Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

Officers were called about 10 p.m. to the 1200 block of South Lamar Street, near the Southside Flats apartments.

A Dallas officer fatally shot a 26-year-old man Thursday night after she entered his apartment near downtown, mistakenly believing it was her own, police say.

The officer was not injured in the shooting, which occurred about 10 p.m. at the South Side Flats at 1210 S. Lamar St., blocks from the police headquarters in the Cedars.

The officer had arrived at the complex after working a full shift, police said. She was still in full uniform when she entered the man's apartment, thinking it  was her own.

Officials did not explain how the situation escalated to the shooting, declining to comment on whether the officer mistook the man for an intruder.

"I won't go into that information right now," Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said. "I mean, we have not interviewed her, and like I said this is just a preliminary statement. We still have a lot to do in this investigation. ... This is all we can give you at this time."

Police did not indicate that anyone else had witnessed the shooting.

"We have not spoken to anyone else at this time," Mitchell said.

He said that after the officer reported the man was wounded, police who responded administered first aid to him. He was taken to Baylor University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. The man's name was not released.

The officer, who also has not been publicly identified, was placed on leave while the shooting is investigated with the Dallas district attorney's office.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/09/06/shooting-reported-cedars-near-dallas-police-headquarters

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

How'd she get in without a key? So the guy either keeps his door unlocked in a Dallas apartment building or she broke in with intent. 

I'd also be interested to know where her apartment is relative to his. Next door? One floor up? In the same spot one building over? How do you come home from work and accidentally enter the wrong apartment? And not immediately recognize that that's not your furniture.

30 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"The officer was not injured in the shooting"

Good thing they cleared that up. 

They always say this and I hate it. There could be 20 dead kids on the ground and they always have to point out that no officers were injured while they huddled outside waiting for the shooting to stop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'd also be interested to know where her apartment is relative to his. Next door? One floor up? In the same spot one building over? How do you come home from work and accidentally enter the wrong apartment? And not immediately recognize that that's not your furniture.

Or she had the key to his apartment and caught him cheating earlier that day. 

Something doesnt add up. I've been tired, drunk, and high.  I've lived in generic apartment buildings where every door looks the same. I've never even almost gone to the wrong door and mistaken it for my own. Also, nearly every apartment I have lived in auto shuts and locks the door, which is sometimes annoying when you get stuck in the hallway. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

My first thought was I wonder how long they were dating. 

And of course the police dept. hasn't interviewed her yet. You don't want to do that immediately after the incident. She might slip up and tell the truth. 

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This happened to me once.  I live in a gated building so I didn’t always keep my door locked when home.  One day my upstairs neighbor walked in. He got off the elevator on the wrong floor.  Thankfully he wasn’t an officer or I might be dead.  

Edited by SDG

1 minute ago, SDG said:

This happened to me once.  I live in a gated building so I didn’t always keep my door locked when home.  One day my upstairs neighbor walked in. He got off the elevator on the wrong floor.  Thankfully he wasn’t an officer or I might be dead.  

How long did it take for him to realize his mistake, apologize, and leave?

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Something doesnt add up. I've been tired, drunk, and high.  I've lived in generic apartment buildings where every door looks the same. I've never even almost gone to the wrong door and mistaken it for my own. Also, nearly every apartment I have lived in auto shuts and locks the door, which is sometimes annoying when you get stuck in the hallway. 

Have to admit I have entered the wrong apartment before.  But I was all kinds of messed up and it wasn't my place, was looking for a friend.  Ran out instantly when I figured it out.

The officer had arrived at the complex after working a full shift,

And there's her get out of jail free card.  Us citizens have NO IDEA how exhausting it is to be a cop.  NONE.  They are under a constant blood soaked hell of a war and every day is like being in combat.  On top of that, the mental anguish that comes with knowing the wrong move might land them in jail thanks to the War on Cops, and it's a wonder that most of them manage to find their own homes at night.

Edited by PilotsError
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

I've gotten turned around in generic apt complex but never fully committed to the wrong door.  I would need to know some facts before even entertaining her story.  I have hopped in a wrong car that was similar to mine and happened to be unlocked in a parking lot.  I managed to get out without shooting anyone though.

2 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

And there's her get out of jail free card.  Us citizens have NO IDEA how exhausting it is to be a cop.  NONE.  They are under a constant blood soaked hell of a war and every day is like being in combat.  On top of that, the mental anguish that comes with knowing the wrong move might land them in jail thanks to the War on Cops, and it's a wonder that most of them manage to find their own homes at night.

The article also makes a point of saying she was still in full uniform. She will skate completely free. Dallas taxpayers will be picking up the bill in the civil trial.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I've gotten turned around in generic apt complex but never fully committed to the wrong door.  I would need to know some facts before even entertaining her story.  I have hopped in a wrong car that was similar to mine and happened to be unlocked in a parking lot.  I managed to get out without shooting anyone though.

I think that address is the Southside Lofts or whatever, which is a former Sears warehouse.  As I recall, it has loooong corridors and every door probably looks about the same.  I could actually envision it being pretty easy to go to the wrong door.

The rest of it, though  . . . .

9 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

look at this bullshit

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

What. The. Fuck. There has to be more to this. Will they actually investigate? So many questions. Bottom line, someone wanted this guy dead and this cop was the person assigned to the job. There’s not a chance in hell this is an accident.

Seems like lady ossifer may have been raiding samples from the evidence room.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Well if guy wasn't hanging out in the apartment the officer thought was hers, he wouldn't have been shot. 

I'm surprised we didn't hear her say she thought he had a gun. 

She hasn't said anything yet, but if the cops want him to have a gun, he will have one. Her friends who are setting up the crime scene have to tell her her story first. They will make sure it has a minimal impact on the department and her career. 

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ahem...according to the official statement in the OP, the officer had "BEEN WORKING A FULL SHIFT"!!!  A full.  fucking.  shift.

Side note:  If that excuse was valid...what are we supposed to think about her capacity/judgment one hour before that full shift ended?  I guess "it" (whatever makes you accidentally commit a home invasion) just kinda pops out all at once at the very end of said "full shift".

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fully furnished apartments for rent?

27 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Ahem...according to the official statement in the OP, the officer had "BEEN WORKING A FULL SHIFT"!!!  A full.  fucking.  shift.

Side note:  If that excuse was valid...what are we supposed to think about her capacity/judgment one hour before that full shift ended?  I guess "it" (whatever makes you accidentally commit a home invasion) just kinda pops out all at once at the very end of said "full shift".

That wasnt official. It will go like this.

After a full shift, the officer walked by and heard what sounded like a violent altercation. She entered the deceased's apartment with probable cause in full uniform and identified herself.  The overheard altercation was actually just the TV.  The officer apologized and turned to leave. The deceased then charged the officer and she was forced to shoot him.  The deceased has a long history of run ins with the law. He was charged with Public Intoxication when he was 21 and has had 19 paid parking tickets during his adult criminal career.  The most recent last week when this scofflaw parked for 1 hour and 5 minutes at a 1 hour parking meter. 

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Female cop in Lawrence shot someone the other day.  Claims she thought she pulled out her taser instead of her gun.  Didn't kill the guy though.

That used to happen more.  Most officers are required to carry taser on opposite side from their gun.  Some used to have them both on the same side.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Female cop in Lawrence shot someone the other day.  Claims she thought she pulled out her taser instead of her gun.  Didn't kill the guy though.

That's way more common than it should be.  The Oakland transit cop and Oklahoma "volunteer deputy" or whatever made the same error.  Every cop I know (which is quite a few) can't fathom how someone could fuck that up.  They carry the taser on opposite side from their sidearm.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think that address is the Southside Lofts or whatever, which is a former Sears warehouse.  As I recall, it has loooong corridors and every door probably looks about the same.  I could actually envision it being pretty easy to go to the wrong door.

Nope, South Side Flats, built in the last few years:

https://www.southsideflatsapts.com

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"The officer was not injured in the shooting"

Good thing they cleared that up. 

15 minutes ago, staboner said:

just jumped off the page to me too. wow. 

Exactly. Just a ridiculous thing to include in the statement. Guess what? Other than the officer's family, nobody who hears this story gives a shit about the officer's condition. She killed a man in his home. Any citizen who did this would have been arrested and taken to jail.