Min Wage Increase Doesn't Impact Employement

Washpark

The onus is also on the population living in the area. SF residents should realize that any meal out should cost a min of 20-30 dollars to support the high cost of living in that area. Instead they build a robot to make burgers for 6 bucks. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sf.eater.com/platform/amp/2018/6/21/17489084/creator-robot-burgers-san-francisco

If all of the restaurants do close it would be the correct outcome. Until the local society is willing to pay the true cost they shouldn’t enjoy the service. 

Teachers cant afford to live in the cities they teach?  Close the schools. Parents will move to Where the schools are or the city will pay accordingly. 

All the more reason to keep flooding the country with unskilled labor. 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The onus is also on the population living in the area. SF residents should realize that any meal out should cost a min of 20-30 dollars to support the high cost of living in that area. Instead they build a robot to make burgers for 6 bucks. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sf.eater.com/platform/amp/2018/6/21/17489084/creator-robot-burgers-san-francisco

If all of the restaurants do close it would be the correct outcome. Until the local society is willing to pay the true cost they shouldn’t enjoy the service. 

Teachers cant afford to live in the cities they teach?  Close the schools. Parents will move to Where the schools are or the city will pay accordingly. 

Lots and lots of dumb in this post.

But I’ll simply address the hamburger cookin’ robot aspect of it. My guess is that people will not want a hamburger cooked by a robot, no matter how cheap the fucker comes through the chute, unless that’s the only thing they can afford. They will either go across the street and pay 55 cents more for the hamburger cooked by a human or buy the meat and bun and do it their own fuckin selves. 

When I was 16, the minimum wage was $3.35/hr. I've watched it get raised many times during my life. Every time the same alarmist warnings get made by the right. Every time they turn out to be wrong. When are you dumb motherfuckers ever going to wise up?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When I was 16, the minimum wage was $3.35/hr. I've watched it get raised many times during my life. Every time the same alarmist warnings get made by the right. Every time they turn out to be wrong. When are you dumb motherfuckers ever going to wise up?

But...I mean...THIS time....that's what will happen.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

But I’ll simply address the hamburger cookin’ robot aspect of it. My guess is that people will not want a hamburger cooked by a robot, no matter how cheap the fucker comes through the chute, unless that’s the only thing they can afford. They will either go across the street and pay 55 cents more for the hamburger cooked by a human or buy the meat and bun and do it their own fuckin selves. 

Do you have any data points for altruistic humans overriding capitalism? I’ve heard lots of arguments for raising the min wage, but consumers won’t support automation/robots over more expensive humans is a new one. Do you still head down to the pharmacy for the fountain jerk to mix your Dr Pepper?

When they released Flippy at $100k he couldn’t keep up with demand. V2.0 is supposed to be doing better.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/05/28/hamburger-making-robot-flippy-back-serving-300-burgers-day/649370002/

Spyce (automated woks) raised $21M in series A to start franchising.

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/bostinno-bytes/mit-born-spyce-raises-21m-series-a-to-open-new-robotic-restaurants/

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

il_570xN.1627408606_gqjf.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Do you have any data points for altruistic humans overriding capitalism? I’ve heard lots of arguments for raising the min wage, but consumers won’t support automation/robots over more expensive humans is a new one. Do you still head down to the pharmacy for the fountain jerk to mix your Dr Pepper?

When they released Flippy at $100k he couldn’t keep up with demand. V2.0 is supposed to be doing better.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/05/28/hamburger-making-robot-flippy-back-serving-300-burgers-day/649370002/

Spyce (automated woks) raised $21M in series A to start franchising.

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/bostinno-bytes/mit-born-spyce-raises-21m-series-a-to-open-new-robotic-restaurants/

Sure. And it has nothing to do with altruism.

One of the reasons Amazon bought Whole Foods was because as much as people like to buy shit online, they don’t like to buy food online. They like to see it, feel it, smell it, first etc. before actually buying it. There’s plenty of articles to support that, including the purchase of Whole Foods by Amazon itself. 

So my assumption based on that is they wont want some crap hamburger cooked by a robot shot down through a chute. Most people will simply say I’ll just cook it myself instead. And then there goes McDonalds. 

And lastly, hambuger flippers cost a grand total of $7 an hour. How much is the engineering, maintenance, and upgrade of a flippy and its various handlers and engineers gonna cost? My guess is it will cost more than the grand total of $7 an hour. 

31 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

And lastly, hambuger flippers cost a grand total of $7 an hour. How much is the engineering, maintenance, and upgrade of a flippy and its various handlers and engineers gonna cost? My guess is it will cost more than the grand total of $7 an hour. 

7 + 6.2% +unemployment tax+ o’care + any other benefits.

I know you want to be accurate when spending other people’s money.  Most leftists do.

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

7 + 6.2% +unemployment tax+ o’care + any other benefits.

I know you want to be accurate when spending other people’s money.  Most leftists do.

Yeah with all of that it’s a wonder how we have any fast food restaurants at all. 

They will either go across the street and pay 55 cents more for the hamburger cooked by a human or buy the meat and bun and do it their own fuckin selves. 

If the economics work for robots consumers will pay more for humans or quit buying fast food.

And try sticking a hamburger making’ flippy in Hutto Texas and see how far it gets ya. 

Economics of robots won’t work in some places, because reasons.

Nevermind it won’t be cheaper, the economics won’t work. (Assuming $7 not $15 min wage)

You’re usually pretty coherent, but what’s your actual position here, Jimmy?

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah but only thanks to trump. Obama tried to kill them all with healthcare but luckily dear leader showed up just in time to save us all. Ami right or ami right? 

The house actually should be passing min wage increases weekly.  Trump would probably sign it.  It would put Mitch and the Senate on the button.

1 minute ago, Llano Estacado said:

If the economics work for robots consumers will pay more for humans or quit buying fast food.

Economics of robots won’t work in some places, because reasons.

Nevermind it won’t be cheaper, the economics won’t work. (Assuming $7 not $15 min wage)

You’re usually pretty coherent, but what’s your actual position here, Jimmy?

My position is that when it comes to food the economics of automation and robots in the long run won’t work.

So basically increasing the minimum wage will not eventually lead to automation unless the ultimate goal is to destroy their own business model and cause consumers to seek out alternatives to get food, unless thats because it’s all they can afford. 

While I think automation will destroy jobs in certain industries and in fact already has, there are certain industries it won’t and it shouldn’t necessarily be a factor in discussions about minimum wage because if automation will destroy a minimum wage job, chances are it already has. 

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The house actually should be passing min wage increases weekly.  Trump would probably sign it.  It would put Mitch and the Senate on the button.

Well then I hope you’re right. But I seriously doubt it. 

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yup. You need someone to subsidize your happy meal. 

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

4 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

I make my own carbonated waters, and refill the C02 cannisters myself with dry ice. Winning?

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

In an effort to "save" the city, you're encouraging the citizens to close all schools in the entire city?

32 minutes ago, Foosters said:

In an effort to "save" the city, you're encouraging the citizens to close all schools in the entire city?

If they refuse to pay the 6 figures required to live where they teach, fuck yes. The market will correct. Either teachers are valuable or they are not to the population. Let them pay the market rate or forfeit the service. Don’t use the government to subsidize the service. 

Public school budget approximately 890 million, amount spent on homeless —305 million or over a third. Pri fucking orities

A $15 min wage in San Francisco would be completely irrelevant without illegal labor to do the work. No American citizen can take that wage to live in that location and be self sufficient. 

Why not base the minimum wage on cost of living? The minimum in Corsicana shouldn’t be the same as Manhattan. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Homeless population in San Francisco = approx 8,000. 

Total public school students aprox 54,000 

They fund their homeless better than their children. Very progressive they feel the homeless are more important than their children.  The homeless are clearly more valuable than the children who will pay for them in the future  

Google the numbers. This is Surly. Fuck your footnotes 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

My position is that when it comes to food the economics of automation and robots in the long run won’t work.

So basically increasing the minimum wage will not eventually lead to automation unless the ultimate goal is to destroy their own business model and cause consumers to seek out alternatives to get food, unless thats because it’s all they can afford. 

While I think automation will destroy jobs in certain industries and in fact already has, there are certain industries it won’t and it shouldn’t necessarily be a factor in discussions about minimum wage because if automation will destroy a minimum wage job, chances are it already has. 

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read from a supposedly adult human being in my life. Like akin to saying in 1925 that people will never prefer horseless carriages ove the tried and true carriages and buggies drawn by our equine friends. The amount of food that is not produced by automation is dwarfed by the amount that is. Fresh ingredients and restaurants are about the only things in the food industry that aren't extruded or produced in some automated fashion. Fresh ingredients are pretty much protected until we figure out how to grow celery in an extruder, but there is absolutely nothing in history or logic that suggests common restaurants are immune to it. And even some of our fresh ingredients might be automated in the future. See lab grown meat.

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read from a supposedly adult human being in my life. Like akin to saying in 1925 that people will never prefer horseless carriages ove the tried and true carriages and buggies drawn by our equine friends. The amount of food that is not produced by automation is dwarfed by the amount that is. Fresh ingredients and restaurants are about the only things in the food industry that aren't extruded or produced in some automated fashion. Fresh ingredients are pretty much protected until we figure out how to grow celery in an extruder, but there is absolutely nothing in history or logic that suggests common restaurants are immune to it. And even some of our fresh ingredients might be automated in the future. See lab grown meat.

You should go back and read his other posts, you'll create a top 10 in no time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I was referring to retail like restaurants and grocery stores, not production. I thought thatvwould have been obvious from the context but apparently I’m not as smart as you.

Hopefully now you can get over your anger at my post and somehow move on.

22 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I was referring to retail like restaurants and grocery stores, not production. I thought thatvwould have been obvious from the context but apparently I’m not as smart as you.

Hopefully now you can get over your anger at my post and somehow move on.

Funny, you seem to spew anger at every post that doesn't conform to your little slice of perception.  Pretty much all you ever do it throw out internet tough guy digs and neg rep (neg rep, the holy land of passive aggressive children).

I'm not angry at all. I'm just completely baffled at the complete cluelessness you've displayed here. You are right that some restaurants will not be automated. But those places are selling the labor, the experience of the chefs, and the atmosphere as much as they are selling food. Most restaurants are more concerned about consistency. Machines provide that. Human labor sometimes provides that, but not always. So if it can be automated at close to the same quality but with higher consistency and at an equal or lower cost, if course they will go for it. They can still sell the atmosphere, and there is nothing saying they have to disclose how they make their food. Once it becomes common, nobody will know who uses automation and who doesn't unless they explicitly say so.

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not angry at all. I'm just completely baffled at the complete cluelessness you've displayed here. You are right that some restaurants will not be automated. But those places are selling the labor, the experience of the chefs, and the atmosphere as much as they are selling food. Most restaurants are more concerned about consistency. Machines provide that. Human labor sometimes provides that, but not always. So if it can be automated at close to the same quality but with higher consistency and at an equal or lower cost, if course they will go for it. They can still sell the atmosphere, and there is nothing saying they have to disclose how they make their food. Once it becomes common, nobody will know who uses automation and who doesn't unless they explicitly say so.

Soylent green ?

You’re comment about McDonalds is what blew me away. Raising Cane’s has blown up in the past 10 years. They offer cooked: tenders, fries, toast. They prepare: slaw, sauce, and drinks.

Their “cooks” are a food processor to make and package the slaw, a toaster, and someone to load and dump the fryer. Not creative deep thinking Michelin Star stuff. A touch screen or Siri/Alexa could take orders today at Cane’s - “#3 unsweet tea to drink, is that correct?” The person at the window says thank you dispenses drinks and scans cards.

You point to Amazon and Whole Foods, but don’t mention them rolling out Amazon Go stores last year. No checkout line, no $7/hr teller. Sensors and AI make that possible. What’s the stocking at Amazon connivence stores look like? Do they really need a human load the frozen food, dairy cabinet, and drink fringe from the back? They may need him in 2019, and need him to check and restock the produce in 2020, but he’s not long for Jeff Bezos’ world.

I don’t give a shit that my eggs were placed in a carton by a machine instead of a human. I don’t give a shit that my HEB organic chicken breasts were put in a styrofoam tray by a machine in a warehouse in San Antonio and not a butcher 20’ away. ReCAPTCHA can probably already tell a bruised apple from a good one, will you care if it’s a drone yanking it from the tray rather than a slightly stoned guy in a smock?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Automation won’t work for food prep? Do y’all have microwaves, ovens, sous vides, crock pots, etc? How are so many of y’all confident that more automation is unrealistic?

Hell, we got automated bots right here....

Both sides are talking past each other on this thread, which obviously isn't surprising.

"AUTOMATION KEEPS HAPPENING, WHY AREN'T YOU PAYING ATTENTION AND LEARNING FROM HISTORY?"

followed by

"THIS TIME I'M SERIOUS, A MINIMUM WAGE INCREASE WILL WRECK THE ECONOMY!"

and vice versa, of course:

"MINIMUM WAGE INCREASES HAPPEN AND WE'RE ALWAYS TOLD THAT IT WILL WRECK THE ECONOMY BUT IT NEVER DOES, WHY AREN'T YOU PAYING ATTENTION AND LEARNING FROM HISTORY?"

followed by

"THIS TIME I'M SERIOUS, CURRENT LOWER LEVEL SERVICE JOBS WON'T BE REPLACED BY AUTOMATION!"

• Like 1

Let’s look at the math. Flappy costs $100,000 and we will assume zero maintenance. For a burger store that operates for 11 hours, this machine will cost $24.88/hr. In other words, without maintenance issues, it will have to run for about 3 years to break even with human counterparts.

The reality is that the machine had issues keeping up with demand, and I still needed a warm body to help with putting cheese on the burgers. If it could expand its scope of work, or if they redesigned the process it might have a real shot. For now, it is just a novelty.

McDonald’s system uses a clamp style cooker so as to speed up the function and it is set on a timer. So there is no need to flip the burger, and no need for the expensive thermal imaging sensors.

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Let’s look at the math. Flappy costs $100,000 and we will assume zero maintenance. For a burger store that operates for 11 hours, this machine will cost $24.88/hr. In other words, without maintenance issues, it will have to run for about 3 years to break even with human counterparts.

The reality is that the machine had issues keeping up with demand, and I still needed a warm body to help with putting cheese on the burgers. If it could expand its scope of work, or if they redesigned the process it might have a real shot. For now, it is just a novelty.

McDonald’s system uses a clamp style cooker so as to speed up the function and it is set on a timer. So there is no need to flip the burger, and no need for the expensive thermal imaging sensors.

modify your math.

Your assuming the Flippy is replacing 1 human.  Probably more like 5.

Also,

1.) doesn't call in sick every friday

2.) need 2 week paid sick leave

3.) need 2 weeks personal time

4.) sexually harass the other employees

5.) spit in the hamburger

6.) clog the toilet on lunch break

7.) steal money

8.) steal inventory

9.) give the customer a shitty attitude

10.) lose their time card 5x a year

11.) slip on the burger grease on the floor

12.).....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

modify your math.

Also,

7.) steal money

8.) steal inventory

12.).....

For all that he should be called Mr. Flippy.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Funny, you seem to spew anger at every post that doesn't conform to your little slice of perception.  Pretty much all you ever do it throw out internet tough guy digs and neg rep (neg rep, the holy land of passive aggressive children).

Maybe so over in the political board, where you often dwell. Although I don’t know how they are tough guy diggs, more like not so tough guy snarky statements meant to amuse myself. 

But I can assure you I don’t get angry when discussing whether or not McDonald’s is heading toward automation or not because one or both of the political parties may or may not want to raise the minimum wage. Just spouting out an opinion.

Is that ok with you?  

modify your math.

Also,

7.) steal money
8.) steal inventory
12.).....

Did you read anything about it? Flippy isn’t running the register, is not able to make the fries or switch into any other roles. Flippy is doing 1 task, and still requires a human to assist him.

44 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So the basis of the argument is: the current robot is incapable, therefore all future robots will be incapable? I don't believe anyone here is arguing that robots are set to replace every human in the kitchen within the next few days. 

No.  But I always appreciate seeing the combo of strawman and slippery slope rolled into one.  The current iteration is unable to do the job efficiently, it is relatively low cost $100k, but is not more efficient that embracing McDonald's style timed clamps.    It is a far cry from replacing 1 person, let alone 5.  

If the entire system were overhauled, I imagine it could be done better, in an assembly line, with zero people and allow for customization.  But plugging in a robot to replace a person in a system designed for people isn't going to happen at a low enough cost, IMO.

Related:

The Age of Robot Farmers

Picking strawberries takes speed, stamina, and skill. Can a robot do it?

There have been a few articles out lately about how the threat/promise of automation of everything is overhyped, and it's not going to happen anytime soon, or maybe ever for some industries. Strawberry growers have been having lots of problems attracting pickers, and have spent lots of money to develop picking machines, and aren't all that close to success.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

modify your math.

Also,

7.) steal money

8.) steal inventory

12.).....

Yep.  In some ways, the wage cost alone isn't even the most attractive aspect of automation for specific jobs.  No health care costs, no worries about liability, no poor customer service, no scrambling to find shifts, etc.  Speaking personally, in some ways I'd rather even pay more overall wage cost if I could insulate myself better legally from specific concerns for food service that are much riskier for humans than machines (health code violations, lost time, poor customer service, injuries, harassment, sexual harassment)  because that can be a big drain on your time and energy that could be better spent on big picture issues (vision, strategic planning, marketing, short and long term metrics, etc) versus constantly fixing the proverbial sink on details that need to have constant maintenance, etc.

As far as food service, I think fast food is the most in danger of automation because unlike a restaurant, there is little perceived value in the skill of the cook(s) making the food for the customer.  I also think the next generation coming up will largely by and large even less so than people now place any value on whether a burger is made by a robot or human but rather whether the food is cheap, convenient, and good value (and taste) for what they are paying.  However, a restaurant that is branding themselves as having quality food will likely be impacted negatively by trying to use automation/machines as I do believe even younger people that will be the primary economic drivers down the road will still perceive significant value on the "human touch" of cooks/chefs creating high quality food as part of their dining experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1