1st time visit to Austin

Litig8r

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are four couples going on this trip.  We booked spa trips for the ladies on Friday afternoon, day drinking for the guys.  Ward Davis is playing at Stubbs on Thursday night, so that night is booked.  How about a nice restaurant rec for Friday night?

1 hour ago, Litig8r said:

There are four couples going on this trip.  We booked spa trips for the ladies on Friday afternoon, day drinking for the guys.  Ward Davis is playing at Stubbs on Thursday night, so that night is booked.  How about a nice restaurant rec for Friday night?

How nice?

Austin's restaurant scene has really exploded in recent years and it's hard (for me, at least) to keep up but here are a few that have been around for a while that we typically take out of town friends to:

nice traditional (kind of french american / steakhouse) -- jeffrey's

sushi / japanese / james beard winner -- uchi (my longtime favorite in Austin -- uchico is great too but i prefer the smaller original uchi)

fancy-ish bbq / Texas food (maybe not top tier bbq (save that for franklins, valentina's, etc.) but everything els on the menu is very good) and good downtown / walkable area -- lamberts

good italian south congress walkable -- vespaio

good seafood south congress walkable area -- perla's

good seafood not quite as walkable but pretty close to other bars / restaurants -- clark's

nice southern (and i think a james beard finalist) -- olamaie 

Jeffrey's, lamberts, perlas, and clarks are part of the mcguire moorman group (they also do elizabeth street (good vietnamese) and a few other places you can check out on their website).  They're pricey (and some would say overpriced) but i think they're all excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 12:06 PM, crash_davis said:

don't overthink it.  you'll be on a tourist high on the visit.  as such, everything you see will be the coolest shit ever, everything will automatically taste better, the air will feel 10 degrees cooler, everyone will look less fat and way more attractive, etc.

breakfast, there are tons of breakfast places.  there are too many good breakfast taco places to list.  a good place for breakfast/brunch is z tejas off west sixth down in clarksville area.  i know it's fallen out of favor with the younger crowed but i've never had a bad meal there.  the brunch menu is fantastic.  plus they make great mimosas (hard not to do) and bloody marys.  

lunch, bbq.  you want to stay close to dtown.  that's the allure of being a tourist in austin.  as such, hit up micklethwait.  it's damn near as good as franklins without the stupid fucking wait.  or la bbq, but expect some wait.

dinner, yelp is your friend.  we have high dollar, small plates places to good down home places like hoovers cooking.  just depends on what you want.  you can get tapas in any city but i'm a fan of barlata.  most things they do well, some things they don't.  the stuffed squid in squid ink is to die for.  and i recommend hoovers.  it's won't be high on anyone's list but it's a good down home food place that is a staple in austin.

or drive out to the oasis and watch the sunset.  food is meh, drinks are good, view is fantastic.

paddle board town lake.  that's a great way to spend a few hours.  rent from Texas Rowing Center.  it usually has better cleaner water in that area.  plus with the east or southeast wind, it's a great place to paddle against the wind towards dtown to start and then slowly drift back with the wind on your way back to the dock.  do the paddling up front and enjoy the ride back.  plus texas rowing center has copious amounts of free parking.  

walk town lake in the morning.  do the 3 mile loop between mopac and lamar pedestrian bridge.  you can exercise it (run or brisk walk) or leisurely stroll it with cup of coffee in hand.  good eye candy.

see the capitol building. 

These seem like good recs. I've got a buddy heading down there for Spring Break with his wife and their 5th grade daughter. Few days in Austin and then a few in SA. He's got the Franklin pre-order ordering window already on his calendar so that's his top agenda item. 

I've suggested The Oasis/Travis/the other place adjacent, Barton Springs (I haven't been there in 20 years - still cool?), Mt. Bonnell, capitol, bats (I've never done this but I know it's a thing). I've suggested Salt Lick for ambiance/experience not food on his way to SA. Anything else? Valentina's for breakfast maybe if they need more meat. 

What about SA? I haven't been there in 20 years and it was pretty much party on the Riverwalk. 

18 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

These seem like good recs. I've got a buddy heading down there for Spring Break with his wife and their 5th grade daughter. Few days in Austin and then a few in SA. He's got the Franklin pre-order ordering window already on his calendar so that's his top agenda item. 

I've suggested The Oasis/Travis/the other place adjacent, Barton Springs (I haven't been there in 20 years - still cool?), Mt. Bonnell, capitol, bats (I've never done this but I know it's a thing). I've suggested Salt Lick for ambiance/experience not food on his way to SA. Anything else? Valentina's for breakfast maybe if they need more meat. 

What about SA? I haven't been there in 20 years and it was pretty much party on the Riverwalk. 

Mendez Cafe on Bartholomew is my favorite old school Tex Mex diner in a city with thousands of them. They've been putting out combination platters and tacos since the 80s. It's tiny and you won't spot a single tourist in the joint.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:45 PM, Litig8r said:

Sounds like Clark's would be a good fit.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Clarks couldn't make reservations for party of 8  Liked the vibe though...Perlas is booked.  Don't really want far east food.  Give me something that says upscale Texas.

Edited by Litig8r

43 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

Clarks couldn't make reservations for party of 8  Liked the vibe though...Perlas is booked.  Don't really want far east food.  Give me something that says upscale Texas.

Jeffrey’s

Lonesome Dove

Fixe (though more Southern than Texas)

Ranch 616

On 1/7/2019 at 9:12 PM, Baboontyme said:

2M Smokehouse is legit BBQ in SA. Esaul was the pitmaster at La Barbecue after John Lewis left.

Tell him to spend some time at The Pearl development. It's way cool. Hotel Emma is the neatest hotel in Texas and one of the top places in the US. One of the most unique hotel bars you'll ever find. Good restaurants down there including Down on Grayson, La Gloria,  Supper, The Southerleigh and so on. The 5th grader might get a little bored. Are they staying at Hyatt Hill Country or the Marriott? Tons of great Tex-Mex (duh). They're tourists -- tell them to go to Mi Tierra. They don't necessarily have to eat there though the food is pretty good, it not over-priced (if that's even possible) and touristy.

OK..most all plans are made.  Flying in on SW and arrive at 3:00 on 2/7/19. Staying at the Driskill Going to try to make the free Colter Wall show @Waterloo records.  Have tickets to see Ward Davis at Stubbs that night.  Friday we have spa treatments in the late morning for the womens.  Friday night going 616 for dinner.  Wanted to go to Clark's but they couldn't take are reservation for 8 people.   Saturday night going to fleetwood mac.  Got to fill the time on Friday before dinner and Saturday before the FM show.  (frankly I could give a shit about seeing FM but the wife wants to see and therefore I get to cost to Austin) 

• 4 weeks later...

Update...Just got back.  Weather was shit the whole time.  Driskill was a great location and EVERY afternoon the bar was bumpin.  Like most old hotels there were issues but not really a big deal.  

Thursday we arrived late and decided to walk (rather than uber) to Waterloo for free Colter Wall show.  Didn't make the show but did get to talk to him.  Went to the bar next door for drinks and then headed to Stubbs for dinner before the Ward Davis show.  I really can't rate the BBQ at Stubbs because the collard greens were off the chain good.  Stubbs indoor was  a great happening venue.  Ward Davis was strong as new rope.

Next day, the ladies went to the Spa at the JW and the guys went to the LBJ library.   One thing I have learned from going to presidential libraries is the job as President must sux sweaty balls most of the time.  Headed back to the hotel for happy hour and the to Ranch 616.  Ranch 616 was super funky and a great find.  No way you would just stumble on that place.  

Saturday, we did a city tour which gave us a little more idea about how the different areas of the City.  We just ate at the hotel bar before the concert.  We had seats on the left of stage as you were facing the stage.  They were sort of from the back as well but they were great.  The sound was really good and you could see all the "goings on".  I am more of singer/songwriter type guy but every now and then you need to see a Rock and Roll extravaganza and FM filled that bill.  Mike Campbell was awesome fill it and Neil Finn did a great job on the vocals.  While the ladies couldn't hit the high notes anymore, they sounded fantastic.  

Had brunch at the hotel on Sunday and flew out Sunday afternoon.  Will go back for sure

• Like 2

Update...Just got back.  Weather was shit the whole time.  Driskill was a great location and EVERY afternoon the bar was bumpin.  Like most old hotels there were issues but not really a big deal.  
Thursday we arrived late and decided to walk (rather than uber) to Waterloo for free Colter Wall show.  Didn't make the show but did get to talk to him.  Went to the bar next door for drinks and then headed to Stubbs for dinner before the Ward Davis show.  I really can't rate the BBQ at Stubbs because the collard greens were off the chain good.  Stubbs indoor was  a great happening venue.  Ward Davis was strong as new rope.
Next day, the ladies went to the Spa at the JW and the guys went to the LBJ library.   One thing I have learned from going to presidential libraries is the job as President must sux sweaty balls most of the time.  Headed back to the hotel for happy hour and the to Ranch 616.  Ranch 616 was super funky and a great find.  No way you would just stumble on that place.  
Saturday, we did a city tour which gave us a little more idea about how the different areas of the City.  We just ate at the hotel bar before the concert.  We had seats on the left of stage as you were facing the stage.  They were sort of from the back as well but they were great.  The sound was really good and you could see all the "goings on".  I am more of singer/songwriter type guy but every now and then you need to see a Rock and Roll extravaganza and FM filled that bill.  Mike Campbell was awesome fill it and Neil Finn did a great job on the vocals.  While the ladies couldn't hit the high notes anymore, they sounded fantastic.  
Had brunch at the hotel on Sunday and flew out Sunday afternoon.  Will go back for sure

0e5e7ed9ecaa8d23b82c270884c8a58c.jpgbut this dude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/6/2018 at 10:56 AM, LonghornJones said:

Great idea on Mt. Bonnell. Got engaged on the concrete picnic table at the top. Excellent view of Austin and DKR.

Dry Creek Saloon/Cafe is close by, as well as Hula Hut.

20+ years ago I was hitting up the Dry Creek Saloon for a few buds after work. Is that place still open? No way in hell those old people who ran that place are still alive.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:16 PM, deac_tracy said:

I just stayed at Guild a couple of weeks ago. The room was nice and had a lot of amenities including a washer/dryer, kitchen and even a record player. It did have a marijuana scent to it though.

My big issue though was that check-in was a big pain in the ass. It's a long process where you park in a specific area in the garage , then enter codes to get into your room, then you take the fob from your room, go all the way back to your car then park it in a completely different yet very specific area in the garage.  What's even more annoying about all of this is since you're in a parking garage, the internet on your phone doesn't work so you either have to memorize the check-in steps or make screenshots of all the steps. Also there's no front desk person, you interact with Guild through text or phone only.

Jesus God, all of this. My wife and I stayed there and for reasons we had two cars. Don't multiple all that parking hassle by two, square it.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:48 AM, IDIOTsavant said:

LBJ and Bulluck are solid recs for general nerdery. I'd also throw in the Harry Ransom Center on campus. It always gets overlooked, but they have one of 20 surviving original Gutenberg bibles and the first photograph ever taken.

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/

Does the HRC still have E.A. Poe's desk?

There was also a similar dude at Stubbs trying real hard to be a cowboy.  Had 3 cans of Cope on the table, six empty silver bullets but he looked like Mr. Man bun above without the man bun but head to toe in Cinch Rodeo cloths.  The only thing he had roped lately was the buffet at some cheap ass tex mex.

We also hit Torchy's but damn you didn't tell me they didn't serve beer?  WTF with that.  That is fucking communist.  Tacos were excellent though, but I'd rather have had a little less excellence in my Taco and a little more cold in my beer.