018 haul would be ho-hum for the Mack years).

He won at football.

I think his downfall had nothing to do with complacency.  I think he failed to adjust his football culture for the millenials.  The word "entitled" got thrown around a lot back then, but I don't think at the time we realized it was a generational shift.

Totally disagree about complacency. You could see it on his waistline. One year he was trim and hungry looking, and the next year he was fat and happy....Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to you in life is to achieve your goals, and it appears that was what happened with Mack winning an NC.

I don't know. The last 5 years has me looking back fondly on the Mack days. Before Mack, Texas was irrelevant outside of a scant few years in the mid 90s. After Mack, back to irrelevant. But this was the risk we took when we pushed him out because he wasn't winning 10 games any more. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I think his downfall had nothing to do with complacency.  I think he failed to adjust his football culture for the millenials.  The word "entitled" got thrown around a lot back then, but I don't think at the time we realized it was a generational shift.

Not sure if it was complacency or not.  As much as anything, he never got over Marcel Darius taking out McCoy.   Pouted and reflected on what "could have / should have been".  Never put that behind him or, by the time he did, it was too late. 

Generally his teams didn't beat themselves...never appreciated this until the last several years. His teams were not "dumb"

Special teams were always really good (NC St game in 99 notwithstanding)...also took this for granted 

He wasn't perfect but he was a damn good coach. We always get into Xs and Os and how he didn't absolutely maximize what could have been. But to me he should be judged by the net result of everything - and the result was pretty damn good. 

Mack is the 2nd best coach in the history of Texas football. He did a whole lot of things well. At the end, it was time for him to go, but his time here was a great run for this program. We weren't very relevant before he got here, and we haven't been since he left, that tells me all I need to know.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

One of these days, I’m going to spend a day analyzing the 4th quarter of every game in the FUPM years... okay, not the blowout losses to OU, but every other game.

I know I will find that Mack had an unmatched record of winning games on Texas’ last possession, be it the final minutes or final seconds. Tech 08 is one of the very few losses, and it would have been yet another late win if Colt could manage the clock, Gideon could catch or if Earl Thomas didn’t decide to become a spectator  

i don’t even have to look at other coaches to know that he has the best record of last chance victories of any coach in his era.

I am repeating myself, but it’s true. Every one of you knew we would win if we trailed by less than a touchdown, had the ball and a minute on the clock. 

Just went over each box score from 1998-2013. Entering the 4th quarter, if we had a 10 point lead or less including tied, Mack was 40-9 and that even includes the bad years. The nine losses were:

- Tech 1998 (led 21-20; lost 35-42)

- NC State 1999 (led 17-9; lost 20-23)

- aggy 1999 (led 16-13; lost 16-20)

- *Oregon 2000 (tied 21-21; lost 30-35)

- blowu 2002 (led 17-14; lost 24-35)

- Tech 2002 (tied 28-28; lost 38-42)

- aggy 2006 (led 7-6; lost 6-12)

- Baylor 2010 (led 19-17; lost 22-30)

- West Virginia 2012 (led 38-34; lost 48-45)

*Bowl Game

When trailing by 10 points or less entering the 4th quarter, Mack was 10-11. The 10 comebacks were:

- Baylor 1998 (down 8-13, won 30-20)

- *Michigan 2005 (down 21-31, won 38-37)

- Ohio State 2005 (down 16-22, won 25-22)

- *USC 2006 (down 23-24, won 41-38)

- Tech 2006 (down 28-31, won 35-31)

- *Iowa 2006 (down 20-21, won 26-24)

- Nebraska 2007 (down 9-17, won 28-25)

- BYU 2011 (down 10-16, won 17-16)

- Kansas 2012 (down 7-14, won 21-17)

- *Oregon State 2012 (down 17-27, won 31-27)

*Bowl Game

So if Texas was +/- 10 points entering the 4th quarter, Texas was 50-20 under Mack or .714. I believe the largest 4th quarter comeback under Mack was 2007 Oklahoma State (down 14-35; won 38-35). Another large comeback was the 2000 Holiday Bowl down 16 entering the 4th. The largest lead given up resulting in a loss in the 4th quarter was 8 against NC State in 1999. Most of Mack's losses the games were over in the first half. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Just went over each box score from 1998-2013. Entering the 4th quarter, if we had a 10 point lead or less including tied, Mack was 40-9 and that even includes the bad years. The nine losses were:

*Bowl Game

When trailing by 10 points or less entering the 4th quarter, Mack was 10-11. The 10 comebacks were:

*Bowl Game

So if Texas was +/- 10 points entering the 4th quarter, Texas was 50-20 under Mack or .714. I believe the largest 4th quarter comeback under Mack was 2007 Oklahoma State (down 14-35; won 38-35). Another large comeback was the 2000 Holiday Bowl down 16 entering the 4th. The largest lead given up resulting in a loss in the 4th quarter was 8 against NC State in 1999. Most of Mack's losses the games were over in the first half. 

Wow.  It feels like somebody should pay you for that labor.  I mean . . . someone other than me.

46 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

*Bowl Game

*Bowl Game

I wasn’t talking about who lead after the 3rd Q, I was talking about last possession wins or losses. If one team got the ball back with only a minute or so and won in the final minute like aggy ‘98 and aggy ‘11 (neither make your list but would make mine).  KU ‘04 probably qualifies as well, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

With Mack there was a lot of competent football being played.  Even after a loss (excepting OU and Kstate), there was analysis that could be done, criticism of a tactical error here or there, a timeout not taken, a critical call here and there..football stuff that could be debated and discussed as nuance of the game.  Up until the last few years an analytical fan could really sink their teeth into game film and have some pretty good stuff to get them through the week until the next game.

It was time for MB to step down, but lets not forget the state of Texas Football when he got there.  Akers had his moments.  McWilliams. Mackovic.  Awful.  And the brass wanted Barnett from Colorado.  Had DKR not stepped in....I have zero faith this university can hire a coach worth a damn. 

Then Mack comes in and flips the CFB recruiting script with early commitments.  Basically forced RC into retirement.  It bit him in the ass later when players had sub-par Sr seasons.  But it was a massive shift.  Anyone else miss the feeling of debating whether Texas was "only" going to win 9 or 10 games and get the chance to play for a top tier bowl game?  

Or how the offense adapted from power running with Ricky, to the zone read, then back again with Colt...whom he got damn lucky with.  Extended his tenure.  Still, he did well with him.

Then missed on RG3, and Manziel, possibly Winston (rumor he would have entertained an offer), Luck was always going OOS, and shit the bed with GG and the rest of the laughable QB's up until what we have today. 

53 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Even after a loss (excepting OU and Kstate), there was analysis that could be done, criticism of a tactical error here or there, a timeout not taken, a critical call here and there..football stuff that could be debated and discussed as nuance of the game.

Like not playing talented underclassmen until AFTER the annual loss to OU - only to see how well they could then finish off the rest of the season.  Mack would get so wound up on the sideline overthinking everything...he looked as miserable as a dog trying to pass a peach seed.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Like not playing talented underclassmen until AFTER the annual loss to OU - only to see how well they could then finish off the rest of the season.  Mack would get so wound up on the sideline overthinking everything...he looked as miserable as a dog trying to pass a peach seed.  

Yeah, like that, except with game film.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:
It was time for MB to step down, but lets not forget the state of Texas Football when he got there.  Akers had his moments.  McWilliams. Mackovic.  Awful.  And the brass wanted Barnett from Colorado.  Had DKR not stepped in....I have zero faith this university can hire a coach worth a damn. 

Then Mack comes in and flips the CFB recruiting script with early commitments.  Basically forced RC into retirement.  It bit him in the ass later when players had sub-par Sr seasons.  But it was a massive shift.  Anyone else miss the feeling of debating whether Texas was "only" going to win 9 or 10 games and get the chance to play for a top tier bowl game?  

Or how the offense adapted from power running with Ricky, to the zone read, then back again with Colt...whom he got damn lucky with.  Extended his tenure.  Still, he did well with him.

Then missed on RG3, and Manziel, possibly Winston (rumor he would have entertained an offer), Luck was always going OOS, and shit the bed with GG and the rest of the laughable QB's up until what we have today. 

Yes ^^ this is a pretty good representation of the Mack Era. He needed to go but there's no mistake we haven't recovered from pushing him into the broadcast booth.

52 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ricky Williams deserves some credit for making Mack into Mack at Texas.  I'm not sure Mack ever gets it fully off the ground if Ricky doesn't stay for his Senior season.  Ricky had nearly 2,000 yards and 25 TDs for a garbage 4-7 1997 team.  He was nearly a full yard better in YPC than his Heisman season.  On top of that, nobody else could do shit on our team in 97 and defenses still couldn't stop Ricky. 

But you can't discount Mack's coaching either.  In 98, Mack threw a freshman QB in there with Ricky and everyone lit up the scoreboard.  Then Cory Redding signs and the defense started to get cleaned up too.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I wasn’t talking about who lead after the 3rd Q, I was talking about last possession wins or losses. If one team got the ball back with only a minute or so and won in the final minute like aggy ‘98 and aggy ‘11 (neither make your list but would make mine).  KU ‘04 probably qualifies as well, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it. 

Well here's a quick and dirty list after skimming the drive chart of close games. These are score changes with less than a min on the clock, plus a couple defensive stops late:

Oklahoma State: go ahead field goal w/ 0:03 remaining (Stockton). Win 37-34

aggy: go ahead field goal w/ 0:05 remaining (Stockton). Win 26-24

tech:  run by Tech w/ 0:25 remaining (Peters). Lost 42-35

Iowa State: go ahead field goal w/ 0:00 remaining (Stockton). Win 44-41. 

Washington: 3 yard TD run w/ 0:38 remaining (Williams). Win 47-43. 

KState: Block FG to keep lead w/ 0:00 remaining (Tubbs). Win 16-13.

Nebraska: Intercept ball on Texas 1 yard line to end game winning drive w/ 0:10 remaining. (Vasher) Win 27-24. 

Tech: Go ahead touchdown w/ 0:46 remaining (Mock -> Johnson). Win 43-40.

Kansas: Go ahead touchdown w/ 0:11 remaining (Young -> Jefferey). Win 27-23.

Michigan: Go ahead FG w/ 0:00 remaining (Mangum). Win 38-37.

USC: Go ahead touchdown run w/ 0:19 remaining (Young). Win 41-38.

Nebraska: Go ahead FG w/ 0:23 remaining (Bailey). Win 22-20. 

Oklahoma State: Go ahead FG w/ 0:00 remaining (Bailey). Win 38-35.

Tech: Go ahead touchdown w/ 0:01 remaining (Harrell -> Crabtree). Lost 33-39.  

Ohio State: Go ahead touchdown w/ 0:23 remaining (McCoy -> Cosby). Win 24-21

Nebraska: Go ahead FG w/ 0:00 remaining (Lawrence). Win 13-12. 

aggy: Go ahead FG w/ 0:00 remaining (Tucker). Win 27-25.

WVU: FG to tie game to send to OT w/ 0:13 remaining (Fera). Win in OT 47-40.

ISU: Go ahead TD run w/ 0:51 remaining (McCoy). Win 31-30.

Tl;dr His 16 seasons aged the fan base 50+ years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Ricky Williams deserves some credit for making Mack into Mack at Texas.  I'm not sure Mack ever gets it fully off the ground if Ricky doesn't stay for his Senior season.  Ricky had nearly 2,000 yards and 25 TDs for a garbage 4-7 1997 team.  He was nearly a full yard better in YPC than his Heisman season.  On top of that, nobody else could do shit on our team in 97 and defenses still couldn't stop Ricky. 

But you can't discount Mack's coaching either.  In 98, Mack threw a freshman QB in there with Ricky and everyone lit up the scoreboard.  Then Cory Redding signs and the defense started to get cleaned up too.

Ricky was/is a weird bird.  I'll give Mack full credit for figuring that dude out.  Keeping him around.  And....basically keeping him around.  Not all pivotal moments have to be complicated.  They just have to work.  

*and obligatory move Redding to LB!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ricky was/is a weird bird.  I'll give Mack full credit for figuring that dude out.  Keeping him around.  And....basically keeping him around.  Not all pivotal moments have to be complicated.  They just have to work.  

*and obligatory move Redding to LB!!!!

He is definitely a weird one.  I also missed his passing TD in 97.  He had 26 TDs out of a total 35 that year.  Easily our 2nd best RB ever, and maybe the best although nostalgia has me put Earl first.  Either one could have had the cheerleading team for an O-Line and still run for 100 yards a game.

But that Ricky "recruit to stay" job Mack did is really what made Mack the recruiter he became.  And he was able to handle all types of personalities very well.  He wasn't the Saban type who treats everyone like shit.  The players loved Mack.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not sure if it was complacency or not.  As much as anything, he never got over Marcel Darius taking out McCoy.   Pouted and reflected on what "could have / should have been".  Never put that behind him or, by the time he did, it was too late. 

This.

His plan was to walk off into the sunset after winning a second championship and, when that happened, he had no Plan B.

1 minute ago, AustinMT said:

This.

His plan was to walk off into the sunset after winning a second championship and, when that happened, he had no Plan B.

And what he did have:  his plan for transitioning to a "power running game" to take the pressure off having to have a transcendent QB.....still to this day hasn't been achieved.  Texas had no offensive identity to fall back on, and Mack had already cycled through the usual "fire all the coordinators before they fire me" coach strategy.  Manny Diaz and his god da*m cleats on the sideline.  For fuks sake.....

3 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

This.

To be fair, I never got over that as a fan either.  Its easier to deal with a straight up loss with full strength squads.  The real problem for "feels" is that we didn't get blown out with Gilbert making it seem like we would have won pretty easily had McCoy played.  I also always felt terrible for Colt.  One of the only times as a fan that I've truly felt bad for a player.

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

To be fair, I never got over that as a fan either.  Its easier to deal with a straight up loss with full strength squads.  The real problem for "feels" is that we didn't get blown out with Gilbert making it seem like we would have won pretty easily had McCoy played.  I also always felt terrible for Colt.  One of the only times as a fan that I've truly felt bad for a player.

Understood.  The difference is he was the head coach, and was supposed to have a backup plan and be able to get on with it

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The 2008 team was better than the 2009.  That's what really kills me.  FU Gideon.  Hit you right in the hands.  In the hands!  And even then, the 2009 team was moving the ball.  Alabama wasn't transitioned to stopping the spread.  To this day, I still say Texas wins that game by 10 points with a healthy Colt.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The 2008 team was better than the 2009.  That's what really kills me.  FU Gideon.  Hit you right in the hands.  In the hands!  And even then, the 2009 team was moving the ball.  Alabama wasn't transitioned to stopping the spread.  To this day, I still say Texas wins that game by 10 points with a healthy Colt.  

The 2008 team lost fair and square to Tech.  Yeah, we should have won, but we didn't, and we got fucked by the polls, but its not quite the same type of heartbreak as 2009.

And yeah, I think we beat Bama easily with a healthy Colt.  They didn't have an offense that could score with us.  I think Saban knew that too which is why he went Les Miles and faked a punt in his own territory on the first drive of the game.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Understood.  The difference is he was the head coach, and was supposed to have a backup plan and be able to get on with it

Oh, I agree with that.  If he planned to retire after that game, he should have done it win or lose.  But maybe he was prepared to do that if he had lost with a healthy Colt. 

And he certainly fucked up after that trying to put together Bama type teams that only needed a bus driver QB.  His big mistake was looking at Bama as a guide.  First, Bama itself would have never come out of that Big 12 unscathed.  Even good defensive teams ended up in 2 or 3 shootouts when they played spread teams every week.  Second, OU and Tech ran spread offenses built on Texas talent.  They also were able to plug and play QBs.  That should have been his guide rather than Bama.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I've confessed this before on here but within minutes of Colt going down, I allowed my football-hating wife to put on that movie where Meryl Streep played Julia Child.  I knew we had no chance of beating Bama with GG in there, even before we knew what a bust he would be, and it would just be hours of agony. Plus, we had just gotten together and I knew it would increase my chances of getting laid that night....Can't remember if it worked or not, but it was worth a shot. 

Turns out I might have been better off watching that same movie instead of Texas football every fall Saturday for the last ten years. 

16 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Mack's legacy would be golden, but where are we now if Colt isn't hurt and Mack rides off in the sunset leaving Muschamp to clean up all the rot that we weren't aware of at the time? 

One of the great What Ifs of CFB. Maybe Muschamp doesn't blow here the way he did at FLA. 

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've confessed this before on here but within minutes of Colt going down, I allowed my football-hating wife to put on that movie where Meryl Streep played Julia Child.  I knew we had no chance of beating Bama with GG in there, even before we knew what a bust he would be, and it would just be hours of agony. Plus, we had just gotten together and I knew it would increase my chances of getting laid that night....Can't remember if it worked or not, but it was worth a shot. 

Turns out I might have been better off watching that same movie instead of Texas football every fall Saturday for the last ten years. 

I watched the whole thing.  We had a chance until near the very end.  Still, the next week on HF and shaggy, people were rewatching the game and breaking down plays.  I can't imagine anything I'd rather do less than watch any part of that game again.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I watched the whole thing.  We had a chance until near the very end.  Still, the next week on HF and shaggy, people were rewatching the game and breaking down plays.  I can't imagine anything I'd rather do less than watch any part of that game again.

The movie ended in time for me to flip back over to the game, just in time to see GG throw the pick that sealed the deal. 

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

One of the great What Ifs of CFB. Maybe Muschamp doesn't blow here the way he did at FLA. 

Boom's overrated.  But I think he keeps Texas in the lanes for a few more seasons based upon talent alone.  He's not a rebuilder.  He also probably doesn't have concurrent losing seasons and lose to KU either....dark times we are in gents.  Dark times...

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Possible but we had zero skill position talent and no offensive line, I don't see how we don't fall off significantly the first year.  He may recruited better in 2010 though to better right the ship, but seeing how clueless he was on offense at Florida I don't see it.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Boom's overrated.  But I think he keeps Texas in the lanes for a few more seasons based upon talent alone.  He's not a rebuilder.  He also probably doesn't have concurrent losing seasons and lose to KU either....dark times we are in gents.  Dark times...

I was so all-in on the succession plan after 2005. It all seemed so simple then. Let's talk about the good old days...

• Like 1