Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am just making sure I understand the ins and out and what have you's. Gooby's comments confused the hell out of me and made me question what I thought I knew.

I was told she'd be back.  Imagine my dismay at some 5'6" dude on the stand who has horrible luck finding his apartment.

12 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Again after you fucking make this mistake once, how the fuck do you not become aware and give the slightest effort???? Just inconceivable to me.

M&A at Kirkland & Ellis that's how.

Initially a dig at biglaw corporate types, but to be fair, that guy has probably put in more than his share of all-nighters.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

OK I'm trying to fight crime fighting and my legal assistant is off and the goddamn phone won't stop ringing.

Did the state not re-cross Guyger after lunch?

Nope.  We are now on to bumbling neighbors who can't find their apartments and their keys haven't worked at one time or another. 

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe it's just me, but all this testimony about going to the wrong apartment now seems almost irrelevant.

It now seems to be all about what happened at the door.

Unless they say “I walked into an apartment with with a doormat, even though mine didn’t have one, and a cracked open door, behind which I could hear a person walking around,” it doesn’t seem like it should move the needle.

2 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

Unless they say “I walked into an apartment with with a doormat, even though mine didn’t have one, and a cracked open door, behind which I could hear a person walking around,” it doesn’t seem like it should move the needle.

And also then I immediately murdered them because fear for my life yo.

• Like 1

Just now, hullabelew said:

He will let them keep bringing these lost fools up...and in closing, 'and not a one of them killed anyone'. 

And not a one of them pulled a weapon. And not a one of them expressed any fear for their lives. And not a one of them had the extra security blanket of a taser and a police radio. 

2 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

They are going to keep doing this until the judge makes them stop.  

It’s Friday afternoon after a week of testimony. Plus the most exciting witness  testified this morning. The jury isn’t listening anymore. The defense is just waiting for recess so they can build up their defense through experts tomorrow when the jury is fresh again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Orange&White said:

If the defense keeps bringing up people to say that they were often confused, could the prosecution just ask them "Did anyone die when that happened?"

they don't even have to ask that.  they just have to ask "when you heard people inside what you thought was your apartment were you scared for your life".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

If the defense keeps bringing up people to say that they were often confused, could the prosecution just ask them "Did anyone die when that happened?"

They have.  Sometimes, from a persuasion standpoint, it's better to let the jury reach that conclusion unaided than give them the old trout slap.

This testimony is just a bunch of wadding the defense is shoving in the gaping wound that the state blew in the defendant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

they don't even have to ask that.  they just have to ask "when you heard people inside what you thought was your apartment were you scared for your life".

IANAL but I've watched enough legal dramas on film and television to know you don't ask a question when you're not sure of the answer. This question could very easily be answered "yes" by someone. The question "in those situations did you ever shoot anyone?" would be a lot safer way to go based on my Hollywood expertise.

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

The one thing I keep thinking about is that if my job is as an apartment maintenance person, this case could very well insure that it is absolutely 100% ok for someone to shoot me while I am doing my job.

I thought of this, too. If I'm an apartment maintenance guy I would refuse to enter an unoccupied apartment at any time moving forward.

• Like 1