KGSR + ACL = Austin City Limits Radio

BottleRocket

KGSR just changed formats and got a new name.

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2018/09/06/austin-city-limits-radio-deal-with-kgsr-brings-iconic-brand-to-the-airwaves/

“From television show to outdoor festival to music venue, and now to the radio dial: The iconic Austin City Limits brand is extending its reach once again, with Thursday’s announcement that longtime local station KGSR-FM is becoming Austin City Limits Radio.”

“Asked for examples of what might carry over from the current KGSR format and the new ACL Radio vision, she suggested that “center-lane, big-brand heralds of AAA” such as Coldplay, Adele, Ed Sheeran and Mumford & Sons would remain. “But we’ll go to the left of that,” she said, with Texas legends such as Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and Stevie Ray Vaughan, all of whom were KGSR staples in the 1990s. (Nelson’s traditional live-show opener “Whiskey River” will be the first song played on Thursday’s inaugural Austin City Limits Radio broadcast.)

“And we’ll widen on the other side for artists like Kendrick Lamar, Drake and others who have played the festival,” Parker added, making it clear that hip-hop — an increasingly prominent genre at ACL Fest in recent years — would be part of the mix.”

I have fallen away from terrestrial radio over the last several years with SiriusXM and podcasts, but KGSR was always favorite Austin station since the mid-'90s.  If they are doing streaming with the ACL brand, they could potentially increase their market nationwide if not worldwide.  Glad to hear that they are keeping the KGSR local events like Blues on the Green. 

They shot themselves in the foot when the built an iconic brand and then for no good reason veered straight into ClearChannel territory.  It doesn't sound like this is much of a move back towards quality.  I'll stick with KUTX and Sun Radio, along with a little bit of The Bat and KLBJ for classic rock when it comes to FM radio.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

"Asked for examples of what might carry over from the current KGSR format and the new ACL Radio vision, she suggested that “center-lane, big-brand heralds of AAA” such as Coldplay, Adele, Ed Sheeran and Mumford & Sons would remain. “But we’ll go to the left of that,” she said, with Texas legends such as Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and Stevie Ray Vaughan, all of whom were KGSR staples in the 1990s. (Nelson’s traditional live-show opener “Whiskey River” will be the first song played on Thursday’s inaugural Austin City Limits

We still get Coldplay and Mumford & Sons.  Thank God.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

They shot themselves in the foot when the built an iconic brand and then for no good reason veered straight into ClearChannel territory.  It doesn't sound like this is much of a move back towards quality.  I'll stick with KUTX and Sun Radio, along with a little bit of The Bat and KLBJ for classic rock when it comes to FM radio.

Radio Borg. Resistance is futile.

I'm sticking with my flash drive in the USB slot.

Edited by DougO

15 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

I do miss the epic KGSR compilation CDs though

Same here.  Back in the old days (lulz) when people would actually go to stores to buy CDs, my wife and I would go to Waterloo and pick up the KGSR CD on the release date and listen to it in the car for the following couple weeks.

KGSR wasn't always my cup of tea . . . certain genres like Western Swing just don't resonate with me, I'm a "not a Texan just got here as fast as I could" . . . but in general it was such a breath of fresh air.  The on-air personalities seemed to hearken back to AOR radio of the 1970s when DJs ruled the airwaves.  They promoted a lot of local music.  In general, there was a sheen of taste that overlaid everything.

And then they fucked it up, because why not?

KUTX was the best station in America back in the day.  the second best might have been KUT after 7.  larry monroe, twine time,  texas music, blue Monday, left of the dial, phil music.  when kgsr's format changed and all their dj's left for the newly formed kutx I had high hopes.  kutx sucks.  borderlines sucks anyway.  it's still mandated, overplayed, heavy rotation bs.  so when this announcement came up I was hoping that I could go back to kgsr, but I swear I don't hear any difference in this vs what they used to be.  still too poppy. still no place for dj's to play the songs they like and turn you on to new music.