Hey Oil Barons.......

936horn

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Continental Resources started drilling from the other side of the lake several years ago to tap part of our lease. There are now 22 wells pumping at this site in Montrail Bounty. Unfortunately only 2 wells are permitted from the McKenzie County side, as the new administration probably won’t grant any more because they own a whopping 30 acres in the underwater 1,260 acre spacing. fml

C4DCA51E-582E-4AFB-84EC-2D4F071AD114.jpeg

Have you met Harold Hamm yet? 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:12 AM, HoustonFrog said:

Would I be an idiot to leave O&G now? Got an opportunity that’s pretty good, but feel like I’m selling “low” on the O&G industry after getting through the nightmare of 2020

What did you end up deciding to do? 

^ She's got kind of a Monica from "Silicon Valley" thing going on.  

Question for you midstream cats---where can I direct drivers of straight trucks/semis who are licensed for tanker truck operation who are looking to get in on the shortage?  We've got drivers in the midwest who want to come down here for the summer and clean up.  Or is this driver shortage being exaggerated?  

Edited by Lobo

WTI hits $66.15 in after hours settlement, highest price since late October of 2018.

Decent rally the last 2 days capped off by API reporting very large drawdowns in both crude and products this week. We'll see if EIA confirms with official numbers tomorrow.

Crude: -7.688M Cushing: +0.548M Gasoline: -5.308M Distillates: -3.453M

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/8/2021 at 2:50 PM, KYHorn said:

Think this Colonial Pipeline cyberattack will do much to oil prices?

Crude oil prices not so much.  Gasoline spot prices are already up.  Expect to get squeezed at the pump this week even if you don't live in an affected region.  I think Bloomberg said gasoline futures were up 4.2% today.   The pipeline handles diesel and Jet Fuel as well.  I haven't read much on either of those.   

Edited by Tex48
Grammar
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

After a wild week that saw wild swings in the financial markets and a major east coast gasoline shortage, WTI moved....absolutely nowhere.

Price at market open Sunday night: $65.34.

Price at market close today: $65.37.

Tex48 called it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Air travel keeps on picking up steam, but still at just 65% of 2019 levels. Obviously there will be a lot of people flying for pleasure this summer, but just not sure how much more upside there is for jet fuel demand until business travel resumes. 

E1l7WuVXsAgS6_K?format=png&name=900x900

Edited by Storm the Field

29 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Air travel keeps on picking up steam, but still at just 65% of 2019 levels. Obviously there will be a lot of people flying for pleasure this summer, but just not sure how much more upside there is for jet fuel demand until business travel resumes. 

E1l7WuVXsAgS6_K?format=png&name=900x900

Ignoring the pipeline stuff from last week, it seems like a lot of people are still driving places they'd typically fly by choice.  Also with a lot of states not being fully opened and lack of international travel at the moment is limiting the draw down on Jet-A.  Once the Pacific states open up fully and the northeast does to, cross country travel will help push that number.  Right now the main place people are going on vacation is Florida because it is 100 % open.  

4 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Ignoring the pipeline stuff from last week, it seems like a lot of people are still driving places they'd typically fly by choice.  Also with a lot of states not being fully opened and lack of international travel at the moment is limiting the draw down on Jet-A.  Once the Pacific states open up fully and the northeast does to, cross country travel will help push that number.  Right now the main place people are going on vacation is Florida because it is 100 % open.  

I'm driving to Midland next month instead of driving. It's a long ass drive, but not that bad if you stop and eat. It beats the current hassle of going through Hobby, and getting a rental car at the Midland Airport. 

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Cabot and Cimarex merging. New company that will be HQ'd here in Houston.

Kind of a head scratcher. Cabot is basically a Marcellus Shale company with operations in Pennsylvania. Cimarex has some respectable Permian acreage. I see the companies claimed synergies in the press release. Uh no. I'm not sure why they would state that other than it sounds good to layman investors. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m sure there’s a lot more synergy that can be developed than people think. Just because you operate in 2 areas doesn’t mean there isn’t a shit ton of overhead you can cut. 

Fair enough. 

It'll be interesting to see where the Cimarex/Cabot HQ will be in Houston. Cabot's corporate office near Memorial City Mall is pretty small. I've only dealt with Cimarex people out of Midland. 

40 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I guess the lack of efficiency creation is getting punished, and more and more companies are getting rewarded for being pure players. 

Yeah, I think this is basically it. Industry expectation has been for consolidation to occur to where each play ends up with just a handful of companies solely focused on that area. Creating a new multiple-play Frankenstein out of an Appalachian gas driller and a Permian/OK oil company is a bit of a head scratcher. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fair enough. 

It'll be interesting to see where the Cimarex/Cabot HQ will be in Houston. Cabot's corporate office near Memorial City Mall is pretty small. I've only dealt with Cimarex people out of Midland. 

If I had to guess it will remain where it is and will include zero employees from Cimarex. 

On 5/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Obviously someone has never been to Wall St Bar & Grill for some fine West Texas fare, washed it down at The Bar afterwards, and smoked cigarettes at the fine Doubletree property for $400/night. Sucker. 

I contend we are going much higher on crude. 

Add in a party in the ballroom at the Petroleum Club and you just described my wedding weekend.

Midland isn't a bad place to live, and those southwest flights go the other way too ... meaning I have easy non-stop flights to hobby and love field

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Cabot and Cimarex merging. New company that will be HQ'd here in Houston.

That is interesting.  I'll be curious to see what comes of the folks I know who have been re-located from Midland to the Cimarex HQ in Denver.  I guess they start shopping for real estate in Houston now? 

39 minutes ago, BTW said:

That is interesting.  I'll be curious to see what comes of the folks I know who have been re-located from Midland to the Cimarex HQ in Denver.  I guess they start shopping for real estate in Houston now? 

A vast majority of the Denver people will take a package, and remain in Denver. Back when the PRB was getting people excited, companies couldn't get experienced PRB operations folks to move from Denver to Houston. It's understandable. I would rather live in Denver too. 

I will say the Denver O&G market has to be really competitive. Lots of layoffs, people taking packages, and everybody wants to stay in Denver. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Midland isn't a bad place to live.

Come On Reaction GIF

Counterpoint - Yes it is. It is fucking awful.

Signed by someone who grew up there and has to go back to that place for holidays occasionally.

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BTW said:

Counter-counter point ...

I’ve lived in Dallas, Austin, Los Angeles and Midland (for the last 14 years).

I’ll repeat, it’s not a bad place to live ... maybe you were doing it wrong?

I guess if you are into 110 degree weather, dust storms, eating at Wall Street every Sunday, Looking for any parking at HEB, waiting in a long ass line to get coffee at the one shitty Starbucks, drinking shitty beer, living and dying by your AC and dealing with every Dr. Patel in the world, it's a good spot. The only good thing about Midland growing up was the cost of living was low. If the high point of you year is the party at the Petroleum club, maybe your bar is set a bit low.

Even if I was in the O&G business like my brother, I'd certainly not live in Midland. I'd probably end up with him in Ft. Worth.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess if you are into 110 degree weather, dust storms, eating at Wall Street every Sunday, Looking for any parking at HEB, waiting in a long ass line to get coffee at the one shitty Starbucks, drinking shitty beer, living and dying by your AC and dealing with every Dr. Patel in the world, it's a good spot. The only good thing about Midland growing up was the cost of living was low. If the high point of you year is the party at the Petroleum club, maybe your bar is set a bit low.
Even if I was in the O&G business like my brother, I'd certainly not live in Midland. I'd probably end up with him in Ft. Worth.

Yep, you’ve been doing it wrong ...

You mentioned Starbucks (we have 5 now) but I walk to this great coffee shop called Far West across from memorial stadium in the mornings. The owner is this nice dude named Olaf and he starts making my order when he sees me crossing the parking lot.

I don’t hunt for parking at HEB because it’s 2021 and we usually get our groceries delivered.

Yeah it gets hot, but I’ll take 110 with no humidity over DFW or Austin at 90 with 90% humidity any day.

When I need my doctor, I text him. He’s a friend and we play golf together all the time. When I need my dentist, I text her, because she’s a friend and I see her at Yoga every week.

My high point of the year 2006 was a party at the petroleum club (my wedding reception). I have no idea what the high point of last year or this year was because there’s so damn many of them here.

We have the country club for golf, we have the racquet club for tennis, we have the polo club for riding horses, we have a gun club for shooting, we have Midland Airpark for flying planes. We have a dove lease 30 minutes from my front door and a quail lease 45 mins away.

Are there negative things about living here? Absolutely, many, many of them. But that’s true of every place I’ve ever lived. The pros way outweigh the cons.

Midland is a land of opportunity. We moved here with nothing but some student loans and credit card debt. Since then, we’ve started a business, had kids and bought a house. I’ve learned to fly a plane, picked up golf and tennis And made tons of incredible friends.

No, I’m not a member of the chamber of commerce, but people seem to have a really poor impression of Midland but I think it’s a pretty good place to live.
  • Hook 'Em 3

One of my mentors was crushed when his company moved from Fort Worth to Houston. He put in his time until retirement and immediately moved back. 

Houston has its charms, but as far as O & G cities go, give me Fort Worth and Denver. 

From what I gathered, Midland was a better town in the 90s. Nice little town where everybody knew everybody. More families and less transient workers. It sounds like Mobil moving to Houston pretty much gutted the upper middle class jobs. 

10 minutes ago, BTW said:

Yep, you’ve been doing it wrong ...

You mentioned Starbucks (we have 5 now) but I walk to this great coffee shop called Far West across from memorial stadium in the mornings. The owner is this nice dude named Olaf and he starts making my order when he sees me crossing the parking lot.

I don’t hunt for parking at HEB because it’s 2021 and we usually get our groceries delivered.

Yeah it gets hot, but I’ll take 110 with no humidity over DFW or Austin at 90 with 90% humidity any day.

When I need my doctor, I text him. He’s a friend and we play golf together all the time. When I need my dentist, I text her, because she’s a friend and I see her at Yoga every week.

My high point of the year 2006 was a party at the petroleum club (my wedding reception). I have no idea what the high point of last year or this year was because there’s so damn many of them here.

We have the country club for golf, we have the racquet club for tennis, we have the polo club for riding horses, we have a gun club for shooting, we have Midland Airpark for flying planes. We have a dove lease 30 minutes from my front door and a quail lease 45 mins away.

Are there negative things about living here? Absolutely, many, many of them. But that’s true of every place I’ve ever lived. The pros way outweigh the cons.

Midland is a land of opportunity. We moved here with nothing but some student loans and credit card debt. Since then, we’ve started a business, had kids and bought a house. I’ve learned to fly a plane, picked up golf and tennis And made tons of incredible friends.

No, I’m not a member of the chamber of commerce, but people seem to have a really poor impression of Midland but I think it’s a pretty good place to live.

That’s all great but unless you were doing LA totally wrong or had a household income under 100k I have zero idea how you’d pick Midland over LA (or Dallas, Austin, Houston).  As others on here, I was born in West Texas and had family in Midland, Lubbock, and Amarillo growing up.  Lubbock blows away Midland...let that sink in.  

Sweet so they turned stadium sports into a coffee shop.

I hate that so many towns don't have golf courses, tennis courts, horses or shooting ranges.

The only reason Midland exists is O&G. It was at it's origin a post office halfway between Fort Worth and El Paso. It developed into a railroad stop when my Grandfather was there as a kid. It used to have some charm of a small West Texas town. It used to have home town flavor and a feeling of community. I remember walking to Memorial Stadium to Highschool football games with my friends through neighborhoods sneaking a beer in on Friday before the Friday Night Lights with purple and gold against maroon and white. I remember going out on a Thursday afternoon with my dad and brothers to play 9 holes of golf on Ranchland as the sun set without anyone else around.

It's digressed into a Midland Odessa clusterfuck full of transient workers without anyone to stock shelves at Target, take a simple order at Texas Burger or even someone to do work on your house as there isn't the workforce there once was. You travel down Andrews Highway and consistently get run off the road by 4 Raptors. You are certainly correct that their is plenty of "opportunity/money" in the town. There was 70k people in that town growing up. I'd fathom there are 350k in the Permian basin now.

I'm glad you have decided Midland is good for you. I'd argue you are in the minority.

Edited by MoJames

4 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

If I had to guess it will remain where it is and will include zero employees from Cimarex. 

I bet most of the technical teams get offers since Cabot has no Midcon or Delaware staff. Will any of them come is a different story. 

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Houston has its charms, but as far as O & G cities go, give me Fort Worth and Denver.

Denver is trying hard to become California. There are plenty of people looking to run the refinery, that is now surrounded by metro Denver, out of town.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Denver is trying hard to become California. There are plenty of people looking to run the refinery, that is now surrounded by metro Denver, out of town.

Yea I live in Denver and the people here turn their nose up at oil and gas. It’s very liberal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s all great but unless you were doing LA totally wrong or had a household income under 100k I have zero idea how you’d pick Midland over LA (or Dallas, Austin, Houston).  As others on here, I was born in West Texas and had family in Midland, Lubbock, and Amarillo growing up.  Lubbock blows away Midland...let that sink in.  

13 hours ago, MoJames said:

Sweet so they turned stadium sports into a coffee shop.

I hate that so many towns don't have golf courses, tennis courts, horses or shooting ranges.

The only reason Midland exists is O&G. It was at it's origin a post office halfway between Fort Worth and El Paso. It developed into a railroad stop when my Grandfather was there as a kid. It used to have some charm of a small West Texas town. It used to have home town flavor and a feeling of community. I remember walking to Memorial Stadium to Highschool football games with my friends through neighborhoods sneaking a beer in on Friday before the Friday Night Lights with purple and gold against maroon and white. I remember going out on a Thursday afternoon with my dad and brothers to play 9 holes of golf on Ranchland as the sun set without anyone else around.

It's digressed into a Midland Odessa clusterfuck full of transient workers without anyone to stock shelves at Target, take a simple order at Texas Burger or even someone to do work on your house as there isn't the workforce there once was. You travel down Andrews Highway and consistently get run off the road by 4 Raptors. You are certainly correct that their is plenty of "opportunity/money" in the town. There was 70k people in that town growing up. I'd fathom there are 350k in the Permian basin now.

I'm glad you have decided Midland is good for you. I'd argue you are in the minority.

Last post on living in Midland and I'll leave it alone ...

First, I never said Midland was the best place to live or even the best place that I've lived, I said, it's not a bad place to live and I stand by that.  I'm detecting a theme here ... people who grew up in west texas / Midland, have not lived here as adults and think it's a shitty place to live (which I'm sure is part of the reason they haven't moved back).  My wife grew up here, she'll be the first to say, it's not the town she grew up in, hell it's changed quite a bit since I moved here 14 years ago.

But, I'm sitting in my office downtown on Walls street as I type this, looking down at the cool new park they built where the courthouse used to be.  I like it here, my friends really like it here.  I know many examples of people who have begrudgingly been moved to Midland for work, came to really like living here, and have chosen to stay, even when presented with the opportunity to move back to where they came from.  We decided a while back, we can bitch about what we don't like, and spend our days wishing it were different, or we could get involved and try to change it for the better and that is what we are doing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

One of my mentors was crushed when his company moved from Fort Worth to Houston. He put in his time until retirement and immediately moved back. 

From what I gathered, Midland was a better town in the 90s. Nice little town where everybody knew everybody. More families and less transient workers. It sounds like Mobil moving to Houston pretty much gutted the upper middle class jobs. 

The bolded part is still true, at least for me and it's a big part of why I like it here.  I know people almost everywhere I go, and I've never had that experience other places I've lived.

1 hour ago, BTW said:

The bolded part is still true, at least for me and it's a big part of why I like it here.  I know people almost everywhere I go, and I've never had that experience other places I've lived.

I'm from Corpus (live in Houston now). Corpus is pretty much Midland on the water. There are days I really miss that aspect of Corpus. The simplicity. Knowing almost every table at restaurants because there are only a couple decent ones. Ya, it's a shithole, but it's my shit shithole. That and you can catch a limit of trout in the morning and shoot a limit of dove in the evening, all within 20 min of downtown. 

Also, Midland is a total shithole. But I have a hell of a good time every time I go out there. 

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Last post on living in Midland and I'll leave it alone ...

First, I never said Midland was the best place to live or even the best place that I've lived, I said, it's not a bad place to live and I stand by that.  I'm detecting a theme here ... people who grew up in west texas / Midland, have not lived here as adults and think it's a shitty place to live (which I'm sure is part of the reason they haven't moved back).  My wife grew up here, she'll be the first to say, it's not the town she grew up in, hell it's changed quite a bit since I moved here 14 years ago.

But, I'm sitting in my office downtown on Walls street as I type this, looking down at the cool new park they built where the courthouse used to be.  I like it here, my friends really like it here.  I know many examples of people who have begrudgingly been moved to Midland for work, came to really like living here, and have chosen to stay, even when presented with the opportunity to move back to where they came from.  We decided a while back, we can bitch about what we don't like, and spend our days wishing it were different, or we could get involved and try to change it for the better and that is what we are doing.

To each his own, my man.  Sorry I stirred things up.  Happiness is between the ears...

• Hook 'Em 1