Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What do you mean?  The state is keeping it secret because it would make the cop look bad, but they are getting ready to present it in trial to send her away for the rest of her life?

I think that if that's the case, they'll try to bury it.  

20 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Attorney buddy of mine in Dallas said evidence will be presented they had an “ongoing” relationship of some sort and this was done out of anger.

He has no doubt she’ll go to prison for life.

Information like that -- especially in a high profile case -- is something that I, as an attorney, tend to keep within my "circle of trust." I can't always guarantee that it won't escape, but I think most attorneys know about which information they need to STFU.

I'm not buying the secret prior relationship either.  I mean even if in theory they could get away with burying it because they are confident the family has no other way to determine independently, wouldn't that be a better narrative for DPD?  This wasn't a poorly trained, overworked and/or potentially racist officer, it's just a person that happened to be an officer murdering over a personal dispute.  

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I buy there was a "relationship", but not one of a lover or friend.

I also would be suprised if lawyers let it slip, unless they are afraid of it being covered up.

What I have not bought, at any point, is the "confused" wrong apartment bit.

She parked on the 4th floor of the garage.

There are signs all over most garages. 

Then misses that every apartment is 4xxxx rather than 3xxx.

There was claimed loud knocking, and yelling.

There are possibly noise complaints prior logged by the shooter.

Then the door is "ajar".

And she is confused and tired.

Nope. Occams Razor.

She got tired of his shit. Went to tell him what for and it escalated to a dead man.

Don't forget the red floor mat at his place that wasn't hers. That alone should tip you off you're at the wrong door. I can see the "prior relationship" being a noise complaint, or maybe she could smell some pot smoke through the floor and complained to him. I can see a scenario where she knocked on his door some time earlier, he was less than "respectful" to her authoritah, and she held a grudge. That night she comes home exhausted and he's still making noise/smoking pot. In a fit of rage she goes up and caps his ass. Her brain then comes back to earth and she thinks of the perfect excuse. I can also see there being no witnesses to the earlier encounter since it could have been just a few minutes with nobody else around. 

Edited by 'stache

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sort of a general question lurking in the back of my mind.  Anyone know what it's like down there from a homeless and crime standpoint.  Some years, ago, maybe 10, you would have to be something of an urban pioneer to live down there, but that was before this place was even built, I think.

Used to be shits-ville down there but the whole Southside development makes that several-block area pretty safe. If you get off the one or two roads, though, it's pretty sketchy pretty fast. You've also got to remember DPD HQ is practically across the street, I think.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 10:36 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I have yet to say she shouln't serve some time.  I have objected to the notion that she be "punished, hard" whatever that means.

I have yet to see anyone say that.  I have seen posters claim that she's going to get off scot free any time anyone expresses any view that is not "she should be punished, hard."

Should I plug in the popcorn maker?

the idea that she went to confront him and things escalated doesn’t hold water for me if it’s true that she was coming off shift and parked on the 4th floor. That’s not how or when you argue with a neighbor. 

Sounds more like manufacturing an opportunity to kill someone, which would put the crime at capital murder or whatever is premeditated. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Used to be shits-ville down there but the whole Southside development makes that several-block area pretty safe. If you get off the one or two roads, though, it's pretty sketchy pretty fast. You've also got to remember DPD HQ is practically across the street, I think.

Yeah HQ is close by, but it was when the area was shitsville too. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah HQ is close by, but it was when the area was shitsville too. 

Lamar Street can be walked at just about any hour of the day or night without too much trouble. A street or two over in either direction, though, is another story.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Lamar Street can be walked at just about any hour of the day or night without too much trouble. A street or two over in either direction, though, is another story.

Still and all, I imagine people that live down there see a fair amount of shit and may be kind of on-guard.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Don't forget the red floor mat at his place that wasn't hers. That alone should tip you off you're at the wrong door.

I can't recall the last time, if ever,  I noticed or recognized a doormat. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'd bet if you put a red doormat in front of 100 homes that quite a few would notice, and quite a few wouldn't.

Especially if I was really fucked up or exhausted from a long day at work.

Sometime in the last month there was a deadly car crash here locally, fool ran a stop sign at a hwy intersection and t-boned a car killing both occupants. It may have been 2 days later the newspaper reported that the driver who ran the stop sign had meth and alcohol in the blood.

Crazy how fast this stuff can be reported.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I bet if I put a red one in front of your door before you got home you'd notice.

or you'd at least notice something was "different." my wife once threw away an older doormat before buying a new one. when i got home, i stopped on the sidewalk and looked around, making sure i was at he right house. i didn't notice the doormat was gone, but something was wrong.

and let's not forget part of her fucking job is supposed to be keen observation and recall.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not saying I'm absolutely certain she was under the influence of something, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe that if a police officer's toxicology report came back clean that it wouldn't have been leaked by now.

Thin blue line

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'd bet if you put a red doormat in front of 100 homes that quite a few would notice, and quite a few wouldn't.

Raises hand......My wife has done some serious redecorating before and it took me days of living in the house to notice. 

She and the decorator had a side bet on how long it would take, based on my historical tunnel vision.  I know I'm not alone in that regard.

Unless I had to get a key out from under that mat, it would likely be some time before my brain clicked that something was different.

Additionally, the scars on my shins and my crooked toes tell a tale that I often fail to look down when walking.

It's a small piece of the story but not crucial or definitive in my opinion.

Why would a cop (especially one who appears to have "I'm a badass cop" syndrome) bother with making a noise complaint? I would assume she'd just go to his apartment, in uniform, and tell him to keep it down. She doesn't even have to tell him she lives there.  How would he know? If a cop comes to my door about the noise, I wouldn't assume that he/she must live here, too.

And I'm in club "never notice the doormat". Even if I did, I'd probably assume it got kicked down the hall from next door by some kids or something. 

46 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not saying I'm absolutely certain she was under the influence of something, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe that if a police officer's toxicology report came back clean that it wouldn't have been leaked by now.

Motherfucking this. It's straight from their playbook. 

Poor overworked UNION cop. Too bad there's no way to stop them from working overtime. Cops hammer truckers that work more than 10 hours a day because of safety. You don't want an 80,000 lb truck in the hands of someone with poor cognitive functions. But a cruiser and a gun? That's okie dokie and by the way... cut 'em some slack when they accidentally murder someone. They worked really hard that day to get home safe.

• Like 1

If a cop is working 16 hour days for a month straight, there's a very good chance it's because the cop is doing it voluntarily, working additional hours off-duty to make more money. That likely is a perk, not a requirement. 

The idea that Guyger should be allowed to work again as a cop is laughable, regardless of the outcome of her trial. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a super-substantive article, but confirms some of the lawdog speculation on here.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-police-officer-amber-guygers-defense-tactics-11735279

Jury selection is set for September 6.  Bit surprised no continuances.

Also an explanation of why Dallas (and other cops) avoid Dallas County facilities when turning themselves in.  https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/why-dallas-police-accused-of-crimes-avoid-the-dallas-county-jail-11700265

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Y'all remember I told ya she's walking?  She's walking.  She's a hero.  Not only should we not criticize her for this shooting, we should thank her for her dedication and hard work for our safety.  Really, it's only because she loved her duty SO MUCH that she ended up exhausted and shooting a guy on the wrong floor in the wrong apartment with the wrong number outside.

So, thank her, and BACK THE BLUE!

yeah the mistake of fact defense seems like shes got a real fucking chance of getting off entirely... hell she will probably get her pension back unless by some miracle 3 white, female, jurors are cop-skeptics and actually follow their conscience and ask.... if this lady was not a cop, would she ever have a chance in hell of being able to make the same defense as she is trying to do now?????....

and even more so, if the roles were completely reversed and Jean (the scary, tall, large, pot smoking black man) managed to accidentally go into the wrong apartment, somehow manage to open a door that is supposed to not open without the correct key, and walk in on a white female in her underwear (btw, cant forget shes a cop), and she lunges for a gun, and he (for the purpose of argument) is a legal LTC carrier, and he pops her because he legit thinks hes got a crackhead white girl who broke into his apartment and now is lunging for something that looks a lot like a gun.

LOL are you fucking kidding me?  Jean would have immediately had his ass beat by every fucking cop that showed up as soon as they realized she was a not a dead white crackhead, but a dead card-carrying-blue-badge-wearing white girl and he would have been immediately put on trial for Murder 1 of a cop with the death sentence on the line.    and he sure as shit would have been convicted of murder, (but maybe not Murder 1 Capital Punishment)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

yeah the mistake of fact defense seems like shes got a real fucking chance of getting off entirely... hell she will probably get her pension back unless by some miracle 3 white, female, jurors are cop-skeptics and actually follow their conscience and ask.... if this lady was not a cop, would she ever have a chance in hell of being able to make the same defense as she is trying to do now?????....

and even more so, if the roles were completely reversed and Jean (the scary, tall, large, pot smoking black man) managed to accidentally go into the wrong apartment, somehow manage to open a door that is supposed to not open without the correct key, and walk in on a white female in her underwear (btw, cant forget shes a cop), and she lunges for a gun, and he (for the purpose of argument) is a legal LTC carrier, and he pops her because he legit thinks hes got a crackhead white girl who broke into his apartment and now is lunging for something that looks a lot like a gun.

LOL are you fucking kidding me?  Jean would have immediately had his ass beat by every fucking cop that showed up as soon as they realized she was a not a dead white crackhead, but a dead card-carrying-blue-badge-wearing white girl and he would have been immediately put on trial for Murder 1 of a cop with the death sentence on the line.    and he sure as shit would have been convicted of murder, (but maybe not Murder 1 Capital Punishment)

The underlying theme will 100% be not just that it was a mistake-in-fact, but....come on, folks.....who among us WOULDN'T react with deadly force upon seeing a threatening thug* menacingly coming towards us.

* And everyone here knows what I mean by "thug," right?

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That defense would seem to call into question Dallas' policy of overworking its LEOs to the point that they have a bunch of zombies who are completely incapable of determining who to shoot.

It sounds as though they will have open season to go into any apartment they want and do just that.

The blueprint will be meticulously laid out and an established legal precedent as the cherry on top.

Edited by Orange&White