RIP Bandit

BigDHornfan

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And he’s been dead a year on Saturday.  There is no bigger Don Williams fan than me.  Tried to convince my wife to let me buy his old tour bus, the Gypsy Lady, and park it at the ranch for a makeshift cabin.  No dice.  

If I was a single man, that shit would have been done. 

8faa9c22dfa3178f9fe89ec8eb48ea98.jpg

Makeshift cabin?  That'd be my lifetime mellow whiskey sippin melancholy singin shrine.

• Like 1

And he’s been dead a year on Saturday.  There is no bigger Don Williams fan than me.  Tried to convince my wife to let me buy his old tour bus, the Gypsy Lady, and park it at the ranch for a makeshift cabin.  No dice.  
If I was a single man, that shit would have been done. 
8faa9c22dfa3178f9fe89ec8eb48ea98.jpg

Away game? Saddle up surligans...

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Lori Nelson (1959-1960), Judy Carne (1963-1965), Inger Stevens (1970), Chris Noel (1970-1971), Mamie Van Doren (1971), Lorna Luft (1974-1975), Catherine Deneuve (1975), Kim Basinger (1976), Chris Evert (1977), Tammy Wynette (1977), Sally Field (1977-1981), Gig Rauch (1979), Tawny Little (1981), Loni Anderson (1983-1993), Pam Seals (2000). Dates unknown: Adrienne Barbeau, Doris Day, Faye Dunaway, Miko Mayama, Sarah Miles, Dinah Shore

denzel_intro.jpg

Edited by Chuychanga
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Deej said:

Check out the documentary, "The Bandit." Covers Burt and Hal Needham's history together and the making of "Smokey and the Bandit." Good stuff.

Hal Needham was a stuntman before he was a director and he drove the rocket-assisted Trans Am  himself in the bridge jump scene. 

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Lori Nelson (1959-1960), Judy Carne (1963-1965), Inger Stevens (1970), Chris Noel (1970-1971), Mamie Van Doren (1971), Lorna Luft (1974-1975), Catherine Deneuve (1975), Kim Basinger (1976), Chris Evert (1977), Tammy Wynette (1977), Sally Field (1977-1981), Gig Rauch (1979), Tawny Little (1981), Loni Anderson (1983-1993), Pam Seals (2000). Dates unknown: Adrienne Barbeau, Doris Day, Faye Dunaway, Miko Mayama, Sarah Miles, Dinah Shore

Um, how old was Kim basinger in 1976?

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Burt, you hit life right in the nuts.  People don't remember you were flat on your back for almost a year in a dark room with temporomandibular joint dysfunction and was virtually a recluse for over a year.  He was a great guy who came to regret his whoring ways (don't we all, but uh, I guess I wouldn't even be the T-ball equivalent of that pro).  Anyway, amazing person, great actor, self-effacing and humble in later years.  God bless him and his.

CleverAptDrever-max-1mb.gif

Worked once, oughta work again. Right?

24 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

In addition to all the better know movies - let me suggest City Heat with Clint and Madeline Kahn. Unfortunately that was where his jaw got injured (think it was a punch that was supposed to miss) and put him out for a year or so

A scene called for him to get hit with a balsa chair.  But a stunt assistant grabbed the wrong chair, a real metal one, and hit him in the face, breaking his jaw, which led to his condition wher it didn't set back right and caused excruciating pain.  He had to stay in a dark room almost 24/7 due to light sensitivity from the injury.

Man I hope he sued the bejeebers out of that guy/his agency.  He said the guy was "an ex-wrestler type, with an IQ of about 8."  Sounds like it.

So, I was checking out his career on IMDB.  Guy had a 60 year career of steady work as an actor.  Amazing.  Best part is reading some of his personal quotes, like this one talking about the rape scene in Deliverance:

[on the rape scene in Deliverance (1972)] The day before we shot the scene I noticed [Bill McKinney] hovering beside Ned [Ned Beatty] and sat down between them. I wanted him to see I was Ned's friend. No different than in the script. Then I asked him how he planned to handle the rape scene. McKinney turned out to be a pretty good guy who just took "The Method" way too far. Staring straight at Ned, he whispered, "I've always wanted to try that. Always have." Ned shouted, "John! Oh, John!". In his brilliance, [John Boorman] reassured Ned but also brought in several additional cameras, knowing Ned wasn't going to give him a second, third or fourth take. Ned was only going to do the brutal scene once. When it came down to shooting it, [Herbert 'Cowboy' Coward] and McKinney were hands-down brilliant. Scared the shit out of everybody who saw the movie. People crawled out of the theater. None of that creepy "squeal, piggy, piggy" stuff was in the script. But McKinney, I swear to God, really wanted to hump Ned. And I think he was going to. He had it up and he was going to bang him. It's the first and only time I have ever seen camera operators turn their heads away. Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore. I ran into the scene, dove on McKinney, and pulled him off. Boorman, hot on my tracks, helped hold him down. Ned, who was crying from both rage and fear, found a big stick and started beating him on the head. Half a dozen guys grabbed Ned and pulled him away. We separated the two of them and let things cool off.

On 9/6/2018 at 2:34 PM, Uncle Nate said:

I don't normally buy Coors, but this one time, in honor of the Bandit, I will buy some on the way home tonight and toast him.

coors-banquet-6c.jpg

Fun fact this used to be Earl Campbell's favorite beer (probably still is).  I used to be friendly with someone that worked for him and he kept a fridge almost full of this beer in his downtown Austin office.

19 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Fun fact this used to be Earl Campbell's favorite beer (probably still is).  I used to be friendly with someone that worked for him and he kept a fridge almost full of this beer in his downtown Austin office.

My FIL used to cater the annual fish fry for the Texas Relays.  On average, typically served about 1200 people, including all of the UT athletic department bigwigs and muckety mucks, and various track and football coaches in attendance.  I helped him cater it for quite a few years (meaning I drank beer and hung out with the UT folks while his crew worked the fryers), and Earl Campbell always showed up.  We kept a separate ice chest full of Coors Banquet beer for him and his cronies, and it was always a lot of fun to "catch" him sneaking over to the cooler to snag them, and talk to him for a while.  He was of course my absolute favorite Longhorn hero growing up.

RIP Bandit