1st time visit to Austin

Litig8r

We are flying in to see Fleetwood Mac (wife's choice) in February.  Looking for all kinds of recs like where to stay and eat etc.  There are Guild hotels which look like converted condos that seem cool.  I want to go to Stubbs because so much of the music that I love was recorded there.You guys steered me right with Javier's in Dallas.  Basically we need hi end place to eat, a dive to eat and other can't miss deals.  TIA.  

The food at Stubbs isn't very good, but it is a cool venue. If I were you, I'd try to get a room at the San Jose on S. Congress. It's across the street from the Continental Club, which has great live music pretty much every night, and close to a number of good restaurants. Also just a short Uber drive (or not too bad of walk depending on the weather) from downtown.

You should try some Central Texas barbecue when you're here.  Franklin is great, but you might not want to spend and entire morning waiting.  Micklethwait Craft Meats or La Barbecue would be my recommendations.  You can pre-order from La Barbecue 3-days in advance and skip waiting in line.

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Tell your wife that Fleetwood Mac isn't Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham. 

She goes with me to see stuff she don't like.  I get to go to Austin so it's all good.  She is going to Switzerland with me to tour with Jason Eady and Courtney Patton.  (She likes them)

I guess to make it easy on y'all since Fleetwood Mac is the primary purpose of your visit, do you want to stay near the venue?  I'd skip that weird Holiday Inn across the street, but there are a few good hotels within a half-mile walk/15 minutes tops.  Which that time of year should be nice.  Let us know where you plan to stay and we can build you out some suggestions for food, lodging, and general shenanigans based on that.  Red River was never a place to meet, greet, and eat for the longest time.  But you can actually have a great Austin experience around the Erwin Center these days (including a colonoscopy at the new Seton hospital just a few blocks down).  

1 hour ago, Litig8r said:

We are flying in to see Fleetwood Mac (wife's choice) in February.  Looking for all kinds of recs like where to stay and eat etc.  There are Guild hotels which look like converted condos that seem cool.  I want to go to Stubbs because so much of the music that I love was recorded there.You guys steered me right with Javier's in Dallas.  Basically we need hi end place to eat, a dive to eat and other can't miss deals.  TIA.  

In order to frame a response:

1)  How old are you?

2)  What type of food do you like?

3)  What type of hotel are you looking for (i.e. what does your wife like for a hotel, which is pretty much the determining factor on this one)?

20 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

I think I'd like to go to LBJ library.  We went to W's library when we went to see the Eagles at the Deathstar. 

And last personal question---what's a reasonable amount for y'all to walk in a given day?  1 mile, 3 miles, 5 miles, none at all?  

Just now, AustinMT said:

In order to frame a response:

1)  How old are you?

2)  What type of food do you like?

3)  What type of hotel are you looking for (i.e. what does your wife like for a hotel, which is pretty much the determining factor on this one)?

I'm an olds  58-going on 22.  I love live music but mainly alt country or americana\

Need some texas BBQ.  We did Javiers in Dallas and enjoyed it.  Something unique would be nice.

Not to particular on hotels just something Omni/Hiltonish.  Not Red Roof inn and not Ritz Carl.  

2 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

I'm an olds  58-going on 22.  I love live music but mainly alt country or americana\

Need some texas BBQ.  We did Javiers in Dallas and enjoyed it.  Something unique would be nice.

Not to particular on hotels just something Omni/Hiltonish.  Not Red Roof inn and not Ritz Carl.  

OK:

1.  Agree with the post above that Stubb's is not a place to eat BBQ.  The suggestions for La Barbeque and Micklethwait are spot-on.  Stiles Switch is also very good, and probably less crowded

2.  Hotels:  you mentioned Omni and HIlton.  Nothing wrong with those, though they are kind of cookie-cutter.  For downtown, think about the Kimpton Van Zandt or Driskill for something different.  Places like the San Jose are cool, but a bit too hipster for my age.  Have not been to the new Fairmount, so can't say what it is like.

3.  If it' s not too cold, check out the view from Mt. Bonnell, esp. near sunset.  Pretty awesome.

4.  High end dining:  so  many great places in Austin now, and you will get a lot of different recommendations.  Look at  Fixe -- downtown, great food, great atmosphere.  Prices are reasonable as well, and they have a good wine list.

I would think the AT&T Conference Center hotel on the south edge of campus would be a good choice, since it's walking distance to the concert, the Capitol, the LBJ Library, various museums, etc.  It's probably not a walk to many good restaurants but it's a very short Uber ride.  Looks like they have rooms Feb 8 & 9.  ~ $170 per night.

AT&T hotel

Hotel 11 on 11th.   Good views from the top.  Short walks to downtown or very short and easy rideshare around town. 

Close to Franklin's if you want to wait in line.  One of y'all can sleep in and the other wait in line till lunch time.  Micklethwait's (recommended) just a few blocks away.

Plenty of dive tex-mex just to the East. 

8 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Great idea on Mt. Bonnell. Got engaged on the concrete picnic table at the top. Excellent view of Austin and DKR.

Dry Creek Saloon/Cafe is close by, as well as Hula Hut.

anything else happen on the picnic table.  Pics????

12 hours ago, Litig8r said:

I just stayed at Guild a couple of weeks ago. The room was nice and had a lot of amenities including a washer/dryer, kitchen and even a record player. It did have a marijuana scent to it though.

My big issue though was that check-in was a big pain in the ass. It's a long process where you park in a specific area in the garage , then enter codes to get into your room, then you take the fob from your room, go all the way back to your car then park it in a completely different yet very specific area in the garage.  What's even more annoying about all of this is since you're in a parking garage, the internet on your phone doesn't work so you either have to memorize the check-in steps or make screenshots of all the steps. Also there's no front desk person, you interact with Guild through text or phone only.

I have mixed feelings about whether it's worth the time commitment (couple of hours, round trip all in), but for a furriner to experience Texas BBQ, my first choice would be to head to Lockhart (probably Kreuz for the experience, Black's for consistent quality), Taylor (Louie Mueller) or Luling (City Market).

If you want a hotel that feels old school with a cool/historic western motif bar, stay at the Driskill.  You want a bit more hip and close to a lot of bars, then stay at the Van Zandt. 

A day of food for someone visiting Austin for the first time should look something like this:

(1) Breakfast -- start the day with a breakfast taco.  Veracruz All Natural is a good place for this.  Taco Joint is another personal favorite. 

(2) Lunch - -get bbq.  If you are not from Texas, then any of the following places will likely serve you the best bbq you have ever had: Franklin; Mickelthwait; LaBBQ; Kerlin; Leroy & Lewis; Valentina's 

(3)  Nice dinner options -- you can't go wrong with Uchi; Odd Duck; Launderette; Justine's; Kemuri; or Suerte

After all that, take your lady out two stepping.  Broken Spoke if you don't mind other tourist, or White Horse if you don't mind hipsters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have mixed feelings about whether it's worth the time commitment (couple of hours, round trip all in), but for a furriner to experience Texas BBQ, my first choice would be to head to Lockhart (probably Kreuz for the experience, Black's for consistent quality), Taylor (Louie Mueller) or Luling (City Market).

What's it like to wake up from a decade long coma?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

After all that, take your lady out two stepping.  Broken Spoke if you don't mind other tourist, or White Horse if you don't mind hipsters. 

Friday/Saturday nights have gotten unbearable at White Horse. Hipsters/Tourists crowding the dance floor shoulder-to-shoulder, no common sense. Thursday or Sunday would be a blast though.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is assuming they want to experience "Texas" though, and not be amidst the throngs of hipsters and tourists in Generic Millenial City. And this is coming from a resident of the most gentrified part of the city.

If I were visiting I'd put it on a different trip though. Maybe a central Texas town trip.

5 minutes ago, chitwood said:

The best Lockhart BBQ would be lucky to be in the top 5 of Austin nowadays.

Yeah, but both Louis Mueller and Smitty's have iconic buildings which add to the experience for those wanting to discover traditional, meat market style barbecue.  I'd put Louis Mueller beef ribs against any in Austin, too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah, but both Louis Mueller and Smitty's have iconic buildings which add to the experience for those wanting to discover traditional, meat market style barbecue.  I'd put Louis Mueller beef ribs against any in Austin, too.

Yeah this was my point. I left off Smittys because it is the experience but by most measures shit. 

Sure you can get good cue in town now, but that wasn't the point, hence use of the term experience

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

don't overthink it.  you'll be on a tourist high on the visit.  as such, everything you see will be the coolest shit ever, everything will automatically taste better, the air will feel 10 degrees cooler, everyone will look less fat and way more attractive, etc.

breakfast, there are tons of breakfast places.  there are too many good breakfast taco places to list.  a good place for breakfast/brunch is z tejas off west sixth down in clarksville area.  i know it's fallen out of favor with the younger crowed but i've never had a bad meal there.  the brunch menu is fantastic.  plus they make great mimosas (hard not to do) and bloody marys.  

lunch, bbq.  you want to stay close to dtown.  that's the allure of being a tourist in austin.  as such, hit up micklethwait.  it's damn near as good as franklins without the stupid fucking wait.  or la bbq, but expect some wait.

dinner, yelp is your friend.  we have high dollar, small plates places to good down home places like hoovers cooking.  just depends on what you want.  you can get tapas in any city but i'm a fan of barlata.  most things they do well, some things they don't.  the stuffed squid in squid ink is to die for.  and i recommend hoovers.  it's won't be high on anyone's list but it's a good down home food place that is a staple in austin.

or drive out to the oasis and watch the sunset.  food is meh, drinks are good, view is fantastic.

paddle board town lake.  that's a great way to spend a few hours.  rent from Texas Rowing Center.  it usually has better cleaner water in that area.  plus with the east or southeast wind, it's a great place to paddle against the wind towards dtown to start and then slowly drift back with the wind on your way back to the dock.  do the paddling up front and enjoy the ride back.  plus texas rowing center has copious amounts of free parking.  

walk town lake in the morning.  do the 3 mile loop between mopac and lamar pedestrian bridge.  you can exercise it (run or brisk walk) or leisurely stroll it with cup of coffee in hand.  good eye candy.

see the capitol building. 

Edited by crash_davis